Royal Caribbean to Sell Legend of the Seas

Wish I had read this a day earlier. They have several fantastic cruises heading back to Europe. We have a B2B booked for next March. I just booked the air on Monday. Will try & cancel the air, to book theses cruises on the Legend.

I just rebooked my Oct. 2017 Venice sailing from Legend to Rhapsody...same dates and same itinerary. I was able to get a better cabin (location) in the same category. But I have to say I wouldn't have known about it had I not seen it on Facebook. No email from RCCI.

Then why the obsession with Cuba?

Chasing what they see as a quick buck? Trouble is MSC (and others) have beaten them to it.

We tried a B2B2B on Allure/Oasis/ NCL Escape last winter to see whether or not the resort ships were for us - short answer, no.

So after that brief dabble it's back to mainly port of call driven itineraries for us, bargains excepted of course.

Why would RCL sell Legend and instead bring back / keeping Empress and Majesty. They should rather have kept Splendour and Legend before keeping even older ships in their fleet

Buyers wanted those two ships.

Why would RCL sell Legend and instead bring back / keeping Empress and Majesty. They should rather have kept Splendour and Legend before keeping even older ships in their fleet

Actually, Majesty has more capacity than Legend. Before Empress came back, Legend was the smallest ship in the fleet.

The growth of the secondary cruise market benefits RCL in other ways.

With Thomson sending the revamped TUI Discovery (former RCI Splendour) to be based in the Southern Caribbean for the winter the ship will be sailing from and calling on ports where RCL has port development activity, including St. Maarten, Barbados, Curacao, St. Johns and St. Kitts.

This will bring additional revenue to RCL, just as Falmouth brings them revenue with calls from Carnival, Holland American and Disney.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked 9 April 2017 cruise Brisbane to Hong Kong in September.

Booked a weeks accommodation in Surfers Paradise in February.

Booked flight to Brisbane via Hong Kong and Hong Kong to London return leg plus hotels in Hong Kong and Brisbane pre and post cruise in May.

Booked car hire in May.

All around the cruise itinerary.

Find out that cruise is cancelled June 2nd.

Leaving for vacation on navigator 6th. Aaaaagh!

Tried to contact Rccl. U.K. Office refused to help, actually stating the cruise wasn't cancelled, because booking was made in US.

Flights uncancellable and would have lost £900 deposit.

Our TA has rebooked us on Sydney cruise same date but 5 days shorter.

Flight from Sydney to Hong Kong is 300Gbp. Rccl offering 300US$ And $200 OBC.

5 days accommodation, food, one way car hire costs, also needed now.

$150 OBC lost . Cruise cost now $80 difference.

No one on Navigator cruise willing to talk to us so this cruise also spoilt!

We have 5 other cruises on Royal booked! Where is there customer care.

True. Richard Fain made a statement a few years ago during one of the earnings call that the company was looking to move out the Vision class. One Quantum class ship replaces two Vision class ships capacity wise plus they're less expensive to operate and an Oasis class replaces three Vision class ships. I expect at least one Vision class ship to be sold each year until all are out of the fleet.

Bigger and bigger and bigger still. :( I'm one who likes the smaller ships and am getting a bit annoyed at the industry wide trend of constant enlargement. I'd really like to see a new class below 100K gross tons, but I guess I can want in one hand........

Darth, I'm with you. I have zero desire to sail on the behemoths.

I think the bean counters are forgetting that there IS a population that LIKES smaller ones and they will likely end up sending us to cruise lines that DO have smaller ships as opposed to converting us.

I simply cannot grasp the mindset of wanting to cruise without feeling like you're on a ship. THE SHIP IS THE POINT OF A CRUISE!!!! If you want a resort that doesn't feel like a ship, STAY AT A LAND RESORT!

As of Monday, 20, June 2016: **Just spoke with RCCL, last sailing date is

08 Feb. 2017 thru 20 Feb 2017 12 nights RT Brisbane, Australia.

Thank God I've not booked our flights because I booked 3 B/B cruises on the Legend from Feb.,08, Feb., 20 and March 03, 2017.

Their web not yet mentioned the cancellation of Feb., 20 and March 03, 2017 sailings.

I hope this information are corrected!

• 1 month later...

Would rather Majesty was sold and Legend moved to Port Canaveral.

Sorry, but there is no need for Majesty in the Royal Caribbean fleet anymore. Same goes for Empress, IMO, but Royal are focused on Cuba, so she'll be with us for a while.

Would rather Majesty was sold and Legend moved to Port Canaveral.

Sorry, but there is no need for Majesty in the Royal Caribbean fleet anymore. Same goes for Empress, IMO, but Royal are focused on Cuba, so she'll be with us for a while.

I'd love to see Legend (or any other Vision class ship) in PC, but Legend would be a decrease in passenger capacity, so I don't see it happening.

I am very happy that they are home porting the TUI Discover 2 (Legend) at Malaga where she currently has 6 varied 7 night itineraries available.

I had always thought that RCI could have based a ship 'seasonally' at Malaga.

• 4 months later...
I am very happy that they are home porting the TUI Discover 2 (Legend) at Malaga where she currently has 6 varied 7 night itineraries available.

I had always thought that RCI could have based a ship 'seasonally' at Malaga.

I agree totally with you! We have cruised out of Barcelona several times as it is easy to get to from where we live in the Canary Islands. We can now also fly directly to Málaga, so we have booked a 14 night back-to-back cruise with Thomson next June out of Málaga on the Tui Discovery 2 and can't wait. We have also cruised with RCI before, on the Serenade and the Brilliance and do prefer these smaller ships, so the Legend/Discovery 2 should have a familiar layout. We have booked an aft cabin as we love these and the itinerary Iberian Treasures/Spanish Sunsets will take us to some ports that we have never visited. So really looking forward to it! Sorry to all you Legend lovers who have been deprived of your planned cruises. I hope that you find a good alternative cruise!

Sorry to hear she's leaving - Legend holds a special place in my heart. I celebrated my 40th early on-board her with my mom on her 2nd week of cruising (Alaska round-trip from Vancouver). She was (is) a beautiful ship. Captain was always walking around and would stop and chat to passengers. He loved talking about 'his' ship! (My mom was smitten:D). They gave each cabin a very nice hard covered book covering the "Vision of the Future" (Project Vision), the fleet in review, the stretching of Song of Norway and Nordic Prince, and the building of the Legend.

My mom also fell for the guy playing the piano in the Schooner Bar so we had to make that our last stop every night. Headliner act --- (I'm dating myself) -- Tom and Dick Smothers!

We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with a 12-day cruise on Legend - we spent 5 days sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii, then sailed from island to island for 7 days, then flew back to the mainland.

This was in 2003. I don't know whether cell service at sea wasn't available or was prohibitively expensive, but on the day we reached Hawaii we went up on deck to see people everywhere on their cell phones after 5 days of deprivation. It was funny to us - we're of the school that is happy not to be connected and turn the cell phone off and leave it in the safe when we cruise. We leave the Royal emergency number with our kids, and I keep a special email account to use for cruises that only family, close friends, and our TA know about. Our Diamond Plus internet benefit is more than plenty for just checking it occasionally.

The Legend will always hold a special place in our hearts also.

Margy

What on earth is going on at the top of Royal?

We've just seen the Harmony and Empress debacles caused by the quick buck chasing, sailing of the ships with fare payers on board before they were ready.

Now they sell one ship - Legend - but decide not to just impact the booked cruisers on that ship, but also to impact a whole bunch more booked cruisers on 2 further ships.

A total lack of consideration for their customers far and wide.

I think this is part of their drastic, "screw the passengers, bow down to the holy buck".

The Vision class ships are my favorite, sorry to hear RC will be selling them.

We also adore the Vision and Radiance class as our favorite ships!

So RCI sold two Vision class ships and bought back the two supposedly sold

Sovereign ships. Yeah...great move RCI. :rolleyes: :mad: Hope they end up

using them for Cuba trips out of Miami and bring a Vision class back to PC.

We really miss Enchantment.

Loved the Legend, and wish we had her here instead of older, smaller

Majesty. :(

Edited by island lady