Sticker shock

Does anyone else think that Royals prices are high especially for the Harmony? I did some comparison between Royal and Carnival (don't hate). Balcony for 4 people during the week of March 10, 2018,for a minimum of 7 days.

Carnival Vista(newest ship 2016) 8 day $3900

Allure of the seas 7 day $4600

Harmony of the seas (newest ship 2016) $6000

I would really like to to do Royal over Carnival but not for that difference in price. I cant believe Royal is that much better and I am not that picky.

Anyone else have the same opinion. Help me see the light of Royal.:D

Does anyone else think that Royals prices are high especially for the Harmony? I did some comparison between Royal and Carnival (don't hate). Balcony for 4 people during the week of March 10, 2018,for a minimum of 7 days.

I would really like to to do Royal over Carnival but not for that difference in price. I cant believe Royal is that much better and I am not that picky.

I do agree with you..... I kind of have that 'lunch box let down' feeling going on right now. So much anticipation..... And so little to be happy about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The reason it is high is because demand is high. We loved Allure and, for that price difference, would book her again in a heartbeat over the Harmony. You can get a mini-suite, maybe a suite, for that price.

They've almost always charged higher prices for oasis class........because they can and people are paying it. One reason we've not sailed one yet.

We do have Allure booked for next winter, actually found a reasonable price for it a few months ago.

At one point we had Harmony booked for next winter also, there were some good prices for a short window of time. Ended up switching that one out to a

B2B on Jewel:D

Ironically, there are some threads on the Carnival board right now were they are battling it out over how expensive Carnival cruises have gotten recently, so I guess it's all relative.

While the Vista will undoubtedly be Carnival's newest and biggest ship ever, it will still pale in comparison to the Harmony, and that's why the prices are what they are. It's not the first time this happens. For example, when Allure of the Seas and Carnival Dream were brand new, I sailed both ships within months of each other. For a balcony on the Dream I paid about HALF what I paid for a lesser Boardwalk window on the Allure, yet the Allure was well worth the upcharge. Not for a moment did I regret paying more for the Allure, even if we were in a lower stateroom category. The experience was THAT much better.

Edited by Tapi

Don't limit yourself to one cruise line.

Go to an online cruise travel website and compare all the cruises for that week.

You can find good values on Princess, NCL, Celebrity, and MSC.

You need to look regularly for price drops.

Also that week you picked is in the Spring Break time frame, that's why it is particularly high....

I used to think Royal was way overpriced too, until I got a terrific deal on Royal. There will be 5 of us cruising from Galveston Texas to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel for $3,500 (including port charges and tips). A similar cruise on Carnival for the same week would cost over $8,000 and that does not include tips.

I did get in on a special that the 2nd person was half price and 3rd, 4th and 5th were $209 each, plus port and tips. The other difference on Royal is that they have family rooms that can have up to 6 people in them, where on Carnival you need to get a suite to get one big room.

So, you really need to watch for specials and compare the prices including all the fees you need to tack on.

Are you comparing to similar type rooms on Royal and does both prices include port charges and/or tips? This can make a big difference.

You can find good values on Princess, NCL, Celebrity, and MSC.

Yup. MSC is having a 2 for 1 balcony stateroom promo, a kids sail free promo, and loyalty match on several sailings. We received a quote for the MSC Divina departing from Miami, 7 nights to the Eastern Caribbean in a balcony stateroom for a family of 4 this summer. Grand total including taxes of $1,357!! NO other quote from any other cruise line has come even remotely close!

Edited by Tapi

I think in general RCI prices are up...sure you might find a deal with the bookings just opening up...but I don't see any where close to the deal I got when I booked HOTS way back in June for our March 2017...

The prices were so good I booked four cabins and am surprising my entire family with this cruise. So glad I booked when I did...because now looking at the basically same cruise in March 2018...NO WAY :eek:

BTW: I was also able to combine them with our loyalty discount (D & D+) and a few other discounts offered by RCI at various times since then that applied to our bookings as I always keep a close check on these

Edited by Ashland

Are you comparing to similar type rooms on Royal and does both prices include port charges and/or tips? This can make a big difference.

Yes all things are similar. Cheapest balcony for 4 and the same dates. Price includes all rates, taxes fees etc etc

I was having sticker shock with Disney Cruise Lines, which is why I booked my first cruise with Royal, on Harmony! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While I do think their prices are high, my husband and I decided that while we always have fun on carnival, their ships just don't do it for us. The layout, crowding, drink package rules, etc. we would rather spend a bit more and get the big vacation we want. That being said, we don't have kids and can be very flexible as to when we sail-that all makes the sticker shock much less shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me, not all lines are the same. So you're really not comparing apples to apples. Carnival doesn't compare to Royal...JMO I don't cruise in March, but I do know there's cheaper times to book as well.

We have a family balcony and the interior across the hall booked for Jan 2017 on Harmony.

I was thinking about switching it to the first week of June so I didn't have to pull my kids out of school again. The last 2 years we have pulled them out for a week to cruise. Before I get any flack, they rarely miss due to illness and they excel in school so catching up is easy.

I have been patiently waiting for the new itineraries to come out so I could book. I expected the cruise to be a bit more expensive since it's summer. But I also hoped for cheaper initial prices (I booked HOTS for Jan 2017 in July 2015).

The interior room with 4 passengers went up $1500 and the family balcony with 5 passengers went up $3900.

That's a big difference in price. I kept my booking as is and am giving serious thought into looking at other cruise lines.

We tried the carnival Breeze last year but decided we really prefer the overall atmosphere of Royal and their loyalty program.

So now, I'm looking into NCL.

We have a family balcony and the interior across the hall booked for Jan 2017 on Harmony.

I was thinking about switching it to the first week of June so I didn't have to pull my kids out of school again. The last 2 years we have pulled them out for a week to cruise. Before I get any flack, they rarely miss due to illness and they excel in school so catching up is easy.

I think it's your personal business if you pull your kids from school or not. You know them better than anyone does. Do people really bash others for that?! wow! We pulled them once, and my dd asked we not do that again. She had such a difficult time making up the work. Much easier on the kids while they're younger. But again, up to the parent entirely.

Royal is just going to be more than Carnival. Newer ships more as well...along with time of yr.

Now our kids are married, going to be ever more difficult getting everyone's schedule the same to go :rolleyes:

Good luck!!

I do agree with you..... I kind of have that 'lunch box let down' feeling going on right now. So much anticipation..... And so little to be happy about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agree^ But also, maybe it's time to make your own lunches. ;)

I have not read your postings, but if I could have done Carnival (I am not a party person, but like several things about Carnival that RCCL does not have) for my April cruise, I would have done it. Yes I believe RCCL in some ways is more expensive in what you get on their ships than Carnival. I do like their ice show, but that is just about it for "me."