Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

I quite agree that you should expect to have a good time. I have been on ships with Noro many times. I have gotten it three times. That never spoiled my cruise. Nor did anyone else on the ship even know I was sick.

And then we wonder WHY!!!!?????

GEEEZZZZ

Can I respectfully suggest that you read post #298 and then apologise.

I quite agree that you should expect to have a good time. I have been on ships with Noro many times. I have gotten it three times. That never spoiled my cruise. Nor did anyone else on the ship even know I was sick.

And then we wonder WHY!!!!?????

GEEEZZZZ

He/she said they were in quarantine.

So I would think that we still are code green. Sounds like things are back to normal and will stay that way. We will be there in July and it is coming fast. Keep the ship clean for us. Safe cruse.

Is the ship back on Code Green, and is everything back to normal?

Herd they were. Has something changed in the last day or so? Sure hope not.

The captain just announced that the noro has been contained; but then said that 2 people have come down with gastro problems. Perhaps the tenders got them sick.

I was appalled in a recent post to see that Europe does not care about code red. They most certainly do - all three of 45 cruises we have seen noro were in code red with all the same conditions except for the disinfectant running down the walls and seats. In all cases Orient Lines, P&O and HAL kept us fully informed each day, had people actually manning the purinell machines - much harder for passengers to ignore, and in each case we did not have noro for the whole cruise. In fact without having noro onboard HAL had a code orange on the first two days of every cruise which involved no self service etc, but nothing else. This was to try and prevent people bringing noro onboard, though I think they may have stopped that practice.

We have over many years been on several cruiselines but have now settled to mainly HAL and then Riviera for Europe for the last two years. I hope we may cruise on her again but have just booked our last cruise for this year on HAL. I don't like the term sick ship but there is something very, very wrong here and I don't think it can all be put at the doors of passengers. I was very disturbed by the CDC reports of crewmembers working whilst ill and not reporting till early evening. I wonder if perhaps that is the only time crew can report to the medical centre - if so, Oceania really needs to get this sorted. Can you imagine the damage a stewardess or steward doing your cabin with the disease. Likewise food workers.

Whilst Oceania keep blaming the passengers, I do not believe for one minute they really think this and must be very worried. They will never concede that point however. One thing I have found on our two cruises on Oceania and reading the boards they do not communicate with passengers. Usually cruiselines do not charge medical fees for norovirus and I think they should not. Far more people would admit to symptoms if they did. Furthermore they also usually return your port fees for cancelled ports - did Oceania do this?

Sad to hear that yet again there is a GI outbreak. I have returned from the Regatta's South American trip and as my symptoms reoccurred on arrival back home, my Doctor had a sample sent to the lab. I didn't have Noro I had Entamoeba histolytica and I am being treated for Amoebiasis. I do not know whether I got this in Peru or on board the Regatta, but I think people need to get themselves checked when they return home.

Sad to hear that yet again there is a GI outbreak. I have returned from the Regatta's South American trip and as my symptoms reoccurred on arrival back home, my Doctor had a sample sent to the lab. I didn't have Noro I had Entamoeba histolytica and I am being treated for Amoebiasis. I do not know whether I got this in Peru or on board the Regatta, but I think people need to get themselves checked when they return home.

I think it is Peru

A friend did a land trip last month to Peru was sick twice one when she got home

I should mention to her to get check for this bug if her doctor has not

Some other ships stopping in Peru also had something going around

I was appalled in a recent post to see that Europe does not care about code red. They most certainly do - all three of 45 cruises we have seen noro were in code red with all the same conditions except for the disinfectant running down the walls and seats.

of course they do

you cannot believe everything you read on CC

I was appalled in a recent post to see that Europe does not care about code red. They most certainly do - all three of 45 cruises we have seen noro were in code red with all the same conditions except for the disinfectant running down the walls and seats. In all cases Orient Lines, P&O and HAL kept us fully informed each day, had people actually manning the purinell machines - much harder for passengers to ignore, and in each case we did not have noro for the whole cruise. In fact without having noro onboard HAL had a code orange on the first two days of every cruise which involved no self service etc, but nothing else. This was to try and prevent people bringing noro onboard, though I think they may have stopped that practice.

We have over many years been on several cruiselines but have now settled to mainly HAL and then Riviera for Europe for the last two years. I hope we may cruise on her again but have just booked our last cruise for this year on HAL. I don't like the term sick ship but there is something very, very wrong here and I don't think it can all be put at the doors of passengers. I was very disturbed by the CDC reports of crewmembers working whilst ill and not reporting till early evening. I wonder if perhaps that is the only time crew can report to the medical centre - if so, Oceania really needs to get this sorted. Can you imagine the damage a stewardess or steward doing your cabin with the disease. Likewise food workers.

Whilst Oceania keep blaming the passengers, I do not believe for one minute they really think this and must be very worried. They will never concede that point however. One thing I have found on our two cruises on Oceania and reading the boards they do not communicate with passengers. Usually cruiselines do not charge medical fees for norovirus and I think they should not. Far more people would admit to symptoms if they did. Furthermore they also usually return your port fees for cancelled ports - did Oceania do this?

Do you know which governmental agencies in Europe require the cruise lines to report the numbers like the CDC does?

To answer your question about return port fees for cancelled ports, NO is the answer for this cruise. They did not return the port fees.

To answer your question about return port fees for cancelled ports, NO is the answer for this cruise. They did not return the port fees.

Oceania keeps all the port fees weather they stop at all the ports or not. They charge them somewhere in the cruise fare we pay, but keep all of them no matter what. Is it legal? don't know. don't think so. Someone should take them to court. Sure are not doing the right think. :(:(

We were advised on Tuesday that our charter group,embarking Sunday,would be delayed slightly as the vessel will undergo a comprehensive,multi-day sanitation procedure under the close supervision of the CDC prior to our embarkation.

I understand (from friends now on board) there were quite recent incidents in public view of projectile vomiting over the past two days.

If others on board are on CC, might you offer an update prior to arriving in Miami?

Can anyone on board the Riviera at this time provide information about what facilities and amenities are available? Are the laundry rooms open? Is the Library open? What about the Executive and Concierge lounges–are they open and are, newspapers, coffee, and pastries provided in these lounges? Are nuts or chips served with drinks in the bars?

I raised the norovirus issue with our TA and she said the ship had had problems but had been dry docked and sanitized which is not consistent with .the information here. I told her about the up to date posts here and asked her to contact Oceania again to get assurances about the transatlantic which leaves on April 11.

Am I correct in thinking that the ship cannnot leave Miami if a code red is still in effect?

I really think that Oceania needs to be entirely upfront about this and tell us what is happening.

I raised the norovirus issue with our TA and she said the ship had had problems but had been dry docked and sanitized which is not consistent with .the information here. I told her about the up to date posts here and asked her to contact Oceania again to get assurances about the transatlantic which leaves on April 11.

Am I correct in thinking that the ship cannnot leave Miami if a code red is still in effect?

I really think that Oceania needs to be entirely upfront about this and tell us what is happening.

I believe that the ship made an early return to Miami and was briefly dry docked and professional deep cleaning crew was onboard working about a month ago. Someone will correct.

The Riviera was not dry-docked, but when it returned to Miami from a cruise two days early it was thoroughly cleaned under CDC supervision. This apparently did not stop the norovirus attacks and the draconian measures to prevent their spread on the present cruise.

You cannot have a code red unless 3% of passengers are quarantined with norovirus. If passengers are just boarding, they would not fit into that category.

Edited by warburg