Getting RCI to see sense with cabin allocation

Hi

Shortened version of the tale. I was due to go out on navigator of the seas on 10July but having had a heart attack two weeks ago, this isn't now possible.

In order to try and cheer up two incredibly sad/disappointed/worried 12 year olds I booked the Navigator going out on the 15 October. I thought I would splash out and book two junior suites on a guarantee basis (didn't fully understand what that meant at the time).

I have been allocated two cabins on deck 9 (which is fine) one is an inter connecting cabin and one isn't (bit further along the corridor). I thought, as the cabin grades are the same I would phone RCI and try to get them to swap the stand alone cabin for the other interconnecting cabin instead. That way, we have two inter connecting and the (stranger) person who has been allocated an inter connecting cabin that they probably don't want and would prefer the standalone cabin instead could get that.

However, the jobsworth that I spoke to on the phone was extremely unhelpful and of course ended the call with the infuriating "have a nice day" - well I would have if you had actually been human!

Considering the circumstances I thought they might have been a bit more sympathetic. Has anyone ever had this type of issue before? Has anyone managed to plead with a "higher authority" ? Any hints or tips?

Alternatively have you been allocated 9634 on the Navigator of the seas going out of Southampton on 15 October and would like a swap?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Would it be possible for you to upgrade (i.e. pay extra) to the unoccupied connecting JS?

Bob, I don't think that it's unoccupied. The OP wants Royal Caribbean to make the occupants of his connecting JS switch so that his two JS will be connecting.

Bob, I don't think that it's unoccupied. The OP wants Royal Caribbean to make the occupants of his connecting JS switch so that his two JS will be connecting.

Oh, thanks Carol, I missed that.

Hi

Shortened version of the tale. I was due to go out on navigator of the seas on 10July but having had a heart attack two weeks ago, this isn't now possible.

In order to try and cheer up two incredibly sad/disappointed/worried 12 year olds I booked the Navigator going out on the 15 October. I thought I would splash out and book two junior suites on a guarantee basis (didn't fully understand what that meant at the time).

I have been allocated two cabins on deck 9 (which is fine) one is an inter connecting cabin and one isn't (bit further along the corridor). I thought, as the cabin grades are the same I would phone RCI and try to get them to swap the stand alone cabin for the other interconnecting cabin instead. That way, we have two inter connecting and the (stranger) person who has been allocated an inter connecting cabin that they probably don't want and would prefer the standalone cabin instead could get that.

However, the jobsworth that I spoke to on the phone was extremely unhelpful and of course ended the call with the infuriating "have a nice day" - well I would have if you had actually been human!

Considering the circumstances I thought they might have been a bit more sympathetic. Has anyone ever had this type of issue before? Has anyone managed to plead with a "higher authority" ? Any hints or tips?

Alternatively have you been allocated 9634 on the Navigator of the seas going out of Southampton on 15 October and would like a swap?

Your only chance (and it is unlikely, but not impossible), is to ask your question on your Roll Call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191912

don't think you have any chance- They wouldn't let me swap to a disabled cabin in the same cat as the cabin I was assigned . (my condition had got worse since I booked and I had become a full time wheelchair user). The cabin was then assigned to a non-disabled cruiser (we met them on the cruise it was assigned to them only 2 months before sailing - about 2 weeks after my request.)- Madness :confused:

Hi

People pick a specific cabin for all kinds of reasons. Maybe that person picked that cabin on purpose and would be upset if they were moved. They shouldn't be made to move to accommodate what you want. I don't see it as getting them to see sense for them to move you unless that cabin was currently not booked.

OP - I think it would be very hard to get another customer to change their assigned room and more work for RC as you had guaranteed not assigned cabins. Maybe try and ring again and see if they have any other two connecting JS available. I phoned and emailed customer services 5 times. I was told different prices / things every time. I eventually got an agent who could assist me with my upgrade at a price I was happy with.

Hi

I would wait until boarding day, plan on arriving early and wait by the cabin until the folks in the connecting cabin to yours and ask them if they want to switch. I know that if the cabins were of a comparable location and I hadn't already unpacked I would be happy to switch cabins in the circumstance you describe. If they agree it's just a quick trip (hopefully) to guest services to make the switch.

I would wait until boarding day, plan on arriving early and wait by the cabin until the folks in the connecting cabin to yours and ask them if they want to switch. I know that if the cabins were of a comparable location and I hadn't already unpacked I would be happy to switch cabins in the circumstance you describe. If they agree it's just a quick trip (hopefully) to guest services to make the switch.

Sorry I don't think that is appropriate.

That is a great way to make people uncomfortable. What if they picked that particular cabin on purpose and don't want to switch. Yet do it anyway because the worry that they will have a PIA neighbor for the entire cruise because they wouldn't switch. And to just sit in the hallway waiting for them to arrive so you can get them as soon as they board. No.

It isn't the end of the world if he can't get it resolved before cruising. They will survive without connecting cabins.

#1 I would keep watching, several times a day, to see if any adjoining JS come up as available. Then ask to switch the applicable cabin(s).

#2 I don't think RC should move anyone to suit you, but I don't think it's terrible to ask those occupants, once onboard, if they would like to switch. Some people do not like connecting cabins with strangers; I know that I don't. If I was that person, I would switch with you.

Good luck!

(and I do agree that you will do fine without the connecting cabins. At 12 yo they are probably fine in their own cabin down the hall.)

Edited by marci22

I don't think he's being a 'jobsworth' because he won't move the people in the other cabin. They might have picked that cabin specifically for another reason.

That's unfortunately the chance you take in the UK under the UK T&C's booking a 'guarantee' cabin. They allocate it and there's no chance of moving it.

I booked a specific JS on one of my October Cruises, and another JS appeared on 'the hump'. I sent them an email asking would it be possible to move to this cabin if there was no charge. I was surprised when they emailed back saying they'd moved it FOC. Maybe because I'd booked a specific cabin originally.

It's unfair to expect RCI to move other people out of a stateroom they'd booked to suit your own needs.

Alternatively, see if they can move you to 9572 and 9570 OR 9272 and 9270. They're both available and right next to each other. Not connecting though.

Just out of curiosity why did you book the Guarantee Rate rather than pay the extra £50 per cabin and pick specific cabins at the JS Rate? That way you'd have all got the free drinks packages too, which would be far offset the £50 difference per cabin.

Maybe the price has changed from when you made the booking, but it's only £50 between it now!

Hi

I hope you are well on the way to recovery. :)

I don't know why somebody would pick a connecting cabin unless it was the only one available at the time. If it were me, I'd be happy to switch with you. But RCI would have to call the passenger in between and ask them, which they seem loath to do.

On the other hand, I remember a thread a couple of years back where somebody was booted out of their cabin, a coveted aft no less, without being consulted. I further recall that both parties were on CC and posted their experience - one happy, the other not so much.

And not to allow a disabled passenger to move within the same category to an accessible cabin is just wrong.:mad: I would have hung up and tried again, then escalated to Resolutions.

Edited by critterchick

I´m sorry OP, but I don´t think it´s RCI who Needs to see sense here, but you.

I wouldn´t be pleased if contacted By RCI about a cabin swith like this. I usually handpick my cabins. I would also feel very uncomfortable if I were approached By guests on Boarding day about a cabin Switch. I would definitely decline, but it would be an awkward Situation, that I would not appreciate to run into.

If the OP had booked a guarantee in the US a Change within the same category would be allowed (of Course only if cabins are available). In the UK however no changes to guarantees at all.

As for picking a connecting cabin if not needed, I´ve done that before. I don´t mind a connecting door and never had a Problem with it. If it´s a cabin in a Location I want to be in and there is no non-connecting cabin in the same spot I will book the connecting one.

If you needed connecting cabins you should have specified the cabins you wanted and pay a little extra if need be. No cruise line will move someone from a cabin they have picked out . I always get a cabin in the location I want - which means lower deck and aft because that s what I like. In the US many people will book a cabin class rather than a specific cabin hoping that too many people will ask for that class and someone will be a free upgrade.

I´m sorry OP, but I don´t think it´s RCI who Needs to see sense here, but you.

I wouldn´t be pleased if contacted By RCI about a cabin swith like this. I usually handpick my cabins. I would also feel very uncomfortable if I were approached By guests on Boarding day about a cabin Switch. I would definitely decline, but it would be an awkward Situation, that I would not appreciate to run into.

If the OP had booked a guarantee in the US a Change within the same category would be allowed (of Course only if cabins are available). In the UK however no changes to guarantees at all.

As for picking a connecting cabin if not needed, I´ve done that before. I don´t mind a connecting door and never had a Problem with it. If it´s a cabin in a Location I want to be in and there is no non-connecting cabin in the same spot I will book the connecting one.

I have to agree. I specifically don't book guarantees so that I can pick the cabin I want. It usually costs me a bit more, but I'm willing to pay it in order to have what I want. I would assume that the people in the cabin the OP wants also did that. It would be ridiculous for Royal Caribbean to call them up and ask for a swap to accommodate someone who booked a guarantee. In fact it would be ridiculous to call someone up and ask them to move ever. And for someone to wait outside the door and ask is very awkward. I wouldn't want to swap, but I'd feel very uncomfortable about saying no. If you have a need, like two adjoining cabins, or cabins next to each other, then you need to book in a non-guarantee cabin.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

I had thought of asking the people on boarding day but as many of you have pointed out it might be a bit awkward and I wouldn't like to be put in that position myself so I don't think I will do that. However, equally, I wouldn't have chosen an inter connecting room as a matter of choice and would struggle to see why anyone would. However, each to their own.

To answer the query about why did I choose a guarantee cabin. I didn't actually know what a guarantee cabin was at the time of booking but I will the next time!

I might phone them up and ask for an upgrade tomorrow and see what they say. If it is only £50 I'll certainly do that although I have my doubts.

I would wait until boarding day, plan on arriving early and wait by the cabin until the folks in the connecting cabin to yours and ask them if they want to switch.

I would feel very uncomfortable if someone approached me that way to be honest.

OP, did you tell Royal you needed connecting and/or adjacent cabins for your kids? I am wondering how they allowed you to book two 12 year olds in a guarantee category? Did you book 1 kid in your cabin and 1 kid in with your spouse to do this?

Guarantees usually (not always) are at a lower rate than picking a specific cabin. As such you are rolling the dice. Not sure I'd be calling anyone at RCI a "jobsworth" over this. If there are no more connecting or adjacent Junior Suites you may just be stuck with what you have.

Another option is to ask if they can downgrade you to connecting or adjacent regular balcony rooms or even oceaviews or promenade rooms and give you a credit for the difference. Have you tried explaining to RCI not just what you want, but what your actual desired outcome is; to have side by side rooms with the kids?

Somehow *I* missed some important details.

It is completely against Royal Caribbean's policies to allow two 12 year olds to be in their own cabin unless it is adjoining, connecting, or directly across the hall from their parents' cabin.

I therefore assume that you booked your spouse and one child in one JS and yourself and the other child in the other JS.

I would NOT put my 12 year olds "a bit further along the corridor"...........and neither would RC.

Is that how you booked, hobbyco?

I doubt the " the other person" would have specifically chosen an adjoining cabin, therefore they have probably been allocated it under the guarantee system too. I have friends who were allocated rooms on opposite sides of the ship. They asked Rci if they could contact the person in the rooms either side of these rooms, to ask if they would mind swapping. Rci got in touch with both and yes, one party did swap. So that story had a happy ending.

I would call again, and ask again.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Somehow *I* missed some important details.

It is completely against Royal Caribbean's policies to allow two 12 year olds to be in their own cabin unless it is adjoining, connecting, or directly across the hall from their parents' cabin.

I therefore assume that you booked your spouse and one child in one JS and yourself and the other child in the other JS.

I would NOT put my 12 year olds "a bit further along the corridor"...........and neither would RC.

Is that how you booked, hobbyco?

No I am in one with a 12 year old and my wife is in the other with a 12 year old. Not sure why some people have interpreted it any other way. My surname isn't McCann!! (cue some outrage.....)

I doubt the " the other person" would have specifically chosen an adjoining cabin, therefore they have probably been allocated it under the guarantee system too. I have friends who were allocated rooms on opposite sides of the ship. They asked Rci if they could contact the person in the rooms either side of these rooms, to ask if they would mind swapping. Rci got in touch with both and yes, one party did swap. So that story had a happy ending.

To be honest I kind of thought that. However, still don't really want any awkwardness and the traditional British "reserve" of not asking....

As I said already upthread. I´ve Chosen connecting cabins, even when I didn´t Need them. I see no downside to a connecting cabin at all and I Chose By Location and it doesn´t matter to me if it´s connecting or not.

For sure I would refuse a request like this from RCI and I would also let them know all the way to the top how disgusted I would be By the question.