NEW Cabin Class Category: Club Class Mini-Suite

reedprincess

It states this is part of their "Come Back New Promise, which is delivering guests a premium cruise vacation"...guess that premium cruise experience comes with an additional cost. One of the things that has kept me from sailing on Cunard is reading about a 2-class system which if this is the first step towards a similar system on Princess will have me reevaluating whether Princess is still my best cruising option.

On CC it's regularly commented about how the only extra benefit for a minisuite (beyond the extra room) is a cheap glass of sparkling wine so it's not a big surprise to me that they're adding a couple of extra benefits but I wonder how much extra Club Class will cost?

Curious that Cunard' 3 tiered system keeps you from cruising them yet you cruise (apparently from orher posts) Royal Caribbean, and claim it's second only to Princess as your preferred line. RCI has a fill fledged Suite class system, with separate dining room, separate lounge, reserved seating - and as of May 1, a whole host of separate perks based on what type of suite... So what's the difference for you then between RCIs Suite class or Cunard's Grill classes?

It will be interesting to see how this new class of staterooms and dining set-up work out on Princess, especially given the claims they make of separate entrance and dining space, etc - will it have its own dress code, like RCI and Celebrity and NCL, etc have for their Suite dining areas? Is it all open seating (that's how it reads)? And so on..

We'll definitely be keeping our eyes open for updates - got a ways to go till it's operational. I hope Princess provides more updates as it gets closer. We thoroughly enjoy Blu on Celebrity, which is their Aqua Class dining room, but have no experience with their suite only dining, nor RCIs suite only dining or Haven on NCL. The prices are too hot for our pocketbooks! We have found suites on Princess to be worthwhile - so we're hoping this new set-up doesn't push the prices up too much!

Interesting times ahead for sure...

Curious that Cunard' 3 tiered system keeps you from cruising them yet you cruise (apparently from orher posts) Royal Caribbean, and claim it's second only to Princess as your preferred line. RCI has a fill fledged Suite class system, with separate dining room, separate lounge, reserved seating - and as of May 1, a whole host of separate perks based on what type of suite... So what's the difference for you then between RCIs Suite class or Cunard's Grill classes?

It may be curious to you but not to me because I cannot afford either of those classes which some people can afford but not me. :rolleyes:

Since you took the time to research my previous posts, then you should have read my claim that the only time I sail on RCCL is when it's a multigenerational family cruise. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

So you get a roped off area in the main dining room with the peasants. Classy :D

Doesn't seem that enticing. Maybe if it was that you could dine every night if you choose to in the specialty restaurants.

Club Class Mini-Suites will include Princess Cruises’ VIP guest services and amenities such as "Club Class Dining;" priority embarkation and disembarkation; and the new Princess Luxury Beds, which are being rolled out fleetwide by 2018

Also if your elite you get priority embarkation and if you want to get off the ship early do express walk off. Luxury beds. Meh.

Will the recategorized "M1's" be the new Club Class Mini Suites? If not, I wonder which mini's (and how many) they'll take away? Also, with the addition of the Club Class Mini cruisers, how much more crowded will the priority embarkation/debarkation lounges be?

The other thing that troubles me is this "priority dining area." With the combined numbers of the full suite and Club Class mini passengers, how will this affect wait times in ATD? The information on the website says there will be little or no wait for Club Class Mini and Full Suite Passengers. Princess' version of ATD is, by most accounts, not run very well with wait times being at times long due to the dumb idea (IMHO) of standing reservations. For that matter, how will the Club Class effect the number of standing reservations that are allowed?

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I noticed recently that the mini we have booked for an April '17 cruise is now being referred to as a "Premium Mini Suite" on the Princess website when I check cabin availability for that cruise on the Island Princess. Wonder what that is all about ? :confused:

...VTX-Al

I noticed recently that the mini we have booked for an April '17 cruise is now being referred to as a "Premium Mini Suite" on the Princess website when I check cabin availability for that cruise on the Island Princess. Wonder what that is all about ? :confused:

...VTX-Al

That probably the new Club Mini Class. What category was that?

hmmmm. Checked my 2017 Sept ten day Alaska cruise on the Grand and the club class minis are in the middle of the dolphin deck and are $750ish more per person than my emerald mini-suite. I also checked my Jan 2017 Regal sailing and the club class cabins are the ones in the middle with the larger angled balconies. These are $200 more per person than my currently booked mini (actually that appears to be what they were priced at before the announcement). How they have these listed is inconsistent as well. For the Grand, the club class mini's are showing in the minisuite category. On the Regal, they are showing in the suite category.

Since we never eat in the main dining room as I DETEST being forced to set two inches away from another table for two and since we do not drink wine and are currently elite, there is absolutely no reason to book this upgraded category. On the Grand, the dolphin mini's do not compare to the ones on the emerald deck. Hate full exposure! Only bummer for me is that we love the opportunity to take upsells to suites. This is why we have mini's booked for 2017 instead of aft balconies. Now there will be another layer above us that will get the upsells first. Not a big concern as we are happy with what we booked.

The good news is that the recession is over as far as cruise lines are concerned. Instead of cut-cut-cut, we're now seeing announcements of new Celebrity chefs, special upscale dining rooms for suites, and other new amenities. Since the cruise line "suits" know more details about each other's businesses than I do, I assume this means Celebrity's 4-tier system is working and Princess had to do something -- although this is a very tentative step compared to what Celebrity offers their Aquaclass and Suite passengers.

The way I understand it is that not ALL minisuites will be club class, and they won't be in their own section.

I can see in future dry docks that they will take one of the anytime dining rooms and section it off from the rest of us riff raff!

The good news is that the recession is over as far as cruise lines are concerned. Instead of cut-cut-cut, we're now seeing announcements of new Celebrity chefs, special upscale dining rooms for suites, and other new amenities. Since the cruise line "suits" know more details about each other's businesses than I do, I assume this means Celebrity's 4-tier system is working and Princess had to do something -- although this is a very tentative step compared to what Celebrity offers their Aquaclass and Suite passengers.

Yes, a small step in comparison to what Celebrity offers suite passengers, and while closer to what's offered Aqua Class, it's still a big difference. And nowhere near what NCL offers with their Haven class or MSC with their Yacht Club, or even RCIs Suite class, especially on their Oasis and Quantum class ships... It is definitely the trend in cruising: more for those who pay more, and less for those in normal staterooms... Interesting to see Carnival still retain its egalitarian nature - nothing really extra for those in suites or higher end cabins, no special lounges or dining rooms, etc.. Wonder if those who don't like the class systems will end up on Carnival as they are still equal for all? Somehow, I doubt it.....

Edited by reedprincess

Will the recategorized "M1's" be the new Club Class Mini Suites? If not, I wonder which mini's (and how many) they'll take away? Also, with the addition of the Club Class Mini cruisers, how much more crowded will the priority embarkation/debarkation lounges be?

The other thing that troubles me is this "priority dining area." With the combined numbers of the full suite and Club Class mini passengers, how will this affect wait times in ATD? The information on the website says there will be little or no wait for Club Class Mini and Full Suite Passengers. Princess' version of ATD is, by most accounts, not run very well with wait times being at times long due to the dumb idea (IMHO) of standing reservations. For that matter, how will the Club Class effect the number of standing reservations that are allowed?

Bob

Great questions Bob but I don't see many answers on the Club Class Flyer or FAQ. :(

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-FAQ.pdf

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-eFlyer.pdf

As you asked, which cabins will be the " premium selection of Mini-Suites"?

I also wonder about the affect on the already crowded priority embarkation lounge (elite, platinum, suite) and the affect on ATD which can already be very crowded and now they're going to take away more of the dining room. The area dedicated in the MDR could be empty waiting for Club Class passengers while the lines get longer for other passengers.

"It’s an exclusive, uniquely styled, dedicated area of the Main Dining Room available to Full Suite and Club Class Mini-Suite guests for dinner each evening as well as breakfast and lunch on sea days".

It's a new program & more details may be available in the future but like other Princess announcements sometimes they are too vague.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The next step will be "back to cruising origins". You know, Third Class in the Third Class Dining Room and not allowed up onto the First Class Decks at all. Bah.

Something I have enjoyed about Princess was the egalitarian attitude that Inside passengers are just as good as Suite passengers.

Edited by Thrak

Great questions Bob but I don't see many answers on the Club Class Flyer or FAQ. :(

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-FAQ.pdf

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-eFlyer.pdf

As you asked, which cabins will be the " premium selection of Mini-Suites"?

I also wonder about the affect on the already crowded priority embarkation lounge (elite, platinum, suite) and the affect on ATD which can already be very crowded and now they're going to take away more of the dining room. The area dedicated in the MDR could be empty waiting for Club Class passengers while the lines get longer for other passengers.

"It’s an exclusive, uniquely styled, dedicated area of the Main Dining Room available to Full Suite and Club Class Mini-Suite guests for dinner each evening as well as breakfast and lunch on sea days".

It's a new program & more details may be available in the future but like other Princess announcements sometimes they are too vague.

Hi Frank;

The dining thing is what concerns me. ATD on Princess just does not work very well and it is just my opinion, but I cannot see how taking away an area for the Club Mini's and Suites combined with standing reservations would make it any better.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I think this is wonderful. I always take a mini or suite. Why should the person who pays $499 for an inside cabin have the same perks as someone who pays 5 or 6 times that for a mini or full suite. Airlines charge based on seat selections, theaters charge based on seat selection, hotels charge on room selection, restaurant menu's charge based on food selection so what's so different here? Princess is trying to keep their top fare passengers from jumping ship literally to Oceania and Azamara and other higher end cruises. The seating in the MDR without a wait is worth it to me although the elite benefits are over lapped considerably with the new class of Mini's.

I think this is wonderful. I always take a mini or suite. Why should the person who pays $499 for an inside cabin have the same perks as someone who pays 5 or 6 times that for a mini or full suite. Airlines charge based on seat selections, theaters charge based on seat selection, hotels charge on room selection, restaurant menu's charge based on food selection so what's so different here? Princess is trying to keep their top fare passengers from jumping ship literally to Oceania and Azamara and other higher end cruises. The seating in the MDR without a wait is worth it to me although the elite benefits are over lapped considerably with the new class of Mini's.

As an inside/ oceanview traveler (for the most part). I do agree with you. Suites and minis pay substantially more and should receive perks. This is the reason I don't opt for a better room. Why would I choose a bigger room with the same product. Personally I would sail Crystal in an ocean view vs a mini on princess. If I opted to increase my budget

It's more that cruisers are options for normal mainstream lines that offer so many more perks to their suite passengers than the luxury lines which are more egalitarian across all their cabin classes. Princess isn't trying to compete with Oceania or Crystal - this moves keeps them more competitive with Celebrity and NCL and Royal Caribbean and MSC, etc.. All have a set up of more perks for your dollar when booking the upper end cabins - private spaces, dining rooms, included amenities, etc - Princess is playing catch up in this area, and this looks like the first step on that direction.

It's a wait and see on how it pans out - very curious how they're planning a separate dining are in MDR with no wait seating, separate entrance, etc... Interesting times ahead...

Very valid points.

Problem I see with the Club Class Mini is it really doesn't offer anything of value to justify the additional expense. There is no "wow" or point of difference in this proposed class, especially when you compare it to some of the other lines.

Roped off section in the MDR? Maybe okay if they offered a different menu.

Edited by icat2000