Why Does the Mast Grill Have Such Dedicated Followers?

need2cruisesoon

There are many adjectives, with the which you could use to describe the mast grill's offerings, however "great" would not be one of them.

That is of course your idea of a great burger is a frozen patty from an an overly mechanized distribution plant with bland tasteless tomatoes and lettuce topped with American "cheese". If you actually like real burgers you'll know that these imatations are only palatable after your 3rd drink.

And really, of all the food that you could attach national pride to, why did they pick overly processed American cheese? It's like rubber with fake yellow colouring! My favourite is that in the UK they have to specifically label it as "processed cheese food" as if they didn't actually believe it was edible!!

Edited by iMedic

In opposition to how it is in Toronto, we Americans like our cheese-like product wrapped in plastic or from an aerosol can, processed meat hotdogs, quality beer from St Louis, sugar added to our peanut butter(and just about everything else), deep fried anything, musk melons that we call cantaloupes, juice from a box, vitamins in the form of gummies, and our bacon from the belly of the pig(not rolled in cornmeal). Only the finest.

Absolutely the best burgers at sea. DW gets some awesome vegetarian burgers here and I munch down on those amazing hamburgers. The fries are fresh and always go well with the burgers.

One of the main reasons we chose Celebrity over Royal Caribbean is the food. We really missed the Mast Grill on our 2 cruises last month.

Nick

Absolutely the best burgers at sea. DW gets some awesome vegetarian burgers here and I munch down on those amazing hamburgers. The fries are fresh and always go well with the burgers.

One of the main reasons we chose Celebrity over Royal Caribbean is the food. We really missed the Mast Grill on our 2 cruises last month.

Nick

My OH is vegetarian but wouldn't have a veggie burger from the Mast Grill as they cook them on the same griddle as the meat ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many adjectives, with the which you could use to describe the mast grill's offerings, however "great" would not be one of them.

That is of course your idea of a great burger is a frozen patty from an an overly mechanized distribution plant with bland tasteless tomatoes and lettuce topped with American "cheese". If you actually like real burgers you'll know that these imatations are only palatable after your 3rd drink.

And really, of all the food that you could attach national pride to, why did they pick overly processed American cheese? It's like rubber with fake yellow colouring! My favourite is that in the UK they have to specifically label it as "processed cheese food" as if they didn't actually believe it was edible!!

Appears based on this thread that you have a very minority position. Burgers are in fact great.

Funny you should mention the UK label,,,since we seem to recall that was forced on the UK by the French and EU :). With Brexit you may not have those labels too much longer.

In the USA, it is quite common to use so-called "American Cheese" on burgers....although we personally prefer a decent cheddar or Blue Cheese. So, we will leave the Bangers and Mash or Mincemeat pies to you folks....but we know our burgers.

Hank

My OH is vegetarian but wouldn't have a veggie burger from the Mast Grill as they cook them on the same griddle as the meat ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that was not the case when we were on the Silhouette 3 years in a row. We always found the chef using a separate part for the vegetarian burgers (he even used separate utensils to flip them).

How unfortunate since DW (who isn't as crazy about burgers as I am) absolutely loves the veg burgers.

Because the burgers have great flavor!!! We don't generally go until after the first 3-4 days of a cruise...by then after eating all kinds of other more exotic dishes for days we are craving just a good burger and fries and this ALWAYS fits the bill...on a longer cruise we usually go 4 or 5 times and it's always good....on colder days we just get the burgers and go back and sit in the buffet area.....

So that's why they taste fantastic.

With a ice cold beer, it's our favorite dinning area.

We might have to label cheeselike food as such in the US now. I do know Velveeta is sold from the shelf, not the dairy case.

My husband enjoyed the Mast Grill burgers, but I never tried one.

Your post reminds me that the best burger of my 63 years was at a pub in Cornwall. It was perfection that I have unsuccessfully tried to duplicate, even buying local grass fed beef at $10 a pound, and high dollar English cheddar. I would return today if I could.

Rule Britannia!

My cardiologist and I are very happy to see they have turkey burgers now....maybe they always did but I never noticed. We don't do a lot of lunches on board but I think that may change on our upcoming trips....

I had a bad episode after eating the veggie burger. :eek:

We have always loved the burgers at the Mast Grill. Usually thick and juicy real beef. However, we were very disappointed on our cruise out of AMSTERDAM last month. The burger was tough, tastless and thin. We don't know if Celebrity has cut back and switched to another brand of frozen patty, gone to soy, or if it was the meat that they are provided while in Europe. Although, in the past, we have has tasty burgers at MG in both Europe, the Caribbean and Alsaka. Usually for a long cruise, we will eat at MG twice for lunch. Only went the one time this past cruise.:(

I recognise that as a Brit we are not the experts on what constitutes a good burger, but my experience of the Mast Grill is that they spoil a good burger by serving it in a cheap and nasty bread bun.

Top end burgers here are usually served in a toasted brioche bun, whilst this may not be authentic I think it makes the whole thing much tastier.

Deb

I am not sure I would use the adjective "great" to describe those burgers. Nor would I describe the beef as "think and juicy". But they are quite tasty.

I suspect what contributes to the great taste is soaking up all the grease in the pan after being cooked. Like a marinade. I also ask for the bun to be grilled with butter which contributes to the great taste. And the drink package adds to the experience!

Funny you should mention the UK label,,,since we seem to recall that was forced on the UK by the French and EU :). With Brexit you may not have those labels too much longer.

In the USA, it is quite common to use so-called "American Cheese" on burgers....although we personally prefer a decent cheddar or Blue Cheese. So, we will leave the Bangers and Mash or Mincemeat pies to you folks....but we know our burgers.

Hank

Hi Hank

We both live in Pa, ever try Hotseradish cheddar on your burgers, out of this world

Hank

Hi Hank

We both live in Pa, ever try Horseradish cheddar on your burgers, out of this world

although we personally prefer a decent cheddar or Blue Cheese.

Hank

Hank, we stop by the salad station in the buffet and get some blue cheese dressing and take it up there to put on our burger! A tad runny but it gets the job done for the taste buds! :D

EW

As I had mentioned, we only hit the mast grill once or so per sailing. The burgers and fries are "ok" and we always ask for them to be cooked fresh.

I wouldn't write home about them, but there is something about being out at sea with the wind in your hair, munching on BBQ junk food. It's fun, tasty and you can't beat the ambience.

I consider it part of the cruising experience, not to be missed.

Wow, that was not the case when we were on the Silhouette 3 years in a row. We always found the chef using a separate part for the vegetarian burgers (he even used separate utensils to flip them).

How unfortunate since DW (who isn't as crazy about burgers as I am) absolutely loves the veg burgers.

Thanks for that. Maybe we need to be more insistent on our next trip to ensure the veggie burger remains veggie. Out of interest is it a vegetable based burger, bean type or soya based? Always wanting to find more options for the OH who doesn't get the same dining experience as I do,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In opposition to how it is in Toronto, we Americans like our cheese-like product wrapped in plastic or from an aerosol can, processed meat hotdogs, quality beer from St Louis, sugar added to our peanut butter(and just about everything else), deep fried anything, musk melons that we call cantaloupes, juice from a box, vitamins in the form of gummies, and our bacon from the belly of the pig(not rolled in cornmeal). Only the finest.

This guy gets it :)

Sailing out of Southampton, England, we enjoyed the fish and chips that were served at the Mast Grill. That was the only Celebrity sailing we have been on that served that.

We had fish on our first X sailing. Alas no more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if they either have gluten-free buns or if you can get the burger "protein style" (with lettuce leaves as the "bun")? Likewise, do they have a dedicated fryer for the fries?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My Wife is Celiac, and as of last Nov, no GF buns. She did have her's 'open face' The GF pizza is outstanding.