Why 5:30 dining?

Did a check the best I could on a typical Caribbean sailing among all Royal ships. I found 15

Out of the 15 only 3 ships had 5:30 early dining rather than the 6 PM that many of us are used to. I know from reading here it's sure not popular.

Just off Freedom and hated it. On top of 5:30 dining on Freedom, the shows were still at 9 for early seating.

I know we could do anytime dining, but we enjoy the same group of people with the same waiter every night.

Any ideas why?

Edited by SeaUs

I totally agree that 5:30pm is too early.

I don't know why they seem to be moving to 5:30pm dining. It used be be only Port Canaveral and Galveston, but now it's spread to Port Everglades and Tampa. Maybe it helps My Time, or it's some plot to get us all to abandon traditional dining.

I agree we are on Vision of the Seas out of Tampa and i was surprised to see early dining is 5:30. That to me is too early, by the time you get back on the ship from the port it doesn't leave much time to cleanup and get ready for dinner. I would prefer 6 or 6:15 like it has been on other cruises i have gone on.

Where have I encountered this? Let me see. The Grandeur of the Seas. The Freedom of the Seas. The Anthem of the Seas.

Are these similar ships?

Do they have similar demographics?

I THINK NOT. :mad:

That's why I think it's a diabolical scheme. :p

Did a check the best I could on a typical Caribbean sailing among all Royal ships. I found 15

Out of the 15 only 3 ships had 5:30 early dining rather than the 6 PM that many of us are used to. I know from reading here it's sure not popular.

Just off Freedom and hated it. On top of 5:30 dining on Freedom, the shows were still at 9 for early seating.

I know we could do anytime dining, but we enjoy the same group of people with the same waiter every night.

Any ideas why?

Its a shame to have to wait to eat at 530 in the main dining room. Used to eating at 5pm at home. Oh well I will be on vacation. And still getting up at 3am on the ship as if I had to go to work. It will be fine, still on vacation. :)

I think it's great that the ships have 5:30 dining. I wish it was at 5:00 p.m.! I am an early morning person. I eat breakfast at around 6:00 a.m., lunch at 11:30 and dinner at 4:30 to 5:00. If I eat too late (anytime after 7:00 p.m.) I feel uncomfortable and don't sleep well. Just saying that there are folks who really like the 5:30 seating.

We like the 5:30p dining time. It usually takes a while before you get any food anyway so we typically don't get to eat until around 6p or after. We like My Time Dining so going earlier actually makes it easier to get in as well.

Eating in the MDR often takes a lot of time so it's isn't unusual for us to not get out of there until 7p-7:30p even if we start at 5:30p.

Tom

I don't know why they seem to be moving to 5:30pm dining. It used be be only Port Canaveral and Galveston, but now it's spread to Port Everglades and Tampa. Maybe it helps My Time, or it's some plot to get us all to abandon traditional dining.

I don't think it will ever change back. I say that because between 5:30, 8:00, and MTD, 5:30 is still far and away the first time to fill up. I just booked a Freedom cruise a year out and 5:30 is already unavailable, so from RCI's perspective, everyone must still be cool with the earlier time...

You can do 6pm MTD everyday and when you get on the ship, request the same wait staff every day. That's what we did and it worked out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always a late seating person. (8-830) Gives you so much more time to enjoy each day IMO before having to go and get ready for dinner ect. 530-6 would mean having to leave the pool deck around 4. Miss sail away most if the time!! eek no thanks. :rolleyes: Theres plenty of food around the ship to get you by until then. Just an observation lol.

It could be a plot to get more people to eat at the specialty restaurants. There might be some people that want to stay on shore longer and therefore eat at a specialty restaurant instead of rushing back or eating in the Windjammer. Perhaps those people want the early dining for the rest of the week, but maybe not for one or two nights of the week. If a 5:30 seating nudges a few more people into the specialty restaurants, there's really no downside for the cruise line.

Edited by time4u2go

If I'm not mistaken, you can still show up at 6 or 6:15 and get served no problem. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of my-time diners coming in early who will take your table. If so, this accommodates everybody except perhaps the staff who lose a half-hour to do the things they need to do.

If I'm not mistaken, you can still show up at 6 or 6:15 and get served no problem. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of my-time diners coming in early who will take your table. If so, this accommodates everybody except perhaps the staff who lose a half-hour to do the things they need to do.

This is extremely rude and inconsiderate of staff.