Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

Maybe If O handled Noro the way Crystal historically has there would be less unhappiness. If you are confined to your cabin by Noro, Crystal rebates you the per diem cost in shipboard credits. Maybe if O followed that policy there would be a lot less complaining.

Sounds fair

And on we go .Boy , you make a convincing argument Heather .

It looks like you pays your money and takes your chances . If I were able to cancel ,I would . But traveling , to me is not such a thrill . It doesn't look like Oceana is allowing people to do that ( cancel ).A 14 day Trans Atlantic is a bit more daunting as you can't get off if worse comes to worse .And your way out .... I do appreciate your optimism .

:) Optimism? I reread my post to find it. I confess it's my nature to see the glass half full so often I could have the same experience as someone else and report it entirely differently. But I fail to see optimism in my post. I simply stated the facts as I know them. I believe no particular person is at fault for Noro onboard Riviera because people are not responsible for picking up viruses of any kind, but unlike some others, I certainly don't blame Oceania just as I wouldn't blame any other line.

Seriously, if Oceania could rid the Riviera of Noro forevermore, don't you think they would do that?

Really Heather??

I have to say I am disappointed as I have had the utmost respect for you.

I'm sorry, but there are more ways to spread Noro than just the passengers and I am glad they stepped up the game for your cruise.

it's not a matter of what cruise line I prefer and we obviously have to decide which one to move to next because I surely won't make the mistake of paying the $$$ we did on this one and having no response on board and little caring from the home office........

...........Flame away. I spent my $ just like you do. I think I should have had the same experience.

Actually I left the ship thinking., if this had a blue hull with good HAL crew (or alternate) it would have been a great cruise. Rooms are fabulous. Crew, debatable. Service??? A toss of the coin. Cheers and may all your cruises be wonderful :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't flaming you at all ... quite the contrary. I said it was a shame you had a bad experience. But I'm generally put off when someone addresses me personally beginning with "Really!?"....... You know that's an insult and not respectful. I don't understand why you continue to post on a board for a cruise line you have said frequently you never plan to travel on again. When HAL disappointed me to that point, I never posted there again. Over and done. Yet you jump on every negative thread particularly as it relates to Noro.

Heather, I am not sure (and I do not know) if your assertion above is correct. Perhaps there were cases but the numbers during that period simply were not high enough to meet the CDC reporting threshold.

It is correct. It's not an "assertion". It's what transpired during the period of time beginning with its return to Miami Saturday night and when we boarded Monday. And while a few people became ill during our cruise and were temporarily quarantined during our cruise, they were tested for Noro and were negative.

All that said, would I hop back on Riviera on her return? Nope:)

I am living with code red now and it has not taken away from a lively O cruise. The minor inconveniences, to me, just haven't been that big of a deal. I will happily travel with O any chance I get. The crew has been so accommodating, despite their being over worked.

I've been on other cruise lines dealing with Noro and agree it was a minor inconvenience. I didn't spend my time analyzing or advising crew members on how to handle.

Incidental we met two couples on board Regatta who had been on the Riviera TA. One man told us he was on the big roll call for that cruise but he was turned off by some of the dramatic trip reports. Both couples said the cruise wasn't anywhere near as bad. Opinions vary of course.

:) <snip>

I wasn't flaming you at all ... quite the contrary. I said it was a shame you had a bad experience. But I'm generally put off when someone addresses me personally beginning with "Really!?"....... You know that's an insult and not respectful.

Heather, I meant no insult or disrespect when I said "really". My apologies if I offended. That was not my intent at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is correct. It's not an "assertion". It's what transpired during the period of time beginning with its return to Miami Saturday night and when we boarded Monday. And while a few people became ill during our cruise and were temporarily quarantined during our cruise, they were tested for Noro and were negative.

All that said, would I hop back on Riviera on her return? Nope:)

You misunderstood my comment. I certainly know that the ship was cleaned starting February 20 because I was one of those whose cruise was cut short so this could take place!

You stated that there was no Noro on Riviera for just about three weeks. How do you know if that is true?? Oceania does not have to report to the CDC unless cases meet a certain threshold.

Certainly I feel that I was misled by Oceania when we all were told that Noro had declined onboard and no further information was provided until two days later when we were told that we were motoring back to Miami two days early. IMO this persistent omission of information shows a severe lack in crisis management; not blaming Oceania for Noro but certainly for how it has been handled.

To my sincere dismay, all that has occurred has resulted in my loss of trust in Oceania. Of course with no response at all to my three-page letter to Oceania management so far, my opinion is not improving. Eight of my ten cruises ever have been on Oceania but at this point I am not contemplating another. I am not happy about my views but time so far has not softened my opinion.

Edited by CintiPam

I've been on other cruise lines dealing with Noro and agree it was a minor inconvenience. I didn't spend my time analyzing or advising crew members on how to handle.

Incidental we met two couples on board Regatta who had been on the Riviera TA. One man told us he was on the big roll call for that cruise but he was turned off by some of the dramatic trip reports. Both couples said the cruise wasn't anywhere near as bad. Opinions vary of course.

I wanted to point out that it's not only the opinion that can vary, but the experience, as well. :rolleyes:

Some cruise passengers will have a bad experience happen to them onboard, whereas others may not have anything but the inconvenience. While you, Heather, and the MVPinBoynton's are sunny and were not inconvenienced by the virus procedures, the experiences that my DH and I had were an inconvenience +. And I am a sunny person! :)

Instances like the 3 service doors slamming along with loud talking throughout the hallway, outside our stateroom, day and night. This went on for at least 6 days/nights while the crew trudged back and forth with barrels of cleaning solution heading to other areas of the ship. I also don't call it an inconvenience when the clothes in ones drawer (us), or someones computer laptop, get wet from the cleaning solution, ! :eek:

In addition, the crew were so worn out :( that many were not friendly, and the service suffered. This was our first cruise with Oceania, and while I realize that the Noro was not the ships fault, and many things about the cleaning we tolerated and understood, our cruise was far from stellar and at a great cost! In 33 cruises, we have never experienced anything like our cruise on Oceania.

Anyway, just wanted those naysayers to see that sometimes passengers do have a right to complain and this is a Cruise "Critic" forum. :) We were so excited about taking our first Oceania cruise, and even though we had a bad experience, we were willing to try Oceania once more. However, as each day passes by without a response from them, those thoughts are dwindling fast. See my signature line? We would like to add an 2017 Oceania cruise under that last line.

You stated that there was no Noro on Riviera for just about three weeks. How do you know if that is true?? Oceania does not have to report to the CDC unless cases meet a certain threshold.

Certainly I feel that I was misled by Oceania when we all were told that Noro had declined onboard and no further information was provided until two days later when we were told that we were motoring back to Miami two days early. IMO this persistent omission of information shows a severe lack in crisis management; not blaming Oceania for Noro but certainly for how it has been handled.

To my sincere dismay, all that has occurred has resulted in my loss of trust in Oceania. Of course with no response at all to my three-page letter to Oceania management so far, my opinion is not improving. Eight of my ten cruises ever have been on Oceania but at this point I am not contemplating another. I am not happy about my views but time so far has not softened my opinion.

I don't believe for a minute that there were no cases of Noro on the last two cruises. We have already heard reports of the "yellow tape" being on some doors, and then there are the passengers coming home sick from the last cruise. And now 92 passengers on the current cruise. YIKES!

Pam - Maybe you should try Celebrity out. You may have some complaints (there are complainers over on that forum, too), but the cruise is bound to be better than what we both experienced on Oceania. If the Celebrity experience is worse, maybe Oceania will not look so bad the next time. I say that in jest.:D

Edited by Iamthesea

Announcement just made by Captain that there is 48 confined cases at present and a total of 92 for the whole cruise.

Another great day on Riviera.

Looks like 92 to me. I think if you are spending lots for a trip a true luxery line is the way to go as they know how to treat people. Also a mass market line treats the expensive cabins very well. This luxery lite stuff is not worth it IMO.

They have been reading our threads about how dissatisfied we were with communication on the earlier cruises. ;)

Actually on our Dec 2-22 cruise, the captain announced daily how many new gastro cases there were on his daily noon announcement, and how many tested positive for noro (0 after Dec 3). We stayed in code red until Dec 19th due to new Gastro cases being reported daily, and the captain kept us informed daily of the progress.

According to Dottie, there have been a total of 92 cases and currently 41 still have it. O has been very good about providing us with current information on the cruise.

Thanks for clarifying Mike! Hope you are still enjoying yourself.

Dear God, reading all of this really has me worried. We are booked on the TA to Barcelona so we can meet the Sirena for the inaugural cruise. I am having nightmares that we could get sick and not be able to do the Sirena. Originally we were flying into Barcelona spending 3 days prior to the Sirena cruise, but when I saw the TA, we added the Riviera trip.

My daughter works for a major airline and has taken the month off to do this trip with me since my husband just passed away. I really wanted to do the trip.

I love O as I have been on her 16 times and it would have been more by now if not for other circumstances.

I'm just in a real dilemma, and instead of getting excited, I am living in dread. :eek:

Dear God, reading all of this really has me worried. We are booked on the TA to Barcelona so we can meet the Sirena for the inaugural cruise. I am having nightmares that we could get sick and not be able to do the Sirena. Originally we were flying into Barcelona spending 3 days prior to the Sirena cruise, but when I saw the TA, we added the Riviera trip.

My daughter works for a major airline and has taken the month off to do this trip with me since my husband just passed away. I really wanted to do the trip.

I love O as I have been on her 16 times and it would have been more by now if not for other circumstances.

I'm just in a real dilemma, and instead of getting excited, I am living in dread. :eek:

You could also break a leg on the golf course ;)

Try not to stress about it ..you may not even have it on the cruise & if you do then take precautions

Over 1100 pax on current cruise are not sick

My sympathies, of course, on the loss of your husband. And how wonderful of your daughter to take time off to sail with you.

I agree with Lyn. Not everyone gets ill, and if you know the precautions to take you should be okay. It wouldn't hurt, though, to bring along some anti-diarrheal meds to have on hand! And also to stock up on those medicated wipes that have been recommended (not mere sanitizers).

When I was feeling ill on MARINA last April I took some of those OTC meds and was fine the next morning. It would not appear that I had Noro. Likewise my husband who came down with a bug the next day but was released from quarantine 24 hours after he was confined to our room.

Stress in advance can cause problems as well!

This should be a wonderful trip for you. Remember what Lyn said: most passengers did NOT have a problem.

Good luck,

Mura

Riviera was not allowed to dock in Aruba.

On previous cruises with a norovirus outbreak on the Riviera ;

Which ports were missed because of the norovirus ?

Riviera was not allowed to dock in which ports ???

You should still be excited! Remember the vast majority are having a great time and not getting sick. The odds are you won't get sick, and even if you do this is not an illness that will ruin your entire cruise. In 24 hours it's pretty much through your system, 48 hours tops. I got it once on Holland America (and it was very poorly handled BTW) and within 24 hours of the first symptoms I was feeling much better, and after 48 I would say I was 100% better and went on to enjoy my cruise. I'll also mention that was one time in over 100 cruises I have taken. Not bad odds I would say, and just off the RIVIERA as well and no illness. In fact had a fantastic time! Of course no one wants to get sick and have precious vacation time taken from them, but thankfully this is not a long term illness. While not pleasant, it's short lived thank goodness. On the plus side should you become ill, you will lose any weight you might have gained from all the great food! ;) I wouldn't dwell too much on this thread.

Edited by eroller

Tonight we were released from 36 hours of confinement in our cabin due to norovirus. Within one hour of our release I observed a women leave a public restroom stall and go directly into the Grand Dining Room without washing nor using the hand sanitizers.

People wonder how this virus spreads. No further comment is required.

Tonight we were released from 36 hours of confinement in our cabin due to norovirus. Within one hour of our release I observed a women leave a public restroom stall and go directly into the Grand Dining Room without washing nor using the hand sanitizers.

Glad you're feeling better. Did they red tape your door? Just curious. Maybe you wouldn't even know since it's on the outside of your door.

Yes people can be selfish and inconsiderate not to mention dirty. I see it on the airplane all the time and as you say no wonder this spreads so quickly. Can you imagine how many lie on the embarkation health questionnaire?

What was the protocol for confinement? Was your cabin mate confined too and was food made available for him/her? Did you have access to fluids, Gator Aid, toast etc? Was tape put on your door? Sorry for all these questions but we will be on Riviera in a few weeks and 36 hours doesn't sound as bad as some other reports. I hope you are feeling better and will be able to fully enjoy the rest of your cruise. And the non hand washing person- you will find ignorance in many places, even on a fine cruise line as Oceania.

Riviera was not allowed to dock in Aruba.

On previous cruises with a norovirus outbreak on the Riviera ;

Which ports were missed because of the norovirus ?

Riviera was not allowed to dock in which ports ???

They missed a overnight in Bermuda.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

But according to the experts here it is not the passengers

You can still be in the contagious stage up to 72 hrs I am surprised you were released after only 36

from CDC

You are most contagious

• when you are sick with norovirus illness, and
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

Edited by LHT28