Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

But according to the experts here it is not the passengers

You can still be in the contagious stage up to 72 hrs I am surprised you were released after only 36

from CDC

You are most contagious

• when you are sick with norovirus illness, and
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

I'm pretty sure my quarantine on Holland America was 36 hours as well. I felt much better after 24 but better to be cautious.

Perhaps the quarantine is not long enough according to what you posted from the CDC, but I have to assume the cruise lines know what they are doing as they work closely with the CDC on these matters. I'm pretty sure they follow whatever guidelines the CDC recommends.

I'm pretty sure my quarantine on Holland America was 36 hours as well. I felt much better after 24 but better to be cautious.

Yes you can feel better but you can still spread the virus up to 72 after you feel better

Maybe the confinement is not long enough 48 hrs after you start to feel better would be better for the fellow passengers but you might be stir crazy by then too ;)

I barely got out of bed for 2 days when I got it then too weak to worry about going out & about

I barely got out of bed for 2 days when I got it then too weak to worry about going out & about

That's too bad. I bounced back rather quickly and still had something like six days of the cruise to enjoy. I'm sure it effects each person differently and there are many different strains of the virus as well.

Ten years ago, when my son came down with noro on the first full day of a Disney cruise, they kept us all quarantined for 72 hours, regardless of the fact that it was only my son who was sick. They treated us like royalty, bringing us meals from the main dining room, DVD's, and toys for my son. We were pleased that no one else on the cruise came down with the virus. Insurance reimbursed us for half of the cruise fare. No, it wasn't a fun trip, but life happens. Disney earned our loyalty, not scorn, for how they took care of us. Customer service makes all the difference.

Edited by cruisewmn

I just saw a very interesting report concerning ice in restaurants and how random tests have shown that 70% of restaurant ice is contaminated to the point that it's equivalent to your basic toilet water. I know that when I've traveled to certain foreign countries I don't drink anything with ice because of concern over contamination. Just wondering if this could be part of the problem with O?

Does anyone know if some people are more prone to catching viruses like Noro and can a person have an immunity? Does the yearly flu shot provide any kind of protection?

Does anyone know if some people are more prone to catching viruses like Noro and can a person have an immunity? Does the yearly flu shot provide any kind of protection?

The yearly flu shot is based on the flu from the previous year ..it may or may not protect you from the current strain

I doubt you can have immunity to NORO as the virus mutates with each outbreak

Years ago on a cruise DH who rarely gets sick came down with a terrible bug high fever 104, chills was out for count for 2-3 days on heavy duty antibiotics ...people were coughing & hacking all over the ship

Me with the compromised immune system never got sick at all

It is the luck of the draw in some cases

I read on one of the med sights that seniors are more apt to get noro and it is a winter thing. That said we took the 14 day Riveria trip from Miami two years in a row with no problem so who knows. I guess I would advoid the Riveria for now.

Ten years ago, when my son came down with noro on the first full day of a Disney cruise, they kept us all quarantined for 72 hours, regardless of the fact that it was only my son who was sick. They treated us like royalty, bringing us meals from the main dining room, DVD's, and toys for my son. We were pleased that no one else on the cruise came down with the virus. Insurance reimbursed us for half of the cruise fare. No, it wasn't a fun trip, but life happens. Disney earned our loyalty, not scorn, for how they took care of us. Customer service makes all the difference.

Exactly :). You said it far better than I tried to :)

Yes.

Life Happens.

But it's how the <whatever> is handled that makes all the difference.

Saw a great billboard years ago, while they needed filler after taking down all the booze ads, 'til they resold the space:

"There is only one thing that customers remember more than good service.

Bad service."

Indeed.

Our favorite ship (in a PH) but if this persistent stomach virus epidemic continues on Riviera, Oceania may have to reprint her in all white with a big red cross or rename her "Mexican Riviera"...

Edited by JPR

Yes.

Life Happens.

But it's how the <whatever> is handled that makes all the difference.

Saw a great billboard years ago, while they needed filler after taking down all the booze ads, 'til they resold the space:

"There is only one thing that customers remember more than good service.

Bad service."

Indeed.

You are so right. Bad service sticks with you forever.

For the early April transatlantic on Riviera, won't passengers want additional protection before boarding? Once aboard, you are stuck with the smelly goo, the virus spreading, hoping praying beseeching your luck holds so you don't get sick.

That's some vacation!

O will not tell us this: noro has plagued Riviera for many months, even prior to the Nov crossing on which so many of us endured the Abbott & Costello show. Nothing appears to have changed - virus remains, management remains as invisible and indifferent as before.

Look for me out front at the Miami port. I'll be selling HAZMAT suits. Cash only. One sure way to "clean up!"

Now, now people. You know the O cheerleaders have clearly said there is nothing wrong with the ship and its management. It's only a matter of people flying in sick with Noro and near exclusively getting only on the Riveria. Then all those sick people don't wash their hands after they use the potty, and there you go.

The greater questions is: Why do sick people, bringing Noro from their homes or previous travel, prefer Oceania/Riveria almost exclusively over all other ships/lines? Is there a marketing campaign I'm unaware of ? :rolleyes:

Now, now people. You know the O cheerleaders have clearly said there is nothing wrong with the ship and its management. It's only a matter of people flying in sick with Noro and near exclusively getting only on the Riveria. Then all those sick people don't wash their hands after they use the potty, and there you go.

The greater questions is: Why do sick people, bringing Noro from their homes or previous travel, prefer Oceania/Riveria almost exclusively over all other ships/lines? Is there a marketing campaign I'm unaware of ? :rolleyes:

Problem is after these many months we still not know the real answer. Not from O, not from all the posters on CC and not even from the CDC. There has to be a reason why Riviera and not most other ships. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks LHT28, Mura & eroller for bringing me back to my senses. You are right LHT28, I could break my leg on the golf course. In fact, I have a two-day tournament Tues. & Wed. I shall tread very carefully. Ha Ha

In over 70 cruises, I don't recall ever having been sick except once on HAL with food poisoning. I'm sure everything will be okay. If my daughter can survive being with the airlines for 25 years and my working in healthcare, then I'm sure we can be careful.

We've heard all the theories.

The icky passengers keep bringing it on board. They fly into Miami on their germy airplanes after visiting their sick church in Rustbelt City. They are old. They bring the noro with them.

Or it's the food deliveries at the port. Infested with noro.

Or the Miami taxi drivers. Or the baggage handlers. Or the card readers at the port. All have noro.

Or it's the people coming back from shore excursions in the Caribbean or Mexico. Obviously noro.

*If even one of these were true, you would expect to see noro on other ships in Miami or the Caribbean!*

Other ships have passengers flying in. Other ships have food deliveries. Other ships call at Caribbean ports. AND YET. Only the Riviera. And not just once, but multiple successive voyages, again and again, despite all the cleaning.

The ONLY common denominator is the ship itself, and by that I mean the ship's physical plant and/or the crew.

Everyone else comes and goes but the noro lingers on.

Thanks LHT28, Mura & eroller for bringing me back to my senses. You are right LHT28, I could break my leg on the golf course. In fact, I have a two-day tournament Tues. & Wed. I shall tread very carefully. Ha Ha

In over 70 cruises, I don't recall ever having been sick except once on HAL with food poisoning. I'm sure everything will be okay. If my daughter can survive being with the airlines for 25 years and my working in healthcare, then I'm sure we can be careful.

I am sure you will be OK just be careful where your hands go before they enter your mouth :D

Good luck with the golfing

Lyn

Other ships have passengers flying in. Other ships have food deliveries. Other ships call at Caribbean ports. AND YET. Only the Riviera. And not just once, but multiple successive voyages, again and again, despite all the cleaning.

Maybe some other ships do not reach the 2- 3% criteria to report to CDC

:confused:

We've heard all the theories.

The icky passengers keep bringing it on board. They fly into Miami on their germy airplanes after visiting their sick church in Rustbelt City. They are old. They bring the noro with them.

Or it's the food deliveries at the port. Infested with noro.

Or the Miami taxi drivers. Or the baggage handlers. Or the card readers at the port. All have noro.

Or it's the people coming back from shore excursions in the Caribbean or Mexico. Obviously noro.

*If even one of these were true, you would expect to see noro on other ships in Miami or the Caribbean!*

The ONLY common denominator is the ship itself, and by that I mean the ship's physical plant and/or the crew.

Everyone else comes and goes but the noro lingers on.

It is scarcely rocket science - there is clearly a massive problem with Riviera. Having been on a February cruise, we will not use Oceania ever again.

I have been on Princess and HAL ships with noro cases. One was a b2b and the second part had noro. My husband saw men leaving the bathroom without washing their hands; we both saw behavior on a food tour at the turn around port that would have spread noro immediately if the person had had it, maybe she did. Lots of inconsiderate passenger behavior on the other "noro ship" as well.

Where do you think the virus is hiding on the Riviera?

HI!

We were on Riviera on Jan. 23rd-Feb 2nd and there were no health issues. We are currently aboard and feel fine. The crew is working extra hard to sanitize the ship. We are enjoying the cruise and feel badly for those not feeling well. However, we will continue to cruise with Oceania because we do not blame the ship. I still believe passengers don't use proper hygiene and several come on sick and spread the illness. We have been on Riviera 9 times and have never experienced any problems. We currently have 7 upcoming Oceania cruises and feel this problem will soon be rectified. I also believe that on April 6th, the day reservations open for 2017, Oceania will be swamped with reservations.

If you don't feel comfortable sailing with them, you should not. But many passengers still do and that's why so many are booking onboard this cruise.

Rhea

HI!

We were on Riviera on Jan. 23rd-Feb 2nd and there were no health issues. We are currently aboard and feel fine. The crew is working extra hard to sanitize the ship. We are enjoying the cruise and feel badly for those not feeling well. However, we will continue to cruise with Oceania because we do not blame the ship. I still believe passengers don't use proper hygiene and several come on sick and spread the illness. We have been on Riviera 9 times and have never experienced any problems. We currently have 7 upcoming Oceania cruises and feel this problem will soon be rectified. I also believe that on April 6th, the day reservations open for 2017, Oceania will be swamped with reservations.

If you don't feel comfortable sailing with them, you should not. But many passengers still do and that's why so many are booking onboard this cruise.

Rhea

Hope you are right, but have my reservations. First time in 10 years or so of sailing with Oceania I am beginning to have doubts.

Greetings from Noro-free South Beach. The speculation about why Noro persists on Riviera is not as interesting to me as is Management's failure to put passengers first. We all paid for our cruises a while ago, and on time. Yet, O is not allowing people anxious about boarding Riviera the opportunity to cancel, penalty free. It may be legal to hang on to our money, but it is immoral. Many recent passengers have received a degraded product, and we know the details. Yet, we paid for a product including open venues, the full number of paid days aboard, Executive, Concierge Lounges, library, laundry, shops, et al., shore excursions that take place, clean and dry walls and furniture, you know, a cruise. O has failed to deliver on multiple occasions. No matter how the Noro got on board. O is protecting its profits literally at the expense of captive passengers. It is a rare passenger who will just cancel and make a full fare contribution to O even under these circumstances. Fares on O have always felt worth every penny to us. That was yesterday, this is now. It would be interesting to get Management's rational for treating passengers this way after five months of Noro on Riviera.

We have taken over 50 cruises, the last six on O. Enough said.

Mary

Edited by warburg

We were handed the same questionnaire (2/12 cruise). But there were no instructions as what to do with it once filled out. My husband took it to the reception desk, where they seemed confused.

I suspect it went into the circular file.