Terrorism

ubsueg

We were booked on Tauck Amsterdam-Brussels in mid-September. Given the tensions in Europe this year, we decided other travel options were best for us. We spent significant $$$ cancelling Tauck and booking a December Regent cruise from Dubai to Singapore. My principal worry: a riverboat is so vulnerable, an easy natural target for a terrorist. The likelihood that I would be on the riverboat attacked is of course extremely small. But I am very happy to have put that concern aside. The Tauck trip will happen!!! But at a better time!

We were booked on Tauck Amsterdam-Brussels in mid-September. Given the tensions in Europe this year, we decided other travel options were best for us. We spent significant $$$ cancelling Tauck and booking a December Regent cruise from Dubai to Singapore. My principal worry: a riverboat is so vulnerable, an easy natural target for a terrorist. The likelihood that I would be on the riverboat attacked is of course extremely small. But I am very happy to have put that concern aside. The Tauck trip will happen!!! But at a better time!

Any soft target is vulnerable. Last time I checked Dubai also has a high likelihood of terrorism. (UK.gov travel advisories).

We have no intention of letting the bad guys win! No changes for us....

But I think I'd rather go to Europe vs the Middle East! So glad I got to see Istanbul:)

Also very glad to have been to Istanbul twice and Cappadoccia once.

In Detroit now, getting ready to board our flight to Amsterdam. We'll try to stay safe and everybody else try to do the same.

We left Scotland on 17/12/15 and took a Canaries/Cape Verde Islands cruise over Xmas & New Year (disappointing because of cruise company's continual cancellations/changes - enjoyed the holiday we had but it was not the one we booked!). Returned to Southampton 5th January 2016 and drove due east to Newhaven where we jumped on the Newhaven-Dieppe cross channel ferry, arriving at our French hovel on 6th January. Spent over 9 weeks pootling around (lots of trips to DIY stores to get the house refurb underway again) and drove back up through France on 11th March to take the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. Drove to London, Tilbury dock on 12th March to take the CMV Magellan Canaries Cruise (to visit the ports that the Xmas/New Year cruise missed) and returned to London on 26th March. Drove back up to Scotland. All without incident - but the security checks at the port took a little longer (I find that offering to show the Customs Officer photos of my DIY project usually speeds up the clearance process ...).

Never once did I worry about terrorists or other extremists. I did worry about the decreasing Bank balance but I'm sure that the Bank Manager's blood pressure will reduce eventually. But not in the forseeable future - we're off on 17th April 2016 to the Norwegian Fjords on the Magellan again - woohoo! :eek:

Our former neighbours used to refer to these jaunts as 'SKI' trips (spending the kids' inheritance) - we can recommend it! 72 Virgins in the after life or another cruise with fine dining in less than 2 weeks? We'll go for the cruise, thank you very much - and if anything untoward does happen, I hope it occurs the day before the credit card bill is sent to us :rolleyes:

Edited by marchie1053

We left Scotland on 17/12/15 and took a Canaries/Cape Verde Islands cruise over Xmas & New Year (disappointing because of cruise company's continual cancellations/changes - enjoyed the holiday we had but it was not the one we booked!). Returned to Southampton 5th January 2016 and drove due east to Newhaven where we jumped on the Newhaven-Dieppe cross channel ferry, arriving at our French hovel on 6th January. Spent over 9 weeks pootling around (lots of trips to DIY stores to get the house refurb underway again) and drove back up through France on 11th March to take the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. Drove to London, Tilbury dock on 12th March to take the CMV Magellan Canaries Cruise (to visit the ports that the Xmas/New Year cruise missed) and returned to London on 26th March. Drove back up to Scotland. All without incident - but the security checks at the port took a little longer (I find that offering to show the Customs Officer photos of my DIY project usually speeds up the clearance process ...).

Never once did I worry about terrorists or other extremists. I did worry about the decreasing Bank balance but I'm sure that the Bank Manager's blood pressure will reduce eventually. But not in the forseeable future - we're off on 17th April 2016 to the Norwegian Fjords on the Magellan again - woohoo! :eek:

Our former neighbours used to refer to these jaunts as 'SKI' trips (spending the kids' inheritance) - we can recommend it! 72 Virgins in the after life or another cruise with fine dining in less than 2 weeks? We'll go for the cruise, thank you very much - and if anything untoward does happen, I hope it occurs the day before the credit card bill is sent to us :rolleyes:

Love that "SKI" acronym, as well as your attitude!! No kids, but we are spending our dogs (and nieces) inheritance!!

No changes to our itinerary! Only "precaution" we're taking is getting our Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advance Medical Directives updated and tucked away safely and making sure family knows where they are....just in case..

We will be traveling in Europe in September. By all means keep traveling

That said I would like to see river cruise companies take a little proactive action on improving their security. On the river cruises I have been on in Europe there is absolutely nothing that would prevent someone from running onto a docked boat (at most someone at reception might question them, good enough for stopping a thief but not so for someone more violently inclined). At a minimum they should have a mechanism for locking the gate for access (many of the docks have a gate that is locked when the dock is not in use, then blocked open when the boat is docked).

If a river boat was to be attacked, they could easily run on board and block the only escape route.

If on the other hand the gate was locked opened only for passengers (by someone inside the gate or electronic locked activated from the boat), it would greatly increase security by denying fast and easy access and eliminate much of the attractiveness of river boats as a potential target. Not that it could not be gotten around with enough effort, but it would increase complexity enough to have them chose a different target.

Not saying it is likely, but a simple change in process could pretty much eliminate much of the risk. This was pointed out to me by a friend of mine that prior to retirement trained Navy anti terrorist response teams.

Edited by RDC1

We will be traveling in Europe in September. By all means keep traveling

That said I would like to see river cruise companies take a little proactive action on improving their security. On the river cruises I have been on in Europe there is absolutely nothing that would prevent someone from running onto a docked boat (at most someone at reception might question them, good enough for stopping a thief but not so for someone more violently inclined). At a minimum they should have a mechanism for locking the gate for access (many of the docks have a gate that is locked when the dock is not in use, then blocked open when the boat is docked).

If a river boat was to be attacked, they could easily run on board and block the only escape route.

If on the other hand the gate was locked opened only for passengers (by someone inside the gate or electronic locked activated from the boat), it would greatly increase security by denying fast and easy access and eliminate much of the attractiveness of river boats as a potential target. Not that it could not be gotten around with enough effort, but it would increase complexity enough to have them chose a different target.

Not saying it is likely, but a simple change in process could pretty much eliminate much of the risk. This was pointed out to me by a friend of mine that prior to retirement trained Navy anti terrorist response teams.

It all comes down to a question of probabilities/risk management. A determined attacker could probably get close enough to gain access (e.g. by pushing a handgun in the face of the dock gate security guard and then using him/her as a human shield) to any vessel and then the real problems begin. Or, if you are a terrorist, why not just wait until you are in the middle of the embarkation check in queue/line and then press the button?

You will have seen the comments/moans about 'my vacation was ruined/spoiled/delayed by ...' etc and I guess that the security staff are expected to play the lightest of touches to avoid upsetting the paying guests.

Let us all hope that the nutters pursue other targets and leave decent folk alone to enjoy their (presumably - at least from the perspective of the latest model of terrorist -) decadent lifestyles of cruise holidays.

Next year I shall be 21 for the third time - I don't have enough time left to waste any by wondering if someone might try to please his/her imaginary friend by killing me off. I intend to travel and accept I face greater risks from the afternoon tea and pastries cholesterol than I do from a terrorist attack.

I would hate to see security set so tight you wouldn't enjoy your trip. When I was in public school, we had soldiers stationed in the hallways (yep, in Canada) at our school. We were young enough not to care, but thinking now if they were like that in my G-kids schools, I would worry about the safety of kids. I look on river cruises as being safer...after all, they want to hit big, so a larger boat would have a greater result. I guess you have to be comfortable with whatever safety you perceive is available. I'm more worried about the planes crashing (DH loves to watch the shows telling why they do) than terrorism.... but that could change in the coming years.

On the Seine trip we are now on on there have not been any places we have been docked that could be secured in the manner PP proposes. In all we have been tied up to a riverbank, in a relatively public area; no dock with a gate.

If I were going to attack a river cruise, the last of my tactics would involve boarding the ship. Lots of other ways to make the hit.

I spent years riding the NYC subways and trains when my biggest concern was getting groped....now I avoid the subway because the fear of being trapped underground is very real for me...having said that the only time I was told to evacuate a subway station was in London during the "troubles"! I love Europe, I love flying and I am not changing any of my plans....tragedy and terrorism can strike any time, anywhere, including my neighborhood supermarket...keep your eyes open...know where you are, where you're going, how to get there and have a good time while you can.

I hope cc closes down this discussion as it almost gives someone a blueprint to cause problems. I suggest that any concerns should be send directly to the cruise lines pax are using and not on a public forum.

I spent years riding the NYC subways and trains when my biggest concern was getting groped....now I avoid the subway because the fear of being trapped underground is very real for me...having said that the only time I was told to evacuate a subway station was in London during the "troubles"! I love Europe, I love flying and I am not changing any of my plans....tragedy and terrorism can strike any time, anywhere, including my neighborhood supermarket...keep your eyes open...know where you are, where you're going, how to get there and have a good time while you can.

Bravo & so true.. Be aware, be alert but do not be afraid. Doing our 1st river cruise in a few weeks and can't wait.

Carole

Where are you going Carole? I've done a few, if you have any questions. :)

AMA Spain & Provence with 4 days (on our own in Paris) this is our 1st river cruise. Its a total surprise for DH's 65th. Any hints/suggestions appreciated

Thx

Carole

Hello CaroleLee,

as you are hoping for suggestions to your specific itinerary may I suggest that it might be better to start a thread. And you are very welcome to give us a hint as to any special subject your husband might be interested in. :) Perhaps someone "knows this amazing place" or suggests "do not miss this"...

Would like to know myself where you start off in Spain.

notamermaid

AMA Spain & Provence with 4 days (on our own in Paris) this is our 1st river cruise. Its a total surprise for DH's 65th. Any hints/suggestions appreciated

Thx

Carole

Carole,

You might also be interested in one of the roll calls. There is one titled All AMA Provence Roll Call that might be of particular help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190286&highlight=ama

Thx

Carole

Can't help you there....I've been trying but haven't made it to Spain yet! I'm assuming your DH is like mine and would eat nails before he'd go on line to CC!!

Hello CaroleLee,

as you are hoping for suggestions to your specific itinerary may I suggest that it might be better to start a thread. And you are very welcome to give us a hint as to any special subject your husband might be interested in. :) Perhaps someone "knows this amazing place" or suggests "do not miss this"...

Would like to know myself where you start off in Spain.

notamermaid

Good advice from notamermaid and also from dog lover. A separate link will help you more with where to go and what to see.

Can't help you there....I've been trying but haven't made it to Spain yet! I'm assuming your DH is like mine and would eat nails before he'd go on line to CC!!

Good advice from notamermaid and also from dog lover. A separate link will help you more with where to go and what to see.

Thx to all. Staring our trip in Barcelona- have been there previously but am always on the lookout for a dinner spot. Ending in Paris. This will be our 2nd trip to Paris and my 15th. I used to go to Paris in the Fall. Question for the fashion squad. My river cruise wardrobe is tailored pants and tops. I have a LBD short sleeved that I love -and looks good on me- so is black in July Ok for dinner in Paris? Going to bistros and small restaurants- nothing ***.

Carole

My river cruise wardrobe is tailored pants and tops. I have a LBD short sleeved that I love -and looks good on me- so is black in July Ok for dinner in Paris? Going to bistros and small restaurants- nothing ***.

Carole

Absolutely! Black is always appropriate, especially an LBD. Add a scarf for that Parisian flair;).

Have a wonderful trip!

Thx to all. Staring our trip in Barcelona- have been there previously but am always on the lookout for a dinner spot. Ending in Paris. This will be our 2nd trip to Paris and my 15th. I used to go to Paris in the Fall. Question for the fashion squad. My river cruise wardrobe is tailored pants and tops. I have a LBD short sleeved that I love -and looks good on me- so is black in July Ok for dinner in Paris? Going to bistros and small restaurants- nothing ***.

Carole

I think LBD is always in style in Paris!! I agree with caviargal....a pretty scarf...especially one you buy in Paris...will just be smashing!!! Ooh la la!!