Koningsdam Promenade Deck, judge for yourself (video)….

Alphen

I find it hard to believe that they'd be allowed to make it so narrow that a mobility scooter couldn't go through. But it sure looks that way to me, too. And those poles that seem to be in the walkway look like obstacles that would be hard for a scooter user to dodge, too.

One narrow part is towards the stern where the kitchen doors open out onto the deck. Those doors are wide and will have to open fully, so I am thinking the deck is likely 4 feet wide there.

One narrow part is towards the stern where the kitchen doors open out onto the deck. Those doors are wide and will have to open fully, so I am thinking the deck is likely 4 feet wide there.

Would guess that if you have mobility issues, like with a scooter, then you will have different muster point, not in the usual spots as other passengers. Then with your scooter you will come out onto deck into a special boat... and easily embarked.

Or something other plan, but be sure they have already thought one out... I hope!

I think it's fine to do that on contemporary lines like NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. It's different for HAL and also Cunard. Both lines are steeped in tradition and both sell themselves on that fact to a certain extent. The promenade deck is a feature that HAL regulars have loved for generations. Same with Cunard. Also the clientele is a bit older and relaxing on a promenade is something very much enjoyed and cherished by HAL regulars. They are not interested in slides or rock climbing walls, but a traditional promenade absolutely. You can see that just by the responses to this thread. The fact that HAL eliminated the promenade in the traditional sense tells me they don't even know or understand their client base, or simply don't care. Either way it's unfortunate especially since this is the future of HAL.

Taking a large area often empty to turn into revenue-reducing space is the norm.

Looks like a good compromise to me - no issues at all here. Excited to sail her for 11 days in November.

They built this ship 9 ft wider than the old panamax beam of 106 ft. Since the new Panama locks max is 180 ft they could have added another 8 or 10 ft to the beam and had a promenade with loungers and more revenue-producing space on the Promenade and Plaza decks.

They built this ship 9 ft wider than the old panamax beam of 106 ft. Since the new Panama locks max is 180 ft they could have added another 8 or 10 ft to the beam and had a promenade with loungers and more revenue-producing space on the Promenade and Plaza decks.

Even better with all that extra stability in the wider hull they could at least have TWO more decks of SUITES. Then they NEED the extra deck space to get everyone out on deck for the musters!

Hello

With this ship HAL is in a race to the bottom....with this ship there is nothing that truly sets it aside from others, that makes it special. I say this as someone who sailed countless times with HAL over the years until they lost me in 2005 on the 35 days Voyage of the Vikings. I will stick with Cunard. At least Cunard has traditional promenade decks and real ballrooms with real orchestras for dancing. HAL not so much.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

The fact that HAL eliminated the promenade in the traditional sense tells me they don't even know or understand their client base, or simply don't care.

OR: Or, HAL is trying to dump their client base, and replace it with a new---different---client base.

The changes apparent on the Koningsdam scream "buh-bye" loud and clear to the old guard.

Many hopes dashed, mine too. Won't sail on this ship unless the price is way below other options. At least I know it's time to look into either lines.. A little extra work planning future cruise vacations, but time to face it. Symbolically the prom deck is the antithesis of having your experience at sea being force-fed to you.

Kingkongdam has always seemed too big for my interest and seeing the promenade deck now has sealed the deal for me. I won't be walking that deck- I won't even be setting foot on the ship. No decent promenade deck, no cruising for me.

Guess I'll just enjoy any trip I can take on an S or R, while they still exist, possibly try a Vista, but that's in all probability it for me. Back to car camping.

As an avid walker even on the Holland Ships with nice wide prom decks and deck chairs i know it can get very congested especially when arriving or leaving a port when often dozens or hundreds of passengers like to be on the prom deck to watch all the activity.

Even on the wide decks when a couple are walking side by side it can be a struggle to get around them as they are usually caught up in conversation or enjoying the views with no awareness that they are blocking the walkers. That I have learned to deal with.

I probably spend more time walking or sitting in a deck chair on the LP/Prom deck than anywhere else on the ship. I enjoy watching others do their walks. I enjoy watching the ocean. I enjoy sitting outside but under a cover. I enjoy reading books and taking naps outside..but mostly I enjoy walking one hour in the morning and another in the afternoon for exercise etc. Walking on an upper sports deck is not at all the same experience as it is completely exposed to the elements not to mention no deck chairs.

It is very hard for me to believe that a good designer could not have figured out how to make a proper LP/Prom deck by utilizing wasted space in the interior without compromising revenue production.

As others have said Holland has built it's business as a traditional cruise liner without all the silly climbing walls and the like. It is truly amazing with a wider beam in the Kdam that they could not at least have a proper walking/sitting deck.

As a four star mariner that has sailed on 8 different cruise lines the thing that has always brought me back to Holland was the ships were ships and not amusement parks . The ships were designed for the passengers comfort rather than flashing lights everywhere done to massage a designers ego in an attempt to be "hip".

Bad decision Holland America.

Edited by dockman

I think it's fine to do that on contemporary lines like NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. It's different for HAL and also Cunard. Both lines are steeped in tradition and both sell themselves on that fact to a certain extent. The promenade deck is a feature that HAL regulars have loved for generations. Same with Cunard. Also the clientele is a bit older and relaxing on a promenade is something very much enjoyed and cherished by HAL regulars. They are not interested in slides or rock climbing walls, but a traditional promenade absolutely. You can see that just by the responses to this thread. The fact that HAL eliminated the promenade in the traditional sense tells me they don't even know or understand their client base, or simply don't care. Either way it's unfortunate especially since this is the future of HAL.

I understand that for many people the wrap-around promenade is important but the number of posts here on Cruise Critic most likely does not accurately reflect what HAL passengers' opinions are.

I am sure a good number of HAL passengers only get to the promenade deck for the muster drill.

I understand that for many people the wrap-around promenade is important but the number of posts here on Cruise Critic most likely does not accurately reflect what HAL passengers' opinions are.

I am sure a good number of HAL passengers only get to the promenade deck for the muster drill.

A lot of passengers don't go to the bar either!:D

Comments on CC do not necessarily reflect passenger's comments re the prom deck. Probably most people who use prom deck don't make necessarily comments. For one for sure, a LOT of people would prefer a good prom deck.

All under the bridge now. That ship is built and not a thing can anyone do. And the new ship will do the same again as well.

I would tend to disagree. I'm guessing an even higher percentage of HAL regulars than represented here will be highly disappointed at the loss of the traditional promenade deck. I'm basing this on past HAL cruises of which there have been many, and how popular the promenade deck was on those cruises.

The ships were designed for the passengers comfort rather than flashing lights everywhere done to massage a designers ego in an attempt to be "hip".

Bad decision Holland America.

Seriously? If you are given a 1/2 billion dollars and told to invest it and earn X% a year for the next 20 years and with a residual value of X $'s when you are ready to sell.......are you telling me that passenger comfort (i.e. a wide promenade) is the #1 goal? It might be a goal, but I can assure you from a corporate perspective, the #1 goal is shareholder return.

Quite a few ships are beginning to place the spa and gym in a lower forward section of the ship. This is true of the Oasis Class, the Royal Princess class, and the new Viking class ships. Perhaps better utilization of space?

I don't know what their reasons were, but when sailing through the waves, using a treadmill on a lower deck is probably easier, and I guess safer.

Seriously? If you are given a 1/2 billion dollars and told to invest it and earn X% a year for the next 20 years and with a residual value of X $'s when you are ready to sell.......are you telling me that passenger comfort (i.e. a wide promenade) is the #1 goal? It might be a goal, but I can assure you from a corporate perspective, the #1 goal is shareholder return.

Assuming shareholder return and passenger comfort are not mutually exclusive, maybe they could have found a way to make it work.

Sure that is the goal from a corporate perspective. Only problem is that if the passenger does not want that product then it becomes a looser.

How many years that all of that money on gyms on the top of the ship... and the best location was it really necessary? The gyms and spas would have been just as well used on a lower deck. The upper deck just below of Crow's Nest could have better worth money for some stunning suites. Now the new ships are switching that. On top of that... the gym is better suited for comfort and safety. Win, win! Even this older ships S Class and R Class... move the spa and gym to lower deck and covert the spa and gym into beautiful Tamarind and Canaletto. :-)

Quite a few ships are beginning to place the spa and gym in a lower forward section of the ship. This is true of the Oasis Class, the Royal Princess class, and the new Viking class ships. Perhaps better utilization of space?

On Royal and Regal Princess the fitness center is on deck 17 aft; the spa is on deck 6.

On Royal and Regal Princess the fitness center is on deck 17 aft; the spa is on deck 6.

Yes I know. I've sailed on the ships. Perhaps I should have said "gym and/or spa" but regardless it doesn't change the meaning of my statement.

Yes I know. I've sailed on the ships. Perhaps I should have said "gym and/or spa" but regardless it doesn't change the meaning of my statement.

OK. :) When I read your post I remembered where the gym on the Regal was and that it was on one of the upper decks.

I don't know if the general statement that newer ships place spas/gyms low and forward holds up - Anthem and Quantum both have it forward and on high decks.