Back to RCI after twenty years. How's the food?

Just booked the Serenade for s ten night Baltic cruise next year. How is the food onboard? We will be in the MDR most often due to a peanut allergy.

Also what is the vibe like onboard? We are used to Celebrity but RCI's pricing was too good to pass on this go around. We are a family of five--three kids 7, 7 and 13. We've booked a two bedroom family ocean view. Hopefully we will be pleased. Any input appreciated.

I've been on one cruise so my opinion may just be sheer amazement of the entire experience but.. I thought the food was great! Only one meal I didn't care for but that's because I apparently dislike lamb no matter who prepares it. Windjammer food was good, but MDR food to me was pretty great.

For the vibe, my experience was on the Freedom but it was fun! Music, friendly people, overall an exciting environment the entire cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you remember your food from 20 years ago, you are likely to be disappointed. The selection and presentation is nowhere near what it was 2 decades ago! No more "silverware"...no more china...no more 5 courses....no molded butter pats...no multiple crystal glasses...

Cruise dining is NOT how it used to be.

If you remember your food from 20 years ago, you are likely to be disappointed. The selection and presentation is nowhere near what it was 2 decades ago! No more "silverware"...no more china...no more 5 courses....no molded butter pats...no multiple crystal glasses...

Cruise dining is NOT how it used to be.

No more midnight buffet, no more white glove service, no more between course pallet cleansers.

There's usually a fair variety and servers are eager to please, but quality, presentation, and specialness is not what it used to be.

I'd say the food is decently good, on par with banquet events.

We've been happy with the food for the most part, of course it's different than when we started cruising in 1999 but I read the same complaints on Carnival & Celebrity. Everyone complains the food is not as good as it used to be!:D

Sherri:)

Just booked the Serenade for s ten night Baltic cruise next year. How is the food onboard? We will be in the MDR most often due to a peanut allergy.

Also what is the vibe like onboard? We are used to Celebrity but RCI's pricing was too good to pass on this go around. We are a family of five--three kids 7, 7 and 13. We've booked a two bedroom family ocean view. Hopefully we will be pleased. Any input appreciated.

Some videos that I have already published on food.

Embarkation Day lunch in the Windjammer

[YOUTUBE]-u20W48-QH4[/YOUTUBE]

Chops Grille - this was awesome!

[YOUTUBE]8Z_babm5mhI[/YOUTUBE]

Did you manage to snag Cabin 1054?

Did you manage to snag Cabin 1054?

I did. Took some doing. None of the agents knew about it so they couldn't provide information on it. That's why your video was so useful. The price was so low. Literally five to eight thousand cheaper than any other cruise line. Just hope RCI delivers on quality.

Twenty years? I'd say see for yourself. Not being rude but food is the worst subject to ask about. It is highly subjective and your palate can be totally different from someone else's. And if you can actually remember what your food tasted like 20 years ago as opposed to today I'd be very surprised, just saying....Enjoy the cruise and report back to CC about how YOU felt about the food....K.O.

Still happy with the food in our 10 years of cruising.

However:

The desserts seem to not be anything much to dream about.

It's great because It helps keep the calories down.:D

No really, none of the current RCI desserts have me wanting them.

It is what it is.

Safe travels.

Twenty years? I'd say see for yourself. Not being rude but food is the worst subject to ask about. It is highly subjective and your palate can be totally different from someone else's. And if you can actually remember what your food tasted like 20 years ago as opposed to today I'd be very surprised, just saying....Enjoy the cruise and report back to CC about how YOU felt about the food....K.O.

No more midnight buffet, no more white glove service, no more between course pallet cleansers.

There's usually a fair variety and servers are eager to please, but quality, presentation, and specialness is not what it used to be.

I'd say the food is decently good, on par with banquet events.

In the 20 yr since the OP has cruised on Royal there has been changes as LMaxwell lists regarding the food. The bigger issue is will those changes really matter and negatively impact the OP on their cruise. Memory plays tricks with our mind.....will the OP actually and honestly remember everything about the food on the ship from 20 years ago. Yes, they

will remember the over the top Midnight Buffet, now gone for the most part, they will realize their is no white glove service or pallet cleaners between courses. I can honestly say, in our cruise life, we had those things on our first few cruises -- but not having them as not negatively impacted our dining experience. If something we ordered was not to our liking, we requested something else....and the wait staff was more than happy to get it for us. Generally dining in the MDR for us, has been fine.

I just returned from Serenade on Friday and was on the ship in April. My opinion is the food on RCI is just average at best with a few hits and a lot of misses.

Breakfast is generally good in the Windjammer, I like the Eggs Benedict in the MDR. I like the salad bar for lunch in the MDR, but it is only open on sea days. Lunch in the Windjammer is repetitive and a lot of heavy food. I would have enjoyed lunch at Rita's, but it doesn't open until 2pm. Dinner in the MDR is the weakest link - just OK and food is rarely served hot.

Unfortunately, the Windjammer closes at 9 pm and after that it's only the Park Cafe for a snack - a limited selection of food,(I don't like RCI pizza.)

Did I go hungry - no. Did I enjoy it - overall, not really. I honestly think RCI food is the weakest link on their ships.

We just sailed after 16 years not sailing, this time Alaska on Radiance. The service in the MDR is just as good as before. No more flaming desserts being danced around the dining room, though. [emoji846]

I thought the food was almost as good as before, because I don't expect first class restaurant food from a ship that has to cater to thousands. No midnight buffets (we only went to look in the past anyway).

The specialty restaurants are better than the food I remember. I was hesitant to pay more for those, but frankly will eat specialty at least 2 nights each cruise from now on. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just returned from Serenade on Friday and was on the ship in April. My opinion is the food on RCI is just average at best with a few hits and a lot of misses.

Breakfast is generally good in the Windjammer, I like the Eggs Benedict in the MDR. I like the salad bar for lunch in the MDR, but it is only open on sea days. Lunch in the Windjammer is repetitive and a lot of heavy food. I would have enjoyed lunch at Rita's, but it doesn't open until 2pm. Dinner in the MDR is the weakest link - just OK and food is rarely served hot.

Unfortunately, the Windjammer closes at 9 pm and after that it's only the Park Cafe for a snack - a limited selection of food,(I don't like RCI pizza.)

Did I go hungry - no. Did I enjoy it - overall, not really. I honestly think RCI food is the weakest link on their ships.

Thanks for this. So my question now is, is the Celebrity Silhouette worth spending $200 more per day to get their more premium product?

Thanks for this. So my question now is, is the Celebrity Silhouette worth spending $200 more per day to get their more premium product?

That's hard to answer. Overall, I think Celebrity has better food and I like their buffet better; however, the Baltic can be expensive and I would probably rather spend the extra $200 per day on shore excursions. My tastes may not be the same as yours, so you may be perfectly happy with the food on Serenade.

I went back to your original post and see that you are sailing with children, so I would probably be inclined to stay with Serenade. I think there will be more activities that they will enjoy.

One thing Serenade does have is a wonderful area aft of the Windjammer with open air seating - if the weather is nice, it is a great place to eat.

Edited by mek

That's hard to answer. Overall, I think Celebrity has better food and I like their buffet better; however, the Baltic can be expensive and I would probably rather spend the extra $200 per day on shore excursions. My tastes may not be the same as yours, so you may be perfectly happy with the food on Serenade.

I went back to your original post and see that you are sailing with children, so I would probably be inclined to stay with Serenade. I think there will be more activities that they will enjoy.

One thing Serenade does have is a wonderful area aft of the Windjammer with open air seating - if the weather is nice, it is a great place to eat.

Thanks for this. I've also been pricing ncl but I think RCI will win out.

Just off the Liberty today! We enjoyed the food in the dining room but I agree it's not what it was in 1994, and not even what it was in 2004. It's OK. We ate in the Windjammer a few times, and the only thing truly disappointing there were the desserts--mostly two-inch squares of random tasteless things. They also had cookies...usually coconut ranger, oatmeal raisin, and sometimes chocolate chip. Come on RCCL...can't you do better? Even big pans of cobbler would be more enticing.