empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

I, as usual, have to agree with you.

This is bad.

Will it stop me from booking RCI? No. But thank goodness their onboard experience is better than their customer service. I feel bad for those impacted, and how Royal handled this really leaves me scratching my head. I simply do not understand. With past incidents, even as recently as the Anthem storm cruise and the previous Anthem cruises that were cut short, Royal handled them pretty decently. This Empress fiasco is appalling.

Alright, that's all I have to add.

I'll still be sailing Royal. :o

I have said that very same thing to other people when they have had issues dealing with the call centers. But the fact is, a true measure of a company is how they perform when things go wrong. RCI provides a good product and we enjoy sailing on the ships. But in the back of my mind I have this nagging sense that if something were to go wrong the experience is going to be frustrating.

I have not seen much improvement over the years of reading these boards with RCI dealing with adversity. At least their first response always seems to fall short until there is a ground swell of complaints. However, the issues with this ship have elevated RCI's short comings to a whole new level.

I, like you, will also be continuing to sail with RCI but it makes me wonder what I will have to endur should things go wrong on one of our cruises. And I have been doing a fair amount of reading on MSC out of curiosity.

Yeesh, now we are booked on the very first cruise on the Empress :eek:

I'm not too sure how I feel about that...

We are also on that sailing and not really looking forward to it anymore. If it is not cancelled, I will board the ship with the intent to enjoy it and not be on the lookout for problems. Frankly, though, I will have to really push myself into a positive attitude, because all I feel at this time is trepidation. We have booked another cruise on a different cruise line with a final payment date after May 28. If the Empress is cancelled, the small amount we paid for it will go towards the new booking. At this point, we are hoping for cancellation.

I have said that very same thing to other people when they have had issues dealing with the call centers. But the fact is, a true measure of a company is how they perform when things go wrong. RCI provides a good product and we enjoy sailing on the ships. But in the back of my mind I have this nagging sense that if something were to go wrong the experience is going to be frustrating.

I have not seen much improvement over the years of reading these boards with RCI dealing with adversity. At least their first response always seems to fall short until there is a ground swell of complaints. However, the issues with this ship have elevated RCI's short comings to a whole new level.

I, like you, will also be continuing to sail with RCI but it makes me wonder what I will have to endur should things go wrong on one of our cruises. And I have been doing a fair amount of reading on MSC out of curiosity.

I shared your feelings and comments before this whole ordeal with Empress. Having been cancelled twice, within 10 to 12 of sailing, and then dealing with the total lack of customer service, I will be exploring every other (non-RC affiliated) cruise line before booking another RC cruise.

For the amount of damage it now appears there is, this make the whole thing even worse. They had to know long before 10 to 12 days prior to sailing, and this last round of cancellation was 5 days before the first cruise. They have shown a total disregard for the people sailing on these by cancelling at the last minute and providing minimum reimbursement (this last one was more than the first round of cancellations) and no consideration of how disappointing it is to have a vacation pulled out from under you.

Many folks on these cruises were booked because of birthdays, anniversary's, graduations, or other celebrations. Our first booking was for our 36th wedding anniversary and a return trip to the Keys where we spent part of our honeymoon.

I have sailed on other lines, and we look to sail on others as my first choice. I don't know if they will be any better if / when something goes wrong, but I do know RC hasn't set the bar very high for them to beat!

We booked March 15th. I am wondering if the infamous website was still trying to catch up with the new policy at that point.

The website may still be showing the wrong final payment dates. If you booked after March 7th, you will fall under the new final payment dates (no matter what you saw when you booked. During my booking process, it was still showing the old dates, but Royal Caribbean knew I should be under the new dates). If you booked on or before, you should be under the old rules.

I told my TA this when I transferred my bookings. One was made after March 7, but still coming up as having the later date (60 days). TA did not believe me and called Royal, who confirmed the 90 days. TA was very surprised.

I think some people are going to be surprised as they go to cancel (any booking made after March 7th) because the new final payment dates do not always show up as they should.

Edited by marci22

Could you use RC Zika virus policy in regards to cancelling your cruise? I'm not even sure if Empress sail is to any Zika effected countries? It won't help with hotel and flights.

Just a thought, if it helps any of you.

Should you be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, we will provide you with alternate itinerary options. This may include providing a future cruise credit valid for two years so that you may re-schedule your voyage for a later date, with no penalty..

Zika cancellations require a note from an OB/GYN or attending medical professional- providing a statement that the person travelling or spouse is pregnant.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Zika cancellations require a note from an OB/GYN or attending medical professional- providing a statement that the person travelling or spouse is pregnant.

Thanks Sunkissed mommy.:) I read it to quick and thought it said "pregnant OR did not feel comfortable" sailing to areas effected with the Zika Virus.

We are also on that sailing and not really looking forward to it anymore. If it is not cancelled, I will board the ship with the intent to enjoy it and not be on the lookout for problems. Frankly, though, I will have to really push myself into a positive attitude, because all I feel at this time is trepidation. We have booked another cruise on a different cruise line with a final payment date after May 28. If the Empress is cancelled, the small amount we paid for it will go towards the new booking. At this point, we are hoping for cancellation.

I can understand the feeling! If we didn't have an OS at the insane prices they had on the first day I'd want it cancelled too and put towards another cruise. But I know when I booked it, this was an old ship and not up to standards of the new ships anyway, I just hope that it isn't a horrible experience.

I can understand the feeling! If we didn't have an OS at the insane prices they had on the first day I'd want it cancelled too and put towards another cruise. But I know when I booked it, this was an old ship and not up to standards of the new ships anyway, I just hope that it isn't a horrible experience.

We paid $343 pp (including ins) for an unobstructed OV on the first day. That won't go far towards another cruise. Once I settle down from the disappointment and disgust I feel towards RCI for the way this has been handled for other people, I will probably want to go. And will probably keep the "backup" booking as well, because we are hopelessly addicted :D

All I really need is a/c, hot water, and a working toilet. Bug-free would be a bonus.

I shared your feelings and comments before this whole ordeal with Empress. Having been cancelled twice, within 10 to 12 of sailing, and then dealing with the total lack of customer service, I will be exploring every other (non-RC affiliated) cruise line before booking another RC cruise.

For the amount of damage it now appears there is, this make the whole thing even worse. They had to know long before 10 to 12 days prior to sailing, and this last round of cancellation was 5 days before the first cruise. They have shown a total disregard for the people sailing on these by cancelling at the last minute and providing minimum reimbursement (this last one was more than the first round of cancellations) and no consideration of how disappointing it is to have a vacation pulled out from under you.

Many folks on these cruises were booked because of birthdays, anniversary's, graduations, or other celebrations. Our first booking was for our 36th wedding anniversary and a return trip to the Keys where we spent part of our honeymoon.

I have sailed on other lines, and we look to sail on others as my first choice. I don't know if they will be any better if / when something goes wrong, but I do know RC hasn't set the bar very high for them to beat!

^^^This

:(

Yeesh, now we are booked on the very first cruise on the Empress :eek:

I'm not too sure how I feel about that...

I am on the June 11th. I hope it sails! If not we are going to an all inclusive. I want to make the switch now but hubby still wants to cruise.

In my case it did hurt them. I used to be Loyal to Royal, they have been down graded in my book to just another vacation dollar option as opposed to the company that got all my vacation dollars.

I've looked at NCL in the past, some of the ships/features look pretty interesting but I would NEVER have booked a cruise on them due to having to make reservations for dinner every night, having to make reservations for shows, etc. If I wanted to do that I would book land based vacations, really didn't want to deal with the hassle. I'd much rather stick with 7pm shows followed by 8pm dinner every night. That's cruising to me.

Then my b2b on Empress got cancelled. I had two options, no vacation or cruise on NCL the same week. Chose NCL as any vacation is better than none. Found out my fears about the hassle of reservations were groundless. NCL's website is amazingly easy to navigate (compared to RCCL) and I had all my reservations done in a few minutes.

Royal's only hope now is that I really miss the benefits Emerald provided me, but thinking about it, other than embarkation, I can't really think of one at the moment.

People are creatures of habit, Royal forced me into a corner and I had to break the Royal Caribbean habit. I'll still cruise with them, we have Adventure booked out of San Juan in October. 2017 though? I kind of seriously doubt they are considered. We are looking hard at MSC right now, they are matching my Emerald status on Royal so it won't be like giving up anything. Not to mention, I've booked with another cruise line now, it was a little scary, but I got thru it.

Thanks Royal Caribbean, for forcing me to experience your competition. Old habits are hard to break, and unless pushed I never would have tried.

I feel exactly the same as you do on the above mentioned.

I was on April 7 sailing changed to Apr 4 sailing on Indy which cost me unplanned extra dollars. I am still miffed about them changing the plans, them cancelling and yet oh ya we will give you 200.00 and a refund for what you paid if you wish OR you can go on the Majesty. Even though the hotels were pre-paid, air change was more than 200.00 and the Indy cost me more unplanned charges. How is it that they can do this but if we cancelled on them we would get "nothing"...This wasn't life changing for me and I was fortunate enough to have been able to have the means to even get a vacation where some didn't which is very, very sad for these people. It still leaves a bad taste and to top it off they are now offering the second victims far more then they offered the first ones, how does that make sense!!

I am also booked on the Adventure out of San Juan this November and if it wasn't for the itinerary and timelines I would consider changing my plans, so far cancellation is not totally ruled out, I am still on the fence. I am definitely seeking out other options for next years cruise plans.

This has been the most frustrating event I have ever had to deal with. Called Royal on hold forever! Nothing matches up for May 9th :mad:

Now we are booking on the Sensation for the same exact days because we are stuck between a rock and a hard place! Can't change work vacation we are traveling with another couple. Air fare, and hotels that have been prepaid.

My husband and I were booked on the April 30 sailing and switched to the Sensation as well since we could not change a vacation again. I'm a little nervous about this ship but we'll make the best of it! I need this getaway more than ever now!:)

My husband and I were booked on the April 30 sailing and switched to the Sensation as well since we could not change a vacation again. I'm a little nervous about this ship but we'll make the best of it! I need this getaway more than ever now!:)

This is the most frustrating process I have ever had to deal with, We were told twice that if we rebook by the 30th of April we would not loose our ob credit, it seems everyone you talk to has no idea what they are doing.. I realize that they are bombarded with frustrated people but come on do the right thing for your customers especially long term ones.

I was on the sensation about 10 years ago, it was nice then, hopefully it still is. I couldn't change again either my vacation.

Sorry you got cancelled... But, I think you will be pleasantly surprised... The Sensation is nice. I enjoy the back adult only serenity area at the aft of the ship... Very peaceful...

I have to say I am shocked at what RCCL is getting away with as far as compensation... Seems CCL would have been crucified in the media for this! Vacation should not be that frustrating!! Sorry for all those affected!

We've been watching our sailing for May 28th. It's now showing as "Sold Out".

I'd be really surprised if we're not cancelled too. I figure if we're cancelled, we probably won't be notified for at least a few more weeks! The frustration continues. :(

Edited by lr657

I'd be really surprised if we're not cancelled too. I figure if we're cancelled, we probably won't be notified for at least a few more weeks! The frustration continues. :(

Just great. Royal has screwed up big time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where did you see that? I still see availability for May 28th and all of June.

Sadly, I don't think any of the big cruise lines have a clue about customer service. None of the 5 I've cruised with do a very good job when things go wrong. I've never sailed NCL, but when I had a cruise cancelled I was so appalled at their attitude and the dismissive way they spoke to me I vowed to never take a Norwegian cruise. Never is a long time, but this happened over a year ago and I'm not ready to soften my stance yet. Maybe Oceania...I know they're owned by NCL, but those cruises are really intriguing to me!

I'm also disgusted at the late notification, and I don't even have plans to sail on the Empress! I agree...they have to have known the extent of the repairs and the time it would take to make things right. To continue to string people along and hold on to their money until as little as 5 days before sailing shows a total lack of consideration for their customers.:mad:

Edited by Cindy

Earlier this afternoon, availability was shown for May 28 but when I clicked on a cabin type to "book now", there was a message saying no rooms are available. If there is going to be another 30 +/- days of this type of aggravation/worry, I wish they would just cancel now.

Earlier this afternoon, availability was shown for May 28 but when I clicked on a cabin type to "book now", there was a message saying no rooms are available. If there is going to be another 30 +/- days of this type of aggravation/worry, I wish they would just cancel now.

I saw it an hour ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe they are limiting their losses in case it doesn't happen

On the RCI website, the cruise for May 28th shows "Sold Out". If the cruise is cancelled, I don't understand why it's necessary to again let everyone know at the last minute. I would rather be notified now so we can make other plans.

Back in October while enjoying my Universal Orlando portion pre-cruise, I read about the news of Empress returning to the fleet. Thought this might be something I'd do for next October.

Late December, when bookings became available for this spring at great rates that looked too good to be true, I so wanted to cruise Empress this May. Problem was that I couldn't get the time off from work. Turns out the to problem was when something looks too good to be true, it probably is, and holds true for Empress (& Royal Caribbean).

I noticed they had Empress scheduled to call on Key West and Grand Cayman on the dates I was interested in sailing this fall, but not available for booking. I was looking at a couple other itineraries that were too much, and price only went up.

I have now given up on the Empress (and Royal Caribbean in general) and have booked my next cruise on Norwegian. Good luck Royal Caribbean, and call me if and when you get your act together. Keep my Diamond status waiting for me...

Edited by TM38Rob

Maybe they are limiting their losses in case it doesn't happen

Very likely. The speculation is very tiring. I enjoy the anticipation and planning of cruises almost as much as the cruise itself, and that is just not happening this time.