Frustrated!

Here is my frustration Myself , Hubby , Oldest Son and his wife decide we are going on a cruise ..book our cabins and we all have 50 bucks per person OBC. Then my 17 yo decide to go , so we have to add her , which means we have to get a different cabin..We lose our OBC and aside from paying for our daughter our price goes up 400 . GRRRRR! THEN my father in law decides he wants to go. SO we take our daughter out and put her with GPA... we now literally are next door to our original cabin and our price goes up 75 bucks a person . GOOD NEWS FIL and Daughter have 25 OBC UNTIL my nephew decided to go .But Wait ! Not only do they lose their OBC. MY son and his wife make no changes to their cabin but lose their OBC ..... Can someone one explain the rational on why when adding ppl you get punished by losing OBC... I kinda understand when u shuffle rooms , although I still feel ripped off , I can at least buy the rationale. and if we book thru a TA would it be the same? ATthe end of the day this will not ruin my trip as we have never gotten any OBC or any perks ..just wanted to vent and see if anyone had a reasonable answer..

When you are adding people you are changing your booking and they are going to give you whatever the current rate for the room is including the current sale regarding OBC.

Same thing happens if you find a price drop. You may get the price drop if before final payment but you may lose OBC or other booking perks depending upon the current offer.

Here is my frustration Myself , Hubby , Oldest Son and his wife decide we are going on a cruise ..book our cabins and we all have 50 bucks per person OBC. Then my 17 yo decide to go , so we have to add her , which means we have to get a different cabin..We lose our OBC and aside from paying for our daughter our price goes up 400 . GRRRRR! THEN my father in law decides he wants to go. SO we take our daughter out and put her with GPA... we now literally are next door to our original cabin and our price goes up 75 bucks a person . GOOD NEWS FIL and Daughter have 25 OBC UNTIL my nephew decided to go .But Wait ! Not only do they lose their OBC. MY son and his wife make no changes to their cabin but lose their OBC ..... Can someone one explain the rational on why when adding ppl you get punished by losing OBC... I kinda understand when u shuffle rooms , although I still feel ripped off , I can at least buy the rationale. and if we book thru a TA would it be the same? ATthe end of the day this will not ruin my trip as we have never gotten any OBC or any perks ..just wanted to vent and see if anyone had a reasonable answer..

You pay what the going rate is at the time, bet there'd be no complaints if price had dropped.

You probably had cabins that had only two berths. When you wanted to add a passenger to your cabin, you had to change categories. That means entirely new pricing.

If you had been in a cabin that HAS an extra berth, and just added someone, your pricing would not have changed.

Well think of it this way, if you'd told the additional family members that they couldn't go because they were too late, then you would have felt badly leaving them home knowing they would have enjoyed being with the family. So, it cost you $75/person plus the $100 you lost in OBC (or $200 if you count your son's room), but you gained the opportunity to have a bigger family vacation building memories that are priceless. So a priceless vacation cost you an additional $500 or so (not including their cruise fare), that's not so bad.

Tell anyone else that if they want to come, they'll have to find a +1 and book their own separate room. And make sure next time you give everyone a deadline if they want to join your room, so you don't have to give up your pricing and perks to accommodate the procrastinators.

I think I understand what is going on but why did the son and his wife lose their OBC when they made no changes?:confused::o

Yes, if your son and daughter did not touch their reservation, nothing should have changed for them.

I am truly, truly sorry for your frustrations, but I have to say...I find this hysterical. A comedy of errors!!!! :D:D:D

Yes, if your son and daughter did not touch their reservation, nothing should have changed for them.

Maybe it was some sort of bring a friend promotion which was lost when the primary booking it was associated with was canceled.

Edited by Mark_K

Looks like you first booked this trip in March? So that would explain the changing prices, although prices can change hour to hour.

Look on your invoice/website and find your booking date. If your booking is older than 60 days, you can no longer transfer to a travel agent.

edit** -- looks like your sail date is August 28 so you are past final and can no longer transfer your booking to a TA.

Edited by marci22

Seems that what happened, as already stated, is that when you added your daughter you had to rebook into a different category cabin. So, new pricing. Then when she left your cabin you rebooked into a different cabin, so new pricing. If you had simply added another cabin to the reservation then only that cabin would have been at the new rate. Think of it like this. You buy a car on a special sale. Then before you take delivery you decide to buy a different model, one slightly bigger. Would you expect to get it for no difference in cost? Of course not. So then the sale ends but you decide to cancel your bigger car and buy the original model. But since the sale ended, the cost of the smaller car has gone up. You tell the salesman, "gee, 2 weeks ago, during the sale, the car was cheaper." His answer would be "yes, 2 weeks ago it was. But the sale is over and this is the current price." You'd understand that, wouldn't you? Well, a cruise is the same way. Sales come and go. If you upgrade or change a category you end up effectively "cancelling" your first booking and re-booking. The cruise lines just don't make you go through that paper work drill. But you get the new "booking" at the current price. This is how you are able to take advantage of a price drop. If before final payment the booking is 100% refundable. So if you called up and said you wanted to now book at the cheaper rate, (depending on certain rate rules), and they said no, you'd simply cancel the booking for a 100% refund and re-book under the new rate. So, the cruise line allows us to avoid that step.

No idea for this time, but next time, book cabins for everyone, and cancel when thy decide to not go. (and get it in writing, so they have to stay home...)

Good luck! Sometime I wish my extended family would want to go on more cruises....

Do you know the little girl who wasn't tall enough to ride the slides. :eek:

Haha... must have been the same family that berated the childcare staff at IKEA I went to because they wouldn't let her leave her non-potty trained child even though the rules say they have to be potty trained. She said it was unfair to her child.. lol...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

........( psssst....the cruise company is in the business of MAKING MONEY )....;)

No they are in the service industry. Here to serve my every need. 😂😂😂😂😂

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I would have told my other family members that they had to make their own reservations so it didn't affect my rates. I always use the line "poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part".

I feel your frustration, but it is misdirected at RCCL. The family's indecisiveness is the frustration, and of course, you are the one that has to straighten it all out.

I have been dragged through similar drama. I remember booking Hawaii with my daughter, who backed out on me. Since changing the cabin to a solo would have cost double, I gifted my sister the cruise so a simple name change was all that was required. Months went by, almost to final payment date, and my other sister decided she had to go. Of course the cabin did not accommodate 3, and the ship was nearly sold out. I searched for weeks, and of course when one came available it was over a $1000 more :mad:, and was officially the worse cabin I have ever been in, and, icing on the cake, my sister complained about it :rolleyes:.

I am always the planner, and I enjoy it, but I'm not the paid help! Out of the goodness of your heart starts to wear thin when your family drags you into their circus!

I searched for weeks, and of course when one came available it was over a $1000 more :mad:, and was officially the worse cabin I have ever been in, and, icing on the cake, my sister complained about it :rolleyes:.

You could have said, 'sorry, it's really too late'. Your sister sounds charming.