Trying Princess for the first time

elycelynne

Up until now I've recently only cruised with Holland America. I decided that I needed a change for my next cruise so I just booked the January 29, 2017 10-day Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Royal Princess.

For anyone here who has sailed with Holland America in addition to Princess, what will be the most noticeable differences? I've already resigned myself to the fact that, as a non-suite dweller, I won't be able to get a hot room service breakfast. I also realize that my cabin will only have a shower (as opposed to the tub/shower combination found in the majority of HAL cabins).

So what other differences do you think will stand out?

Edited by elycelynne

Up until now I've recently only cruised with Holland America. I decided that I needed a change for my next cruise so I just booked the January 29, 2017 10-day Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Royal Princess.

For anyone here who has sailed with Holland America in addition to Princess, what will be the most noticeable differences? I've already resigned myself to the fact that, as a non-suite dweller, I won't be able to get a hot room service breakfast. I also realize that my cabin will only have a shower (as opposed to the tub/shower combination found in the majority of HAL cabins).

You'll find that the ship is much larger in size and number of people . Princess tends to be a little noisier than HAL . Activities , food and entertainment much the same .

Princess has MUTS (Movies under the stars) at night and other videos being shown during the day.

It's been awhile since we have sailed HAL. It was our line of choice until they stopped most of their departures from San Diego.

We moved over to Princess (mostly) and we have been pretty satisfied. I do miss the bathtubs. :D

If I remember right, HAL's rooms are a bit larger.

HAL has the most awesome beds, but PCL has implemented a new bed and bedding thing, and the mattresses are very comfortable.

PCL has a closet set up that is really great. We always have enough room for everything.

We have always been happy with the cabin service from our stewards.

One of my favorite things is the International Café or the IC. It is located in the Atrium on deck 5 I think. Most of the food is free, and it is a hassle free way to get something without going to Lido.

You will be on the Royal, and I understand those new ships are great. I'm sure others can give you a better in depth idea.

Patti

Edited by sassyredhat

Princess has more activities--both daytime and night. I think the Pinnacle Grill is much better than the Crown Grill. Otherwise, the food is about the same.

I did look at the Crown Grill menu that's posted on the Princess website -- Just from the looks of it I was a bit underwhelmed. (Roquefort cheese in onion soup????) :confused:

From someone that has sailed both, there are more activities on Princess, as well as lots of no charge places to dine. The Royal has a very large buffet area, and you will have to really scope it out to see the great variety available. The International cafe is well liked and well used. Two show lounges on the Royal give you selections for entertainment. Anytime Dining works well on the Royal. Live music all through the evening in the Piazza area as well as at the Wheelhouse Bar. The Royal does not have many indoor quiet places to sit, and does not have a full promenade deck. In place of the promenade it has 4 separate outside sitting decks. two midship and two aft.

We enjoyed the Royal this past winter and spent 34 days on board.

I did look at the Crown Grill menu that's posted on the Princess website -- Just from the looks of it I was a bit underwhelmed. (Roquefort cheese in onion soup????) :confused:

You can substitute the cheese for something "non-moldy" if you prefer. ;)

It's actually really good.:):) But, as someone else wrote you can substitute.

I've only sailed on HAL once. I had a good cruise. I like Princess because there is more night life and activities. I haven't tried any of the new HAL ships and would like to at some point.

I hope you enjoy your Princess cruise.:):)

Edited by lovevacadays

We cruise on HAL sometimes and have always enjoyed for port intensive cruises but Princess is a better fit for us.

By booking a Mini-Suite on Princess you'll have the tub/shower you like.

Happily, you won't go into "culture shock" on a Princess cruise. :D

Princess has many fewer wheelchairs and scooters than HAL.

Is Princess generally an older crowd? I've never sailed on Princess and thinking about sailing on her in December.

Believe it or not, I like Carnival the best because it is "FUN" always music playing etc.

Does Princess have the fun nightlife like Carnival? I'm not talking about night clubs (I'm too old for that), I'm talking about different bands playing in each bar/lounge as I like having cocktails while listening to good bands.

Is Princess generally an older crowd? I've never sailed on Princess and thinking about sailing on her in December.

Believe it or not, I like Carnival the best because it is "FUN" always music playing etc.

Does Princess have the fun nightlife like Carnival? I'm not talking about night clubs (I'm too old for that), I'm talking about different bands playing in each bar/lounge as I like having cocktails while listening to good bands.

Princess has music in each of its lounges at night along with game show type activites or themed parties in one lounge. It's not late night fun and mostly over by midnight, but good fun while it happens. Not as high energy as Carnival, but good adult fun. The overall demographic tends toward older than Carnival, although that can very much depend on the particular sailing. Having sailed both Carnival and Princess, we vastly prefer Princess for its much more understated elegance, more laid back atmosphere, generally more open feeling spaces, and their mix of activites that are overall more laid back fun over Carnival's higher energy...

What particular sailing are you looking at as that can have a bearing on demographics..

We cruise on HAL sometimes and have always enjoyed for port intensive cruises but Princess is a better fit for us.

By booking a Mini-Suite on Princess you'll have the tub/shower you like.

Happily, you won't go into "culture shock" on a Princess cruise. :D

I'm sailing solo and I'm stretching my budget as it is by booking a "Deluxe Balcony" (I really like having a sofa in my cabin). A mini-suite is definitely out of my reach financially. I'm sure I can get used to the shower, especially since I've read that those on the Royal and Regal are slightly larger than the other Princess ships.

Princess has music in each of its lounges at night along with game show type activites or themed parties in one lounge. It's not late night fun and mostly over by midnight, but good fun while it happens. Not as high energy as Carnival, but good adult fun. The overall demographic tends toward older than Carnival, although that can very much depend on the particular sailing. Having sailed both Carnival and Princess, we vastly prefer Princess for its much more understated elegance, more laid back atmosphere, generally more open feeling spaces, and their mix of activites that are overall more laid back fun over Carnival's higher energy...

What particular sailing are you looking at as that can have a bearing on demographics..

Thank you for that. We are thinking of the 8N Southern Carib. to Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. I love the itinerary, however we are currently booked on the Oasis, just for the ship, not fond of the itinerary at all. So do I check out the Oasis or try Princess?

Thank you for that. We are thinking of the 8N Southern Carib. to Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. I love the itinerary, however we are currently booked on the Oasis, just for the ship, not fond of the itinerary at all. So do I check out the Oasis or try Princess?

Having sailed Oasis 5 times, and being Elite on Princess - completely depends on what you want during that trip. Do you want new islands and great itinerary with more laid back onboard environment although still plenty to do or a super active ship with same old itinerary? Both have pluses and minuses. Not knowing you, it is impossible to suggest one over the other.

Sometimes we want a more active ship experience with late night dance parties, high energy acrivites during the day, just an overall more a time experience _ in which case, we opt for Oasis. Others we want a more interesting itinerary, and more elegant experience, so we cruise Princess.. Depends on what you're looking for in your cruise vacation....

Better entertainment and a younger crowd.