Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

From what I read they were forecasting winds in the 75-80 mph, which is low end of hurricane scale... cat 1. So yes a hurricane....But it sounds like the winds they had were actually closer to a cat 4... The question is not if a storm was predicted.... there is always a storm.... the question is did they go out knowing they were sailing into a cat 4 level storm? So far it sounds like yes there were going to be hurricane force winds... est cat 1... but what they experienced as an unexpected cat 4.... or there abouts. There is a lot of circular arguments... Did the weather folks miss the forecast and underestimate the seriousness of the storm? See now I can turn this all around and blame the weather folks for once again missing a storm. But I am not doing that.... Stuff happens. Ships sail in bad weather all the time.... cant be avoided or nothing would ever move. You have to make a judgement call. Sometimes it goes against you. I can not believe a captain would risk the lives of his passengers and crew period. Makes no sense. Perhaps there is an opportunity to improve wind forecasting to provide a more timely forecast of increasing winds... assuming ships have not already departed

Not only did the strength of the storm increase (winds), the size also increased so they could not go around it, which I think they initially thought they would be able to, but it grew and intensified too rapidly. If they can never sail again when there is a storm brewing in the Atlantic, cruising as we know it will end.

I'm not sure if this made one of the many threads, but I just watched this video on You Tube. Given the vantage point, it must have been shot by a crew member.

There are a few points during this video where I was holding my breath!:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiH1gOI1YOs

Edited by Overtyme

I'm not sure if this made one of the many threads, but I just watched this video on You Tube. Given the vantage point, it must have been shot by a crew member.

I don't think that's even a cruise ship but I could be wrong.

Edited by Big_G

Whoever said that was a video from the Anthem lied....:rolleyes:

Good grief....:rolleyes:

JC

I don't think that's even a cruise ship but I could be wrong.

It didn't look like Anthem to me either. I thought there was a place on Anthem marked for a helicopter hookup at the front, but the video is labeled otherwise.

Someone who knows the ship better - is this Anthem?

I do not doubt you experienced the storm you experienced. I was questioning the poster who said this storm was predicted. There was a storm predicted there was not a storm of the magnitude that occurred predicted.

It is important to read posts in context, and not take what people post out of context to make it sound like I am a doubting Thomas.

I believe you were in one heck of a bad storm. Period. I do not believe anyone when the ship sailed thought that storm existed.

JC... Sigh....

If I took your comments out of context I apologize - i was trying not too. I also was not just pointing to you or even this post. There are some other posts where others have challenged what happened as not possible. My point was mostly to support what others on board had posted - they where not exaggerations but individual perspectives on something that was very significant for all of us on board.

I for one am not traumatized by the experience or angry with the Capt or Royal. It was something that happened and I am doing my best to make lemonade.

Last I think we may be the only people on earth that ever watched the Super Bowl from the Eye of a Hurricane. :D:cool:

Edited by AdvGirl

If I took your comments out of context I apologize - i was trying not too. I also was not just pointing to you or even this post. There are some other posts where others have challenged what happened as not possible. My point was mostly to support what others on board had posted - they where not exaggerations but individual perspectives on something that was very significant for all of us on board.

I for one am not traumatized by the experience or angry with the Capt or Royal. It was something that happened and I am doing my best to make lemonade.

Last I think we may be the only people on earth that ever watched the Super Bowl from the Eye of a Hurricane. :D:cool:

Glad you are putting a positive spin on it. Yes, the super bowl that was mostly forgettable to the country, will always be a great memory for you.

It is all good between you and I in my eyes. It has been an amazingly weird week in the CC posting world. Lots of people with lots of agendas spouting out things that are beyond amazing. I, personally, have no agenda, except that the truth be heard, and that people are not condemned without all of the facts being known.

Have a safe trip home.

JC

Also a few years ago Norwegian Dawn was hit with huge rough wave coming back from port canaveral headed back to New York.Damage was done and ship stopped in South Carolina for some repairs.

Thank you. It just is the truth that fast storms happen and we are no God in predicting. I do not believe they meant to go into it. However it is important to study it all...what they know when and where etc. I know on the ranch we ranched and in Alaska much worse...things with lightening...storms even on dry land ..clouds and freezing rain, white out blizzards below zero and 100 mph gusts.....just everything...old man weather is the boss.

I hope and am inclined to think the Captain and ship strength worked wonders and knowledge of possibility to get this bad was not there...

Praying for folks on ship, for all that they "know and learn more from the truth" and that all will enjoy travel again...

Still can't believe just because of my experience of storm is no electricity or water on the ranch and totally different...having tv and movies to help a bit..kind of a mini miracle...

Godspeed all.:o:)

PS..I do wish it was 100% off next one...this was bad enough for that.

Edited by sjn911

Interesting video, but I don't even think it is a cruise ship!!!

Glad you are putting a positive spin on it. Yes, the super bowl that was mostly forgettable to the country, will always be a great memory for you.

It is all good between you and I in my eyes. It has been an amazingly weird week in the CC posting world. Lots of people with lots of agendas spouting out things that are beyond amazing. I, personally, have no agenda, except that the truth be heard, and that people are not condemned without all of the facts being known.

Have a safe trip home.

JC

Yes- truth and remember that everyone on this cruise viewed and experienced this storm in their own way. I know that many people onboard had much more scary experience then I did. While others had similar experiences to myself.