Fort Lauderdale and Global Entry / NEXUS

mrell345

Could those who already have a Global Entry card tell me how long it took from time of application to the interview?

TIA

My card just came in the mail today.... I applied February 1 and had my interview February 10. My husband got approved even faster than I did but he was in the military and works in corrections so his background check was probably quicker.

To a CPB office, most likely located in your nearest airport. A handful of cities have non-airport locations.

And if you have a non-airport location near you, use that instead of the airport.

Unlike others who had to schedule their interviews months away, I scheduled mine for the next day after I received my conditional approval. If you live near a border, particularly one on a major interstate, there are usually locations there that handle the process.

To a CPB office, most likely located in your nearest airport. A handful of cities have non-airport locations.

And if you have a non-airport location near you, use that instead of the airport.

Unlike others who had to schedule their interviews months away, I scheduled mine for the next day after I received my conditional approval. If you live near a border, particularly one on a major interstate, there are usually locations there that handle the process.

Our closest airport is Fort Lauderdale. Just did a search and the office is close to the port.

Edited by metairiegal

When we got off the Regal a few weeks ago, they did not let Nexus into the Global entry lane. The Princess rep said no, and when we finally got to the customs agent, I asked him and he gave me some bogus answer about why we couldn't use it. I felt the entire time like we should have been able to use our cards...next time I will try harder!

When we got off the Regal a few weeks ago, they did not let Nexus into the Global entry lane. The Princess rep said no, and when we finally got to the customs agent, I asked him and he gave me some bogus answer about why we couldn't use it. I felt the entire time like we should have been able to use our cards...next time I will try harder!

Like I said in an earlier post, it depends on who you see. When applying for the GOES card, I was told by the Homeland Security agent at my interview, that the NEXUS card was only for travel between USA and Canada. So a cruise to the Caribbean from FLL would not qualify. Also I was told to carry my GOES card until I renewed my passport and then it will appear on the passport.

Obviously, each immigration agent interprets the "rules" slightly different.

Many posters here were able to use the NEXUS card and just a few not able. Looks like the luck of the draw. Not sure if telling an immigration officer that he /she is wrong would be a good move!! LOL

One tip if you decide to go for your GE. Once you have interim approval, and you get the go-ahead to schedule your appointment-- you may want to make it a point to go back every so often and check to see if you can get an earlier appointment.
Now you tell me! :) I applied in December and the earliest appointment was March 1st. That's only a couple of weeks away now but I bet if I'd been more proactive, I could have made an earlier appointment. For me, the Long Beach office is the closest and it's not at the airport... it's on the beach!

Like I said in an earlier post, it depends on who you see. When applying for the GOES card, I was told by the Homeland Security agent at my interview, that the NEXUS card was only for travel between USA and Canada. So a cruise to the Caribbean from FLL would not qualify. Also I was told to carry my GOES card until I renewed my passport and then it will appear on the passport.

Obviously, each immigration agent interprets the "rules" slightly different.

Many posters here were able to use the NEXUS card and just a few not able. Looks like the luck of the draw. Not sure if telling an immigration officer that he /she is wrong would be a good move!! LOL

That is interesting.... since I applied at a Canadian border, everyone else was applying for NEXUS and the interviewing agent told me that NEXUS does more than GE even though it is half the price. I think she meant that you can cross into Canada with it at the speed lane which you can't do with GE. Reading this thread I guess it is a good thing I went for the GE just in case.

The Golbal entry site says this for Nexus (Cut and paste from Nexus page).

"The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada."

It does not say it is only for travel between US and Canada, however I am with a previous poster, not a good idea to argue with border services agents.

I have used it a number of times when entering Canada from Europe at the airport kiosks.

I think the problem here is dealing with agents not kiosks, if the Kiosk accepts it it works everytime, dealing with humans leaves things open to interpretation.

Edited by mrell345

One of the Frequently Asked Questions on the Global Entry website

(https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions):

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card.
You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.

One of the Frequently Asked Questions on the Global Entry website

(https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions):

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card.
You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.

This is, I believe, referring to using the NEXUS card as your document for entry into the U.S. In other words, in those specific locations, you can show a NEXUS card instead of a passport. This is distinct from having entitlement to use Global Entry. As I understand it, NEXUS card holders are entitled to use Global Entry. That entitlement is coded in their system based on your passport number and is checked at the kiosk. But it sounds like at the cruise port, there are no kiosks so they want to see Global Entry cards to establish entitlement. So a NEXUS card should be just as good but as was stated, it's up to the people who may not have been fully trained.

Ironically, I was told I have no need to carry the GE card for normal travel as it's only practical use would be a substitute for a NEXUS card when entering the U.S. on land or sea from Canada or for a SENTRI card when entering from Mexico. Situations where the card is used instead of your passport.

A nit: please don't call a Global Entry card a "GOES card". GOES is the enrollment system (Global Online Enrollment System) used for all the CBP Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST). It is not the name of any of the Trusted Traveler programs.

Make sure your Wife's reservation has her Nexus Card number on it otherwise the Boarding Pass will not have the Pre cleared notation.

I had the same problem until I realized what was wrong.

A bit off topic here but if you have NEXUS and are travelling in Canada you can use the priority lane at domestic security screening also, not just customs and not like TSE Pre where it is hit and miss sometimes, I have had the TSE on my ticket and my wife on the same reservation has not for some reason. For 55 bucks a year, even if I only travel by plance once a year it is a no brainer.

We have had our Nexus Cards for 5 years now. The only time we use the Cards is to clear through the Nexus Kiosks at YYZ, all other times we use the GE Machines with our Passports, when entering the US from anywhere in the world. Over the last 5 years I can not count how many hours it has saved us from standing in the Immigration or TSA lines.

The only place we have had problems with Nexus/GE has been at Pier 2 in Ft Lauderdale. That is because as most people have said there are no Kiosks. The last 2 times we have disembarked and tried to use the Nexus/GE line the Princess Agent has refused anyone from using it saying it was closed. We asked the Border Agent and he said the Princess Agents just can't get it through there heads that this is a new procedure. Some do most don't then he laughed and sent us on our way.

Both Nexus and GE are offering more new entry privileges, in Mexico, Panama and I just received an invitation from Great Britain that I am eligible to apply for their pre clear entry program.

Now you tell me! :) I applied in December and the earliest appointment was March 1st. That's only a couple of weeks away now but I bet if I'd been more proactive, I could have made an earlier appointment. For me, the Long Beach office is the closest and it's not at the airport... it's on the beach!

Keep checking! We found that people cancel all the time. That leaves a spot open on the e-calendar.

Some places do walk ins...No appointments were available in Charlotte so I just went in and when people did not show up I got my interview :-)

That is where I got mine too. I had no idea that this was an option. The two TSA agents who do the interviews in Charlotte are lovely. They asked who my travel companions were, and I let them know that until recently, my mom had been one of mine. The agent got out of her seat and hugged me. I was touched.

That is where I got mine too. I had no idea that this was an option. The two TSA agents who do the interviews in Charlotte are lovely. They asked who my travel companions were, and I let them know that until recently, my mom had been one of mine. The agent got out of her seat and hugged me. I was touched.

Just as an FYI, they are not TSA agents who do the interviews. It's CBP agents and they are a whole different deal.

Also you do not need to go to the closest location. You can go to any location :-) IF you are traveling, check to see if appointments are available on your route or at your travel location.

Yep. My wife had hers done while we were on vacation in Orlando (an appointment locally would have been two months later). Even was able to get a start of day appointment so minimal time lost at WDW. Done a few days before departure, she had Pre-Check for our flight home.

I would have done the same except I had it even better. Working for an airline at our HQ, our security people (who work closely with with CBP and TSA) had arranged for CBP to come in and do on-site interviews. So done at work before the Orlando trip.

But when my wife went for hers with me along, the CBP agent at Orlando was aghast that I had not had the kiosk demo that they do at normal locations (no kiosk brought along for our in-house interviews). But ironically, the first place I used GE was at Guam where because Guam has their own Customs (keep in mind that despite the common use of "Customs" to mean the entire process, Customs only deals with admissibility of property; Immigration deals with the admissibility of people) separate from U.S. Customs, Global Entry is only used for the Immigration piece and the kiosks there do not ask the Customs questions. So much for the demo since it didn't match the experience (but did a few days later when returning to the U.S. mainland via Japan).

My wife had hers done while we were on vacation in Orlando (an appointment locally would have been two months later). Even was able to get a start of day appointment so minimal time lost at WDW. Done a few days before departure, she had Pre-Check for our flight home.

We're doing the same as your wife. We're at Old Key West at Walt Disney World until late March and were able to book appointments at MCO for the same date and time. Interviews at home would have required a 1½ hour drive each way. Doing it here will be much more convenient.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Make sure your Wife's reservation has her Nexus Card number on it otherwise the Boarding Pass will not have the Pre cleared notation.

I had the same problem until I realized what was wrong.

when doing the online checkin i always input our nexus card numbers