Why 5:30 dining?

Oh gosh no, how rude and inconsiderate of everyone....your table mates and your wait staff.

It is one thing to arrive a few minutes late (less than 15) but to arrive 30-45 minutes late -- no. Then when you are rushed, you will feel that the wait staff was not being very nice.

We will be on Freedom out of FLL in Nov. Although we can't right now reserve early seating, I am sure it will become available -- it always opens up closer to sailing. We prefer 6pm, but don't want MyTimeDining -- we will manage!!! Typically at home we eat at 5pm.....so this will just cut into our cocktail hour up in the DL -- a few less, will make more room for dinner.

It won't affect cocktail hour, that gets moved up as well. I'm fine with 5:30, does 30 minutes really matter?

That question is for everybody, not just you Paulette

Edited by John&LaLa

I wasn't paying that much attention but on the Oasis at least I didn't feel that they were somehow coordinating incoming courses with other tables. That would be hard to do -- some people may be rushing through dinner to make their show. Others may be having a leisurely, relaxing dinner.

Has anybody actually talked to waiters about the impact to them? Based on my experience last week (see below), I'd be surprised if they thought it was a big deal. (Or even a little deal.)

You may be talking about me here. I'll tell you why I had this thought. It's because the Oasis waiter encouraged us to do so just last week.

On the Jamaica stop we didn't get back to the boat until a little after 6; we couldn't make the 6pm dinner so we went to the MyTime dining room around 7:00 and got seated right away. Less than 15 minutes later our normal waiter stopped by to greet us; apparently when his early diners didn't show up they shipped him down there to work (not our table though). The next night he said if we were running late for whatever reason to come to the MDR anyway. When I joked about not showing up so he could get a break he explained it doesn't work that way. They get dispatched to areas that need service, or they will put MyTime diners at his empty tables. I'm not sure why he still wanted his customers to come even when late. Maybe it prevents him from being assigned to other areas or maybe it affects his compensation somehow.

Of course if I had seen this thread a week ago I'd have asked him about the impact of consistently showing up 15-30 minutes after official start time.

Perhaps somebody cruising soon could ask the question ("I know it's 5:30 dining, would it be a problem if we come at our preferred time of 6:00?") and see what they say.

Sorry to quote the whole thing but I'm mobile. Anyhow, I think it has more to do with throwing off the expediters in the kitchen. The courses are all prepared and plated, they switch out from starters to entrees and it's a mad house in there. Your wait staff still has to play catch up to have you out and table reset for next diners coming in. If you walk in 20 or 30 mins late and order main dishes right away I don't think you screw it up too bad though

I think to a certain extent its true that they do it to suit the demographic, rather than some assumed reason to suit themselves.

On European cruises we've seen early seating at 6, 6.30 and even 7. Last year on our TA from Brazil early seating was at 7 and late at 9.30. We normally do late seating but on that sailing switched to early so we could sit with other English speakers.

I think those of us from outside the US tend to prefer to eat later, I can't imagine that if they had 5.30 dining in Europe there would be many takers.

What dining times do they have on Australian/Far Eastern cruises, I guess they would adapt them to the nationalities onboard.

Julie

It could be a plot to get more people to eat at the specialty restaurants. There might be some people that want to stay on shore longer and therefore eat at a specialty restaurant instead of rushing back or eating in the Windjammer. Perhaps those people want the early dining for the rest of the week' date=' but maybe not for one or two nights of the week. If a 5:30 seating nudges a few more people into the specialty restaurants, there's really no downside for the cruise line.[/quote']

I think it has to do with the prepaid gratuities. MTD as I understand it can not adjust the amount down for poorer service. I usually tip more but expect very good service. On my last Freedom cruise I only saw my head waiter as he passed by. Damned if he received any gratuity. Tipped more to my assistant waiter who was excellent.

Two things, maybe three...one I feel like every cruise I have taken on a school break has changed dining to 530 and 800 so I always assumed it was to accommodate those with younger kids...guessing that is incorrect. Two, if we are not happy with the change doesn't it seem that a silent protest would be to show up at 6 and 830? (Btw I would never do that) And third, we like to go to 8pm trivia before dinner, will the time be changed to accommodate late seating?😊

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

It could be a plot to get more people to eat at the specialty restaurants. There might be some people that want to stay on shore longer and therefore eat at a specialty restaurant instead of rushing back or eating in the Windjammer. Perhaps those people want the early dining for the rest of the week, but maybe not for one or two nights of the week. If a 5:30 seating nudges a few more people into the specialty restaurants, there's really no downside for the cruise line.

I think it has to do with the prepaid gratuities. MTD as I understand it can not adjust the amount down for poorer service. I usually tip more but expect very good service. On my last Freedom cruise I only saw my head waiter as he passed by. Damned if he received any gratuity. Tipped more to my assistant waiter who was excellent.

If I had to choose, I'd vote for it's a plot to get more people into the specialty restaurants. That cash goes into the cruise line's bank account. Prepaid gratuities go into the employees' bank accounts. (Some might find its way into the cruise line's bank account too.;), but that would be a tipping thread.)

... And third, we like to go to 8pm trivia before dinner, will the time be changed to accommodate late seating?😊

I've had mixed results with the trivia. Some ships do their best to accomodate the traditional dining times and shows. Other ships make you choose.

Two things, maybe three...one I feel like every cruise I have taken on a school break has changed dining to 530 and 800 so I always assumed it was to accommodate those with younger kids...guessing that is incorrect. Two, if we are not happy with the change doesn't it seem that a silent protest would be to show up at 6 and 830? (Btw I would never do that) And third, we like to go to 8pm trivia before dinner, will the time be changed to accommodate late seating?😊

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

But if they didn't change the time for the trivia, would you would still go and show up in the MDR at 8:30? A little trivia protest? ;)

5:30 or 6:00 does not matter to me. I eat dinner at 5:45 at home! Takes me 5 minutes to get dressed for dinner. All aboard is at 4:30. Walk to my room, get dressed, wife gets dressed, 15 minutes later, down by the bar, waiting for dining to open up. If we have until 6:00, than it's wasted time!

Before YTD, ships had 4 time slots to pick. Two early, and two late. So 5:30 was always available

I have always had the early seating on cruises so I dont know any different. But at home I am not eating dinner at 8pm so why would I on a cruise? by 8 I would be thinking what I am going to have for snack before bed :)

But anyway, we will be on grandeur in april so seating is at 5:30, which will be perfect since we have two children who will tolerate dinner at that time vs the later seating.

Haven't read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been mentioned, but I do see some people commenting on what time they eat at home. I personally prefer second seating, which is later than I normally eat, but I get used to it and have a late lunch, afternoon snack, or whatever. The actual time of early seating, if by half an hour to an hour, wouldn't make much difference to many people - they are in a different time zone for many, and therefore I don't see what time you eat at home is a deal breaker.

That's why I think it's a diabolical scheme. :p

Ships that have 5:30 early dinner, have an 8:00 late seating. We like the 8:00 seating but don't like my time dining so that earlier model is a treat for us. I know 8:30 is only 30 minutes later, but the 8pm just seems to work better for us

M

I agree with both of you.

We eat on the late seating and 8:00 pm is much better than 8:30 pm. So, we are happy with this.

DH and I believe it is an attempt to get people who would select the early seating to choose MTD or late seating by making the early seating less attractive.

When we have sailed on Grandeur the number of passengers asking for early seating is the majority of the ship. That seating is too crowded and the late seating seems empty. We see large tables with 1-2 couples.

We are booked on Freedom in November and we have always done the late seating. This will be the first our kids travel with us so we wanted to choose early seating and I was surprised to see 5:30 instead of 6PM. I'm with others, wishing it was at 6. I'm not interested in My Time Dining as I like having the same staff/table each night. It seems like a mixed bag of 5:30 or 6PM preference in this thread.

Did a check the best I could on a typical Caribbean sailing among all Royal ships. I found 15

Out of the 15 only 3 ships had 5:30 early dining rather than the 6 PM that many of us are used to. I know from reading here it's sure not popular.

Just off Freedom and hated it. On top of 5:30 dining on Freedom, the shows were still at 9 for early seating.

I know we could do anytime dining, but we enjoy the same group of people with the same waiter every night.

Any ideas why?

On the IOS last week the first Headliner show was at 7 and if you wanted to make the first show you had to eat at 5:30 or after 8:30

We are booked on Freedom in November and we have always done the late seating. This will be the first our kids travel with us so we wanted to choose early seating and I was surprised to see 5:30 instead of 6PM. I'm with others, wishing it was at 6. I'm not interested in My Time Dining as I like having the same staff/table each night. It seems like a mixed bag of 5:30 or 6PM preference in this thread.

By the way-- We had 6:30 MTD on the IOS last week and had the same staff and table every night. We also did MTD on a 10 day Seranade cruise last November and had a table for 4 at either 6:30 or 7:00 scheduled every night-- always had same table and same dining staff--so don't assume MTD means different staff each night--you can set up dinner reservations at the same table anytime you like for each night

I can't figure out why everyone would not prefer this option but then again I dislike Strawberry ice cream and prefer vanilla over chocolate too

Edited by Hotel CA

By the way-- We had 6:30 MTD on the IOS last week and had the same staff and table every night. We also did MTD on a 10 day Seranade cruise last November and had a table for 4 at either 6:30 or 7:00 scheduled every night-- always had same table and same dining staff--so don't assume MTD means different staff each night--you can set up dinner reservations at the same table anytime you like for each night

I can't figure out why everyone would not prefer this option but then again I dislike Strawberry ice cream and prefer vanilla over chocolate too

I suppose it depends on your experience. My brother-in-law tried it and disliked it immensely. He planned out every day, reserved all the time slots he wanted based on shows, time in port, etc. And yet still spent a lot of time standing in the MTD line to get in to eat. Not sure which ship. It may have been when it was first introduced and they could have been still working out the kinks.

Have a snack at 4:00 to 4:30 and do late seating. It's much more

relaxing in the afternoon, have a cocktail, take a nap,

stay longer on shore and do late seating. No use in going to bed

so early!!

It would ruin my cruise if I had to go to early seating.

I suppose it depends on your experience. My brother-in-law tried it and disliked it immensely. He planned out every day, reserved all the time slots he wanted based on shows, time in port, etc. And yet still spent a lot of time standing in the MTD line to get in to eat. Not sure which ship. It may have been when it was first introduced and they could have been still working out the kinks.

Based on our experience with MTD and on the many posts that have appeared on CC, your brother-in-law's experience may have been the exception that proves the rule. We were skeptical when it was first introduced but quickly became converts because of the flexibility it offers and the fact that the dining room staff almost always manages to sit us with our favorite servers regardless of when we arrive in the MTD section of the dining room. We, too, would find 5:30 too early and 8:30 pm too late so we can find a time in MTD that still permits us to see the evening entertainment on our schedule.

Early seating @ 5:30 or 6:00 works for us as we do not eat late at home or when we go out to eat or at a land base vacation. We also do not usually get back to the ship right before departure but is usually back around 3:00 at the latest so we are good to go as far as having enough time to get ready for dinner. :cool:

We were on Allure last week - did MTD and made reservations online ahead of time. Worked great, even on a giant ship. We never waited more than 4-5 minutes to be seated.

However, the line was HUGE for the MTD "walk-ups", so MTD seems to work well for those that plan it ahead of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually you have answered my query by stating it 'didn't negatively or positively' affect your day or evening....so I am glad to hear that. We have Freedom booked for November, and never have had such an early seating for dinner, and fully expect we will be able to get it as we get closer to sail date. On our first cruise we had the Late Seating because of 'experienced cruisers' we went with and for us the late seating was terrible on our bodies -- we just are not accustomed to eating that late.

We always do the early traditional dining. Our preference. Took our first Cruise in 1991 and had late dining and decided it was too late. We book our Cruises early so we've never had an issue getting early traditional.

Edited by davekathy