Prepaid Gratuities

dljones

But what does it matter if you pre pay or just leave the autos in place.

Makes no sense to me, what does it change?

And if there's no difference between pre paying and paying at the end why would they need to know?

I just like having it out of the way. It's $ spent either way, but like not having to worry with it once I'm there. Not sure why the need to know or not, doesn't matter to me if they know whether I prepay or not. I just know they work hard & deserve it.......now for some popcorn over here in the recliner to watch the show.:D

4000 posts since 2000 and you are now asking what gratuities are. Okay, I'll bite, what's the punch line?

I'm sorry. Just my dry sense of humor on a subject that has been asked over and over. I'm surprised any one responded.

I will be better in the future

My favorite excuse for not paying gratuities-- " we didn't eat in the MDR." Huh, are you kidding? Did you eat anywhere on the ship? Did anyone make your bed, give you fresh towels? I couldn't believe someone used this for an excuse to save a little $$.

We like to prepay our gratuities, hotel service charge, tips or whatever you wish to call it. I just like not having to worry about it at the end. I am glad CCL allows me to pay up front. Other cruise lines have added the charge on a daily basis & would not allow us to pre pay.

I've thought about this more and wondered about something...if you didn't pay grats before sailing and show up as a non auto tipper in the beginning on those sheets the cabin stewards have, when they pull grats from S & S accounts does it update to show the cabin stewards you tipped? :confused:

I sometimes pay when I get on board and sometimes I pay before sailing but in the end I'm still tipping so I guess it really doesn't matter! ;)

Or maybe Carnival will stop paying third world wages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Is it really any different than how restaurants pay their waitstaff? Certainly people aren't stiffing waiters and waitresses in US restaurants, are they?

Edited by Rh2458

Is it really any different than how restaurants pay their waitstaff? Certainly people are stiffing waiters and waitresses in US restaurants, are they?

Not sure Rh2458. I like to put cash in hand when I tip which I know makes it a bit unfortunate for those behind the scene. But like here in Vegas, its usually up to the bartender to tip out to the bar back, etc.

Not sure Rh2458. I like to put cash in hand when I tip which I know makes it a bit unfortunate for those behind the scene. But like here in Vegas, its usually up to the bartender to tip out to the bar back, etc.

Unfortunate is an understatement. Completely screwed is a better phrase.

I am like firemanbobswife, I am going to comment and make some popcorn.

What is sad is those that remove the tips because "it is more than we can afford with the price of the cruise and all" OR "I spent more than I planned at the bar so I have to make my S&S bill less" Yes I have been at guest services and heard both these excuses for removing tips.

I have been on the ship with my family of five and had a complete stranger that was sitting behind me at the pool tell me I should go to guest services and remove the tips for my kids. She said that is what she did and she didn't understand why you should have to pay tips for children. I nearly lost my mind. I was so mad I was speechless. The pure ignorance of some people is baffling to me. Flame away.:eek:

I have been on the ship with my family of five and had a complete stranger that was sitting behind me at the pool tell me I should go to guest services and remove the tips for my kids. She said that is what she did and she didn't understand why you should have to pay tips for children. I nearly lost my mind. I was so mad I was speechless. The pure ignorance of some people is baffling to me. Flame away.:eek:

How much you want to bet her children are responsible for all of the extra work they have to do when there's absolutely no consideration for the stewards what-so-ever and their children are taught the stewards are their maids. Can you IMAGINE what their room looks like....OMG!

What if you are not grateful? Should there be no gratuity.

Funny part is, some people out there will reach for any excuse to justify their cheaparses to remove gratuities....totally pathetic

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

We always prepay, give a little extra (50.00) to the steward at the beginning and the same at the end of the cruise. But we rarely eat in the MDR, if at all. I kind of feel bad for MDR personnel. We aren't there to give them extra. Usually not even sure who is who in there.

I no longer prepay. I had to cancel a cruise a few times and it would have been less monies to be refunded.

If you cancel, the gratuities are not completely returned to you? I understand the cruise fare policy, but gratuities should be returned. No?

If you cancel, the gratuities are not completely returned to you? I understand the cruise fare policy, but gratuities should be returned. No?

Yes, but why wait for a refund of your own money if you don't need to is the point the other poster was making.

To answer op's question, I neither know nor care if the crew knows.

I know I pre-pay for my own convenience. Because I believe the amount is less than the crew deserves and I know it is less than I would leave per meal, I add extra at the end and never fail to tip porters and room service.

What the crew does or doesn't know has never concerned me.