Can you order a GDR item when dining in a Specialty Restaurant?

deadzone1003

We will be aboard the Marina this April. My wife is crazy for any item with goose liver. However, because some nights we will be dining in specialty restaurants, is it possible to order GDR items that is available on the GDR menu that night when dining at a specialty restaurant?

You might be able to order that special dish for your cabin.

Definitely the case if you are in a PH or higher. I've done it for foie gras when we were in a specialty and they served it in the MDR

When in Polo, I asked if I could have fish from the MDR menu and was told this was not possible. So, I asked if I could have the fish from the Toscana Menu - as Toscana is next door I thought I stood a better chance - but, no again! I was tempted to go into Toscana, order the fish and carry it back myself ;). I see their point as they could be fetching meals from all over the ship but as there was no fish special in Polo that evening, I thought I would ask!

Instead of asking for the menue from other venues ask the manager if they have goose liver because you love it. You never know.

Check in with the restaurant the day before and they will try to have your special order for you.

If you are in a suite you can get it for sure.

Edited by orchestrapal

Check in with the restaurant the day before and they will try to have your special order for you.

If you are in a suite you can get it for sure.

This is the best plan. Many upscale lines will make a special order dish if they have the stuff given 24 hours notice. I never tried on Oceania but they probably will, if not I would be surprised.

This is the best plan. Many upscale lines will make a special order dish if they have the stuff given 24 hours notice. I never tried on Oceania but they probably will, if not I would be surprised.

We have been told by more than one person that you cannot special order dishes on Oceania (this can be done on luxury cruise lines). You can get items that have "special" preparation like gluten-free, salt-free, etc.

We (and others we know) have asked for foie gras in every restaurant - and never been turned down. The presentations might be different but they always seem to have it. I'm sure there are other experiences that stand in contrast to this but it has happened and hopefully will again.

We have been told by more than one person that you cannot special order dishes on Oceania (this can be done on luxury cruise lines). You can get items that have "special" preparation like gluten-free, salt-free, etc.

Were these people the restaurant manager or chef? I have gotten special items on Celebrity in Blu.

Usually they do not take "special orders" nor do they bring food from other venues

I know some time ago someone want shrimp cocktail in the GDR that they have in POLO .... it was a no go

Just think of all the waiters running all over to get special dishes for people

So unless things have changed you will be disappointed

but you can always ask

If you have in suite dining your Butler can make it happen for you

We will be aboard the Marina this April. My wife is crazy for any item with goose liver.

You could always go to the Maitre'D the first day & ask what nights goose liver or whatever will be served in the GDR ....they rotate the menus about 14 days (I think)

Then just change the reservations so you can eat in the GDR those nights

Option 2 go early to the GDR have the appy then go to your specialty restaurant ;)

I have not seen Pate served daily in the GDR ...maybe Paul knows for sure ;)

same with caviar it it usually once on a 10 day cruise

but I could have missed it on other nights as we do not either item

Lyn

Were these people the restaurant manager or chef? I have gotten special items on Celebrity in Blu.

General Manager and a couple of long time Oceania customers! The reason it was brought up is that we typically sail on a luxury cruise line (Regent) and you can order just about anything with 24 hours notice. We've had Indian meals for a large table, Philippine food - all by request. We were a bit disappointed that we could not order special meals on Oceania. In terms of Celebrity, isn't Blu the restaurant that only guests in certain suites can go to?

Edited by Travelcat2

General Manager and a couple of long time Oceania customers! The reason it was brought up is that we typically sail on a luxury cruise line (Regent) and you can order just about anything with 24 hours notice. We've had Indian meals for a large table, Philippine food - all by request. We were a bit disappointed that we could not order special meals on Oceania. In terms of Celebrity, isn't Blu the restaurant that only guests in certain suites can go to?

We have been able to order Indian food on Celebrity for our table of 8 on Celebrity with 24 hrs notice.

We have been able to order Indian food on Celebrity for our table of 8 on Celebrity with 24 hrs notice.

Interesting. Was this in a special restaurant? While it is doubtful that we will ever sail on Celebrity, it might give Oceania management the idea that they should up their game!

Oceania does not let you order from one restaurant to another..

Jancruz1

What I was talking about was asking the manager the day before if you could have a dish the next day at dinner, not ordering off of another menu.

What I was talking about was asking the manager the day before if you could have a dish the next day at dinner, not ordering off of another menu.

AFAIK they do not do that either ...maybe if you are friends with the chef it can happen for you ;)

AFAIK they do not do that either ...maybe if you are friends with the chef it can happen for you ;)

Ah, the naysayers. I asked for key lime pie and it was there the next night. The ship is usually happy to make you happy if they can. It never hurts to ask.

Ah, the naysayers. I asked for key lime pie and it was there the next night. The ship is usually happy to make you happy if they can. It never hurts to ask.

I would think a piece of pie or cake is easier to get than some cooked dishes

If you ask & they can get it for you you great if they cannot not at least you asked

I have seen people throw a wobbly because XXX cruise line does it so why can't O

YMMV