Does DH Need a Jacket for Formal Night?

We are going on the Oasis in less than 2 weeks. Is it REQUIRED for a man to have a jacket for formal nights if eating in the Main Dining Room? Was planning on just nice pants, button down shirt and tie if so...

Thank you!

We are going on the Oasis in less than 2 weeks. Is it REQUIRED for a man to have a jacket for formal nights if eating in the Main Dining Room? Was planning on just nice pants, button down shirt and tie if so...

Thank you!

The cruise line does not enforce the dress suggestion, so you can wear whatever you want.

As everyone else has said... my husband and I wear dress shirts, slacks, and ties. Didn't even pack a jacket. Both formal nights were fine, and we fit in just like anyone else.

Some people break out the tuxedos. Some wear khakis. Either way, the cruise line won't bat an eye unless you're in swimwear.

As everyone else has said... my husband and I wear dress shirts, slacks, and ties. Didn't even pack a jacket. Both formal nights were fine, and we fit in just like anyone else.

Some people break out the tuxedos. Some wear khakis. Either way, the cruise line won't bat an eye unless you're in swimwear.

First time on RCI since 2009 and just want to be sure I understand the dress code for MDR right. There is no need to wear jacket and tie or cocktail style dress for dinner on formal night. I usually capris and a nice top for all dinners and hubby wears dockers and a collared shirt. Is this OK?

First time on RCI since 2009 and just want to be sure I understand the dress code for MDR right. There is no need to wear jacket and tie or cocktail style dress for dinner on formal night. I usually capris and a nice top for all dinners and hubby wears dockers and a collared shirt. Is this OK?
Yes this is ok. Wear your "dressiest" or sparkliest of those outfits on the formal night.

Thank you!

Not required

BUT just would want to mention

that this is NOT the case on some other cruise lines

SOME hold the line ..... CUNARD for one .....

'just sayin'

if you cruise a different line they may not be so flexible . . .

Funny how over the past year to two how the answers to this question on CC have changed. The number of posters trying to push the formal wear and how it ruins their cruise if others are not dressed appropriately has tapered off significantly.

I think they have been ground down. It also does not help their point of view when the cruise line won't even enforce the no shorts thing.

Yes, you can wear what you have posted but you will see a lot of people dressed up too. On our most recent cruise, my DH wore a shirt and tie and I wore a dress. He usually wears a jacket also, but chose to leave it home since we were flying (we took the snorkel equipment instead:D). He is bringing his jacket on our next cruise, since it is required in Grande on Anthem.

Getting into my tux used to be something I enjoyed on a cruise. But mostly because of trying to pack lighter, I really do as little as possible there days. I find it interesting that RCI has eliminated formal night on Celebrity, which is a bit more classy than Royal, yet keeps it on Royal.

Thank you!

No he does not.

Funny how over the past year to two how the answers to this question on CC have changed. The number of posters trying to push the formal wear and how it ruins their cruise if others are not dressed appropriately has tapered off significantly.

And do you know what? The sun will still rise and set again tomorrow!

The answer has not changed at all. Opinions have shifted. But the answer has not.

I think [the formal wear pushers] have been ground down. It also does not help their point of view when the cruise line won't even enforce the no shorts thing.

Or age limit in some areas. That bugs me, whereas I haven't worn a suit coat to formal night in at least 5 years, since I noticed that neither RCI, Celebrity or Carnival seem to care at all. All I pack nowadays are slacks, a dress shirt and tie, and I've never even been eyes-rolled at by staff or other passengers. And a bonus is the photographers don't even try to slow us down. :rolleyes:

Edited by Moonarino