Pickle Juice, carry on or on board?

BigB0882

Odd question but my in-laws will be coming with us on their first cruise and our first on X. My MIL gets bad cramps and the only thing to help is pickle juice. Will they allow her to carry on pickle juice in any way? Is it available on board at any of the bars by any chance, as strange as that may be. She would carry on a jar of pickles so it would be food but with the liquid I don't know if they would allow it.

Ok, you've piqued my curiosity! How did she discover this remedy?

I have seen large containers of pickle chips at the Ocean View Cafe and Pool/Mast Grill, both of which grill hamburgers. I would think they would be glad to pour off some juice into a glass for you. It would certainly be one of the more interesting things people have asked them for.

The way to handle those cramps is this:

dox7gm.jpg

Emergen-C Vitamin C Dietary Supplement, 1000 mg, Super Orange - 30 packets, 0.32 oz each and other flavors too

Emergen-C · Immune Support · Vitamin C

Dietary Supplement. Antioxidants. Electrolytes. 24 nutrients with 7B vitamins. Just mix in water.

You don't need pickle juice. Can't believe a physician hasn't recommended this. They will stop cramps in a flash. Dehydration and lack of electrolytes is the most common cause of that and this will fix it. She should be taking this a couple times a day every day, her cramps would disappear, I'd bet on it, but disclaimer, it is no cure for anything, take at your own risk! LOL

Edited by BecciBoo

I recently heard of the pickle juice remedy for leg and foot cramps and have tried it a few times. It does work. I like dill pickles so I eat one while I have a drink of the juice. I like the baby dills the best.

Has anyone heard whether Celebrity limits your pickles to two jars per cabin? If so, is there a limit on the jar size; 16 oz or 32 oz?

You probably have to pay a "corkage" fee for more then 2 jars :).

I have seen large containers of pickle chips at the Ocean View Cafe and Pool/Mast Grill, both of which grill hamburgers. I would think they would be glad to pour off some juice into a glass for you. It would certainly be one of the more interesting things people have asked them for.

My husband was having trouble with leg cramps and his doctor too suggested pickle juice and a few other remedies. Also bananas because of the potassium.

I had never heard of the juice before either.

Thanks everyone. The Vitamin C recommendation is great but she has tried every possible remedy as this is a big problem for her and she swears by the pickle juice.

My doctor recommended tonic with quinine. It works. I drink about 8-oz each evening. Problem is that I need diet due to diabetes and the ship rarely has diet. The attendant at the Cellar Masters ordered a case of Canada Dry DIET Tonic Water with Quinine. The other remedies do not work for me. I never tried pickle juice, but with GI problems it would just give me grief, like the apple cider vinegar did.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

We have found that a spoon full of yellow mustard works great in getting rid of leg cramps. It only takes a matter of less than a minute and the cramp is gone.

I was going to say yellow mustard. Probably pretty easily found in packets on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can carry it on.

Not exactly the same thing, but I bring a small jar of maraschino cherries and a sprite so my daughter can have her own fancy drink in the cabin while we have our glass of wine.

It has never been an issue. :)

Thanks everyone. The Vitamin C recommendation is great but she has tried every possible remedy as this is a big problem for her and she swears by the pickle juice.

Its the electrolytes in it, although I just read that the C helps also and other fruits including the potassium loaded bananas or mangos and papayas. The EMS techs recommended Emergen-C to my MIL who has terrible leg cramps when she does not drink enough water.

Just read another article that claims its the salt/acid that tells muscles to "release" in the pickle juice. I personally don't have them, but my MIL has had to call the EMS 3 times because her whole body cramps up and she can't breath and they told her to try the Emergen-C. She says you can safely drink 3 envelopes of the stuff at a time.

Try filling plastic water bottles with the juice...they'd let you on with that I bet!

Old time remedy, my husband drinks it all the time after he has been out in the heat mowing yard etc. I on the other hand use Mrs. Braggs Vinegar.