Koningsdam Promenade Deck, judge for yourself (video)….

Alphen

Thank you for the video.

Looking at how narrow the Promenade Deck is in places -- lifeboat drill definitely has to be inside. That is a good point.

Walking side-by-side is almost impossible in places.

I feel sorry for the people who love to sit in loungers and view the sea -- all gone.

We were booked on a 24 day med cruise but thanks to this I will be looking for a new ship! I love the promenade. And I absolutely hated the Royal princess because of this. Ok, Cunard her I come!

Thanks for posting your Koningsdam video. The promenade deck is about as expected, that is not so nice. Having just been on the Zaandam, with a great promenade deck and the wonderful padded deck chairs, I'm probably more inclined to stay with the "old" HAL ships than ever. The music venues should be much improved and the decors much more to date, but give me a good itinerary on a "R" class ship and I'll book it first.

Thanks for the video!!!!!

I feel that you would almost have to be single file in areas to walk!!!!

I will miss the loungers where you can enjoy the ocean and people watching.

Sorry to see the changes. Almost like they cut the deck in half.

For us we enjoy The Nieuw and Eurodam! Plus the Vista Class.

Thank you once again for the footage!

Denise:)

Phew that's more like it!

Was worried today might be the day we got positive on this board. Thanks for restoring order.

LOL. But, seriously, with such a narrow deck, I would imagine it could become dangerous when the ship is rolling in choppy seas. Seems you could bang into a metal railing rather easily if the ship pitches a bit.

LOL. But, seriously, with such a narrow deck, I would imagine it could become dangerous when the ship is rolling in choppy seas. Seems you could bang into a metal railing rather easily if the ship pitches a bit.

I am not actively reading CC anymore, it's just too negative and depressing. If I get a notification I take a look. On one hand I think I will love koningsdam just because all the people who focus on negative changes and make zero comments on possible positive changes will not be on this ship it will only be those who like to try new things in life. I will hold off judging the ship until I have sailed her.

As for hurting yourself walking this promenade all I can say is like everything else in life you need to take some personal responsibility and if it's rocky seas and the ship is listing being around hard objects is maybe silly.

I have only been on X Equinox and the promenade was not wrap around and it was narrow and had life boats etc somehow we didn't hurt ourselves and had a great cruise.

Anyway, for those who hate Koningsdam already don't worry you don't have to sail her, the rest of the fleet didn't suddenly change overnight.

Hate change or try new things... We are all different thankfully

Anyway, for those who hate Koningsdam already don't worry you don't have to sail her, the rest of the fleet didn't suddenly change overnight.

Seriously! Well put

I am not actively reading CC anymore, it's just too negative and depressing. If I get a notification I take a look. On one hand I think I will love koningsdam just because all the people who focus on negative changes and make zero comments on possible positive changes will not be on this ship it will only be those who like to try new things in life. I will hold off judging the ship until I have sailed her.

As for hurting yourself walking this promenade all I can say is like everything else in life you need to take some personal responsibility and if it's rocky seas and the ship is listing being around hard objects is maybe silly.

I have only been on X Equinox and the promenade was not wrap around and it was narrow and had life boats etc somehow we didn't hurt ourselves and had a great cruise.

Yes we are all different. To some of us a big library and a good prom deck wide enough for walking and stocked with some deck chairs is a very important feature.

For some it's a deal breaker regardless of other positive improvements that may appeal to others but not all.

Could I go on Kdam and make it work out? Sure.

Do I want to go on Kdam when i can be very happy on any number of other Holland or other lines ships that include features that are very important to me? Not really.

Fortunately it's my money and if I and I alone think a prom deck and good library is important it's my choice. Just as it's your choice if you like or don't like other features.

To each his own. Nothing wrong with CC posters giving their opinions both positive and negative on the features of a new ship.

No one forces anyone to read any posts but I do appreciate learning from fellow CC posters about items that could well impact my choice of ships.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, as I have not yet been fortunate to sail on HAL, but I noticed that the metal railings around the deck are open. On Disney, there is plexiglass covering any open railing or deck gate for additional safety (and prevent climbing). I am surprised to learn that this is not the case on other ships. Are the railings open like this on all HAL ships? Just curious.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, as I have not yet been fortunate to sail on HAL, but I noticed that the metal railings around the deck are open. On Disney, there is plexiglass covering any open railing or deck gate for additional safety (and prevent climbing). I am surprised to learn that this is not the case on other ships. Are the railings open like this on all HAL ships? Just curious.

Depends. On some ships the railings are 'partly' open on balconies and some are full glass. On public decks mostly railings are 'open and some are glass.

Use of full glass is to make wind breaks. It depends on the purpose. There is no extra needed safety necessary. The opens rails are close enough to prevent someone trying to climb through. Now this is a definitely safety code. Climbing over the rails? Yes, they are at the required height to meet safety requirement.

To my knowledge on the newer Disney ships all have open rails on their promenade deck and in some other areas... in the same way as in HAL ships.

On the open decks, yes. Balconies are plexiglass (or steel in some instances).

If I'm walking on a rolling ship, I would prefer to be close to a railing. I hang on so that I don't fall.

Ah, I see what you are showing. On Disney Magic there are a combination 'plexi and rails'. I'm sure a reason on the 'little' pasengers on their ship. It isn't a regulation demanding a combination of plexi and rails.

Even on the MAGIC rails the rails are possibly no more than 6 inches apart. Impossible.... well.... a very small baby possibly.

Dockman sums it up very well. We can weigh the comments and draw our own conclusions. HAL clearly went a different direction on some areas of the ship. I am sure there is a marketing and cost cutting strategy behind these changes. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. i am also curious, will the "K" attract a younger demographic than usual for HAL.

I like to read, have a glass of wine, and a cigar covered from the sun. Looks like I am out of luck on the K-Dam.

Well then for that reason I shall be glad there are no loungers. The last thing I need when walking around is to be breathing in your cancer causing fumes !

Seriously! Well put

Thank you, well put.

The negativity about this ship is amazing from those who have yet to step on board. Regarding the promenade deck scooters won't fit, wheelchairs a no go, walking side by side impossible, what utter nonsense.

I've enjoyed your post as someone who actually sailed on K-Dam, thanks so much!

Edited by Oville

This has been a great topic, especially for those of us already booked on the Koningsdam.

It warns us of some things to avoid/be concerned about, but more importantly it points out some great new additions that we need to check out. As to whether or not the new ship will suit us, I will wait to judge for myself after sailing on her. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, so I am sure we will be hearing more pros and cons in the future as more people return from sailing on her.

The negativity about this ship is amazing from those who have yet to step on board.

That's where experience on a variety of ships comes in handy. After all, you don't have to be a chicken to recognize an egg.

Regarding the promenade deck scooters won't fit, wheelchairs a no go, walking side by side impossible, what utter nonsense.

Do you have experience, then, using a scooter or wheelchair out on the Koningsdam promenade deck? If so, then please post how it will work in that instance.

For those who use a mobility device, and might want to go outside there (or, Heaven forbid, need to go outside there!), it's a legitimate consideration.

Speaking only for myself, I've never understood the fascination and singular attachment people have expressed for the traditional wrap-around covered promenade decks on HAL ships. But then, I don't really use them much, at least not for walking.

Don't get me wrong, I clearly see the aesthetic loss on the Koningsdam versus the lovely photo that was posted of one of the Vista class ships. And I hope they have left enough room for everyone to be able to use the current deck. (I can't imagine they would flaunt what are probably legal requirements for access...)

However, on the modern Celebrity and Princess ships I've never had a problem finding somewhere shady or covered to sit and read (or nap, or watch the water go by). I don't imagine I'll have a problem on the Kdam either. Apparently I am less fussy than some.

Perhaps on a longer, less port intensive itinerary I would realize the loss -- but I don't take those types of cruises.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, I'll venture that "Reports of Koningsdam's demise have been greatly exaggerated."

P.S. Very interesting how some of the same folks who've stated in the past that they don't mind revenue-increasing moves on the part of HAL as long as it helps keep fares low for everyone are now complaining about the loss of the Promenade deck (potentially maximizing more profitable areas) as a crime.

Speaking only for myself, I've never understood the fascination and singular attachment people have expressed for the traditional wrap-around covered promenade decks on HAL ships. But then, I don't really use them much, at least not for walking.

I don't think it is fascination or attachment with the deck itself. It is the place where you sense the water and the air.

• 1 year later...
I don't think it is fascination or attachment with the deck itself. It is the place where you sense the water and the air.

Guess that is why there are so many cruise lines and why we are addicted to HAL. We are in love with their promenades - use them a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 10 months later...

As a runner, I can see why it's impossible to jog and nearly impossible to walk this deck and will comply with the no jogging rule. Sa to see that the loungers are gone too. While I appreciate the dedicated jogging track, this really is the end of an era to what was one of the most enjoyable aspects of cruising that even a balcony stateroom cannot provide.