Riviera new thread : Happy hour and cocktails Ect.

iamkingofall

Not sure what anyone wants to know about Happy Hour. It is extremely crowded on the Riviera in Martini's Lounge - difficult to find seats. Those of us that purchase the alcohol package tend to avoid Happy Hour.

Happy to see something other than a thread regarding "noro".

Not sure what anyone wants to know about Happy Hour. It is extremely crowded on the Riviera in Martini's Lounge - difficult to find seats. Those of us that purchase the alcohol package tend to avoid Happy Hour.

We have fought this war before. Yes, it is crowded at times. And beneath consideration by some of the more refined passengers. But for others of us, it is a convivial social time and a great opportunity to get to know fellow travelers. Please forgive those of us commoners who actually enjoy it!!!

We purchase the liquor package and go to Happy Hour about 5:30 or 5:45. With the package you don't have to hyperventilate about the size of the drink or the time. Music starts t 5:30 and we are all in. We have a great time and at about 10 minutes to six we leave to go wherever. We love the specialties, but we are bored with just good food. Looking forward to Regent Explorer in December. That should be good.

We have fought this war before. Yes, it is crowded at times. And beneath consideration by some of the more refined passengers. But for others of us, it is a convivial social time and a great opportunity to get to know fellow travelers. Please forgive those of us commoners who actually enjoy it!!!

We enjoy the happy hour from time to time. Gives us a chance to relax with friends before dinner. We should be doing it more. I guess we are part of the commoner group. Good for us.

Thank goodness! I come here only for the RTW reports and each time that awful thread was on top. That could drive a person to drink! ;)

By the way, I am never bored with good food. Our next cruise is on a ship with a German bakery, an Italian gelato bar and free beer. :D

Thank goodness! I come here only for the RTW reports and each time that awful thread was on top. That could drive a person to drink! ;)

By the way, I am never bored with good food. Our next cruise is on a ship with a German bakery, an Italian gelato bar and free beer. :D

Yes, this is sure a breadth of fresh air. Cheers!!! :):):)

:p:p

:D:D

So, details. Does this happy hour happen on all O ships? what time? straight 2 for 1?

Tx

It happens on all ships. It doesn't include the specialty martinis. We usually each just want one drink, so we order two of the same thing. That gives us both a drink to enjoy at half price. Or we order the one of the two daily specials if one appeals.

All the info is listed in the daily bulletin that is delivered to your room every evening.

BTW, non-alcoholic drinks are free, even at bars. I like that!

When we go to Happy Hour it is in Horizons. We do a wee bit ( and I mean that) of ballroom dancing. So we get a drink and then stay for the music and dance a bit before dinner. Horizons is never a zoo at HH as its plenty large. People come and go. All regular drinks are included at 2 4 1 but the single malt scotches have been removed. Unless you know your waiter really well. [emoji6]

Edited by potterhill

We do see things differently on this issue. There is nothing wrong with enjoying happy hour -- just sharing the fact that Martini's is crowded. We go to a different lounge around 5:30 p.m. and it is considerably less crowded and also works well as a social time. After spending over a year cruising on smaller, all-inclusive, luxury cruise lines we are not used to the crowds that we saw on the Riviera.

P.S. We do Happy Hour all over the world - love the concept.

It happens on all ships. It doesn't include the specialty martinis. We usually each just want one drink, so we order two of the same thing. That gives us both a drink to enjoy at half price. Or we order the one of the two daily specials if one appeals.

All the info is listed in the daily bulletin that is delivered to your room every evening.

BTW, non-alcoholic drinks are free, even at bars. I like that!

All cappuccinos , espressos , lattes , whether in the DR or out on the deck are included .:p

On our Mar 13-20 2016 Riviera cruise there was a Horizons-only additional happy hour from I think 10:30pm to 11:30pm.

Not sure if it was an experiment, a Caribbean only thing, or the new normal - ymmv, check Currents :)

At first I thought maybe Horizons was excluded from 5:30-6:30 happy hour, but it was part of that happy hour, too.

On our Mar 13-20 2016 Riviera cruise there was a Horizons-only additional happy hour from I think 10:30pm to 11:30pm.

Not sure if it was an experiment, a Caribbean only thing, or the new normal - ymmv, check Currents :)

We had a few of those nights during our cruise on the Nautica (round-trip Cape Town in Nov-Dec 2015).

We do see things differently on this issue. There is nothing wrong with enjoying happy hour -- just sharing the fact that Martini's is crowded. We go to a different lounge around 5:30 p.m. and it is considerably less crowded and also works well as a social time. After spending over a year cruising on smaller, all-inclusive, luxury cruise lines we are not used to the crowds that we saw on the Riviera.

P.S. We do Happy Hour all over the world - love the concept.

Martinis was rarely busy on our recent Marina 32 day trip. The only real busy nights were the Captain's Welcome, otherwise at Happy Hour you generally had your pick of seats. I don't know where most folks were but it wasn't there.

We did have a large Asian demographic on board. I hardly noticed them ever in the bars.

It generally doesn't work to take an impression from one or two sailings and apply it across the board to Oceania in general. Things vary from cruise to cruise.

Martinis was rarely busy on our recent Marina 32 day trip. The only real busy nights were the Captain's Welcome, otherwise at Happy Hour you generally had your pick of seats. I don't know where most folks were but it wasn't there.

We did have a large Asian demographic on board. I hardly noticed them ever in the bars.

It generally doesn't work to take an impression from one or two sailings and apply it across the board to Oceania in general. Things vary from cruise to cruise.

Agree about applying an impression from one or two sailings across the board to Oceania in general. However, all I have to go by is our two cruises. Some people only cruise a "new" cruise line once and do not try it again because something does not meet their expectations. Fortunately we gave Oceania (and Silversea) a second chance.

Out of curiosity, what itinerary were you on where there were a lot of Asian's on board. Just asking as it is a bit unusual.

Edited by Travelcat2

On Regatta now

HH 5-6 pm in Horizons & Martinis

10:30 -11:30pm in Horizons

Applies only to beverages listed on the Bar menu & excludes the Martinis Bar menu, single malt scotches, cocktails of the day & XO's

Agree about applying an impression from one or two sailings across the board to Oceania in general. However, all I have to go by is our two cruises. Some people only cruise a "new" cruise line once and do not try it again because something does not meet their expectations. Fortunately we gave Oceania (and Silversea) a second chance.

Out of curiosity, what itinerary were you on where there were a lot of Asian's on board. Just asking as it is a bit unusual.

I was just on Marina on the Auckland to Papeete cruise. I would say they made up 30 to 40% of the passengers. There was some kind of big reunion of people from Hong Kong that are now scattered all over.

On Regatta now

HH 5-6 pm in Horizons & Martinis

10:30 -11:30pm in Horizons

Applies only to beverages listed on the Bar menu & excludes the Martinis Bar menu, single malt scotches, cocktails of the day & XO's

We could get the Big O Martini though, and I think it's on the Martini Bar Menu.

Nothing to do with class or aloofness, happy hours are fine but can also be very crowded and finding a seat difficult. I , on my last cruise, went for the prem package and still attended happy hours to socialize, Some times it worked and sometimes it was a zoo.

It was nice to have an option and not a feeling of urgency. and to linger or not, it just gave the gift of time... not having to be or do something strictly by the clock. And I was suprised at the savings I realized even as a lite drinker.... The option was rewarding in many ways.

We could get the Big O Martini though, and I think it's on the Martini Bar Menu.

Maybe different on the O class ships :confused:

I just copied what the Currents had for HH

Nothing to do with class or aloofness, happy hours are fine but can also be very crowded and finding a seat difficult. I , on my last cruise, went for the prem package and still attended happy hours to socialize, Some times it worked and sometimes it was a zoo.

It was nice to have an option and not a feeling of urgency. and to linger or not, it just gave the gift of time... not having to be or do something strictly by the clock. And I was suprised at the savings I realized even as a lite drinker.... The option was rewarding in many ways.

Completely agree with you. I must say that I find it interesting that so many Oceania cruisers do not want all-inclusive alcohol because either they don't drink or drink very little. On the other hand, happy hour can be mobbed and there can be quite a wait to get one of their "weak" drinks. Fortunately, with the premium package, you can order a double and not have to wait forever to order another "2 for 1".

Completely agree with you. I must say that I find it interesting that so many Oceania cruisers do not want all-inclusive alcohol because either they don't drink or drink very little. On the other hand, happy hour can be mobbed and there can be quite a wait to get one of their "weak" drinks. Fortunately, with the premium package, you can order a double and not have to wait forever to order another "2 for 1".

Let me say this . 2 for 1 is a good thing .But cocktails , beer Ect. run $7.00 plus .If you drink in Manhattan N.Y. Your used to this . So 2 for 1 is decent , but an hour every night doesn't really wet my whistle . :rolleyes: As it's been said , if you spring the , I don't know , $55 a day PP ? For the package , you don't care . But I would rather use an onboard credit and pay for it as I go . And I don't think you can take the package day by day . The remainder of your cruise may be offered for the 10 , 9 , remaining days left on the cruise as they want to get the money out of you while they can . If your a liquor pig , by all means take the package . But I usually have a stash back at the homestead , and there are some stops along the way . Me , sober as a judge ? Don't count on it . :eek::eek: