Princess Insurance or Company suggested by TA?

flip side of fifty

I am Platinum and my husband is a first time cruiser. For our upcoming Alaska cruise tour he has priced out our insurance as follows:

The Princess insurance is a total of $716.22 for both of you…you at the “standard” price and your husband at the regular price for platinum.

Another option is to use Allianz travel insurance. The total for both of you would be $489.00.

Has anyone used this before? Thoughts or opinions are welcome. I have only used Princess Insurance before.

Thank you in advance

I am Platinum and my husband is a first time cruiser. For our upcoming Alaska cruise tour he has priced out our insurance as follows:

The Princess insurance is a total of $716.22 for both of you…you at the “standard” price and your husband at the regular price for platinum.

Another option is to use Allianz travel insurance. The total for both of you would be $489.00.

Has anyone used this before? Thoughts or opinions are welcome. I have only used Princess Insurance before.

Thank you in advance

Princess ins is usually 8 to 10% of the fare.

We always go with Princess because it covers their flights if booked through Princess and the cancel for any reason. And of course the free upgrade to Platinum.

Compare the coverage.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The coverage on the policies need to be compared item by item and then you have to soul search what you think is the risk that you want protection from. Although it doesnt matter much on an Alaska cruise because its mostly US, be aware that if your main insurance is Medicare, it doesnt cover you out of the country. Most Medicare supplements do provide a set dollar coverage but you might want to add to it especially if you feel that medical evacuation back home is a risk that you want to cover. That can cost 100s of thousands of dollars.

I did and the quotes were very similar to what was provided by my TA. I wrote my initial question on my phone (I should never do that because then I can't see what I wrote). My TA was the individual that recommended the optional insurance.

Neither of us are on Medicare (we have United Healthcare through Retirement), and we did not book our flights through Princess so we don't have that coverage anyway.

I am thinking of asking what the difference in cost is between me at my Platinum upgrade and then my husband at his standard instead of paying to upgrade him to Platinum coverage.

Anyone see anything wrong with that decision?

For some reason I always thought when one in the family was Platinum then everybody got Platinum insurance.

So your TA asked you to pick between the two insurance policies without sharing any of the terms with you? They sound as helpful as a screen door on a submarine.

Without much thought I came up with these questions off the top of my head:

What is coverage for medical evacuation? Princess is $50,000; any less is useless even if you are just going to the Caribbean or Mexico.

Is there any CFAR coverage with Allianz, and if so how does it pay out? Princess will give you 100% FCC for cancelling for a non-covered reason, but it must be redeemed within 12 months.

What is the lookback period for pre-existing medical conditions? Princess is only 60 days rather than the more common six months.

Is there a blackout period for cancellation--you must cancel, say, 24 or 48 [or more] hours before sailaway to be covered?

Trip delay coverage: how long must your flight be delayed for you to be reimbursed (standard is around 3 hours)? Any exclusions for bad weather?

I could go on...but will stop with the obvious: get a copy of the policy before you decide!

Edited by fishywood

So your TA asked you to pick between the two insurance policies without sharing any of the terms with you? They sound as helpful as a screen door on a submarine.

Without much thought I came up with these questions off the top of my head:

What is coverage for medical evacuation? Princess is $50,000; any less is useless even if you are just going to the Caribbean or Mexico.

Is there any CFAR coverage with Allianz, and if so how does it pay out? Princess will give you 100% FCC for cancelling for a non-covered reason, but it must be redeemed within 12 months.

What is the lookback period for pre-existing medical conditions? Princess is only 60 days rather than the more common six months.

Is there a blackout period for cancellation (you must cancel, say, 24 or 48 [or more] hours before sailaway to be covered?

Trip delay coverage: how long must your flight be delayed for you to be reimbursed (standard is around 3 hours)? Any exclusions for bad weather?

I could go on...but will stop with the obvious: get a copy of the policy before you decide!

Thank You Fishywood - you are so right - I will do that right now....

Feel kinda dumb...

I have always used travel safe policies bought thu the online site insure my trip .com We had to use it once and it was perfect out come ---except we had to cancel the cruise for work reasons. I like to compare the polices and don't like that I can't see the whole police from princess until it is bought.

Princess does have cancel for any reason but does not waive pre existing conditions as other insurances do if paid for within a couple weeks of booking

Princess' lookback period for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days. If you know that you have not had any acute medical issues in the two months prior to the day you pay for the insurance (and know that your physician will attest to that in writing if you should need to make a claim) you are perfectly fine. That mostly unnecessary "waiver" is as you indicate just a ploy to get you to pay for the insurance at the time of booking rather than with final payment.

I have always used travel safe policies bought thu the online site insure my trip .com We had to use it once and it was perfect out come ---except we had to cancel the cruise for work reasons. I like to compare the polices and don't like that I can't see the whole police from princess until it is bought.

Incorrect, the policy is always available on the Princess website under

Preparing for your vacation/Princess vacation protection.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Princess' lookback period for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days. If you know that you have not had any acute medical issues in the two months prior to the day you pay for the insurance (and know that your physician will attest to that in writing if you should need to make a claim) you are perfectly fine. That mostly unnecessary "waiver" is as you indicate just a ploy to get you to pay for the insurance at the time of booking rather than with final payment.

But if you do have been treated within the last 60 days, Princess insurance does not waive (no matter when you pay for it) as other insurances do.

Edited by SeaUs

Well I got my answers.

Allianz Insurance costs $489.00 for each. The coverage does "appear" to be the same. The existing condition is 120 days, not 60 on Princess. Nothing in the last 120 days would affect that.

Off the info brochure:

Trip Cancellation Up to 100% of Trip Cost 2 Reimburses your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you must cancel your trip due to a covered reason. Maximum coverage: $50,000. Trip Interruption Up to 150% of Trip Cost 2 Reimburses for the unused, non-refundable portion of your trip and for the increased transportation costs it takes for you to return home due to a covered reason. Maximum coverage: $75,000

"Emergency Medical and Dental $50,000 2 No deductibles. This secondary coverage provides reimbursements for losses due to covered medical and dental emergencies that occur during your trip. $500 maximum for emergency dental care.

Emergency Medical Transportation $1,000,000 Provides medically necessary transportation to the nearest appropriate facility following a covered injury or illness. Also covers the cost of your transportation back home following a covered injury or illness."

If I go with Princess Platinum for both of us it will be $716.22. If I go at the Platinum for me and the “standard” price and coverage for my husband is will be reduced coverage but $557.00. Reduction could amount to significant dollars if something happens.

I have one Good review above for Allianz, so even though I was not thinking this way before, now I am leaning that way unless someone has any negatives. I trust you more than my agent since his logo was on the brochure.

But if you do have been treated within the last 60 days, Princess insurance does not waive (no matter when you pay for it) as other insurances do.

I know that such a waiver can be necessary for some passengers.

Which leaves me to ponder: how often do people book a new cruise a very short period after suffering an acute medical crisis? Or who suffer one very shortly before final payment is due but do not consider it a sign to cancel?

Though I guess if it is a terminal diagnosis, one would want to keep their travel plans, insurance be damned; let their estate deal with the bill collectors. :rolleyes:

We have used Allianz many times and have had very good results with several claims. I have no complaints with them.

My agent's policy is much better compared to the coverage Princess has, especially for evacuation and medical coverage. It has higher coverage.

Usually if you buy within a specific time period, pre-existing conditions are waived. Check with your agent on this. My agent has pre-existing conditions waived if bought at final payment.

Edited by Coral

I have had to use Princess Insurance three times and have been satisfied with all my claims. It only took me once to learn that cruising without insurance is a bad idea.

Case #1: Mother-in-law had pneumonia. I went anyway, solo. No single supplement attached.

Case #2: Mother-in-law ended up in the hospital. I canceled cruise. 100% back without any penalties except for loss of insurance (I think). Whatever it was, I was very satisfied with the terms and ease of cancellation.

Case #3: Damaged luggage. Filed a claim with Princess. Insurance paid the difference of allowable.

Lots of paper work and documentation to receive compensation but it was actually much easier than I had expected.

You are Platinum and have the escalated premium.

Keep in mind that any medical evacuation from Alaska is going to be very pricey. Not all the towns/cities you visit will have medical care facilities. Skagway airlifts to Juneau which will cost you your arm AND leg.

Isn't United Health Care an HMO health plan?

I have been very happy with my insurance purchases. Princess does not charge you extra for age.

I showed the Allianz brochure to my husband. In the General Exclusions there is this information:

In addition to any other exclusions that may apply to a particular benefit, no coverage is provided for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following unless as specifically included: ..........; participation in or training for any professional or amateur sporting competition; participating in extreme, high risk sport

​My husband plays Ice Hockey 3 days a week. Nothing has happened in the past - but there have been plenty of examples over the years of friends getting hurt. It would be just our luck that we would not get to go on this trip due to a Hockey incident. :(

To even the playing field.. Does Princess have the same exclusion? I looked at the Princess Insurance on line and could not fine anything stating this but it may have been in the "fine Print" somewhere.

To even the playing field.. Does Princess have the same exclusion? I looked at the Princess Insurance on line and could not fine anything stating this but it may have been in the "fine Print" somewhere.
No, they don't. The exclusions are listed on page 8 of the fine print in this document: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Keep in mind that should your husband suffer some injury that would be considered (for whatever reason, including being within the lookback period) to be excluded from medical cancellation coverage, you could still cancel under the any reason provision and receive credit instead of cash with the Princess insurance.

We have always ended up using private insurance (several different companies) because it offered the same or better coverage at a lower price. Another thing to consider is if you are adding some days on land not affiliated with the cruise, I don't think their insurance will cover it. For example, we had horrible airline delays and a freak injury at the start of a 4 day stay in Venice before a Grand Mediterranean cruise. Our private insurance reimbursed us for the hotel night we missed, an opera that we missed an an expensive wedding vow renewal package that we missed. Fortunately, we were able to make the cruise and ended up having a wonderful time!