Westerdam Review - April 2016 South Pacific

Scrapnana

Spurred on by a poster asking about the Westerdam, I finally wrote my review. I know many of us (and I am including myself) seldom read the reviews section, so I am also posting it here as well.

Now I need to get around to writing my Alaska review!:o

As usual, I had a great time on the cruise. We had some problems but I felt that most were handled very well.

Problems first....

Probably the very worst was the embarkation in San Diego. Getting checked in was awful. First there was a line to go through security (took me 30 minutes), then a line to register your wine if you were bringing any on (15 minutes), and then the worst - checking in with HAL. Computers continually “went down” and representatives disappeared. I was in line for over 50 minutes but people who arrived a half hour later than I were in line for 2 1/2 hours. Being a long cruise (30, 33, or 35 day options), most of the passengers were older and standing was very difficult for many. I am not sure how much of this was the port authority and how much HAL’s fault. Regardless, it could have been handled better.

We unfortunately ran into bad weather after Hawaii. We were unable to make two tender ports and had to change the order of two other stops. HAL went above and beyond by offering us 15% of the base price of the 30 day cruise on a future booking. (Another reviewer erroneously said this had to be booked during the cruise but we actually have until April 30, 2017 to book using this credit.)

The internet often did not work due in part, I’m sure, to the weather. Again, HAL gave a partial refund of the cost for internet.

Now for the good and great...

Captain van Eerten is an amazing Captain. Very visible around the ship and personable. Mario (the Cruise Director) and Jorge (the show host - on his first contract) were among the best I have ever seen.

There were lectures on different topics on each of the sea days. There were also port talks with Kainoa (the Location Guide) that were not just shopping propaganda. Those who were interested were able to learn the Hula, the ukulele, To’ere Drums, and Tamure dance (they all performed for us towards the end of the cruise). A few local craft classes were held making such items as grass skirts, woven bracelets, and leis.

I only took one shore excursion through Holland America. I tried to book two others but they were waitlisted and did not get them. Went on a number of excursions planned on our very active Cruise Critic Roll Call.

Evening entertainment varied but my very favorite shows were by “The Unexpected Boys”. They performed three different times and drew a full house for almost every performance.

I did not hear of any major or on-going problems with the ship. Crew were always cleaning, shining, and tidying the ship.

Food was very good. I miss the made-to-order sandwiches in the Lido but did enjoy the made-to-order salad bar. The taco bar was great and had numerous choices for you to personalize your tacos. I especially enjoyed Le Cirque and the Master Chef’s Dinner.

The crew were fantastic as usual. Requests were quickly and cheerfully answered. I demagnitized a number of keycards and the staff at the Front Office took care of this without any issues.

Disembarkation in Vancouver went very quickly.

All in all, another great cruise on the “beautiful, elegant Westerdam”. (Quote from Captain van Eerten.)

I followed your blog and enjoyed it a lot. This concise review was an informative read and a good wrap-up of the cruise.

Overall you had a great time and that is what comes through!

Looking forward to your review of the Alaska cruise as well.

My DH and I were on the cruise with Scrapnana and she said it perfectly. Our Cruise Critic roll call was amazing with information before the cruise and friendships on board. The negative I experienced was the time you had to spend waiting for a show in the main show lounge because there is never enough seating. For most shows you had to arrive so early in order to have a seat that wasn't behind a pillar. But the rest was wonderful. I felt HAL went above and beyond with their compensation for a weather problem over which they had no control.

Great review Kathi and spot on :)

San Diego - from what Captain Van Eerten said,the issue is with the port of San Diego and he has applied pressure for them to clean up their act if they want the Westerdam back.

We arrived just before 11:00 am (if memory serves) and did not get on the ship until around 1:15 p.m.and that was using the 5*/Suite line up (which was shorter than the regular one).

Thank you for your review.

Yes -- San Diego embarkation and disembarkation has been a mess for the last several years.

To make matters worse -- we got off that day in San Diego when you all got on -- only 1 elevator was working.

Only one was working when we boarded too KK. The ONLY reason we got on the ship when we did was that they opened the crew entrance (security said it was the first time they had permission to do this) so that some of us could board there. We were very grateful that the Westerdam did this for us :)

Good review Kathi,

In spite of the few glitches you mentioned and we all experienced, it was obvious from observing people that most of them had a very good time. We certainly did and are glad to have met such wonderful group of people !

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write a review! Which ports did you miss out on? Tabuaeran? Rarotonga? Raiatea? Did you have a 'King Neptune' ceremony?

Hi Copper, not Kathi, but we were with her. We missed Fanning Island (two day trip there and back) and Moorea (sp?) if memory serves. We definitely had a King Neptune ceremony the second time we crossed the Equator ;)

There were a number of nervous crew members :)

Captain Van Eerten and staff did a fab job with activities and a pool party when we missed the second port. They did their utmost to show us a good time :)

Edited by kazu

One slight correction...we missed Rarotonga, not Moorea. Because of that missed port we found a great package vacation from that large warehouse company so we're off to the Cook Islands in October. On a plane, not a ship but still should be great.:)

Thanks Susie :) correct. It was the Moorea port that got switched I think in the itinerary and I confused the two confused. :eek. Many thanks :)

Edited by kazu

If I recall correctly from your blog you missed Fanning Island and Raratonga; swapped Moorea and Papeete dates but made both ports.

I have been following closely as we will be boarding in San Diego in late September for Tales of the South Pacific. I hope we do as well as you did, with so many tender ports we are bound to not make a few. Thanks for the info you all have provided on this great itinerary! m--

It really is a great itinerary and in spite of the missed ports and not so nice weather I think that most of us would agree it was a wonderful cruise. The Captain and crew of the W are/were top shelf!

Thank you Kathi for the review and your blog on your cruise! I enjoyed them both as usual. Sorry you had the bad experience at San Diego and I hope they get that fixed soon. I hope you enjoyed the Alaska cruise. We are hoping to do Alaska one day.

When computers go down in today's technology, it usually means that the data server went down, or at least the data link to the server, rather than the computer terminals at the port customer counters. I would think that the server is HAL's responsibility.

I have no sympathy for the passengers bringing wine. In my opinion, they are making the check-in problems worse just to save a few bucks. The facilities and personnel used to account for the wine could have been better utilized to help check in the passengers.

igraf

Probably the very worst was the embarkation in San Diego. Getting checked in was awful. First there was a line to go through security (took me 30 minutes), then a line to register your wine if you were bringing any on (15 minutes), and then the worst - checking in with HAL. Computers continually “went down” and representatives disappeared. I was in line for over 50 minutes but people who arrived a half hour later than I were in line for 2 1/2 hours. Being a long cruise (30, 33, or 35 day options), most of the passengers were older and standing was very difficult for many. I am not sure how much of this was the port authority and how much HAL’s fault. Regardless, it could have been handled better.

...[/font]

I have no sympathy for the passengers bringing wine. In my opinion, they are making the check-in problems worse just to save a few bucks. The facilities and personnel used to account for the wine could have been better utilized to help check in the passengers.

Do you mean that ONE wine steward assigned to that task could have gotten 400 people on the ship faster had he been better utilized :confused:

When computers go down in today's technology, it usually means that the data server went down, or at least the data link to the server, rather than the computer terminals at the port customer counters. I would think that the server is HAL's responsibility.

igraf

How do those bringing on wine cause any issue? The wine check in is totally separate from the check in process. Save a few bucks? Really? Any 4 or 5* can get wine cheaper by ordering a wine package. Most of us bring on wine for the variety and quality, not to save a few bucks.

Do you mean that ONE wine steward assigned to that task could have gotten 400 people on the ship faster had he been better utilized :confused:
]

LOL that one wine steward was probably the most efficient part of the whole check in system in San Diego :p:D. He was pretty quick to write up those slips ;)

Nonsense. The steward accounting for the wine has nothing to do with checking in passengers. The check-in reps are land employees. The wine steward couldn't be reassigned to that position even if there was no one checking in their wine.

People bring wine for a lot of reasons, and saving money isn't the most important of them.

LOL that one wine steward was probably the most efficient part of the whole check in system in San Diego :p:D. He was pretty quick to write up those slips ;)

LOL Jacqui, you and I had enough slips to wallpaper a suite :D