Smoking on balconies

PrincessPete

Good morning, PLEASE accept this is a genuine query with no wish to start a debate about the right and wrongs of smoking!

We have booked a Celebrity cruise (our first with Celebrity) as smoking is not allowed on balconies - we spend a considerable amount of time on our balcony and are badly affected medically by smoke drifting down from adjacent balconies.

I know that smoking is not allowed on Celebrity balconies.................but on a cruise last year on a different line people in the next cabin did smoke despite it not being allowed. This caused a lot of grief even though we we were in the right about politely asking them not to and being forced to make an official complaint.

My question is therefore has anyone come across this on a Celebrity cruise or do the passengers comply with the rules!

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Peter

Lots of cruises with Celebrity and we have never had an issue. If you did have one the staff would take your complaint very seriously.

Just a final point, you have checked you have booked a room well away from the 'official' smoking areas haven't you?

As others have said, it happens rarely, but we have found that if you call security (don't waste your time calling guest services), they will visit the offenders promptly and that seems to be sufficient.

on our first cruise with celebrity last year, on the day we borded I smelt smoke from our balcony, no idea where it was coming from. I did check the non-smoking policy and found it wasn't allowed on balcony. I vowed to complain if I ever smelt it again...but I didn't!

if there is smoking in cabin or on a balcony there is a 250$ room cleaning charge ( i think!)

Not really a problem but on one cruise we went out to our balcony and I heard the wife tell her husband to put his cigarette out. She said quite loud put that out the people next door are on their balcony. I don't think there any more smoking as that was the the only time I could smell it.

Good morning, PLEASE accept this is a genuine query with no wish to start a debate about the right and wrongs of smoking!

We have booked a Celebrity cruise (our first with Celebrity) as smoking is not allowed on balconies - we spend a considerable amount of time on our balcony and are badly affected medically by smoke drifting down from adjacent balconies.

I know that smoking is not allowed on Celebrity balconies.................but on a cruise last year on a different line people in the next cabin did smoke despite it not being allowed. This caused a lot of grief even though we we were in the right about politely asking them not to and being forced to make an official complaint.

My question is therefore has anyone come across this on a Celebrity cruise or do the passengers comply with the rules!

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Peter

Peter,

We have cruised 9 times on Celebrity and only had one cruise where smoking on the balcony was a problem for us. That was our January 2014 Infinity, Around the Horn cruise. We had Europeans in 2 or 3 cabins adjacent to ours upwind from us that kept smoking even after we complained. The first five days of the cruise, the smoking continued, even when we complained and the Housing Manager's office investigated. I personally saw smokers in the act twice, and other times could see the smoke coming from a specific balcony. The Housing Manager was not aggressive enough in my opinion. However, the smoking finally ended. We were told that the culprits were issued a written waring of a possible $2000 fine. That worked for some days, but about two days prior to the end of the cruise, the smoking started back. Again, I complained and the Housing Manager even came by our cabin to discuss the matter. He indicated that he needed more proof to do annoying more. I think he whipped out due to the fact that the cruise was near the end.

Ii was tempted to opine that next time it happens, I will take a photo of the smoker, but was concerned that I might be charged with some kind of invasion of privacy.

My advice is once you see a violation of the policy, complain immediately to the housing manager as well as room steward. Keep complaining if it doesn't stop. Write down the exact time and where the cabin is located. If they are leaning next to the balcony rail, smoking, take a photo if possible.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Peter

On our first Celebrity cruise (a 5 day on Connie), our immediate neighbors were constantly out on their balcony smoking and with a radio playing . It basically made our balcony useless. I should've complained but didn't. So definitely say something if you do see it. Judging from the responses above, it looks like there are varying levels of success.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

4774Papa, I'm not aware of anyone on board with the title of Housing Manager. Did you mean Housekeeping? Or the Hotel Director?

Actually my advice would be to call Security because it's a Fire Hazard.

Edited by cruisestitch

More details. Which ship and when would be helpful. The shorter cruises tend to be more "rowdy" so it's possible it will be a younger crowd who think they can do what they want. From what I've learned over the years,the European cruises have more smokers.Perhaps someone can comment on this.

I've heard the term "hotel manager" used on a cruise ship.A call to the front desk is what I do if I see something "wrong". If I really want to make a point,I go to the front desk immediately.

There will always be rule breakers whether it be smoking on balconies or banned electrical appliances,for example.

On the Eclipse this past March we had 2 cabins up-wind of us that smoked every day. I spend a good part of the day on my balcony - love looking at the water. I could see them smoking & saw the smoke & I really smelled the smoke. I politely told them smoking was not allowed (not sure they understood English - maybe Flemish or Dutch) so on the 3rd day I went to Guest relations & asked someone to look into it. I also talked to our Cabin Steward. I was told they saw no evidence but did warn them. Like 4774Papa said, the smoking slowed down but never stopped. I also saw them throwing things overboard but how do you prove that?? I just hoped it wasn't the still lit cigarette butts. This was our 33rd Celebrity cruise but since the non-smoking policies went into effect, only the 2nd time we had an issue.

4774Papa, I'm not aware of anyone on board with the title of Housing Manager. Did you mean Housekeeping? Or the Hotel Director?

Actually my advice would be to call Security because it's a Fire Hazard.

The individual was a high ranking officer and his title may have been Hotel Director. You are correct about the fire hazard. I don't know if Security is involved or the Hotel Director is in charge, but I recommend elevating any complaint to a high level, especially for repeat violations.

Call down and report any violations to Guest Services and if the smoking doesn't stop or you don't feel your issue is taken seriously, go directly to the Hotel Manager. You might also ask at the Meet and Greet how they would like smoking issues handled.

Edited by NLH Arizona

There are going to be passengers who break the rules regardless of the cruise line. Not something I can prove but I would expect Celebrity is neither more nor less likely than any other cruise line for you to run into a rule breaker. Thankfully, the rule breakers are in the minority.

Expecting a strong reaction from the poor cabin stewards probably isn't fair - they are the stewards for the smokers, too, and don't want to jeaopardize their tips, I expect.

Security, I have learned, is the fastest and most efficient way to curb the issue of the inconsiderate smokers. After all, you've paid for the vacation and the balcony, so you /we should be able to use it fully!

Expecting a strong reaction from the poor cabin stewards probably isn't fair - they are the stewards for the smokers, too, and don't want to jeaopardize their tips, I expect.

I agree. I found that out when I smelled smoke while sitting on our Reflection AQ balcony and told the steward about it, and he said "Tsk tsk, they're not supposed to do that". :rolleyes:

Whoever it was must have been fairly close because it was very strong, but I only smelled it briefly a couple times after that so I didn't proceed any further.

On our most recent cruise the occupants in a cabin upwind of us starting smoking before we left the dock and continued off and on for the duration. To make it worse they weren't smoking cigarettes. We did mention it to guest relations, since it was terrible for my daughters allergies, but said they didn't find any evidence of smoking. Not surprising since you wouldn't leave roaches around or your supply in the open.

Must have been from Colorado.

I'm sure it happens but I've never seen it on Celebrity.

I have only seen it once on a Celebrity cruise. It was someone smoking on the balcony of a Penthouse Suite. If I have my numbers right, that is 1 time in 22 cruises with Celebrity.

We were next to a Celebrity suite (several years ago). First day, The older man sat on the balcony with a cigar (puffing away). I took a picture & went to security. Security went immediately to the suite & the man came to the door with the cigar in hand. They were fined twice & put off the ship on the third day.

If you want to smoke on your balcony book on Hal it's allowed there

On our most recent cruise the occupants in a cabin upwind of us starting smoking before we left the dock and continued off and on for the duration. To make it worse they weren't smoking cigarettes. We did mention it to guest relations, since it was terrible for my daughters allergies, but said they didn't find any evidence of smoking. Not surprising since you wouldn't leave roaches around or your supply in the open.

Must have been from Colorado.

Why must they have been from Colorado?? What were they smoking??:eek: