Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

I've been following this since returning from my cruise on the Getaway Sunday morning. I cannot imagine how scared you all were but you have all handled it amazingly well! Kudos to the crew and the captain as this was obviously not in the plans.

I wish you all safe passage back to New Jersey and I'm glad to hear you are all safe!

Have they given you a letter in your cabin outlining any of this, or has it all been overhead announcements?

We got a letter last night about the compensation and the decision to return to port. Nothing about today's news as it was just announced after 6:00. I believe the luggage tags are being delivered at turndown tonight for those opting to stay on until Thursday. And as mentioned, they're putting together w show for the TV with more information and instructions so we'll see what new information that brings.

And thanks everyone for your kind words!

What do YOU think refunding 4200 passengers in full, giving 50% off the next cruise and now offering flight change financial help will do to the "bottom line $"

The accusations that Royal did this all on purpose is the most absurd thing I've read all day.

Agreed -- pure idiocy, and belied by basic math, let alone common sense. :rolleyes:

Intentionally sailing a very expensive new ship into a massive storm + putting thousands of lives in danger = Profit!

Good grief.

Latest Update from the Captain: Picking up the pilot at 6pm tomorrow, docking at 9pm in Bayonne, and we can either do express disembarkation up till midnight tomorrow, or stay onboard until Thursday morning when it will be regular disembarkation. They'll also have free shuttles to EWR. The girl at guest services (activities staff who is manning the outside as they're not letting anyone get into guest services...) said that the cruise line will pay any airline change fees, but not for an actual new ticket. So my new ticket I purchased for tomorrow at noon will be out of my own pocket (or my insurance) but if there's a fee to move that to Thursday, RCI will pick up the tab. Apparently there will be a show on channel 22 on the ship starting at 10pm with more information.

Why did you purchase a (new) ticket, did you not have the option to change the ticket you had for Saturday instead of buying a new one... Just wondering, cause in the past I have changed flight dates and just paid the change fee rather than buying a new ticket.

Why did you purchase a (new) ticket, did you not have the option to change the ticket you had for Saturday instead of buying a new one... Just wondering, cause in the past I have changed flight dates and just paid the change fee rather than buying a new ticket.

A bit of a long story. My original ticket was non-changeable and not refundable, on a regional airline that tends to cancel flights if a few flakes of snow are falling. So given the chance to not have any more delays and issues on this trip, I opted to purchase a new flight on a different (mainstream) airline. My insurance would reimburse the costs associated with either option. Unfortunately all flights were equally expensive so at that point, it didn't really make a difference.

For the wonderful travelers here making Lemonade. If staying in NYC and an art lover...one of my peak experiences was the Frick Collection Museum...it is small and just wonderful..in a real "home" of the past.

Hope this was ok given circumstances...know it should be technically elsewhere...just trying to share some fun option on the home stretch.

The Met is to die for too...and NYC day of show booth in Times Square is great to just get your last minute shows at best price..always something avbx there and you have to be last minute anyway so save money.

My favorite Museum so far in life except for what is in London and Paris....

Because of size and glamour of the period..just a great place...

http://www.frick.org/visit/museum.

You all who are being so sane are so very wonderful travelers we are learning from and thank you..we are with you in good thoughts.

Sarah from Montana

Edited by sjn911

Following the storm I felt that most people were handling it well and even after the cruise was canceled people seemed to give Royal the Benifit of the doubt. But today the tide seems to be changing. Many are questioning the decision to sail at all given the weather forecast. Also the change in arrival has not endeared cruisers. I am sure this is a PR nightmear for Royal. I think it is bad news for all cruise lines. Cruising and danger are not good bed fellows. I am sticking by my original thoughts this was Mother Nature throughing us a curveball. I can not imagine any experienced captain or Royal Caribbean either, putting us in danger on purpose.

I have changed my flights home twice so far. I was a little off put by the change of arrival, since the captain was so firm on his first announcement about when we would arrive. I am guessing that this may be a bad case of assuming the Port of New York could just let us arrive when we got back. Since I do not have to book a hotel and my second change of flights was at no cost - thank you - I am ready for one more day on the beautiful but some what ruffled Anthem.

Agreed -- pure idiocy, and belied by basic math, let alone common sense. :rolleyes:

Intentionally sailing a very expensive new ship into a massive storm + putting thousands of lives in danger = Profit!

Good grief.

It's either stupidity or greed. They rolled the dice and sailed rather than cancelling the cruise. They had no other place to go. If they can show any kind of negligence, the lawyers will bleed them dry, and rightfully so. It's very easy to send a ship out in inclement weather when you are sitting safe and warm in Miami.

This is a great report..not reading further until I get more news. I have a TA friend who once went through one on east coast in a high Cabin on the old NCL Dreamward or Windward where she described the water like you just did that high going through top level balconies and getting her floor wet. She has been on a million (lol) cruises and this bad is very rare but this sounds similar but a bit worse. I hope you get to enjoy NYC and thanks so much fro a realistic report. Scarey and so glad you are safe and sane and appreciative etc. I would hate it that bad. Had one semi rough time once...not that bad...much worse blizzards driving in Mt on interstate and on a ranch stuck on country roads etc. And some horror roof and glass breaking winds at 6000 feet,,eastern slope of Rockies in 70's.

One comfort I have is that somehow TV was operational and the fridges seemed to work and electricity...that to me is awesome...as well as Captain and crew from your story. How awful for the folks whose exterior door failed...that would rip through trying to keep mental security for sure. Thanks so much..have a safe return and wonderful time in NYC and an adventure for the books to share in future tales. Happy future travels. Looking forward to a cruise with this line one day.... Sarah

Also a few years ago Norwegian Dawn was hit with huge rough wave coming back from port canaveral headed back to New York.Damage was done and ship stopped in South Carolina for some repairs.

Following the storm I felt that most people were handling it well and even after the cruise was canceled people seemed to give Royal the Benifit of the doubt. But today the tide seems to be changing. Many are questioning the decision to sail at all given the weather forecast. Also the change in arrival has not endeared cruisers. I am sure this is a PR nightmear for Royal. I think it is bad news for all cruise lines. Cruising and danger are not good bed fellows. I am sticking by my original thoughts this was Mother Nature throughing us a curveball. I can not imagine any experienced captain or Royal Caribbean either, putting us in danger on purpose.

I have changed my flights home twice so far. I was a little off put by the change of arrival, since the captain was so firm on his first announcement about when we would arrive. I am guessing that this may be a bad case of assuming the Port of New York could just let us arrive when we got back. Since I do not have to book a hotel and my second change of flights was at no cost - thank you - I am ready for one more day on the beautiful but some what ruffled Anthem.

Hope you have a wonderful day onboard today! :)

Edited by Reader0108598

The only lies I see are yours. There's a big difference between the storm that was predicted and the storm the ship ran into...but you already knew that. You're just choosing to leave it out.

That is not true. The storm was upgraded to hurricane force on Saturday. All of the meteorologists on ABC NYC are confirming that.

That is not true. The storm was upgraded to hurricane force on Saturday. All of the meteorologists on ABC NYC are confirming that.

Hurricane force but not the 100 to 130 knots that may have occurred. That is double the hurricane force that was possible.

Can you show us the actual forecast you have referred to it dozens of times? One of your compatriots showed us one that left no doubt the captain made the right decision.

So please quit posting the quoted statement unless you can post an actual fact. It would be most helpful to an informed discussion. Of course, I am highly doubtful that is your intent, and that will be proven when you fail to post said factual forecast.

JC

Low level hurricane force winds which is not a problem for a ship but you knew that. You're just hellbent on spreading your venom.

I posted this on another of the threads, thought it worth posting here too

I really feel for you all, I would have been in bits and want off pdq. That said I can understand that it will take some time for rccl to arrange.

However I am quite surprised that they are only giving you 50% off your next cruise.

We were due to sail with Celebrity a few years ago, from LA to Hawaii for our honeymoon, when 2 days prior to sailing the cruise was cancelled due to technical issues.

We were already in Mexico, leaving 24 hours later for LA and as we are from the UK were a long way from home. It was also an Easter weekend, so getting any flight was almost impossible. Therefore, we tried to make the changes as simple as possible. We flew to LA as planned, then flew to Honolulu and stayed there for 2 weeks in a hotel rather than a ship!

That afternoon, with my new husband trying to placate me at having our cruise cancelled, we thought we would relax and go snorkelling. Long story short, I broke my arm, so we didn't have the best of days!

The point of the message, though is this. Everyone on board was given a full refund, although as I recall it did take a few weeks to come through, AND a 100% free cruise, in the same category of cabin. It was rather nice to have a free 2 week cruise, in a suite, for 14 nights in the med the following summer.

Personally, I think rccl should do the same for you guys.

Good luck guys, thinking of you all

Hurricane force but not the 100 to 130 knots that may have occurred. That is double the hurricane force that was possible.

Can you show us the actual forecast you have referred to it dozens of times? One of your compatriots showed us one that left no doubt the captain made the right decision.

So please quit posting the quoted statement unless you can post an actual fact. It would be most helpful to an informed discussion. Of course, I am highly doubtful that is your intent, and that will be proven when you fail to post said factual forecast.

JC

I am not sure why there are so many "Doubting Thomases" about what happened. It would not be in the captains or royals best interest to overstate what happened. More so to underplay it. I for one - and I am guessing most everyone else onboard, was checking the Itinerary Screen that shows position, heading, wind direction, and apparent wind speed - this information comes from wind measuring equipment on board. I saw speeds in knots over 150 a lot during the worst hours even saw a reading of 197 knots. Our ship speed at this point was rarely over 3knots.

On waves I have heard from several people on decks 9 and 10, on the side of the ship leaning toward the water, of watching a wave hit the ship and their balcony with the result of a flooded balcony and water leaking in over the 5 inch sill. I am not sure how big a wave that would be but 30ft seems to be a low estimate.

Doubt what you like this was one very bad storm.

On deck 7. I certainly remember seeing as high as 128 knots on the TV weather monitor...may have gone higher, but we were watching free PPV too.

We were in We Will Rock You show when they stopped it...big chair stage prop slid across stage.

Waves certainly above deck 4. From our stateroom on deck 7, probably not quite up to us, but damn high. Anyone who went out on balcony to film was a suicidal fool. Those HEAVY metal dividers between balconies...some tore off and flew away.

We did Ok...stuff flew around in cabin, just minor leaking around door frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kite99

I am not sure why there are so many "Doubting Thomases" about what happened. It would not be in the captains or royals best interest to overstate what happened. More so to underplay it. I for one - and I am guessing most everyone else onboard, was checking the Itinerary Screen that shows position, heading, wind direction, and apparent wind speed - this information comes from wind measuring equipment on board. I saw speeds in knots over 150 a lot during the worst hours even saw a reading of 197 knots. Our ship speed at this point was rarely over 3knots.

On waves I have heard from several people on decks 9 and 10, on the side of the ship leaning toward the water, of watching a wave hit the ship and their balcony with the result of a flooded balcony and water leaking in over the 5 inch sill. I am not sure how big a wave that would be but 30ft seems to be a low estimate.

Doubt what you like this was one very bad storm.

I do not doubt you experienced the storm you experienced. I was questioning the poster who said this storm was predicted. There was a storm predicted there was not a storm of the magnitude that occurred predicted.

It is important to read posts in context, and not take what people post out of context to make it sound like I am a doubting Thomas.

I believe you were in one heck of a bad storm. Period. I do not believe anyone when the ship sailed thought that storm existed.

JC... Sigh....

this information comes from wind measuring equipment on board. I saw speeds in knots over 150 a lot during the worst hours even saw a reading of 197 knots. Our ship speed at this point was rarely over 3knots.

Measuring equipment, especially things like anemometers that measure a particular value repeatedly over time, are subject to measurement error. An anemometer counts the number of rotations, or turns, which is used to calculate the wind speed. Rotations have to be put into a particular time interval. You can get large variations, especially in chaotic conditions when the equipment is bouncing around. A comparison is when I measure my pulse on the treadmill by holding the handles. It can be 156 and then the very next measurement be 90. Is my pulse varying that wildly? No; the equipment is just trying to fit the measurements of beats into its best estimate at the time. Please understand I am NOT saying any particular measurement you saw was incorrect...only that it easily could be.

If the ship is leaning towards the water, the distance to the bottom of the trough is less than if the ship was vertical. This leads to a feeling that the crest of the wave is higher (because you are reducing your height above the trough and increasing the distance to the crest). Additionally, when the wave hits the ship, the water has to go somewhere, so it splashes up, causing water to crash across higher decks than the true height of the wave. Wave height has a specific measurement - the distance between the trough and the crest. How high water will reach on a ship is a function of more than just that.

We experienced a nasty nighttime storm returning from Alaska in May years ago. Max wave height was reported as 32 feet. We were allowed to leave our cabins (but not to go out on deck, of course), which made me happy, because there were a lot of us who felt misery loved company (and there was no way we could sleep through the storm, either). The officers were also walking around, looking calm and professional, which helped reassure people. Storms happen. Ships are built to sail through them. It is, of course, nervewracking for non-sailors used to calm seas to sail through them.

I was NOT on the Anthem. NOT judging your experience, NOR your worry. NOT making any judgment as to whether or not the Anthem should have sailed.

From what I read they were forecasting winds in the 75-80 mph, which is low end of hurricane scale... cat 1. So yes a hurricane....But it sounds like the winds they had were actually closer to a cat 4... The question is not if a storm was predicted.... there is always a storm.... the question is did they go out knowing they were sailing into a cat 4 level storm? So far it sounds like yes there were going to be hurricane force winds... est cat 1... but what they experienced as an unexpected cat 4.... or there abouts. There is a lot of circular arguments... Did the weather folks miss the forecast and underestimate the seriousness of the storm? See now I can turn this all around and blame the weather folks for once again missing a storm. But I am not doing that.... Stuff happens. Ships sail in bad weather all the time.... cant be avoided or nothing would ever move. You have to make a judgement call. Sometimes it goes against you. I can not believe a captain would risk the lives of his passengers and crew period. Makes no sense. Perhaps there is an opportunity to improve wind forecasting to provide a more timely forecast of increasing winds... assuming ships have not already departed