Celebrity Med cruise in Sept: to stay or not to stay overnight in Civitavecchia?

arsesta

Aloha everyone!

My husband and I are a couple in our 30's who will be traveling from Oahu to Europe for our honeymoon in September. We are both savvy independent travelers, having done Europe, US, and Asia solo or with family, almost never with tour groups. However, we are Celebrity and cruise newbies, so there is a lot for us to learn (very grateful to the forum and Rick Steve's cruise guide book).

We have a planning dilemma and would love your advice! We will be on the 10-day Italy & Greek Isles cruise on the Reflection leaving from Rome on 9/30. Our dilemma is if we should:

a) take an early train on the day of cruise from Florence to Civitavecchia

OR

b) leave Florence late afternoon on 9/29 and stay overnight in Civitavecchia?

I know the general recommendation is to get to Rome or near the port the night before the cruise to reduce the likelihood of missing the cruise. I'm aware that the port is about 90 minutes from Rome Termini station, and the train between Rome and Florence is about 1 hr 45 mins.

The reason for this dilemma is b/c we want to maximize our time pre-cruise in Venice, Florence, and Tuscany (we have only 4 days). There is nothing in Civitavecchia that we want to see, and we ideally don't want to stay in Rome for one night pre-cruise since we will have 3 days post-cruise to enjoy Rome.

However, I also worry that we will miss the cruise b/c we will not have sufficient time on the day of the cruise (a Friday) to travel from Florence to Rome, then Rome to Civitavecchia. We plan to rely on public transportation and will not use a private shuttle or taxi to minimize on costs. Total travel time on train is about 4 hours, and if I factor in buying tickets, getting lost in Station Termini, travel time from Civitavecchia train station to the actual port, I estimate that this will be a 6-hr adventure. Therefore, if we can catch an 8 AM train leaving Florence, the latest estimated time we get to Port is 2 PM. Is that accurate? Per Celebrity website, the cruise leaves at 5 PM, but I am not sure if we arrive at 4:30 or 4:45 pm, will they still let us on (our plan is to get there well before 4 but you never know with public transit)? We do not need to get on the ship as soon as it is ready for us, but we also don't want to cut it too close that it leaves w/o us!

Have folks done this before and made it on time for departure? What are other obstacles that I am not aware of, other than the possibility of strikes? I have never been to Italy before, and the last time DH was in Rome, his family planned everything.

Any advice/tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! I posted this question on here as opposed to the Italy forum b/c I would like to hear how other Celebrity cruisers have handled this, since there may be unique checking in and boarding procedures that I am not aware of that are unique to Celebrity.

Thank you!

Even though I understand why you don't want to spend the night before in Rome, it's what I would do. There's a lot of stress involved with a wedding, then traveling overseas and fighting jet lag. I would prefer getting to Rome later in the evening, getting up at a leisurely time in the morning, and heading for the ship.

I'd stay in Civitavecchia. There's something to be said for just waking up and going the short distance to the port, rather than gamble on Trenitalia's punctuality. I say this, because in 2012, there was a strike across the EU for public employees and train schedules were more of a suggestion than an actual schedule to be met.

Additionally, I'd counsel you to limit your sightseeing blitz. I think you'll find cramming Florence, Tuscany, and Venice into a few days isn't as great as it sounds. You'll have jet lag to contend with, plus travel time between cities will eat into your time. If at all possible, save both Venice and Florence for dedicated visits of at least a few days each. We did a day trip to Florence on a cruise and if we were to do it again, I'd skip the trip. Not because Florence is a bad place (quite the opposite). It's just that there is so much to see, we were only able to walk past the highlights. The line at the Duomo was at least an hour.

A day and a half in Venice wasn't nearly enough time, either. Again, you really only have time to breeze through the highlights. And if you're to throw cross-country travel into the mix, I cannot fathom how it would be worthwhile. Venice is a minimum two full-days and probably double that if you want to say you actually experienced the city.

Three days in Rome is also a minimum. I totally get feeling the need to try hitting everything if you're unsure you'll ever get back. But I'm of the opinion that if you're just going to these places to see it all, you're only cheating yourself. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing. You're supposed to remember where you've gone and what you've seen. Saying you've "been to the Vatican" isn't worth much if you can't remember what you saw because you were on a tight schedule.

But I'll step off my soapbox now, as you didn't ask for that stuff.

We have always stayed in Rome the night before a cruise from Civitavecchia. There is so much to see in Rome that you won't regret spending an extra day there. Instead of using public transportation to get to the port why don't you go on the Roll Call for your cruise and see if there is a group that is using private transportation. Some of the vans hold up to ten people and we spent less per person than if we had used public transportation.

Another option is to get a taxi from Florence directly to the port.cost is about 350 Euros per vehicle and takes 3 hours. Company I've seen uses A Mercedes E Class.

Whilst not cheap it would save having to lug your bags on and off two trains, across stations, upstairs and downstairs and the stress of the will the train be on time etc etc etc. Once you factor in a possible overnight stay in Rome or the port (and associated meal costs ) the cost difference becomes even less.

Just to clarify - while there has been strikes in Member States of the EU - there has never been a strike across the EU.

But for peace of mind it might be best to stay the night before. You could get a train around 3pm from Florence to Rome and then onto the port straight away. The town looks quite nice and you would have a good half day in Florence. An early start and you can get a lot done.

As an aside, we did that cruise last year. It is really nice - you have chosen well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pavovsky

A few years ago, before leaving on the Reflection, we stayed in a lovely B & B in Tarquinia. It is only about a 15 minute short drive from the cruise ship terminal. It is a medieval walled city that great for exploring with its Etruscan museum and many ruins. Also has an abundance of very good restaurants. I can't remember but I think it was about 20 euros from the B & B to where you get the terminal shuttle.

When I did this cruise we stayed in Civitavecchia. I thought it was a lovely old port town. We were there for one night & really enjoyed exploring the old cobbled streets. I always try to eat where the locals eat , for best value & quality. I found a lovely tiny cafe down one of the side streets where all the old men meet to chat and drink espressos 😀 coffee was fab, delicious pastries and cheep as chips, as we say 😊

Saying that the rail network in Italy is pretty efficient, the express train is a bit more expensive than the commuter train but pretty quick. Rome is such a busy and frantic city I would recommend relaxing at the port for an evening. Have fun

I would stay in Cittavechia, or do the taxi thing the morning of. If there is a transportation strike you will be needing a Taxi out of Rome. Enjoy your honeymoon. 350€ for peace of mind is well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are doing the same cruise as you only we are on the 9/9 cruise. We are also spending some time in Italy prior to the cruise but have decided to arrive in Civitavecchia the afternoon prior to the cruise. We will be training it from Florence. I find it much too stressful to arrive on the day of the cruise. No one can forsee what will happen that day and it's too much of a risk for me! I want to relax on my holiday.

We are staying in Rome for 4 nights post cruise so staying in Civitavecchia seems like a nice alternative. I look at it as we are seeing another part of Italy.

We have traveled extensively throughout Europe and our daughter lived in Florence. Italy is known for their transportation strikes. I would avoid the added stress and stay in Rome overnight. Congrats on getting married and enjoy the honeymoon. We love Hawaii and plan on retiring in the Aloha State. All the best to you! Mahalo for considering our opinion!!!

My husband and I have done both on our cruises from Civitavecchia. We enjoyed squeezing in Rome beforehand, but I must admit we had anxiety about transferring in a timely fashion. On our follwing cruise, we decided to stay in Civitavecchua pre-cruise. It was fantastic!

We went to a beautiful town, Tarquina, about 20 km from Civitavecchia. It is a walled town with a pretty town center.

If I had to choose between the two, hands down Tarquina pre-cruise and Rome post-cruise. Enjoy and Happy Honeymoon!

P.S.- My husband and I went on our first cruise on our honeymoon, as well, 22 years ago with the Celebrity Zenith. We've been hooked since!

I prefer to wake up where I'm sailing from. You can enjoy a leisurely breakfast and honeymoon lie-in and then take a nice waterfront walk before heading to the ship early to maximize your time on board. Especially if you have to drink package. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with you that you should try to maximize time in Firenze, rather than waste time in Civitavecchia. In that regard, I suggest the following:

1. I agree with one way car rental as the simplest solution.

2. If you prefer train, I suggest avoiding Roma Termini. Train station at Pisa is significantly easier to negotiate, especially with luggage.

From Firenze, take the 0733 Regionale to Pisa Centrale, arriving 0852. From Pisa Centrale, take the 0911 Frecciabianca to arrive Civitavecchia at 1116. This trip costs 36.6 € per person.

We've done most variations of this.

Stayed on the Amalfi and drove to Civi the day of the cruise, dropping the rental car off at Hertz.

Stayed in Rome and Trenitalia day of cruise.

Stayed in Civi (at the Traghetto) the night before. Hotel is across the street from the ship shuttle point.

This year we will stay in Orvieto and drive in the day of the cruise. Next year we will stay in Civi the night before again, so either of those will still work for us. I would not take the train from Florence. Renting a car and driving is a much better option for us.

An honestly, having spent a good time in both Florence and Civitavecchia over the years, I would probably opt for a day in Civi rather than an extra day in Florence. It is a wonderful, true Italian, seaside town with some great restaurants. We would never consider it wasting a day.

Edited by ECCruise

We have long been big advocates of rental cars...and here is a near-perfect scenario to have a car. It takes approximately 3 hours (we can do it in near 2:30) to drive from Florence to the port. In the situation of the OP we would spend that last night in Florence (we love that city) and have picked up a car the previous day which is waiting to go at our hotel. On the morning of the cruise we would be off pretty early (before 8) and do an enroute deviation and stop at Orvieto.. The only downside to this plan is that you have luggage in the car....which means planning on a rental car that is capable of hiding your luggage. After a quick stop (perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 hours) in lovely Orvieto we would continue to Civitavecchia. Hertz is our normal go to agency for one-way rentals...although there are other options (Europcar and possibly Sixt).

To be honest, our norm would be to have a car for most of the trip and use it instead of trains. One can usually get a great deal on a rental car (one-ways within Italy are not a problem) from Autoeurope or Kemwel (3 day minimum rentals) who discount cars from both Hertz and Europcar. In many cases the cost works out to be less then trains, and you have your transportation for many day trips. When we have a car we always stay at the Hotel David (in Florence) which is more like an inn then a hotel...and has free parking.

Hank

I agree - do the car rental. It'll save you money over hiring a taxi, save you stress dealing with the crowded, often undependable trains, stairs, and needless worry. It would be senseless to go all the way to Rome, just to go all the way back out to Civitavecchia. DRIVE yourselves. You'll be glad you did. ;)

When you ask for an opinion, you will always get many. Italy is notorious for public transport strikes. The last 4 times there a strike occurred and there were no buses or trains some days. I wouldn't risk missing the cruise and arrange my transport to ensure I arrived by 11am of the cruise, this gives 2 hours leeway for issues including swapping to a cab at last minute.

We took a pvt limo from Rome airport and stayed 2 nights in CV...really authentic place...we strolled along the water, dined and shopped (altho very few shops) and had a great roll call dinner at a local restaurant up the hill..,great fun...we stayed at Hotel San Giorgio...great local, beautiful historic bldg...good food and service...

Post cruise we took pvt limo to Fuminico and stayed overnight at the Marriot,.,also an authentic town ,good food.,

Edited by hcat

My vote is Civitivecchia! We stayed there one night before our cruise last year, coming from Monterosso. One never knows about the Italian trains! Play it safe, enjoy the port and make the cruise early!

Double entry; please remove!

Edited by Lastdance

My vote is Civitivecchia! We stayed there one night before our cruise last year, coming from Monterosso. One never knows about the Italian trains! Play it safe, enjoy the port and make the cruise early! We have done both, but this is totally your risk level.:eek:

Here's another idea. We have stayed in Pisa or Sestri Levante for one or two days before our cruise out of Civitavecchia. There is a direct train line to the port that doesn't have to go thru Rome. Super convenient, cheap and fast. Pisa is lovely and you're in Civitavecchia before noon with no stress with more money in your wallet!!!

Wow!!!! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for the advice and alternate suggestions. I would LOVE to rent a car in Italy except DH and I both hate driving and can't imagine ourselves navigating the chaotic roads in Italy. I think we will most likely stick with trains, and getting to the port the night before seems to be the best bet. I had no idea there were things to do in or nearby the town so now I don't feel like it's "wasting" a night there. It wouldn't hurt to have a more low key day after 2 days of flying and 4 days of sightseeing. I know we have a hectic itinerary but we really don't know when we will be able to fly to Europe again (it is literally half way around the world for us! And the flight was so $$$.)

Thank you so much again!

I think going to stay in the port town is a great idea.

Even living in the uk with a 3hr drive to the airport, i stay overnight in a hotel at the airport as I know if an accident closes the motorway I might not catch the plane. ( I'm not over reacting..I've been stuck on it for 6hrs before now )

It's all about what important to you. If there was a transport strike, delayed trains, road closures or an accident causing traffic...would missing your boat be a deal breaker? ...It would be for me!!!!

The boats are fantastic, it you have had such a hectic few days you might appreciate boarding a 2pm, an afternoon rest in your cabin and a few drinks by the pool. It is a honeymoon after all not a military campaign!