Should we take a direct flight and arrive the day of the cruise?? Europe ...

We are booked to cruise out of Barcelona in June. To avoid getting lost and dealing with hotels, etc. we were thinking about arriving in the morning of the cruise. The cruise ship leaves at 6 pm, our flight would arrive at 11 am.

Has anyone else done this, I'm afraid something will go wrong and we will miss the cruise. What do you think?

Thank you for your help!!

Strongly recommend you arrive at least a day early, and more if you can swing it. You may only have a choice of one flight a day with your airline, and if there's a problem, you may be out of luck.

Also, Barcelona is a wonderful city to spend time in. I'd consider it part of your vacation to go early and enjoy the city.

Edited by clarea

I would never fly to the departure port on the day the cruise leaves. Leave the day before and spend one night in a hotel in Barcelona. Get over jetlag, have a nice breakfast and get to the port relaxed and ready to enjoy your cruise vacation. It's not worth the stress of flying on the day of and possibly missing the ship.

While delays are the exception, they do happen. Most would not plan to arrive day of a sailing in Europe, but many do. Usually, even though your ship may depart at 6 PM, most lines have an embarkation time of 3:30 PM or so. This is to allow passengers time to prepare for the mandatory safety drill prior to sailing.

The one good thing about European sailings is that there are often good options to get to your next port and reach the ship for delayed embarkation.

While the overnight does offer expense and extra time allowed, it is highly recommended.

Edited by MADflyer

I would not arrive the day of the cruise for several reasons:

-If the flight is delayed or worse yet cancelled you might miss the ship.

-If luggage goes astray there is no time to find it in time.

-You will likely be jet lagged and that is not a good way to begin a port intensive cruise.

I would arrive at least one day prior to the cruise and even earlier if you can do that.

Keith

I agree with everyone that you should get to Barcelona at least one day before the cruise. We are going June 26th, 2016 and we are arriving 2 day before to just to the jet lag and sightsee.

There are always unknown factors that can occur to cause you to get to the port late and as some others have said not worth the stress.

I second that jet lag is real. I arrived a day early in Barcelona and slept most of the day due to jet lag. I got up for dinner and fell back asleep pretty quickly. The next day I was well rested and ready to conquer Barcelona.

As already mentioned Mediterranean cruises have a lot of ports. If you miss the ship you can board at another port. However, you are responsible financially for getting to the next port unless you have travel insurance.

On the topic of jet lag, if possible, I typically try to book an overnight flight that lands early in the morning of my arrival city. I take a sleeping pill as soon as the final leg of the flight begins, put on noise cancelling headphones, a sleeping mask, and arrive refreshed in my arrival city's timeframe.

As others have stated, I'd arrive at least one day before...if there are any delays at all, you will miss embarkation. Too stressful!

Have a great trip!

We are booked to cruise out of Barcelona in June. To avoid getting lost and dealing with hotels, etc. we were thinking about arriving in the morning of the cruise. The cruise ship leaves at 6 pm, our flight would arrive at 11 am.

Has anyone else done this, I'm afraid something will go wrong and we will miss the cruise. What do you think?

Honestly, I would do it if it was not in Barcelona, or any other really nice place to visit. There is always risk with airlines etc, and if you are comfortable with the risk, than it's fine. It sounds like you are not comfortable with it, so why do it?

But why would you not want to enjoy an evening in Barcelona?

I have no issue with jet lag, it's only 5 hours difference, plus I just got off a plane where I was sleeping!

OP, I agree with all the others. Not a way I would want to start a European cruise stressing as to whether I will make the ship in time. Barcelona is a beautiful city. Take that same flight the day before, check into a hotel to drop your luggage then spend the afternoon riding the hop on hop off buses. You get to see some of the city with a narrative of what you are seeing. It keeps you awake throughout the day to help with the jet lag. And no stress worrying about flight delays. :)

So everyone seems to agree a day early at least. I would agree. Barcelona is so beautiful and would add a lot to the experience. I say go a few days early and enjoy. City architecture is unusual because of Dali so you should definitely check it out. You won't regret it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not in the "no way" camp that most people are. Arriving the morning of is not that bad, and if it's a direct flight, with no connections, then the chances of not making it are lessened. Of course, it's still possible that something could cancel the flight or delay it enough to miss the ship. There is some risk, but not all that high.

That said, I'd personally lean more toward arriving a day before to adjust to the time zone and maybe enjoy a little of the departure city.

What's your originating airport?

We cruised out of Barcelona several years ago. Got to the airport and our flight through Newark was cancelled close to departure time. No problem - they got us on another flight through Paris. Great. Long first leg and sleep!

We arrived and our luggage went via various routes. Some went through Newark, some went through London and some went with us through Paris. So we had parts of our luggage that day and the others followed. We had enough of the right stuff to enjoy the city. We were sooo happy we chose to fly in several days before the departure date.

After that experience - my husband never questions arriving early. It's just part of the vacation. I'll second that Barcelona is fabulous. Enjoy the city. It's amazing!!

Thank you everyone, I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed by everything, first time in Europe and I was trying to simplify it, but you are right that would have been way too stressful.

Now stressing about the travel ban ...

Just to add another point. We live 15 mins away from our local airport where it takes less than 2 hours to fly to Barcelona - and there are several flights a day. In theory it should be a cinch to fly in on the day, but we still always fly in one day early.

Apart from jet lag, flight delays, mislaid baggage etc, another factor to take into account are strikes - air traffic controllers, by baggage handlers etc. Although these are rare, they do occur and nothing can be done if your flight is affected.

Fly in a day early and enjoy a little of this amazing city. There are bargain hotels to be had and the little extra price is worth it for peace of mind.

The only exception we make is on the rare occasion where we book our flights with RC as they will ensure you get to your next destination if you miss the ship sailing.

Edited by Bobal