NCL Pricing

Reimann_J

NCL, in its latest bid to confuse and tick off their clients, has come up with a No Frills price. What does that mean? It means that you can get a room relatively cheap from your travel agent, but you CANNOT get any of the perks included (ultimate beverage package, dining package, shore excursion credit, internet package), even though the terms and conditions of the perks may state otherwise. No frills, is NO FRILLS! To add insult to injury (for those of us who love to find an all-inclusive bargain), NCL will increase their ultimate beverage package [uBP] price to $79.00 per day, per person. Who cares? You should! Well, if you look at the difference between the "no frills" pricing and (for instance) the UBP included pricing, you will see a significant difference (you are paying a large part of the UBP in that price). Don't forget that you now have to pay the 18% gratuities on the UBP and ultimate dining package on the new higher price. To add more insult, if you pick the shore excursion credit (of $50 per port - up to 4 ports) and the internet package, you are paying a much higher rate than what those packages would be worth. Also, look for more "ala carte" pricing throughout NCL. As the new CEO has tested the waters (so to speak) on the Escape, and doesn't care if his customers complain, he will, no doubt, start this practice on all the ships. Where will it end? I guess when the ships are empty. Do I love the NCL ships? Absolutely! The Escape was a "happy haven" for my husband who loved the District Brewhouse. The ship's design is wonderful, as is the entertainment and the staff is superb. However, we have noticed that the ships seemed to be understaffed lately, making us wonder what the heck is going on with the staff (they seem to be as unhappy with the new NCL as we customers are). Yes, I am very disgruntled, disgusted and unhappy with the way the new "NCL" is being handled - and yes I am an avid cruiser. Not too sure how long I can remain faithful to this new uncaring company, after our 73 planned cruising days are completed this year. :eek:

whats wrong with having a choice?

I may want a no frills price. My wife doesnt drink, for example. I stay in owners suites and get 3 bottles included. I dont need the UBP.

However, If i can stay in the same room cheaper, why not? You can take the higher rate still and get the UBP.

If you want the perks, why don't you just choose the higher price with perks included? No frills is pretty descriptive. It shouldnt be a surprise that you are not getting the inclusions if you choose this. Can't have it both ways.

NCL, in its latest bid to confuse and tick off their clients, has come up with a No Frills price. What does that mean? It means that you can get a room relatively cheap from your travel agent, but you CANNOT get any of the perks included (ultimate beverage package, dining package, shore excursion credit, internet package), even though the terms and conditions of the perks may state otherwise. No frills, is NO FRILLS! To add insult to injury (for those of us who love to find an all-inclusive bargain), NCL will increase their ultimate beverage package [uBP] price to $79.00 per day, per person. Who cares? You should! Well, if you look at the difference between the "no frills" pricing and (for instance) the UBP included pricing, you will see a significant difference (you are paying a large part of the UBP in that price). Don't forget that you now have to pay the 18% gratuities on the UBP and ultimate dining package on the new higher price. To add more insult, if you pick the shore excursion credit (of $50 per port - up to 4 ports) and the internet package, you are paying a much higher rate than what those packages would be worth. Also, look for more "ala carte" pricing throughout NCL. As the new CEO has tested the waters (so to speak) on the Escape, and doesn't care if his customers complain, he will, no doubt, start this practice on all the ships. Where will it end? I guess when the ships are empty. Do I love the NCL ships? Absolutely! The Escape was a "happy haven" for my husband who loved the District Brewhouse. The ship's design is wonderful, as is the entertainment and the staff is superb. However, we have noticed that the ships seemed to be understaffed lately, making us wonder what the heck is going on with the staff (they seem to be as unhappy with the new NCL as we customers are). Yes, I am very disgruntled, disgusted and unhappy with the way the new "NCL" is being handled - and yes I am an avid cruiser. Not too sure how long I can remain faithful to this new uncaring company, after our 73 planned cruising days are completed this year. :eek:

Just to clarify your opening statement...

Is this something that NCL came up with, and therefore is available regardless of the booking source/method, or is this something that one particular Travel Agent came up with, therefore only available through that TA?

If the latter, then why blame NCL?

Your complaint is that you want the cheap no frills pricing but you want an included perk or two???

If you want the perks, why don't you just choose the higher price with perks included? No frills is pretty descriptive. It shouldnt be a surprise that you are not getting the inclusions if you choose this. Can't have it both ways.

I thought I was koo koo for cocoa puffs when reading the OP but apparently others have the same confusion: complaining about a no-frills lower fare absent of perks ... that don't come with perks!

For those that don't want the perks (that anyone with a brain knows are built into an inflated offered fare), the option of a no-frills fare is a good thing. But apparently not for those who expect that no-frills price AND "free" perks as well.

This attitude proves the shark has been officially jumped.

Edited by StolidCruiser

No frills pricing.....not sure I understand your point. If you want to cruise as inexpensively as possible then you have that option. You still can buy drinks, go to specialty restaurants and do excursions. That is the way other cruise lines do it as I understand.

NCL also offers the opportunity to pay more for add-on frills. Yes, their drink package is rapidly increasing in price. Will their specialty dining package increase also, that remains to be seen.

People that are interested in cruising with NCL are being offered choices. Book what you want and be done with it. If you are no longer happy with NCL then you know how to remedy the problem...cruise with another line.

Unfortunately, NCL is a profit driven corporation. If people don't like what is happening with the current management style and changes being made then the profit margin is going to show it. Stockholders will not be happy and a change in management will occur.

BTW....I am NOT a fan boy of NCL. We do have a cruise booked with NCL for this June after a 20yr break from cruising with NCL. We have been loyal Holland America Line cruisers along with cursing with Princess and Royal Caribbean. We are giving NCL another opportunity to impress us prior to booking a 2017 Fall Panama Canal cruise with in-laws. Depending how the June cruise goes will depend if we cruise with them again.

I think this is terrific. I have a relative that doesn't drink, doesn't gamble, doesn't eat in specialties, doesn't buy photos, doesn't use the internet.... and she HATED that she felt she was paying for perks she really did not get value from.

We, on the other hand, often stay in suites, drink, gamble, get the unlimited internet package, and eat in specialties nearly every night.

I LOVE that people now have the choice to pick and choose where they want to spend their money. You want the whole ball of wax, buy it. You don't, take the cheapest room available and pick and choose where you want to spend your money. I suspect this is viewed as a positive development for those that love to cruise, but are doing it on a strict budget...

Terry

NCL, in its latest bid to confuse and tick off their clients, has come up with a No Frills price. What does that mean?

It means that you can get a room relatively cheap from your travel agent, but you CANNOT get any of the perks included (ultimate beverage package, dining package, shore excursion credit, internet package), even though the terms and conditions of the perks may state otherwise.

No frills, is NO FRILLS! To add insult to injury (for those of us who love to find an all-inclusive bargain), NCL will increase their ultimate beverage package [uBP] price to $79.00 per day, per person.

Who cares? You should! Well, if you look at the difference between the "no frills" pricing and (for instance) the UBP included pricing, you will see a significant difference (you are paying a large part of the UBP in that price).

Don't forget that you now have to pay the 18% gratuities on the UBP and ultimate dining package on the new higher price. To add more insult, if you pick the shore excursion credit (of $50 per port - up to 4 ports) and the internet package, you are paying a much higher rate than what those packages would be worth.

Also, look for more "ala carte" pricing throughout NCL. As the new CEO has tested the waters (so to speak) on the Escape, and doesn't care if his customers complain, he will, no doubt, start this practice on all the ships.

Where will it end? I guess when the ships are empty. Do I love the NCL ships? Absolutely! The Escape was a "happy haven" for my husband who loved the District Brewhouse. The ship's design is wonderful, as is the entertainment and the staff is superb. However, we have noticed that the ships seemed to be understaffed lately, making us wonder what the heck is going on with the staff (they seem to be as unhappy with the new NCL as we customers are).

Yes, I am very disgruntled, disgusted and unhappy with the way the new "NCL" is being handled - and yes I am an avid cruiser. Not too sure how long I can remain faithful to this new uncaring company, after our 73 planned cruising days are completed this year. :eek:

Paragraphs are our friends. Sorry, but I couldn't follow you thoughts as it all ran together.

We've only been on two cruises. The first was Disney, the second was the inaugural run of the The Escape. We're booked on a September cruise on the Getaway and frankly I'm not happy with what I see either.

I thought the Escape was a great ship, but parts of it seemed totally understaffed. Now my TA suggested we take the UBP as a perk. I'll wind up paying more in the 18% gratuity (added for my convenience) than I would have paid in buying a drink at a time as we don't drink very much.

I'm hoping for the best, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Paragraphs are our friends. Sorry, but I couldn't follow you thoughts as it all ran together.

We've only been on two cruises. The first was Disney, the second was the inaugural run of the The Escape. We're booked on a September cruise on the Getaway and frankly I'm not happy with what I see either.

I thought the Escape was a great ship, but parts of it seemed totally understaffed. Now my TA suggested we take the UBP as a perk. I'll wind up paying more in the 18% gratuity (added for my convenience) than I would have paid in buying a drink at a time as we don't drink very much.

I'm hoping for the best, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Even thought your TA suggested you take the UBP, can't you take another perk that you would be happier with?

Sorry you only get to spend 73 days at sea this year, must be rough.

Maybe you should spend 36 days on another line, and be just as unhappy.

I didn't realize all of the employees and NCL customers were unhappy as well- thanks for clarifying that. Maybe the staff is unhappy when it comes in contact with a certain type of customer who feels entitled and disgruntled.

Also, note that the price of my cruise for 7 nights minus the current value of the promos I have is $147.63. Therefore, I am quite pleased.

Also, I don't expect perfection. It is a floating city with thousands of people. Reality is every day is not perfect. I take it this is one of those other 293 days this year where you are not at sea. Sorry.

I wish NCL would offer the no frills at a lower price. We take the UBP as our perk but I really don't drink so if NCL offered no frills at a lower price I might actually save money by just buying drinks as we go.

NCL offers a "No Frills" pricing option and yet people want a lower price. Where does it end? Oh wait, how about NCL pay us to cruise with them!! :eek:

Is this something going on now? How can we get the no frills?

I tried doing a mock booking after reading this

Once you select your cabin it will give you 8 or so pricing options with each perk or combo of perks or no frills

I tried doing a mock booking after reading this

Once you select your cabin it will give you 8 or so pricing options with each perk or combo of perks or no frills

Thanks. I just tried to do the same thing and it was the same price for the "Norwegian rate" as it was for thee perks. I wonder if maybe they aren't doing it for all sailings.

NCL, in its latest bid to confuse and tick off their clients, has come up with a No Frills price.

What does that mean? I get a less expensive cruise? !! :) YAY

It means that you can get a room relatively cheap from your travel agent, (so I have to fire my PCC and go with a TA??) OK, no worries :)

No frills, is NO FRILLS! YAY, I only drink wine, DH can't and won't drink, sounds good to me;)

To add insult to injury (for those of us who love to find an all-inclusive bargain), NCL will increase their ultimate beverage package [uBP] price to $79.00 per day, per person. No insult to us, love it! Who cares?

You should! NOPE!!

Well, if you look at the difference between the "no frills" pricing and (for instance) the UBP included pricing, you will see a significant difference (you are paying a large part of the UBP in that price). They've increased the UBP price for some reason that doesn't bother me at all.

Don't forget that you now have to pay the 18% gratuities on the UBP and ultimate dining package on the new higher price. Not if you don't take it!

To add more insult, if you pick the shore excursion credit (of $50 per port - up to 4 ports) and the internet package, you are paying a much higher rate than what those packages would be worth. We usually do DIY excursions anyway, who cares?, not us!

Also, look for more "ala carte" pricing throughout NCL. Good maybe I won't have to worry about my weight so much!!

As the new CEO has tested the waters (so to speak) on the Escape, and doesn't care if his customers complain, he will, no doubt, start this practice on all the ships. Where will it end?

I guess when the ships are empty. Do I love the NCL ships? Absolutely! The Escape was a "happy haven" for my husband who loved the District Brewhouse. The ship's design is wonderful, as is the entertainment and the staff is superb.

However, we have noticed that the ships seemed to be understaffed lately, making us wonder what the heck is going on with the staff (they seem to be as unhappy with the new NCL as we customers are). We haven't noticed that.

Yes, I am very disgruntled, disgusted and unhappy with the way the new "NCL" is being handled - and yes I am an avid cruiser. Not too sure how long I can remain faithful to this new uncaring company, after our 73 planned cruising days are completed this year.

I'm sorry you're not happy with the changes but with so many other cruise lines available, may I ask why you would even consider cruising with NCL again? To each their own... do whatever works for YOU! 'Nuff said... ;)

I'm still confused as to how to get this "No frills" price. We love this idea.

Honestly, we jumped ship to NCL because their prices with the beverage package was lower than a cruise with the beverage package on RCL. As for dining , we did like lobster in the main dining room, but we like the ability to opt out and pay less. We aren't interested in upgraded food. As long as they feed us edibles which NCL seems to be doing.

It is an option. Your vote is your dollar. Don't give them your money. I personally don't care how they allocate my money -- the money leaving my pocket for a UBP is the same as the money leaving my pocket for gas for the cruise ship and the money leaving my pocket for a lobster. If I cared about it more than the money, I would cruise luxury lines.

Anyway, if anyone could lay out how to get this price, let me know -- we already booked ours , but the price went up and a friend wants to join. Drinking and dining is not an issue to him. Thanks.

I spent on 4 people $1700 with taxes and surcharges for a 10 day cruise.

I saw how much prices were before (I was monitoring this cruise for months). With the free at sea promotion. It's more then half the price without the free at sea.

I love a drink or two or three But not unlimited and I end up paying double the price. I feel I don't need a la cart or specialty dining. Every day. Maybe one day. I rather have no frills package. So I can continue having 2+ vacations a year

I wish NCL would offer the no frills at a lower price. We take the UBP as our perk but I really don't drink so if NCL offered no frills at a lower price I might actually save money by just buying drinks as we go.

And this is how they get you.