Up sell story

spyro1952

I got an offer for an up sell offer today for the Emerald TA in April. We were originally in a mini D423, and offered an up sell to a full suite $599. I didn't think it was a bad deal since it worked out to another 42.50/day. My friend is from Dublin and will shop till she drops in the states so we definitely need as much space as possible.

I called the number, left the message, and Mary (capacity manager) called back. She rattled off what she had available and I should have made a list of suite areas before I talked to her. Anyway, I took an aft suite on Dolphin deck D737. When I went back to the deck plan and looked at my choice, I was like not so happy. It was an S6 Vista suite with an obstructed balcony. So I quickly looked at the clock, called Mary back again and changed it to R404 which is mid ship and bigger.

Moral of this story for me, if I should ever get another upset offer, write down what they are offering and look at the specific deck plan. Do the math - is it really worth it? I am used to the old days when you got the free upgrade so I'm not sure if I will get in the habit of doing this. This cruise was pretty cheap, for the mid ship mini it was only $1800.00 for the 14 days so it wasn't such a big deal to spend the extra $$$. Actually, we were originally booked with the sip n sail and rebooked when the rates dropped. The upset price for the suite is still less than what we were going to pay if we took the drink package.

Edited by spyro1952

D737 has a huge balcony. True it has a beam which is no problem. You get 2 lounge chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Also when you have had to much sun the beam provides shade and is not in the way. We always stay in the aft suites either on the Dolphin deck or the Caribe. We have stayed on the emerald deck aft suites also, the balcony is a little smaller.

I'm on that one too. I think you did great with the upsell. Did you book directly through Princess or through a TA?

Hi Heather, I booked it directly through Princess. TA or Princess is another quandary for me as I like the rates my TA gives me but I like having that 7 day a week access to Princess booking.

Marcia

D737 has a huge balcony. True it has a beam which is no problem. You get 2 lounge chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Also when you have had to much sun the beam provides shade and is not in the way. We always stay in the aft suites either on the Dolphin deck or the Caribe. We have stayed on the emerald deck aft suites also, the balcony is a little smaller.

Thanks, I'll remember that but since this is a transatlantic, I'm not sure we would not spend as much time on the balcony and for this trip would rather have the bigger space inside. Thanks so much for your insight though.

Edited by spyro1952

Actually, the Dolphin suite would have been much better. You're on Riviera deck, under public decks, pool deck, etc. It might be very noisy! The obstruction on Dolphin deck is fairly minimal...

I'd say congratulations on your upsell but...I hope I'm wrong. Enjoy your cruise!

Yep, you're probably right and hopefully it won't be too bad. I never thought about that. But on the other hand, for me, this suite is less than half the price I'm paying for a suite on the Regal the end of this month for 2 weeks.

We are up early 5:30 or 6:00 am so we may not notice it as much as late sleepers. thanks for the heads up.

Yep, you're probably right and hopefully it won't be too bad. I never thought about that. But on the other hand, for me, this suite is less than half the price I'm paying for a suite on the Regal the end of this month for 2 weeks.

We are up early 5:30 or 6:00 am so we may not notice it as much as late sleepers. thanks for the heads up.

Can you try calling Princess first thing in the morning? You may be able to change!

Hi Heather, I booked it directly through Princess. TA or Princess is another quandary for me as I like the rates my TA gives me but I like having that 7 day a week access to Princess booking.

Marcia

If your using a TA you can still call Princess (Inventory Control) and ask to have your email attached to any up sell offer. They will let you by pass the TA for booking an up sell offer. Most up sells are time critical so this way if your TA is not available you also get the email offer.

We have been in R405 on the Emerald and the equivalent of D737 on the Sapphire. I would take D737 hands down over R404 because the balcony is so much larger and more useful and there will be great wake views on the TA. Having said that, the balcony on R404 will work OK for two people. Enjoy your suite upsell!

I got an offer for an up sell offer today for the Emerald TA in April. We were originally in a mini D423, and offered an up sell to a full suite $599. I didn't think it was a bad deal since it worked out to another 42.50/day. My friend is from Dublin and will shop till she drops in the states so we definitely need as much space as possible.

I called the number, left the message, and Mary (capacity manager) called back. She rattled off what she had available and I should have made a list of suite areas before I talked to her. Anyway, I took an aft suite on Dolphin deck D737. When I went back to the deck plan and looked at my choice, I was like not so happy. It was an S6 Vista suite with an obstructed balcony. So I quickly looked at the clock, called Mary back again and changed it to R404 which is mid ship and bigger.

Moral of this story for me, if I should ever get another upset offer, write down what they are offering and look at the specific deck plan. Do the math - is it really worth it? I am used to the old days when you got the free upgrade so I'm not sure if I will get in the habit of doing this. This cruise was pretty cheap, for the mid ship mini it was only $1800.00 for the 14 days so it wasn't such a big deal to spend the extra $$$. Actually, we were originally booked with the sip n sail and rebooked when the rates dropped. The upset price for the suite is still less than what we were going to pay if we took the drink package.

D737 is awesome we have been in it many times - HUGE balcony on the corner with beautiful aft views - the side suites have teeny balconies - it is not obstructed in any way -

Edited by deise17311

Marcia

Since there is now no chance of an upsell or upgrade...switch to your TA now and get some better pricing. Win/win:D

Since there is now no chance of an upsell or upgrade...switch to your TA now and get some better pricing. Win/win:D

We sail 60 days from today and it's all paid for so there would not be any advantage to re-book at this point. Would probably end up paying a lot more.

I prefer mid ship and would have taken the cabin you took. I have sailed many times in a suite on Riviera deck and there was no noise. The location is very convenient.

Yes, I do have to agree with you. A huge balcony on a TA in early April is not a big point for us. BUT easy access to Churchill's and the IC is and also the extra 75 sq ft. is great for our situation. :):)

I had a balcony on Riviera deck on the CB many years ago and it was noisy but it was also a trip in the middle of summer from NY to St. Thomas etc. There was a constant moving of chairs on the deck early by chair hogs and LOTS of kids.

I took an upsell to R417 suite midship on my upcoming cruise, only suite left at the time or I would not have. I had a balcony on Riviera deck once, can't recall the ship, and about 4 am the chairs above were scraping the deck. I will bring earplugs this time and hope cruzsnooze is right!

I think you will be quite happy with your choice. Accept that you have made the choice and don't try to second guess yourself at this point. I'm sure you will love the suite for your TA. Don't forget to do breakfast in Sabatini's. Enjoy your cruise. I am jealous. :)

We have been fortunate enough to have had upsells 3 times and loved then all: Star Princess Barbados PH Suite, C415, best of all and no noise! Then the Golden Princess Corsica PH Suite S703, also noisy but great. Lastly the Caribbean Princess San Juan PH Suite R415, noisy but great. Regardless Emerald Princess, Aft Vista Suite D737 is a Suite that people seek out! Aft, Large Balcony and a Suite, what is there not to like?

Breakfast at Sabatini's or Crown Grill?

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling