Packing Jewelry

When I want to bring more things, like on longer cruises I use this. It's only 5x5 but holds a lot. I put it in my carry on.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/navy-aqua-tile-in.bag-large-jewelry-organizer/d?productId=11003241&q=travel%20jewelry

I also have an ebags jewerly holder type thing that works well for less bulky items, but I think they stopped making it.

I make most of my own jewelry that I travel with, so I make bracelets and pendants to match each outfit, I then wear the one chain I take and use a Vera Bradley jewelry case for packing. I also use a pill case for earrings.

I've been using the following method for a few years now, and I love it!!! I use a thin, microfiber towel so it's not so bulky. That was suggested by someone on the thread, and it's genius!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrOxzIM6xEtX7ZwcusvpmQT7Pj0Md6lHJNYtg5amg-K4VE6UJX

towel roll

This looks like a great idea!!

I roll my clothes to pack, so may incorporate my necklaces some way with what I already roll up.

Thanks Robin7

I used to use a jewelry roll, but it was a pain to use. The last couple of trips I used a plastic container from Michaels. Basically, it's got multiple compartments and was made for beads. A couple of the compartments have popped open a few times so I was looking for something else easy to use. I ordered a Vera Bradley travel jewelry organizer from Amazon that was supposed to be delivered today by USPS. The status said delivered, but I didn't get it. If it doesn't come tomorrow, I'm going to harass Amazon. USPS is terrible about delivering on time, but they usually don't say it's been delivered if it hasn't. I've decided there is no perfect system, but I keep looking so I can take my jewelry.

I have tried many ways but since I never know in advance what I will want to wear and have tiny things like belly rings and huge statement necklaces..

I now use the little organza bags to separate and throw em all in a big pouch to pack.

I buy those little dollar store folding drawer organizers[bins]...they look like fabric covered boxes.

when unpacking i open the bins and use one for jewelry...one for sun,reading glasses ect...one for makeup

they weigh nothing, pack nicely and i always find a spot to put them.

this is what they look like...but they are also a buck in the dollar store.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Foldable-Storage-Dresser-Organizer/dp/B011M5TQZ6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3CB9WM8DJ65SR

but, while searching for a link I just found these which I am buying now.

never used em but they look like a bargain that should work great especially for sorting makeup.:)

http://www.amazon.com/LELU-16-pocket-Foldable-Organizer-Callapsible/dp/B016ZQCZKU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A6DICSN4GBKUG

I have tried many ways but since I never know in advance what I will want to wear and have tiny things like belly rings and huge statement necklaces..

I now use the little organza bags to separate and throw em all in a big pouch to pack.

I buy those little dollar store folding drawer organizers[bins]...they look like fabric covered boxes.

when unpacking i open the bins and use one for jewelry...one for sun,reading glasses ect...one for makeup

they weigh nothing, pack nicely and i always find a spot to put them.

this is what they look like...but they are also a buck in the dollar store.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Foldable-Storage-Dresser-Organizer/dp/B011M5TQZ6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3CB9WM8DJ65SR

but, while searching for a link I just found these which I am buying now.

never used em but they look like a bargain that should work great especially for sorting makeup.:)

http://www.amazon.com/LELU-16-pocket-Foldable-Organizer-Callapsible/dp/B016ZQCZKU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A6DICSN4GBKUG

Our local 99c and Dollar Tree stores have similar bins. Also saw lots of things at IKEA last week.

theviviennefiles.com is showing today how she packs her jewelry. Necklaces and bracelets in organza bags, earrings stuck thru a postcard, all put into a pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Depending on size, jewelry for each day's outfit goes in either a sandwich-sized or quart-sized ziploc bag. Each bag can be attached to the outfit's hanger when hung in the closet.

Punch a hole and attach several post-type earring sets on a single business card to keep them organized. All jewelry travels in my evening clutch. My makeup travels in another evening clutch. Even my suitcase organizers do double duty when possible. --Debbie

I love these ideas!!!!

I just noticed this one.

I have the same little gadget and I love it.

but, you should be able to get one for 10 bucks when the cruise ships have the 10 dollar sales. I know almost all Norwegian and carnivals have them and that is where i bought mine.

although...depending on the ship..they can sell out fast.

I use:

-10x3 inch strips of bubble wrap

-Vertical snack-sized zip-lock bags (from CVS)

-4x4x2 inch hard plastic container

I keep the bubble wrap which my costume jewelry comes in when I shop online and cut it into strips. I wrap the chain around the bubble wrap once along its width and then fold over a 2 inch section the bubble wrap. Then I repeat until the bubble wrap containing the necklace is about 2x3 inches in size. I stick the folded bubble wrap in the snack-sized zip-lock bag.

Since the plastic container I use is so small, I then fold the zip-lock bag in half (possible because of the vertical orientation of the bags I use) before placing it in the plastic container. I can stack 2-3 thin chain necklaces this way. I then stick the plastic container in one of my make-up bags or evening clutch (if I'm packing one). Voila! No tangles.

Edited by midlevel_curator

I am flying out tomorrow and finished my packing (jewelry too;))....

I am going on my first River Cruise:D....just have to get through the

work day today:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am taking a silver neckwire and a leather one too.....I am taking

4 or 5 different pendants that slide onto them. I am taking about 6

pairs of earrings (small and easy to pack:)) and 4 watches. These items

will all fit in my smaller size jewelry organizer and actually they are all

in there now:D

I fly to Amsterdam tomorrow and my cruise is on Thursday:) all my

clothing is packed too.

Anyway, I am taking a silver neckwire and a leather one too.....I am taking

4 or 5 different pendants that slide onto them. I am taking about 6

pairs of earrings (small and easy to pack:)) and 4 watches. These items

will all fit in my smaller size jewelry organizer and actually they are all

in there now

clothing is packed too.

Just wanted to say have fun Lois! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

I am flying out tomorrow and finished my packing (jewelry too;))... I am going on my first River Cruise:D....just have to get through the work day today:rolleyes:.

Ooo Lois, nice! That is on my hubby's bucket list - me, not really so much but I know you will love it and convince me I need to go on one! LOL

~

My jewelry goes in a 14 day pill organizer. The past few cruises, I find I have taken some earrings and bracelets that I have not worn - why, I don't know... at home, I think "That will look so cute!" and on the ship I'm like "Why did I bring so much stuff?? (hehe). I take a few bracelets, a couple of cocktail rings, and some sparkly stuff for Formal Night. But it's the pill organizer that keeps the earrings neat and sweet. :)

0e8e4d0104e1dd49d687a0f8364d0f7e.jpg

I use this hanging organizer. Has zippers so nothing falls out, holds lots of jewelry options and all is clearly visible. Packs flat and doesn't take up much room. It's a perfect solution for me

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

clothing is packed too.

I know you're already gone, but Bon Voyage anyway :)

Hope you have a wonderful time.

I have something like this - works great - lots of zippered compartments - clear so you can see what is inside and folds up (velcro) and goes in my carryon!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/86/2a/ca862a7e06e617f1256f7ee8adcaff8a.jpg

Me too......best thing I have ever bought besides my battery operated night lite:o

• 5 months later...

I was wondering, do you have a special way of traveling with multi-strand graduated necklaces? I have several that always seem to get tangled within themselves. It is the type with about eight very thin strands of stiff wire and small beads.

tmee

This was a suggestion put forth a few months ago. I tried it on my last cruise and was pretty happy with it. In the future, however, I would put each necklace in separate pieces of plastic wrap. (then you don't have to unpeal a number of others to get to the one in the middle)

Another option: Lay down one piece of Press-and-Store plastic wrap. Cover it with another. This creates a little "pocket" for each item.

Thank you, I was reading that, but I was wondering the pieces did stay in place and not bend? If so that would be great! I have on particular necklace that I have been sitting here trying to untangle for the past hour from the last time I tried to travel with it :D

tmee

OH, I just thought about it. I could put something stiff behind it so that it doesn't move. Then attach the plastic wrap surround piece to the stiff card, board... or something so it would not bend!

I love this board so helpful :)

tmee

Edited by tmee
HAD A BRIGHT IDEA!!

I use a silk jewelry holder that rolls up and ties. It has one large compartment and lots of small ones. I bought it a garage sale for 25 cents!

For necklaces that tangle with thin chains (also some bracelets) I use the very small zip lock bags that I buy at our local craft store. For larger necklaces I use either snack size bags or they just go in the large compartment.

I also used to use the tiny bags for earrings but now my pierced holes have closed up! Boo.

There is plenty of room for bracelets, rings and other pieces in the small zippered compartments. I like this roll because I can either roll it up and tuck it away or lay it flat; it takes very little space even though I bring a lot of costume jewelry and my few 'good' pieces. I keep it in the safe.

Two things I have used with great success - found this plastic 'box' with dividers at the dollar store (hot pink) with cover - it was perfect for small earrings bracelets, etc. something like this (however it is pretty 'cheap' and I can see it breaking/not closing, etc.: HTB1J1XaFVXXXXXyXXXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg

My newest favorite is a 'hanging' divided jewellery holder - it folds up or lays flat (seems you can hang it up - but I don't) - has clear windows and zippered compartments so you can see everything and nothig falls out or gets tangled.... ml1KgCBQNiNib_mnu9P7Iaw.jpg

I also have a small round 'box' with a snap cover where I keep my various watches... (something like this but mine does not have a zipper!) Joy%2BTravel%2BJewelry%2BCase.jpg

Edited by Froufie

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not a novice cruiser or traveler for that matter.

BUT, I struggle with finding a solution for packing jewelry. Necklaces get tangled, mixed together, etc I've tried using straws, but no. :rolleyes:

How do you travel with your jewelry?

I have small plastic bags that seal and are about 1 x 2 or 2 x2 in size (I get like 100 for $1.00 at Walmart) for my chains and pendants (I have not had any trouble with tangling). The larger pendants I wrap in a small velvet pouch. I have a cloth case for my bracelets that keep them separated (this ties on the outside) and a jewelry box with a ring holder and several square spaces for more rings and it has a larger square for more bracelets and a pouch on the lid. These stay inside my purse and I put them in the room safe immediately when I arrive.

San :)