If u could only do 1 specialty dining on allure for dinner

Going against the flow here. Izumi was our favorite on our recent Allure cruise. We ate at Chops on the first night and it was also excellent with outstanding service. We had such a poor experience with Giovanni's on the Oasis that we skipped it on the Allure.

Which one? We normally do chops but thinking maybe there is something better/more unique?

I am Mexican food obsessed so for sure I'm having lunch one day at Sabor? Is it

Yes, Sabor is worth it! Check out the dinning packages you can save some money.

So subjective. Always always do Giovanni's for lunch on embarkation, then Chef's Table and Chops. If you have more OBC, then do 150 Central Park and spend a sea day afternoon at Sabor with the guacamole and margaritas. Don't limit yourself, it's vacation.

Just booked through Royal TA & assigned Cabin 9217 with Central Park view. In checking the Deck Plan, this cabin is located next to an empty space. Do you know what this is used for? Has anyone stayed there?

We like a quiet cabin in a quiet area of the ship. And, good view of Central Park. Any recommendations?

150 Central Park - partly because the food and ambience is amazing and partly because you can only eat there on OA class whereas all the others are available on other ship.s

For the record we have eaten at Giovannis on many RC ships and our experience on Allure was by far the worst.

Giovanni's for me too.

Chops was definitely not worth the extra cost when I went last month. Giovanni's was so much better.

I see you mentioned Sabor. It's a great lunch place, but I wouldn't go for dinner.

We plan to go to Giovanni's and Sabor. Why do you say not for dinner, but lunch? What's the difference? Cost or ?

What's the going rate now in Chops? Do they, or any of the restaurants on the ship, offer prime grade aged beef?

Just trying to compare with my favorite specialty restaurant at sea (Carnival Steakhouse) which is $35 pp, offers the aforementioned beef, and gives 50% off bottles of wine the first night (or two). Since we often eat in there each evening, I go ahead and purchase a few bottles for the week on the first night, and often save a couple hundred+ :)

THANKS,

Tom

What's the going rate now in Chops? Do they, or any of the restaurants on the ship, offer prime grade aged beef?

Just trying to compare with my favorite specialty restaurant at sea (Carnival Steakhouse) which is $35 pp, offers the aforementioned beef, and gives 50% off bottles of wine the first night (or two). Since we often eat in there each evening, I go ahead and purchase a few bottles for the week on the first night, and often save a couple hundred+ :)

THANKS,

Tom

The price seems to vary by ship. I think most ships are at $35, but I've seen some reports of $39, and higher during a holiday cruise. They do have some dry aged steaks available for extra cost, something like $17 over the cover.

We just got off last week and did no dining room/buffet. We did the following specialties:

Coastal Kitchen - A must do for suites.

Sabor - I was surprised at how good/reasonable the food was. Seems to me 2 to the $5 plates was enough for dinner. We went back for lunch and just had the margaritas/guac. Service was excellent.

Samba - Service was awful. It took over 2 hours and we didn't stay for desert. We never went into red-side of the coin. The cuts of meat were mostly excellent and we might do again, but it is not a must do.

Chops - Our steak took 30 minutes and was ordered well-done. Parts of it were rare. They offered to re-cook it but we didn't want to wait, so passed on the offer. I would have expected the manager to make an appearance but never saw him. In my opinion to provide that steak and call yourself a steak house is an embarrassment. At $39 per person, I don't think it's worth it anymore.

Johnny Rockets - No surprise here. A must do at least once a trip. Damn them for filling you up on fries and onion rings. It's tough to get through more than one double burger.

Izumi Hibachi - This was a great show. The food was really good and the service was good. At the same price as Chops (35/40 for two meats). I would easily choose this again.

If we had to choose between Izumi, Chops, and Giovanni's (which we did last time, but not this time), it would be Izumi hands down. Johnny Rockets and Sabor are in a cheaper category.

• 2 weeks later...

On Allure now, we have done the Izumi Hibachi, Sabor, and Samba so far. Tonight we are doing Giovanni's. The Hibachi was almost inedible due to the salt content. It was a huge disappointment as we did it on Oasis last year and it was good. I am sure it varies by the chef, but I would never take the chance again for the cost. Sabor was mostly good (chicken tacos bland, chicken quesadillas excellent), but the service was really bad. There was a large group and they seemed to get all the attention....my water glass was always empty and it took forever to get the check at the end of the meal (like 25 minutes). I though Samba was very nice. The meat was all really good (with the exception of the sausage that I did not care for) and they did a good job bringing it around. The only issue at Samba is that it can get very warm inside.

Honestly....next cruise we are going back to the dining room because I really don't feel the food quality is worth the upcharge in the specialty restaurants.

Just my opinion.