Piracy In The High Seas

How do cruise ships combat piracy in the high seas, in the middle of nowhere? I can just imagine water cannons appearing from the side of the ship pointing towards the pirates to prevent them from boarding the ship.

I think they have sonic devices like LRAD and could probably use the fire hoses and other non lethal methods to keep pirates from boarding the ship. Also, hile I very well could be wrong, Im convinced there are firearms onboard that only certain high security people can access.

Id like to see Chengkp75 chime in on this one!

How do cruise ships combat piracy in the high seas, in the middle of nowhere? I can just imagine water cannons appearing from the side of the ship pointing towards the pirates to prevent them from boarding the ship.

We sailed through the Gulf of Aden ( from Dubai to Istanbul) this past May. During that time we had 24/7 security constantly watching the area with large binoculars. We had a drill in case there were any issues. ( called safe haven - where rather than going to a muster station, all passengers remain inside the ship and away from any windows. ) We had to keep the windows/curtains closed during dark for the 5 nights we sailed the area so security had the best view. We were not allowed on outside decks from sundown to sunrise as we went through the area. The captain had reports every few hours during the day to keep us updated. I heard we had some sort of US military ship behind us, but that may have been a coincidence.

I guess all this does not directly answer the question but points out that in certain areas, there are precautions taken so that there are no surprises.

I would imagine that with all the security we saw, that there was lots more we didn't see.

M

Someone I sailed with told me about how they sailed through pirate infested waters. Ship sailed dark at night, no going outside, curtains to remain closed, very very dim lights at dinner, armed guys on the decks and there was a special code that would be said over the speakers if ship was taken over. It meant that everyone had to go to inside cabin. Scary story :-O

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Someone I sailed with told me about how they sailed through pirate infested waters. Ship sailed dark at night, no going outside, curtains to remain closed, very very dim lights at dinner, armed guys on the decks and there was a special code that would be said over the speakers if ship was taken over. It meant that everyone had to go to inside cabin. Scary story :-O

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

All true on our May voyage on Rhapsody. We did see the armed security on deck while they were constantly looking through binoculars. Seemed like regular guns so we all guessed there was a larger arsenal below. Our code was "Safe Haven" and in an emergency would be said three times. We had a drill early in the cruise. Those in areas like the theater could stay there, those in inside cabins could stay there. All others had to go to any area with no windows. Those in OV/Balcony cabins had to leave the cabin. Drill lasted about 30 minutes.

Security guards were friendly and open to passenger's questions.

We NEVER felt scared.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

On Navigator in December at "Captain's Corner" Q & A: a 12 year old boy asked this very question. The captain told us that he couldn't reveal details but the biggest advantage was that our ship could go faster for a longer period of time than any pirate boat.

I think they have sonic devices like LRAD and could probably use the fire hoses and other non lethal methods to keep pirates from boarding the ship. Also, hile I very well could be wrong, Im convinced there are firearms onboard that only certain high security people can access.

Id like to see Chengkp75 chime in on this one!

You won't get many details from me, because each cruise line's security plan is different, and they are considered to be "secure" documents, which means they are kept in the Captain's safe, and those who have security duties are only told what they need to know to complete their duties. Really. So, basically, the Captain and Staff Captain are the only ones who will know all the details. Some lines carry firearms, some don't. Many security personnel are either ex-law enforcement or ex-military. NCL traditionally uses Gurkhas for security, and notes this by using the crossed Kukris as the badge of security personnel.

One thing passenger ships have going for them is the high freeboard. Loaded cargo ships' main decks are closer to the water than the promenade deck on even a mid-size passenger ship. Speed, as others have noted, is another asset. Even a speedy little pirate boat can't carry enough fuel to stay with a passenger ship indefinitely.

Another reason passenger ships are relatively safe, even in traditionally pirate waters, is the number of passengers. The pirates don't want to have to deal with hundreds or thousands of people, and keeping them under control, until a ransom is paid. And even the dumbest pirate knows that if they start knocking off passengers, the wrath of the world will come down on them. Pirates are looking for ransom, not really cash onboard, and they know the ships are not really a cash business. Even cargo ships, the crew is a minor inconvenience to the pirates, who know that the value of the cargo is much higher than the value of the crew, even to a Western company, and cargo containers don't need guarding.

Terrorists are more a threat to passenger ships than pirates, and cruise lines will hire additional security as and when needed. These will most often blend in as passengers. Back in the '70's when I took the QE2 transatlantic, I started talking to this guy who turned out to be a Pinkerton's detective, and that Cunard had one or two onboard every crossing, long before terrorists and 9/11.