NCL Cancels Five LA-Mexican Riviera cruises on Jewel

latserrof

So NCL has cancelled Norwegian Jewel's 7-Day Mexican Riviera cruises from Los Angeles sailing between November 27, 2016 to December 11, 2016 and January 8, 2017 to January 29, 2017. NCL is offering two options:

"Option 1: Move to Norwegian Jewel's 7-Day Mexican Riviera cruise from Los Angeles on the following dates: October 2, 2016; October 9, 2016; October 23,

2016 through November 13, 2016; or March 5, 2017 through April 23, 2017; and your cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option, a $50 onboard

credit will be applied to your onboard account, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. If you are currently booked in

a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $100 per stateroom onboard credit.

Option 2: Select any available 5-Day or longer sailing in our fleet at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards the new sail date. If

you choose this option, a $50 onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service

charges. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $100 per stateroom onboard credit.

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees. We look forward to hearing from you by March 16, 2016, so that we can modify

your reservation. If we don't hear from you by March 16, 2016, your reservation will be cancelled. "

Do we think our perks will carry over to new bookings?

latserrof

Do we think our perks will carry over to new bookings?

Someone posted a similar situation on the Sun a few days ago and they reported the perks did NOT carry over.

But as with most things on NCL, if you do get assurances you will get the perks, you better get it in writing and signed by at least 3 executives. If you do that, expect the ship won't honor it and tell you to take it up with the Miami office once your cruise is over.

I was wondering the same?

Any risk of Zika in that itinerary?

I was thinking that- but Panama Canal still travels through Mexico and Zika regions and Zika is also in the Caribbean, Brazil etc. the virus really only effects pregnant women, a small percentage of cruisers I'm assuming and personally I'm way past that stage. So I'm thinking it must be another reason. I think NCL would have announced if Zika was the reason. Only my opinion, not based on fact. Just wondering why.

Actually reading threads about cancelled cruises makes me very wary to book too far out as airfares are very costly travelling from Aus and can't be booked as a package.

Edited by karoo

Possible that it has something to do with Mexican government issues:

Port fees registration licensing tourist taxes carriage maritime insurance etc.

Unlikely ship dry-dock maintenance that is well documented in advance.

The zika mosquito affects only a few - not likely that is the problem.

Some important event taking place and the ships in question are being

chartered out as floating hotels for the event !

Side note maybe FDR is taking one of his boats out for a private spin and

does not want to be hounded by questions of how to run a cruise line !

Someone posted a similar situation on the Sun a few days ago and they reported the perks did NOT carry over.

But as with most things on NCL, if you do get assurances you will get the perks, you better get it in writing and signed by at least 3 executives. If you do that, expect the ship won't honor it and tell you to take it up with the Miami office once your cruise is over.

Alternately....once you get the perks carried over....insist that the Ncl rep send you an amenity email immediately

You stay on the phone and wait until you see the email on your computer before you graciously thank them. Lol

And then you print out that email and have it with you when you go to guest services to complain it's not on your account....or...several days....say 10 or so....before your cruise you carve out 2 hours to call Ncl and go over your ressie and make sure everything is there as it should be....and then...

You get them to send you a final amenity confirmation.....you know...

Just in case they deleted something while they were reviewing your ressie. Lol

This is weird.

I rebooked my cancelled cruise to March 5th.

my original booking confirmation showed promo code CHOB (UBP)

My new booking shows CHOO (?)

the fare is pretty close (slight diff due to CAD/USD exchange rates.

Indicates $75 total OBC (we supposedly had $50 originally, but I noticed it wasn't on the original confirmation), so it should have been $100 total.

The agent also emailed me an Amenity Confirmation showing both having the UBP,

Delivery Day "Day 1 in cabin"

Total cost: 776.83 each (CAD),

Balance: $0.

I logged into MyNCL to see the info on the booking... it shows the 2x $12.50 and 2x $25 OBC, but doesn't show the UBP.

If I print off the Amenity Conf will that be enough when we check in to get them to add the UBP for free?

If they don't make me pay the Service Charge for the drinks I won't fight them on the $25 missing OBC...

When I got the email, I immediately called my PCC. She handled everything getting my reservation changed. We were booked on a B2B for January 8th & 15th, and we got it changed to March 5th & 12th. Kept the same cabin, all perks were exactly the same, and received the $100 per cabin OBC because we were booked in a suite. I was a little worried at first, because we had the UDP, which is no longer available, but it transferred over exactly the way we had it. This cruise is our big blowout for our 25th anniversary, and we were a little bummed that it changed, but mainly because we now have to wait longer. :p I didn't have to beg them to email me the new amenity invoice or anything like that. It was automatic. I think that is why I always use my PCC when it comes to booking, because if there are issues, she handles them for me, and that equals less stress for me.

Happy cruising everyone!!

Silly question I know, but does anyone know why the Mexican cruises are being cancelled? Not only on the Jewel, but also the Sun. Ideas?

They don't appear to be big sellers could be one of the reasons. There were some heavy discounting on Jan/16 Mex cruises. My Nov 27/16 booking still had a lot of empty cabins as of last week.

We are booked on the Nov 20, 2016 Thanksgiving cruise and just got the email that it is now changed to a 5 day cruise.

We are going to cancel.

We are booked on the same cruise and I got the same email....They don't even have details yet on what the new itinerary is (e.g., did they just eliminate some sea days? did they change ports?). Our family was really looking forward to a Thanksgiving week cruise. Doesn't look like there are many options out there. I'm going to wait to cancel until I see the details of what exactly has changed. :cool:

I have a feeling the Jewel was cancelled for charters. She's a sister to the Norwegian Pearl which will be in dry dock in early 2017. Some of the Pearl's charters have already moved to the ship out of Tampa but not all of them which means any ship in the fleet was game for chartering, especially with Sixthman. The other companies which charter with NCL might seek other ships out of the FL arena as there are several lines there from January to March to choose from.

Got email, called today to move to the Dec. 23rd. Cruise from LA. told the cruises Dec. 23 or 30th, have not been "uploaded" yet into their system, they would call me back when this is done?? My email stated we could choose either one in place of the Dec. 18th cancelled one. Was told all our amenities would be transferred and if we chose to cancel our FCC would be reinstated. Have no idea if these cruise dates will actually happen. Last time I looked these dates did not show up on NCL website. Just in a holding pattern. We are retired so are flexible with dates. But other cruse lines Christmas dates are filling up fast. Anyone else call with same results?

Charters for that long ? Jewel currently has nothing scheduled between Nov 20 and Feb 5, that's eleven weeks !

The Norwegian Pearl is offline to normal passenger bookings and reserved for charters during the same span of time. However, it's never usually over a holiday period. What they end up doing is chartering out the ship to multiple companies like Sixthman and a few other major charter companies and it fills the gaps up for the time the ship is unavailable to the general public to book. It's not just one long charter. The only time that happens usually is for like a month when the ships are used as floating hotels for major events in a metropolitan area with a cruise pier that does not have the hotel capacity to deal with it. I told the people on the Sun cancellation to check that option as I couldn't find a company readily advertising a charter on their cancelled voyages. I suspect I know a company that may now charter in the gap that the Sun has but until it's announced publicly I'm not going to go heresay...

This one I have no idea who is interested in the ship. The usual suspects already have their ships chartered except for one. :cool:

Possible that it has something to do with Mexican government issues:

Port fees registration licensing tourist taxes carriage maritime insurance etc.

Unlikely ship dry-dock maintenance that is well documented in advance.

The zika mosquito affects only a few - not likely that is the problem.

Some important event taking place and the ships in question are being

chartered out as floating hotels for the event !

Side note maybe FDR is taking one of his boats out for a private spin and

does not want to be hounded by questions of how to run a cruise line !

Is he still there?! Drat.