Tipping question

Why are people so obsessed with tipping everyone and their granny? Is it for show? Is it a way of buying attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm quite sure those are the reasons. :rolleyes:

This is my personal perspective, for what it's worth. I prepay gratuities, but it hasn't really made a difference. The last night of the cruise, you can bet your plane ticket home on your steward/stewardess hanging out in the hall, and your dining room waiters/asst waiters giving extra attention and hovering over their good-byes. As charming as I know I've been, I doubt it's because they will miss me so much. Even if the service hasn't been fantastic, you'll probably feel pressure to put something in one of the envelopes for them.

Can't go wrong if feeling the urge to add $40 steward, $40 waiter, $20 assist. waiter (ifyou've had them all week) or even more if feeling generous. If you dine in Windjammer, you might choose to tip an individual who could have been attentive all week. Having said that, I've had two cruises where there were service problems. I didn't feel guilty in those cases about not tipping in excess of the prepaid amounts, and considered going to the pursar's desk to request removal of a prepaid gratuity for a stewardess who skipped our cabin a few times.

Edited by Truluv

This is my personal perspective, for what it's worth. I prepay gratuities, but it hasn't really made a difference. The last night of the cruise, you can bet your plane ticket home on your steward/stewardess hanging out in the hall, and your dining room waiters/asst waiters giving extra attention and hovering over their good-byes. As charming as I know I've been, I doubt it's because they will miss me so much. Even if the service hasn't been fantastic, you'll probably feel pressure to put something in one of the envelopes for them.

Can't go wrong if feeling the urge to add $40 steward, $40 waiter, $20 assist. waiter or even more if feeling generous. If you dine in Windjammer, you might choose to tip an individual who could have been attentive all week. Having said that, I've had two cruises where there were service problems. I didn't feel guilty in those cases about not tipping in excess of the prepaid amounts, and considered going to the pursar's desk to request removal of a prepaid gratuity for a stewardess who skipped our cabin a few times.

Ok, I did it. I calculated that a bartender gets paid $6.92 an hour, plus tips. With a beer that's $1.17 and a fruity drink that is $2.16 per drink. Pour an average of 10 drinks an hour, and they are getting $10 - 20 more per hour. Not bad for a bartender. I see nothing sad.

Agreed, they are well paid or else they wouldn't be there. That's good $$ !

Why are people so obsessed with tipping everyone and their granny? Is it for show? Is it a way of buying attention?

If this is a serious question I would like to know what year you were born if you don't mind saying so. Tipping is a way of showing appreciation above and beyond a thank you and a smile. Typically parents teach their children to tip.

Prepare to be abused.

But I don't get it either:confused::confused:

The line put in place what they, and presumably the staff, think is fair, that's fine by me.

If this is a serious question I would like to know what year you were born if you don't mind saying so. Tipping is a way of showing appreciation above and beyond a thank you and a smile. Typically parents teach their children to tip.

I think you maybe misread (and are being a bit snide with the "typically parents teach their children to tip" comment).

The question wasn't, "why tip?," but rather, "why are people so obsessed with tipping everyone and their granny?" You may not have experienced it, but there are definitely those in these type threads who somewhat obsess about tipping and brag a bit about how generously they tip.

Of course, on the flip side, there are some who sort of brag about their refusal to tip. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

I do think some of those who brag the most about how much they tip are just doing it for show, and there are clearly some who tip as a way of buying attention (particularly from bartenders).

I tip the bartenders cash each round because I did that type of work your years and can appreciate one of my own.

Also I can usually walk up to a bar and get my drinks right away.

Even if there are others already waiting......

The last night of the cruise, you can bet your plane ticket home on your steward/stewardess hanging out in the hall, and your dining room waiters/asst waiters giving extra attention and hovering over their good-byes.

I have NEVER experienced this!

What I did see in the past (when tips were not prepaid) was a half empty dining room on the last night as people avoided paying tips.

I have NEVER experienced this!

What I did see in the past (when tips were not prepaid) was a half eympty dining room on the last night as people avoided paying tips.

I was always so embarrassed to see a half empty dining room that last night before auto tips. The looks of dejection on the faces of the staff was heart breaking.

Here's some valuable info. In dry dock the bartenders I talked with get a flat $700 a month. While underway, they are guaranteed $1200 a month, plus tips. That is so sad for the work they do. In the Concierge Lounge, you get drinks and hors d'oeuvres free. We leave $5 a night and more if they go above and beyond like scoring a special request bottle of wine or unobtanium mixer. At the end we also give them an envelop with a decent amount. In the suites or DP breakfast, we leave $2 each breakfast. We save all our ones and fives during the year to ensure folks that take care of us, are taken care of by us. If you have it to share, do so. They seriously appreciate it. Waiters and room stewards also get a decent envelop at cruise end. Many send the majority of their money back to families. One concierge bartender was so good to us and know she liked watches, we got her a nice watch at the end of the cruises. Since we do many back2back2backs we are with them a long time. On one cruise, one of the crew that cleaned the restrooms always had one sparkling and always was smiling and pleasant to us. We gave her $20 and she was crying. She never received a tip before. Cash in a crews hand is more personal than the standard gratuity that RCCL sucks out of the passengers to compensate for their meager wages. Plus, they don't have to report it. It's only money. What's in your wallet?

I find it crazy that so many pity the crew.

What is there to feel sad about? They make a choice to do this for a living just as you or I do when we go to work.

Do you feel just as sad for the server at Denny's who makes $200 a week but busts their butt to serve people? What about the housekeeper at the Hilton? It's hard work to do nothing but clean hotel rooms. Do you feel sad for them as well? Do you throw money at them to show your sadness?

Most people don't give a second thought to the people that serve them in day to day life yet claim to feel so bad for cruise ship workers. And always with the reasoning that they send money back to their families. So what. How does that impact anything. The server at your favorite restaurant isn't doing it because it's fun, they are doing it to support themselves and their family.

I find it condescending that people act like they are poor pathetic children and we should shower them with money to make up for their sad life.

Yes they deserve the tips. But by no means do I feel bad for them or give them extra money because as some would say "they need it more then I do".

On the Jewel, if you are in a GS or DP or above you get access to the CL. The CL is the only Reason we stay with RCCL. We are Elite+ with Celebrity and Elite with Princess plus up there in others. The camaraderie that is fostered in the CL is what keeps us coming. The "free" drinks are a bonus. The JS is a larger room but you get double points. Sorry to sound snobbish but life is too short and once you go to a GS and above, you'll never go back. Like business or 1st class in airlines.

I was a bartender while in the Corps and know, 1st hand, how much work goes into being a host and trying to make an extra buck to feed the family. Since we're comfortable now we reward those that go the extra mile to make our cruises more memorable. After realizing what these folks make, our personal feeling is that if we can share we do so. We started our lives in the 50's and have seen a lot. We have both served in the military and fought the oppressors of countries that the crew represent. What's wrong in their trying to make a better life for their families? FYI - if you add a tip to the receipt it goes into a pool not to the individual service person. If you tip in cash it goes into their pocket. Remember they get $700 while in dry dock a month and $1200 while underway. They work upwards of 80 hours a week not 40 so divide that in half. Bottom line that's a high of $7k annually before tips. Most American's pay more than that in taxes. It has nothing to do with "bragging rights" but is common decency to reward outstanding service. Do you tip the pizza delivery guy, the A/C repairman, the hair stylist, barber ... ad naseum? Think about it.

The crew get a free ticket home but have to pay for the return trip back. They also don't get free Internet to Skype with their families. The drinks are free in the DL and CL so what harm does it do to those that are well off? We witness many that reward for the service and then, again, many who don't give them a dime. I remember when uncle Sam paid me $360 a month for being under fire but that was more than 40 years ago. I know my ancestors came over on a boat from Italy in the 20's to escape oppression and start a better life. That's what the crew is trying to do. Anyway, that's my $.02 and I'm sticking to it.

Your automatic gratuities cover everyone that serves you.

If you are in a suite you should tip the bartenders there - either nightly or at the end of the week - as your drinks are free. Some people tip the concierge if he does a lot for them.

We booked our first suite (Junior Suite) for our upcoming cruise. What I am hearing you say is we get drinks for free. How does this work? Neither RCI or my travel agent has mentioned a thing about it and you have me very excited. ;)

Where is the bartender for the suites that gives out these free drinks? Thank you!

Junior suites do not carry the same perks as full suites. No concierge lounge access.

I'm curious - what was the last time some of you who are very generous tipped a flight attendant? They perform the same job as a waiter or bartender on a ship and many have below US poverty level salaries.

Edited by Biker19

I tip the bartenders cash each round because I did that type of work your years and can appreciate one of my own.

You make it seem the bartenders drop everything as soon as you appear. I really doubt that is the case.

Not sure a gentleman should boast about what we call 'pushing in' or 'cutting in line' as we hear in the States !!!!!!!

I'm curious - what was the last time some of you who are very generous tipped a flight attendant? They perform the same job as a waiter or bartender on a ship and many have below US poverty level salaries.

I am surprised flight attendants have not responded! Seriously, they are highly trained in many areas, including life and death situations. No way would I consider them "bartenders." Serving drinks is a very small part of what they do.

No, I would not tip a flight attendant, but I don't think of them as bartenders/waiters.

Our DD held a job that paid a salary this year at college.

And she was hired to provide delivery service.

Now, on about 50% of her deliveries she received a tip, which was greatly appreciated.

People did not have to......

Suppossedly it was built into her salary.

But what wasn't covered was gas, wear and tear on her car.

She was happy when tipped and every time hoped for others to do so.

Yes she was doing her job, but it meant alot to her in saving money.

Likewise I know the crew on ships are paid.

They earn their salary, plus whatever tip amount for the job they are hired to do.

And I am sure like my DD, they appreciate a little extra from time to time.

So, even though we do not have to ---we do tip extra to some of the staff that made our cruise memorable. Not all, but some.

Thanks

Bring a couple of bucks per bag to pay the porter to make sure they don't just throw your bags into the gulf instead of taking them to your room.

You do realize that the porters don't actually take your bags to your room, don't you?

They carry your bags ten feet and load them on a cart. When full, the cart is then rolled to the ship and the SHIP'S EMPLOYEES sort the luggage and deliver it to the rooms. The porters have nothing to do with how quickly the bags get to your room, either.

Source?

I have friends who are flight attendants, and they are CONSTANTLY cruising, touring South America, touring Europe, etc., when not enjoying their Manhattan apartment.

They are definitely not frequenting soup kitchens and food banks!

I am surprised flight attendants have not responded! Serving drinks is a very small part of what they do.

On a typical 2 hour flight over 1/2 their time is spent serving customers - some of who treat them just as badly as cruise customers treat cruise staff. Unless there's some incident on a flight, there's not much else they do but serve the customers - the same thing waiters and bartenders do on a ship.

Source?

I have friends who are flight attendants, and they are CONSTANTLY cruising, touring South America, touring Europe, etc., when not enjoying their Manhattan apartment.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Flight_Attendant/Hourly_Rate

Sure, once you are with one of the big carriers, have seniority, fly out of JFK and pick international routes you can make some money as a FA, but FAs on regional carriers (huge portion of the US market), flying out of a smaller market or entry level FAs (the ones you see on the short routes) are probably making less than 40K. When I threw that comment out there I thought the poverty level was around 35K/yr - apparently I was quite a bit off and according to the gov't it's about 20K/yr.

Regardless of how much they make, the point is still valid - a flight attendant does basically the same job as a waiter on a ship, they serve customers, so why don't they get tipped?

Edited by Biker19

Biker 19 - you will never convince me that a flight attendant is the same as a bartender. See my original post #42. You have never flown with an in-flight emergency. Even on a routine flight the attendants are there for your safety not as your bartender.

Incidentally many of the short-haul flights I take have no beverage service (non-alcoholic or alcohol served), so are you saying there should be no flight attendant? !!!! I don't think so.

Source?

Yes, my friend is a flight attendant for a discount airline and she makes more than $80,000.00 a year. Not rich but definitely can get by on that for one person in Florida. In the northeast it might be tough.

Even on a routine flight the attendants are there for your safety not as your bartender.

It doesn't matter what they are meant to be there for - what do they actually do? 99% of the time they interact with customers to serve them, help them, get them something, etc. Don't you think some FA that goes out her way to find space for that over-sized carry-on that won't fit deserves something extra? Or the one that keeps bringing your favorite drink because she learned what you like? Or find you a blanket when there are none to be found?

Biker, who as a million miler on UA has never needed an FA for anything other than a servant.