Where did the space go.

GUT2407

Our first cruises were on Pacific Princess, tiny by today's standards, but still our favourite ship.

Balcony Cabins (I think even lower grade cabins) had a sofa in them.

Now even the larger ships, last year it was Diamond at almost three times the tonnage, there wouldn't be room to fit one even if they wanted to.

The cabins are pretty much the same width, and the room for a sofa would be a depth issue.

So where has that space gone?:confused::confused:

Or am I missing something?

In fact just had a look at those two ships on Princess.com.

Pacific Balcony 216 sq ft

Diamond 237 sq ft.

This includes the sq footage of the balcony. The balcony on the Pacific Princess is much smaller than on the Diamond so that accounts for the difference in sq ft. The width of the baloney cabins on the Pacific is less than on the Diamond so my guess is the depth is a little more. Also the bathrooms and closets on the PP are smaller and their orientation is different. All of this combined probably allows space for the love seat.

Edited by cactusrose

The includes the sq footage of the balcony. The balcony on the Pacific Princess is much smaller than on the Diamond so that accounts for the difference in sq ft. The width of the baloney cabins on the Pacific is less than on the Diamond so my guess is the depth is a little more. Also the bathrooms and closets on the PP are smaller and their orientation is different. All of this combined probably allows space for the love seat.

Actually I thought those figures excluded the balcony.

But the wardrobe is a valid point I forgot that PP had it down the wall, whereas DP it takes up depth, that's probably where it went.

I'm just off the Sun Princess and balcony cabins there are very compact - room only for a tub chair. This seems to be common with Princess ships in Australia. Sun also had the smallest bathroom I've come across on a cruise ship though the shower was a very good size. Certainly the age of the ship is the main factor in the smaller cabin size, they would have been classed as spacious when the ship first launched I'm sure.

The Royal & Regal Princess have Deluxe Balcony Cabins with sofas. Mini suites on Princess ships also have sofas. I haven't been on the Pacific Princess, but have been on HAL ships. Their cabins had sofas, but the closets were along the wall, smaller with less storage and not as easy to use.

Also the bathrooms and closets on the PP are smaller and their orientation is different. All of this combined probably allows space for the love seat.

I also think it's the closet-bathroom orientation. Many cruise ships have love seats in their cabins but they also mostly have the closet along the long wall (an exception being the Oasis Class ships with their closets opening into the large part of the cabin).

I suppose everyone's ideas are different but I much prefer the wardrobe along the side in a standard cabin as I think the walk in ones take up too much room.

I much prefer the walk in closets that are on most existing Princess ships, for the amount of hanging space for clothing (particularly when 2 adult females are occupying a cabin) and the separate shelved area next to it, as well as the ease of access.

The doors on the closets that are along the side are a real inconvenience when 2 people are trying to access their closet space at the same time, or when one person needs to get by when the other person has their closet door open. Also, it's dark inside those closets, making it difficult to fine one's footwear on the closet floor.

I much prefer the walk in closets that are on most existing Princess ships, for the amount of hanging space for clothing (particularly when 2 adult females are occupying a cabin) and the separate shelved area next to it, as well as the ease of access.

The doors on the closets that are along the side are a real inconvenience when 2 people are trying to access their closet space at the same time, or when one person needs to get by when the other person has their closet door open. Also, it's dark inside those closets, making it difficult to fine one's footwear on the closet floor.

Ditto

Srpilo

I do like the closet arrangement on Princess too, but sure would be nice to have a small love seat rather than the tub chair and extra side table. I want it all, lol!

Actually I thought those figures excluded the balcony.

But the wardrobe is a valid point I forgot that PP had it down the wall, whereas DP it takes up depth, that's probably where it went.

If you are getting your Sq. Ft. number off of the Princess site, they include the balcony.

This has been our single most important issue with Princess since we began cruising. Started out on Voyager-Class RCCL ships where ALL balcony cabins have either a sofa or love seat. Second cruise was on the Sun Princess. Had to make do with a tiny tub chair and small stool. Since then we have cruised extensively on RCCL (always either a sofa or love seat in standard balcony cabins), Carnival (always either a sofa or love seat in standard balcony cabins) and Princess (NEVER a sofa or love seat in standard balcony cabins).

Regal and Royal now offer "deluxe" balcony cabins with a small sofa or love seat but at a premium price and don't even get me started on what Princess refers to as a "mini-suite" (essentially equal to a balcony cabin on other lines).

We enjoy reading on our cruises. We often sit for hours on the balcony doing so but when it's too hot or too cold, it's nice to be able to do so in the comfort of one's own cabin. The same goes for watching a movie or two; hate to try and sit propped up in bed for any length of time.

When we would comment on this issue in the past, Princess cheerleaders would chime in with "We don't go on a cruise to sit in our cabin so who cares?" or "If you don't like it, don't cruise with Princess". There's a lot to like about cruising with Princess but this is something we would like to see addressed on new builds (and not as an extra-cost option).

We still enjoy cruising with Princess and will continue to do so but a comfortable place to sit in one's cabin should not be offered as an extra-charge option. It should be a basic standard.

Harry

Edited by traveling1969

On the gem class ships (Crown, Ruby, Emerald, etc.) the aft cabins are now designated as "premium balconies" and don't even have the small sofa.

(Princess found out some of us love those aft balconies and decided to charge us for the privilege of having one.)

(I'd still rather have the space used for that nice dressing area by the closet than the sofa, though)

After our recent cruise on the Sun, we have opted for deluxe balconies and minis for future cruises. The tub chair was always in the way, the cupboards so awkward to access in the narrow corridor and generally there was very little room the cabins. The redeeming features were the larger shower recess with a non-clinging shower curtain and the huge TV with lots of in-house movies.

We hadn't been on the Sun for 8 years, so naturally we were surprised. I doubt we'll cruise on her again.

Our first cruises were on Pacific Princess, tiny by today's standards, but still our favourite ship.

Balcony Cabins (I think even lower grade cabins) had a sofa in them.

Now even the larger ships, last year it was Diamond at almost three times the tonnage, there wouldn't be room to fit one even if they wanted to.

The cabins are pretty much the same width, and the room for a sofa would be a depth issue.

So where has that space gone?:confused::confused:

Or am I missing something?

We sailed on the Ocean Princess in December 2015; our first "small-ship" voyage. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of our mini-suite; certainly the largest mini we have ever had on any Princess ship. When I recall the small mini on the Crown, the same thought occurs to me. Where is the space? Newer isn't always better. Edited by traveling1969