Turning your partially covered balcony into a fully covered balcony

kingsgirl

I'm looking for ways to cover an uncovered mini suite balcony on Coral's Caribe deck.

Let's brain storm how you could do this.

I'm thinking of a light weight and waterproof material that can be stung from the part that is partially covered to each balcony divider with those temporary hangers meant for walls in your house that peel off when you're finished with them?

I'm trying to think of an idea for a Caribe deck mini suite situation on the Coral where it's only partially covered at best.

It's an Alaskan cruise so we'd expect it to rain.

[Previous options were other rooms at the front or aft of the ship that are covered. I expect wind and more pitch at the front and have read a few threads about vibrations in the back. Aft rooms may be too far of a walk for my Mom as well.

We're trying to solve this problem because we want the extra space the couch area provides as we often spent a lot of time in the cabin having cookies and hot chocolate and watched the scenery go by. We'd like to do that again.]

Any help or suggestions?

Edited by kingsgirl

Why not just book one of the many fully covered mini-suite balconies?

As far as the vibration issue in the aft section, I still think that you are confusing the issues with the Island that had cabins added during its dry dock and the Coral that DID NOT have those changes made during its dry dock. You seem obsessed with the Island issues that are NOT the issues with the Coral.

From our experience, get a walker for your mom. We did for mine and it made a world of difference for her. Just sayin'.

P.S. If it is Alaska, take an umbrella, you will probably need it (sun or rain?)........:D

Edited by ar1950

I'm willing to bet that it will be forbidden by Princess.

My husband has mobility issues. An aft cabin is usually fantastic as we have traditional dining. It's a short walk to the dining room! As for motion sickness, take some bonine if you're that sensitive. However, seas in Alaska are usually smooth.

Given that they caution you not to put clothes out on the balcony to dry I can't imagine that adding a tarp would be allowed! I do give the OP credit for imagination - usually when this question comes up someone is suggesting using a beach umbrella.:D

Look into changing cabins is what I would do. We were on the coral in January and they were offering upsells from balcony to Minisuites, but all that was left were the uncovered ones, no surprise. We did not do the upsell.

I'm not sure if your question is tongue in cheek or not, but I am sure Princess won't allow you to string anything up on the balcony.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We went to Alaska in June of 2013 and it was hot with no rain... Maybe you will need the cover for sun! Hope you have fun!

You must of been on the cruise right before or after ours. The one before everyone was mad they didn't bring enough pairs of shorts. Ours we could barely stay on the covered balcony due to the cold and rain. :)

For OP: Don't try to add or alter things on your balcony. You will likely get a loud talking to or even kicked off the ship.

We are huge balcony lovers and like to spend as much time out there as possible but on some west coast, LA to Vancouver and reverse it can just be too cold or windy.

We bring the chairs in from the balcony and face them out towards the balcony so we are actually sitting inside but can still enjoy the view. If it's not raining we open the door so you are not looking through glass. (I know it messes with the temperature). We'd much rather be on the balcony but sometimes you just need to get creative.

This post is a wind up isn't it ?

Maybe, but I don't think so. OP might want to read the thread on the Star fire. After that incident, Princess put in place some new policies about what guests can or cannot do on balconies.

To be clear, NOTHING is allowed to be attached to a balcony nor remain unattended on a Balcony for fire and wind reasons. You cannot hang flags nor have umbrellas, etc except for ones you actively hold. Leaving a towel out to dry is not allowed in case it blows into the ocean (this of course is not heavily enforced but it IS the rule.

If you want shade, only way is to change cabins.

Here is a link to the thread on cruise critic talking about aft vibrations.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=340581

I'm just trying to be careful about it because I don't want it to ruin the cruise that will be very expensive for us.

I am a bit hurt that you think that by researching old threads is considered being "obsessed".

Why not just book one of the many fully covered mini-suite balconies?

As far as the vibration issue in the aft section, I still think that you are confusing the issues with the Island that had cabins added during its dry dock and the Coral that DID NOT have those changes made during its dry dock. You seem obsessed with the Island issues that are NOT the issues with the Coral.

From our experience, get a walker for your mom. We did for mine and it made a world of difference for her. Just sayin'.

P.S. If it is Alaska, take an umbrella, you will probably need it (sun or rain?)........:D

And of course, everyone is missing the most important reason of all , not to do it ........ it will greatly mess up all the folks on Baja deck who want to look down into your balcony ! :D

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

We bring the chairs in from the balcony and face them out towards the balcony so we are actually sitting inside but can still enjoy the view. If it's not raining we open the door so you are not looking through glass. (I know it messes with the temperature). We'd much rather be on the balcony but sometimes you just need to get creative.

GREAT IDEA! [emoji4]

This post is a wind up isn't it ?

I promise you it wasn't.