Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

Should I be re-thinking my July cruise on Riviera? 17 days potentially with Noro will make me very cranky!

Greetings from Noro-free South Beach. JVNYC, if you haven't made final payment, yes indeed. The people currently on Riviera have not received the product they bought. Oceania's compensation for the two missed day on the February cruise was the bare minimum. Although bumped passengers were assigned hotel rooms, meals were not included, so they had to pay again.

Mary

Greetings from Noro-free South Beach. JVNYC, if you haven't made final payment, yes indeed. The people currently on Riviera have not received the product they bought. Oceania's compensation for the two missed day on the February cruise was the bare minimum. Although bumped passengers were assigned hotel rooms, meals were not included, so they had to pay again.

Mary

My final payment is due on Monday and I'm quite concerned....this stuff normally doesn't bother me but reading about it again and again and again. I'm less worried about actually getting noro....I'm more concerned with things being closed, missing ports and just an overall unpleasant atmosphere. But I'm hearing that noro really is a winter bug and I don't recall ever hearing about noro in the Med in the summer. Thoughts?

My final payment is due on Monday and I'm quite concerned....this stuff normally doesn't bother me but reading about it again and again and again. I'm less worried about actually getting noro....I'm more concerned with things being closed, missing ports and just an overall unpleasant atmosphere. But I'm hearing that noro really is a winter bug and I don't recall ever hearing about noro in the Med in the summer. Thoughts?

I would cancel now if you are worried because it will impact your enjoyment

You will be stressed out from now until the end of the cruise worring you will get noro

Noro is not a winter thing

It was on Marina in May -July last yr

Cancel & end the stress

Life is too short

Janecambridge is from the UK. We do not have a "cancel for any reason" insurance for travel in the UK I am afraid, so it is not possible to cancel for being fearful of something unpleasant happening. J

Janecambridge is from the UK. We do not have a "cancel for any reason" insurance for travel in the UK I am afraid, so it is not possible to cancel for being fearful of something unpleasant happening. J

Ooops - my bad.

I didn't think to notice the country.

I know things are quite different, country to country (ah, in many ways! :)).

It's a shame this isn't at least a choice others have.

We've used it in the past if DH was just too "iffy" about whether work would beckon on short notice.

Usually we didn't add that coverage.

Now? We have it for "worries".

Sad.

But as others have written, life it too short for any stress that can be avoided. It would be nice if it all could be avoided, of course.

But that's not reality.

I wouldn't cancel. There ant much noro around in the summer. We are thoroughly enjoying the Riviera now despite the code red procedures. Many people on Th cruise, like us, aren't that bothered with some of the inconveniences. But we also have some people that think that this is the cruise from Hell. If we had no power for several days, then they would be correct; but we are enjoying the ports, the food in the restaurants is great and the ship is still beautiful.

Mike - do they keep the fitness center open during code red?

I would stay clear of the Riviera until things are OK for a few months. The crew are tired from the extra work . Things can not be the same as a non noro ship. Plus you should look forward to a very expensive vacation, not be concerned.

As a disinterested outside observer, it seems you have three options:

(1) Cancel.

(2) Keep reading the board, stress out, go anyway, let the chips fall where they may.

(3) Stop reading this board, go on cruise, let chips fall where they may.

I am amazed that, while MVP in Boynton keeps observing that many cruisers are having a good time, other posters - like "Warburg" continue to assert that ALL cruisers on Riviera are being cheated and has even taken the time to survey ALL of South Beach to discover that it is completely noro-free!! Wow

Personally, I would just get off this board and take the cruise, exercising proper hygiene precautions. But then I am a "glass half full" person.

Donna

Personally, I would just get off this board and take the cruise, exercising proper hygiene precautions. But then I am a "glass half full" person.

Yes, I suppose it depends on how much you expect to find in your glass when you have paid a full price for a luxury cruise. It may seem redundant, but I expect my glass to be entirely full. I do not expect to find a frenetic environment on board with staff working 14-hour days frenetically cleaning every exposed surface. I do not expect the laundry rooms, the library, and the executive lounge (since I have paid for a penthouse), to be closed. I believe it would be foolish for JVNYC to pay a full price for a half-full experience.

And, yes, it is quite simple to check whether or not there are any reported cases of norovirus in Miami Beach.

Edited by warburg

Our June cruise on Riviera will be our 5th with Oceania. The first 4 have been outstanding and I can honestly say the only reason we still cruise is because of Oceania. I'll continue to monitor this thread, I won't be stressed and I won't be canceling anytime soon. However, if Oceania fails to solve the so called "sick ship" syndrome before June, we most likely won't be back.

I agree with Warburg. Staff is worn out. How can they be capable of providing 5 star service? That's understandable and I am sympathetic. But that is not why you or I pay Oceania's premium prices for two weeks on Riviera.

O's internal problems - tired & dejected crew, understaffing that does not provide competent & consistent service, poor communication with guests and the ongoing virus threat - are not promising ingredients for a pleasant and expensive experience.

But if you're a half-full kind of person, perhaps you should pay only one-half of the asking price. Because you are not going to receive 100% of what you paid for!

I so agree!

hi there! My husband was sick; I was not. From the responses, looks like the forms were ignored.

I am sorry. I did not know he was sick. That explains why you got the form and we did not.

Water? I don't know about that theory. We did not drink any water except bottle. We did brush our teeth from the sink, however.

We were not sick on the 2/12 cruise and did not get any forms from the CDC to fill out. Maybe if we all got forms they could pinpoint something about where people got sick. This seems to be the worst cruise of all. About 11% of the people sick. Lets find out where they went wrong.

Good point!

jdm

We were on the February 12 sailing that was cut short because of the Noro virus. We did not get sick and did not receive the CDC questionnaire. I have contacted Oceania regarding my disappointment in how the management handled the information about the cruise and, as others, have heard nothing back.

After sending my TA, a third email this morning, I have finally received a call back! :) She said that she had received my email and sent it on to Guest relations. She also said that she called me about my letter. She did not. :confused: We finally figured out that she was mixing me up with another client, from the same cruise, who sent almost the exact letter. That clients letter was sent to GL and they got a call.

As I have mentioned before, my letter was asking if our future cruise certificate could be extended until 2018, instead of 2017 because we already have cruise plans through 2017. So the TA asked if I had the certificate. I replied that we did not receive anything in the mail or by email and that I was told (by someone here on CC) that the certificate would be noted in my old reservation. While on the phone, the TA looked up the reservation and nothing was noted. :rolleyes: She did not seem to be aware of what we were given for the 2/12 inconvenience. She said the only thing listed in the file, dating after the cruise, was the refund, and a Welcome Home letter. We didn't even receive that! I told TA that and she laughed.

Anyway, the TA is sending my letter to Guest Relations with a side note. She says that if she hears back from them, she will call me and I am to do the same. If nothing after 2 weeks, I am to call her again.

Edited by Iamthesea

Investigation Update on the Oceania Riviera

Cruise Line: Oceania Cruises

Cruise Ship: Oceania Riviera

Voyage Dates: November 18 – December 2, 2015

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 74 of 1,160 (6.38%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 12 of 776 (1.55%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,

Collected stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing,

Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,

Is consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Miami, FL on December 2, 2015, including:

planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and

planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.

Three CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers will board the ship in Miami, FL on December 2, 2015 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens have been collected and tested onboard using a norovirus rapid test; results were positive for norovirus. The specimens will be sent to CDC for additional testing.

Voyage Dates: February 12-22, 2016

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 124 of 1,225 (10.12%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 773 (0.39%)

Voyage Dates: March 20 - April 3, 2016

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 98 of 1,204 (8.13%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 6 of 776 (0.77%)

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,

Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing, and

Making multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP.

CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is monitoring the outbreak and the ship’s response procedures. Specimens have been collected, tested onboard and found to be positive for norovirus. The specimens will be sent to CDC for additional testing.

The highest of the three sailing of contaminated guests was 10.12% in February. 3% is the minimum required to be reported to the CDC. 1.55% being the highest involvement of crew.

While I appreciate the severity of the continued outbreak on Riviera and am concerned since I have booked a May departure, I plan on being proactive and enjoy my vacation until, in fact, I do catch the nasty little bug. I refuse to worry about something that has yet to happen. Namaste.

Edited by hawky

We are pretty fearless travelers but if I could cancel without penalty I would. I believe there is something going on on riviera beyond the usual. I would find a replacement cruise

For my July cruise, we are within the $250 per person penalty period (for each cruise as we are doing a B2B). Perhaps they would let us move the $250 per person per cruise to something in 2017 when the new schedule comes out. I'm just so torn about this as I truly love Oceania.

According to these statistics, 90% of passengers and over 99% of the crew did not get norovirus. If you are healthy and fit, I wouldn't cancel. Perhaps get a gamma globulin booster or similar immune protection from your doctor, do not shake hands with other passengers, and take other reasonable precautions,

It would be interesting to know the average age of the passengers who came down with norovirus. We have noticed that Oceania's O ships tend to attract the very elderly, whose immune systems make them highly susceptible and then carriers. We have seen too many people who looked too infirm to be on a cruise, and too many have had to be taken off of the ship for medical reasons.

For my July cruise, we are within the $250 per person penalty period (for each cruise as we are doing a B2B). Perhaps they would let us move the $250 per person per cruise to something in 2017 when the new schedule comes out. I'm just so torn about this as I truly love Oceania.

Did you read the cancellation rules re the admin fee?

+ The Administration Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.

Look under the guest ticket contract link or on your invoice

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

Edited by LHT28

We have noticed that Oceania's O ships tend to attract the very elderly, whose immune systems make them highly susceptible and then carriers. We have seen too many people who looked too infirm to be on a cruise, and too many have had to be taken off of the ship for medical reasons.

not just on O

I think cruise lines should require a letter of fitness to travel

some people should not even leave home let alone cruise :eek:

My understanding is that the $250 fee *can* be moved to another cruise, within a year (I think).

We did that just recently (less than a year ago), and were able to apply the $250 to a cruise we had already booked.

It was very simple. TA just called and it was done.

Did you read the cancellation rules re the admin fee?

+ The Administration Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.

Look under the guest ticket contract link or on your invoice

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

Ah! Thank you for this. I'm glad to hear this!

According to these statistics, 90% of passengers and over 99% of the crew did not get norovirus. If you are healthy and fit, I wouldn't cancel. Perhaps get a gamma globulin booster or similar immune protection from your doctor, do not shake hands with other passengers, and take other reasonable precautions,

I am less concerned with getting Noro than i am about how the ship being CODE RED will affect our vacation.