Koningsdam Promenade Deck, judge for yourself (video)….

Alphen

Seriously? If you are given a 1/2 billion dollars and told to invest it and earn X% a year for the next 20 years and with a residual value of X $'s when you are ready to sell.......are you telling me that passenger comfort (i.e. a wide promenade) is the #1 goal? It might be a goal, but I can assure you from a corporate perspective, the #1 goal is shareholder return.

I can understand this perspective but when HAL has to start to deeply discounting fares in order to fill the ship the bean counters may develop a different perspective. Hal may well have second thoughts once the rotten reviews of this ship start in a few weeks.

I don't know if the general statement that newer ships place spas/gyms low and forward holds up - Anthem and Quantum both have it forward and on high decks.

No not all ships, but we are seeing it more than in the past. The new Seaside Class with MSC will also have the gym/spa lower and more forward, and right off the outdoor promenade in this case.

Having sailed the Quantum Class, the spa is high up but a huge disappointment. No view. Might as well be low in the ship with no windows.

I can understand this perspective but when HAL has to start to deeply discounting fares in order to fill the ship the bean counters may develop a different perspective. Hal may well have second thoughts once the rotten reviews of this ship start in a few weeks.

What do you base this on, I just checked their upcoming sailings for Northern Europe, looks like it has sold very well. Everything I have read so far is primarily positive.

Funny you say this: Koningsdam's sails lead the fleet by a good margin (price per day, too). The older ships with those lovely open promenades are deeply discounted, not the new one.

So it's actually the opposite - sales will bolster the new style.

Funny you say this: Koningsdam's sails lead the fleet by a good margin (price per day, too). The older ships with those lovely open promenades are deeply discounted, not the new one.

So it's actually the opposite - sales will bolster the new style.

Well there you go again Sppunk........shhhhhhhhh! If you keep telling the "negative nancy's" how great the ship really is..... we will have then on the ship. And I dont want to have to sit next to them at dinner while they are complaining

about 'missing the old times'!!!! Please keep your excitement in check! ;)

dave

A lot of speculation going on... both about what the HAL bean counters are thinking and about the upcoming reviews! :D

Phew that's more like it!

Was worried today might be the day we got positive on this board. Thanks for restoring order.

One of the nicest parts of cruising for us is the final "walk around the promenade deck" after all evening activities -- just before bed. Apparently, we must be the only ones who told HAL how wonderful and romantic that walk is, because they wouldn't have taken it away if more had said they loved it. Could not even walk side by side on parts of the Kdam promenade. How sad another terrific part of cruising is going away.

One of the nicest parts of cruising for us is the final "walk around the promenade deck" after all evening activities -- just before bed. Apparently, we must be the only ones who told HAL how wonderful and romantic that walk is, because they wouldn't have taken it away if more had said they loved it. Could not even walk side by side on parts of the Kdam promenade. How sad another terrific part of cruising is going away.

So you were on kdam? So you tried it and didn't like it? Curious did any of the new additions impress you?

I don't have an issue with people being disappointed by promenade but these over the top negative comments without seeing the ship are boring.

I don't think it's necessary to sail on every ship to form an opinion and derive if it's suitable for you or not. For instance some people have never set foot on Carnival because they feel it's not for them. Others put their noses up at OASIS OF THE SEAS because they feel she is too big even though she is a wonderful ship. Others may look at the decor of a certain ship and just know they wouldn't want to sail on it for a week. And yes some may watch a video of a practically non-existent promenade deck and decide the ship is not for them. Personally the lack of a promenade won't prevent me from sailing K-dam but I certainly respect those that decide not to. I think a lot of things on K-dam look very appealing but I also feel it was a big mistake for HAL to eliminate the traditional promenade.

Thoughts on Kdam from world cruisers who just took a day tour

Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2295499

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this link. It was a great report on their "day" pass to visit the Koningsdam. Wonderful to hear another cruiser's observations.

Looking forward to cruising onboard next year!!!

I don't think it's necessary to sail on every ship to form an opinion and derive if it's suitable for you or not. For instance some people have never set foot on Carnival because they feel it's not for them. Others put their noses up at OASIS OF THE SEAS because they feel she is too big even though she is a wonderful ship. Others may look at the decor of a certain ship and just know they wouldn't want to sail on it for a week. And yes some may watch a video of a practically non-existent promenade deck and decide the ship is not for them. Personally the lack of a promenade won't prevent me from sailing K-dam but I certainly respect those that decide not to. I think a lot of things on K-dam look very appealing but I also feel it was a big mistake for HAL to eliminate the traditional promenade.

Well stated. I don't understand the few on this thread who seem unwilling to accept the priorities that others have for choosing a ship.

Well stated. I don't understand the few on this thread who seem unwilling to accept the priorities that others have for choosing a ship.

hey good morning SAOC. I am not sure its so much that I am unwilling to accept the priorities of others, but in some, and NOT all of the writers cases.....there are comments about "this ship is a disaster", "HAL will learn from this mistake", "they will be discounting due to lower bookings". I believe its in the tone the writer is using. And yes, I agree that we can only read words but we each may read the above (in context) of what we like or not.

If I go on the RCL chat rooms and make a comment about how stupid it is to have a 1000 young kids on the ship.......God Forbid I would raise the ire of a more than a few passengers. And by the way, I have two adult kids so have been there done that. But I prefer it without there being screaming kids running around unattended. But I am not going into their chat rooms proclaiming NEVER or this ship is a DISASTER.

So far there are a number of good reviews on the K'dam, but at the same time, I prefer a review that has the good and the negative comments. Everything can't be the "best ever" or the "worst ever".

dave

hey good morning SAOC. I am not sure its so much that I am unwilling to accept the priorities of others, but in some, and NOT all of the writers cases.....there are comments about "this ship is a disaster", "HAL will learn from this mistake", "they will be discounting due to lower bookings". I believe its in the tone the writer is using. And yes, I agree that we can only read words but we each may read the above (in context) of what we like or not.

If I go on the RCL chat rooms and make a comment about how stupid it is to have a 1000 young kids on the ship.......God Forbid I would raise the ire of a more than a few passengers. And by the way, I have two adult kids so have been there done that. But I prefer it without there being screaming kids running around unattended. But I am not going into their chat rooms proclaiming NEVER or this ship is a DISASTER.

So far there are a number of good reviews on the K'dam, but at the same time, I prefer a review that has the good and the negative comments. Everything can't be the "best ever" or the "worst ever".

dave

Amen

Thanks Dave

Hello

What a horrible promenade deck! Obviously the bean counters decreed no worthwhile promenade deck because it would take away from revenue producing space like up charge dining spots and the like. What a shame. I will never sail on this ship.

If you love promenade decks check out the Queen Mary 2. Now that is a fabulous promenade deck!

Deck Chair

I agree with you 100%. They have ruined the deck. It's only for walking/jogging as there's no room sit let alone see the ocean. Looks very institutional to me, yuk!