LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

You and I will very likely meet often! I love gelato and, like you, especially when in Venice I am sure to have a minimum of 2 gelato a day.

Gloria

We will become regulars at this "bar" and they will know our names. The best gelato I ever had was in Florence. Our guide told us he would take us to the best one in Italy and he was right. When we got there, there was a huge line-up outside and he took us through the back door as he knew the owner. I had three scoops!

The best gelato I ever had was in Florence. Our guide told us he would take us to the best one in Italy and he was right. When we got there, there was a huge line-up outside and he took us through the back door as he knew the owner. I had three scoops!

Wouldn't be surprised if gelateria was Vivoli (http://vivoli.it/) - I can still taste it!

LAFFNVegas, is there more to this site than the pillars in your pictures and the starting blocks I've seen in others? I ask because I'm going in July. If it's a not to be missed site, I'd go. But if it's just some pillars I wonder about traipsing out there in the heat. I'm heat-hardy so it's not a health issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is also a wonderful museum and the soul of the event haunts every part of the site. Plus watching how many people today still line up to run the course.

But, yes it is a "pile of rocks". You do have to go into your imagination to fully appreciate this site. And it was hot. That is where our Greek guide told us a wet scarf covering the back of the neck was her way to beat the heat.

Totally agree. You would think that HAL would realize that its demographic is older folks, most of whom don't carry and are not glued to phones or tablets....

I agree, but the demographic HAL wants is younger, newer to cruising. Those spend more, have kids (who bring in even more money) and appear to want to use their phones for everything.

I don't want to have to take a phone on a cruise to have full information of what is happening on the ship and on shore.

HAL may find they have a lot of pax at the Front Desk asking questions. They should consider having a full daily program printed and available for pick-up at the Front Desk for those who want it. This would be a reasonable solution at minimal cost.

LAFFNVegas, is there more to this site than the pillars in your pictures and the starting blocks I've seen in others? I ask because I'm going in July. If it's a not to be missed site, I'd go. But if it's just some pillars I wonder about traipsing out there in the heat. I'm heat-hardy so it's not a health issue.

It's the birthplace of the Olympics. Yes, it is mostly pillars and ruins, like many other sites in Greece. I wanted to see where they light the fire for the Olympic torch and just get a sense of the place. Do I need to go back? No, probably not. But I'm glad I went to see it. And the museum there is very nice.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I'm loving this thread, Lisa -- thank you so much. Maybe I missed it, but have you had a chance to check out the promenade deck? We love to walk laps around the deck so I'm curious about how narrow it is in some places.

Another cat lover here. It seems that half my Med photos are ancient ruins and the other half cats. :D You need to go to Mykonos, there's a place for cat lovers!

Here are screen shots of navigator.hollandamerica.com which is where everything can be found VERY LITTLE is now in the paper daily navigator that is left in your room at night. So for those with out a smart phone or tablet it will make it more difficult. Just my opinion they will need to go back to the old way because things like the shops and bars for promotions will need more information out there. I would not normally be carrying around my phone or laptop.

[ATTACH]382580[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382581[/ATTACH][ATTACH]382582[/ATTACH][ATTACH]382583[/ATTACH][ATTACH]382584[/ATTACH][ATTACH]382585[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's an interesting change. While we like the paper On Location daily guide, we always take a picture of the day's activities on our phones or iPod and don't carry around the paper as we always have our phones with us to be able to read the NYTimes or use the Kindle app for reading when waiting for events to start.

Totally agree. You would think that HAL would realize that its demographic is older folks, most of whom don't carry and are not glued to phones or tablets....

Or maybe it is a way to get more people to purchase internet while onboard. If you have the device with you, you may be more inclined to purchase internet for it.

Thanks for your daily up dates, look forward to reading them daily. I too am interested in the Promenade Deck. When reading Capt Albert's blog he showed a photo of the deck & it was very narrow, didn't look like you could sit out there on deck chairs and there where no deck chairs in the photo.

Allan

I agree, but the demographic HAL wants is younger, newer to cruising. Those spend more, have kids (who bring in even more money) and appear to want to use their phones for everything.

I don't want to have to take a phone on a cruise to have full information of what is happening on the ship and on shore.

HAL may find they have a lot of pax at the Front Desk asking questions. They should consider having a full daily program printed and available for pick-up at the Front Desk for those who want it. This would be a reasonable solution at minimal cost.

I agree 100%. I like to just put my phone way and forget about it while on the cruise. I sure do not want to have to carry it around with me.

I agree 100%. I like to just put my phone way and forget about it while on the cruise. I sure do not want to have to carry it around with me.

I agree, too. It's just another thing to carry around and possibly misplace. It goes into the safe with my wallet when we board.

I'd like to see touch-screen information centers around the ship. Kiosks where you can access daily programs, menus, arrival and departure times for upcoming ports, etc. Not a place to log in and see your account, just the general stuff.

If they don't want to go interactive, how about screens that scroll through the daily activities and include important reminders.

It's the birthplace of the Olympics. Yes, it is mostly pillars and ruins, like many other sites in Greece. I wanted to see where they light the fire for the Olympic torch and just get a sense of the place. Do I need to go back? No, probably not. But I'm glad I went to see it. And the museum there is very nice.

Thank you to you and Olsalt. Some places carry the magic of history and others do not. It helps to decide if some people report that magic is present. And we like cats, anyway.

If it is now expected to carry an electronic device, are there now recharging ports in all the staterooms on this ship. I got the impression there were not that many available outlets even for normal electric appliance use. (Shavers, hair dryers)

I do realize the amount of paper transported, stored consumed, the printer ink cartridges used, and the staff time distributing it as well as picking it up for the trash every day is heavy and wasteful. Now if we could only get rid of the NYT for US "news", all could be good.

Like the idea we can pick these things up at central stations if we still prefer a hard copy.

My preferred cruise time portable device is tearing off the printed list of daily events and sticking it in my pocket.

Edited by OlsSalt

Like the idea we can pick these things up at central stations if we still prefer a hard copy.

My preferred cruise time portable device is tearing off the printed list of daily events and sticking it in my pocket.

Good idea. Newssands! Next to the lifts one each accommodation deck.

Does not that many there. When you walk past in the evening to your cabin just grab one. Or of you forget just go to the nearest lift.

Better still, just leave it alone. It don't broke.

Agree with the prior posters - it's interesting to see once. Get a decent guide book - otherwise you won't know one pillar from another! There is a place where the Olympic torch is lit for the first time before it makes its journey to the eventual Olympic city every two years. The museum is wonderful.

Lastly, the first bathroom facilities you come to in the site are overcrowded - long lines - there are others further along that are less so. :)

What struck me about Olympia more than anything is that this event with its deep layers of organization even existed when it did - in this country of remote rocky and often inaccessible city states.

Yet they came together for this highly organized event and the athletes were momentarily treated like gods. You could almost see their sweaty bodies readying for the prize events, or was it the vivid portrayal by our guide that their graceful forms -in their natural state - come alive for us.

One thing Greece still does very well is the excellent academic training of their licensed tourism guides. Still hard to believe this singular event so long ago in such a remote setting is still reverberating with us today.

So yes, pay honor to the ghosts. And relive where the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat got started. Before everyone gets a participation trophy for just showing up and there are no more winners or losers. But our long western tradition of open access, competition, winners and losers, and training for excellence maybe all got started here.

Edited by OlsSalt