Alaska The #1 Marijuana Vacation Destination

EddieCruzer

Maritime law and company policy will also get added to state and federal law. Most likely work place safety laws will be added as well. The cruise line doesn't want to get sued. Then there is the underage passenger liability issues. Ugh. Lawyers run the world because there are a lot of litigious and/or irresponsible people out there.

There is always a chance of being sued for anything at anytime. Somehow the residents Washington,Alaska,Oregon,Colorado and Washington DC and 24 States in total that have some form of legal marijuana law muddle along. Possession on the ship is legally prohibited at this time. Legal off ship use is not manageable by Princess, further Princess does not want to get in the business of administrating THC blood tests at embarkation and arbitrary sniff tests are not a good business model.

Edited by nooptere

There is always a chance of being sued for anything at anytime. Somehow the residents Washington,Alaska,Oregon,Colorado and Washington DC and 24 States in total that have some form of legal marijuana law muddle along. Possession on the ship is legally prohibited at this time. Legal off ship use is not manageable by Princess, further Princess does not want to get in the business of administrating THC blood tests at embarkation and arbitrary sniff tests are not a good business model.

Yeah. However at the same time it is like all that mess along the state lines of "legal" states and those that border those states that aren't. Plus there are a lot of legalities in places like Colorado. Just because something is legal to use doesn't mean you can't get in trouble is you pop THC positive under some circumstances ... work, during an accident, etc.

totally off subject or is it..last August we were checking out the pamphlets in our Hotel lobby...and what should we find but the "Colorado Cannabis Tourist

Map" and guide where to find it and do's and don't....

A statement in the guide went something like this Now that Cannabis is legal here, Mary Janes and average Joes are coming our of the woodwork as pot enthusiasts. Ladies night might include a joint, and grandma's arthritis pain disappears with a side affect of the giggles.

Just found that statement quite amusing....and it goes with some of the comments on this thread.

Enjoy......

Simply reeking of pot could also mean that you were in a confined space with others who were smoking but you were not, so that is not grounds to get kicked off a ship. People's clothing reeks of cigarettes, too, but as a result of secondhand smoke. Smoking pot on the ship is illegal. People smoke it all the time here in Northern California, they stand out in front of my courthouse and the police department and toke, too, AND a dispensary is a couple blocks away from the court [emoji15] tired of smelling it while trapped in stop and go traffic on the freeway every day [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're right, it should've been on the HAL boards. The fastest growing demographic of medicinal pot users are senior citizens. Excellent when used for pain meds. Beats opiodes. On Grand next week to Alaska, have to look out for the pot smokers, or heaven forbid, Princess sniffers will kick me off. What a joke. Next will be second hand cigarette smoke getting you booted.

Aloha

That 'fastest growing demographic' were the Flower Children in the '60s, lol

Interesting thread on the Carnival board (just got pulled) about someone getting an early debarkation morning visit from the Feds in Long Beach.

Princess has been the only line that had a drug dog on the Promenade as we entered the ship. Only happened once out of San Pedro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Marijuana is legal in Washington too, if you are boarding in Seattle. However it is not spreading widely as you might think, and you have to buy it and take it home. No cafe's; it's not like Amsterdam! I suspect one thing holding it back is employers can still consider it an illicit drug, so many employed people don't want to risk it.

Marijuana is legal in Washington too, if you are boarding in Seattle. However it is not spreading widely as you might think, and you have to buy it and take it home. No cafe's; it's not like Amsterdam! I suspect one thing holding it back is employers can still consider it an illicit drug, so many employed people don't want to risk it.

I agree, trying to bring it on the ship is a mistake. Maybe if that's something you are interested in, after your cruise,Why not spend a few extra days in Seattle to experience the local "culture". We love tourists :)

Just because something is legal to use doesn't mean you can't get in trouble is you pop THC positive under some circumstances ... work, during an accident, etc.

Of course. Many professions are still drug tested. Pilots have been removed from duty for coming through TSA having overindulged in alcohol, another legal substance that can get you into trouble. Funny how the cruise lines tolerate a whiff of alcohol on passengers. Profit makes all the dIfference.

True story, though. On the Emerald Princess in January, the smell of pot on the starboard side aft of Riviera Deck was hanging in the air all afternoon one sea day. When it started making its way into our inside cabins, both we and our friends finally separately reported it to PSD. Pot smoking is a double infraction, after all. We expected to the area stormed by security.

No one ever even showed up.

Well said. The laws in the State of Washington, the State of Alaska ,and the Province of British Columbia apply here.

I totally agree with both of you! Let's see how fast the US gets on board now that Colorado, Washington and Alaska are finding how good it is for their tax base.

Absolutely right. Personal biases aside, when it is used in accordance with the law, it is legal. Period. If the smell lingers after the product is legally consumed on land, that is not grounds for throwing someone off a ship or forbidding them from embarking. Naturally, transporting purchases procured legally on land to the ship, even when it is sailing in Alaskan waters, is a different matter.

Bob Dylan said it best: The times, they are a-changin'.

I love this discussion. I have my Medical Marijuana Card from Hawaii where Medical has been legal for 15 years. Recently, I applied for my card once I found out that it addresses my Fybromalagia that does not destroy my liver, etc. The Democratic Party of Hawaii has a Platform addition up for vote to approved the decriminalization of marijuana. As you can guess, I'm voting for it. As was said, the 'times are a changing.' About time!

• 1 month later...
The unholy hell I would unleash on anyone from the line who dared question how I use a legal product in port, especially when anyone who rolls up to the pier reeking of cheap margaritas is welcomed back like the prodigal returning home, would be of a spectacular ferocity and volume. Why? Because the passage contract is completely mum on the topic.

Reeking of weed is neither evidence of intoxication nor possession.

In an increasing number of Princess home ports and destinations, this is a legal product for medicinal and/or recreational purposes, and it's unrealistic to assume that guests will show up not smelling of weed. It's completely reasonable to prohibit possession on board, but I think their risk managers are acutely aware that refusing boarding or reboarding over this issue would carry absolutely zero upside and possibly expose them in completely predictable ways.

Additionally, if anyone from the line is close enough to smell me, they best be teaching me to samba or on an unauthorized visit to my cabin.

And the unholy hell that will come upon you if even one seed is found on your person or a drug dog locks on to you. Yes it is legal in that state but NOT legal on the ship, in other states and countries and many countries are still firing people who test positive for it. So go ahead and bring down your hell as others know how and have better resources to do the same. Enjoy your cruise. And its consequences.

By the way try to get on a plan with your clothes that smell like drugs.

Simply reeking of pot could also mean that you were in a confined space with others who were smoking but you were not, so that is not grounds to get kicked off a ship. People's clothing reeks of cigarettes, too, but as a result of secondhand smoke. Smoking pot on the ship is illegal. People smoke it all the time here in Northern California, they stand out in front of my courthouse and the police department and toke, too, AND a dispensary is a couple blocks away from the court [emoji15] tired of smelling it while trapped in stop and go traffic on the freeway every day [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoking on a ship is not ILLEGAL but is permitted in certain areas and is even promoted by selling smoking items in the store and in the smoking lounge.

I can see it now------someday Princess will have a Cheech & Chong Joint lounge next to the Churchill Cigar lounge. Maybe the International Cafe will have those "happy time" brownies. The ship's store will have to devote more shelf space to their overpriced munchies.

I can see it now------someday Princess will have a Cheech & Chong Joint lounge next to the Churchill Cigar lounge. Maybe the International Cafe will have those "happy time" brownies. The ship's store will have to devote more shelf space to their overpriced munchies.

The medicinal side might just help some folks and cutdown on the amount of scooters. The downside would be the long lines at the buffet when the munchies kick it.

Aloha

The unholy hell I would unleash on anyone from the line who dared question how I use a legal product in port, especially when anyone who rolls up to the pier reeking of cheap margaritas is welcomed back like the prodigal returning home, would be of a spectacular ferocity and volume. Why? Because the passage contract is completely mum on the topic.

In an increasing number of Princess home ports and destinations, this is a legal product for medicinal and/or recreational purposes, and it's unrealistic to assume that guests will show up not smelling of weed. It's completely reasonable to prohibit possession on board, but I think their risk managers are acutely aware that refusing boarding or reboarding over this issue would carry absolutely zero upside and possibly expose them in completely predictable ways.

Additionally, if anyone from the line is close enough to smell me, they best be teaching me to samba or on an unauthorized visit to my cabin.

If you object to the line having issue, then maybe consider the dogs that are sometimes employed by law enforcement agencies at the port; legal in the state or not, the port is federal turf, and they can at least haul you in for a VERY uncomfortable bit of "quality time" spent discussing your "cologne"

Their ship, their rules, especially if not flagged in America...

Really ! pot is not the reason we go to Alaska, it is a wonderful beautiful place to see and enjoy, our personal opinion is when we are on shore we spend our time seeing Alaska. But that is just our opinion, to each his own. : 0

Ciri

I'd rather have a bunch of stoners on board instead of the drunks, and I was in liquor distribution for years!

Drunks fight at the drop of a hat, the only thing stoners might fight over is a brownie.

Edited by CineGraphic

In one of the states, they have increasing inventory that is not selling. They are looking at reducing the price and increasing the amount out-of-state people can buy. Most of their sales are to out-of-state customers.

I totally agree with both of you! Let's see how fast the US gets on board now that Colorado, Washington and Alaska are finding how good it is for their tax base.

Further to that, let's see how fast the pharmacists and the big drug companies get on board. It's all about big money. Who cares if no one has ever yet died of marijuana overdose. Who cares if the devastating side effects are "a rather pleasant feeling".