Which type of balcony room for the fjords?

ajs77

I am new to cruising. My first cruise is going to be on the celebrity eclipse to the fjords and I don't know what type of balcony? Do I go for a sunset view or normal? Forward or aft port or starboard? What would anyone recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

I wouldn't recommend any particular type of balcony or a balcony at all because the fjords are much better viewed from open deck or from the sky lounge (if it's too cold) so that you can get a panoramic view. An aft balcony would be nice though as anything on the side has a more limited view. :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

I assume you mean the Norwegian fjords. If you can afford the higher price, take an aft facing balcony for the best views. As to the sides, port or starboard doesn't matter as the views on the one side sailing into the fjord will be on the other side sailing out.

I disagree with the previous poster on open decks. Beautiful nature is best enjoyed from the peace and quietness of a private balcony (with a good glass of wine of course). The noise and hectic of hundreds of other people cramming the open decks totally ruins the experience for me.

Aft. Yes, it's nice to be on the open deck but it could be cold, windy, rainy, etc. Yes it's nice to view it from the Sky Lounge, but if it's like our Alaska cruise, people had staked out their positions along the windows from the early morning hours so it's not fun to me to watch the view over other's heads. So, Aft facing balcony. You see what there is to see on both sides...panorama views.

Aft. Yes, it's nice to be on the open deck but it could be cold, windy, rainy, etc. Yes it's nice to view it from the Sky Lounge, but if it's like our Alaska cruise, people had staked out their positions along the windows from the early morning hours so it's not fun to me to watch the view over other's heads. So, Aft facing balcony. You see what there is to see on both sides...panorama views.

I agree with mickeysgal here.

You will love this cruise. It has been my favorite, and Eclipse has been my favorite ship. It's very similar to Alaska as far as the scenery, but the ports are just wonderful, charming and unique.

I am new to cruising. My first cruise is going to be on the celebrity eclipse to the fjords and I don't know what type of balcony? Do I go for a sunset view or normal? Forward or aft port or starboard? What would anyone recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would like to say that port or starboard is really not an issue as you go into a fjord one way and come out the other way so, you get so see both sides during the transit.

As for sunset cabin, I would say no because you see what was and not what is coming or is present.

Did the Fjords with Azamara. Had a balcony, but definitely enjoyed the open decks to get full views of special locations. Did not have a crowding problem. Can't speak to larger Celebrity ship, but aft would certainly provide a better view of both sides if you didn't want to view from open decks. Wonderful sights to be enjoyed whatever your viewing location.

Aft balcony.

The fjords cruise was my absolute favorite to date. Some of the most amazing views take place very early in the morning, or later in the evening. If you prefer going out onto an upper deck, be prepared to get up early and dress warmly. One of our favorite things to do was order breakfast from room service, and relax on our aft balcony loungers under a warm blanket (extra provided by our room steward). An evening glass of wine from the same vantage point can't be beat!

Edited by sippican

Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

I wouldn't recommend any particular type of balcony or a balcony at all because the fjords are much better viewed from open deck or from the sky lounge (if it's too cold) so that you can get a panoramic view. An aft balcony would be nice though as anything on the side has a more limited view. :)

Agreed. Did the Norwegian fjords on the Eclipse last spring, had an oceanview cabin, and never missed the balcony. For entry into and exit from fjords, open deck was best. Far too cold to want to sit out on a balcony for extended periods.

Stuart

You will be spending hours and hours cruising in the Norwegian Fjords, so the idea of standing up on deck for all those hours sounds cold and exhausting. I suggest a balcony on either side (the views are the same, as you will see one side going in and the other going out). We loved sitting in the warmth of our cabin, watching out the doors, with occasional visits out on the balcony to enjoy the beauty.

One of the fjords we were in we were still heading out after "dark" (the sun barely goes down, it was still rather light outside at 2 am) and it was so cool to step out on my balcony at 2 am, with the sun barely under the horizon, and seeing the last of the fjords. One of our greatest cruises.

I am also going to see the fjords and have chosen an S1. I love the balcony , as you can look ahead to one side, but have a great view aft. I am short, so dodging peoples' heads is not what I enjoy. Yes, this balcony is more expensive and I can't believe what I paid; however, I have had one before and loved it, especially sailing on the Adriatic. Life is too short and experiences are what makes the difference!

When are you going?; you could come and take in the views from our cabin!

Edited by Lastdance

Interesting thread, I'm also going to the Norwegian Fjords next month. And managed to snag one of the 4 coveted corner AFT balconies an RCCL Radiance class ship Serenade of the Seas...

Oops!!! wrong cruise line section...but related discussion...

Agreed. Did the Norwegian fjords on the Eclipse last spring, had an oceanview cabin, and never missed the balcony. For entry into and exit from fjords, open deck was best. Far too cold to want to sit out on a balcony for extended periods.

Stuart

Only people that don't book balconies say that :)

Relating this to our experience on river cruises: you don't have to sit out on a balcony (in the cold and/or rain) to get the benefit of it -- your cabin has a full-width glass wall, so you can stay nice and cozy while enjoying the view (and nip outside when something really nice appears).

I assume you mean the Norwegian fjords. If you can afford the higher price, take an aft facing balcony for the best views. As to the sides, port or starboard doesn't matter as the views on the one side sailing into the fjord will be on the other side sailing out.

I disagree with the previous poster on open decks. Beautiful nature is best enjoyed from the peace and quietness of a private balcony (with a good glass of wine of course). The noise and hectic of hundreds of other people cramming the open decks totally ruins the experience for me.

Agree, an aft balcony would be great if it is chilly outside, because you won't get wind with an aft balcony. The wind makes it colder.

We did this with an aft balcony and it was nice, but spent most of the time as the weather was excellent on the open deck areas. A bit of weather and side balconies would be both wet and cold to my DW.

We decided to book port side in the end....Looking at the Fjords on google it should mean generally we get early morning sun going into the Fjord and late afternoon sun coming out...That is if it isn't cloudy, raining, the mountains in the way....I'll report back post cruise if it works!!

I do feel the cold....When we cruised in Alaska I got wrapped up on our balcony sun bed, covered in blankets, hat and gloves on and enjoyed every minute! Jug of coffee.....Plan on doing the same on Eclipse! May even take a hot water bottle, kettle in room, no luggage restrictions for us cruising from Southampton!

We also plan on booking Tuscan Grill a few evenings should be some nice evening viewing from there!

We decided to book port side in the end....Looking at the Fjords on google it should mean generally we get early morning sun going into the Fjord and late afternoon sun coming out...

Don't follow. Ships enter the fjords on the western end and sail east-bound in and west-bound out. That should give starboard balconies the sun as you describe.

Don't follow. Ships enter the fjords on the western end and sail east-bound in and west-bound out. That should give starboard balconies the sun as you describe.

Think we were looking more at the North South angles....As I said don't know if it will make a difference, if no sun I will just have to change regular coffee for one of those alcoholic ones from Cafe Al Bachio...Still looking forward to some great balcony viewing!

We always travel in Aqua with the overhang as we don't like to be out in the sun. If you do this you should be aware that the fjords can be so narrow in places that you don't see the tops of the mountains or waterfalls from the balcony.

Early morning on deck is good if you get there before all the people, but it can be a little cool.

We did the Fjords last summer, we did have a balcony cabin and did spend alot of time enjoying the scenery, for sailaway and Fjord sailing we did prefer to be up on the top decks to get the whole panoramic view. It's good to have a choice

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I wouldn't recommend any particular type of balcony or a balcony at all because the fjords are much better viewed from open deck or from the sky lounge (if it's too cold) so that you can get a panoramic view. An aft balcony would be nice though as anything on the side has a more limited view.

Oakton Girl: Did the Fjords with Azamara. Had a balcony' date=' but definitely enjoyed the open decks to get full views of special locations. Did not have a crowding problem. Can't speak to larger Celebrity ship, but aft would certainly provide a better view of both sides if you didn't want to view from open decks. [b']Wonderful sights to be enjoyed whatever your viewing location[/b].

Agree with Debbie in welcoming your to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of smart and helpful folks on these boards. Don't be shy!! Keep asking good questions.

Yes, a balcony could be nice. BUT, the "action" can be on both sides and a balcony can limit your ability to see and enjoy things on each different side, from the varied angles, etc. And, Norway is not cheap with its short season there and high land/labor/tax costs in their excellent country. See more with a few of my samples visuals shared below. PLUS, much more on my full live/blog. Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: One major issue or question could be whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 196,577 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, there are some great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture/highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

The fjord cruise was the most beautiful cruise. I did it 11 years ago in AUgust. I was on the Century in oceanview cabin. Weather was sunny and cool. Best views are in the Sky Lounge forward. The views are outstading. No need for a balcony. Have a great time.take pjotos and enjoy