10 am flight Miami yeah or nea

purpleally

The one word simple answer is NO!

On each of our cruises that have disembarked in Miami, there has always been a problem, most notably the delay in getting the customs officials on board to clear the ship. On one trip in particular, we did not disembark until AFTER 10:00am and there was chaos as people knew they would miss their flights.

Also, unlike Fort Lauderdale where the airport is not very far from the port, the Miami airport is at least 30 minutes away when there is no traffic, but on one trip it took well over an hour to get to the airport and then we had to deal with the traffic at the airport.

I would not book a flight before noon.

gnomie :)

1230 flight departing Miami just got changed to 10 am

Do you think that's doable?

Absolutely agree that this is asking for a disaster.

If this is a schedule change made by the airline for something you booked yourself, you should be able to reject the change and get a free rescheduling since 1) it is a significant time change, and 2) no longer meets your travel constraints.

Usually you need to do this ASAP or they will assume/claim that you've accepted the change.

I agree that I would not want a flight that early. However, you do have the option of keeping your luggage with you and disembarking as soon as the ship is cleared. I would guess that you could get off of the ship within an hour of docking and you would be ahead of everyone that is waiting for their luggage to be unloaded and put into separate areas.

Okay - now I am worried. We have an 11:15 a.m. flight from Miami in November and more or less assumed that they would be anxious for us to get off the ship as there will undoubtedly be an inspection of the ship (first time the Explorer will be in the U.S.). Will the one hour difference help?

Okay - now I am worried. We have an 11:15 a.m. flight from Miami in November and more or less assumed that they would be anxious for us to get off the ship as there will undoubtedly be an inspection of the ship (first time the Explorer will be in the U.S.). Will the one hour difference help?

Oh Jackie, i would definitely be worried there, doesn't look promising. :eek:

Jackie,

Based on my experience and from what I've read on Cruise Critic, there are often delays clearing the ship after a transatlantic cruise. The transatlantic I was on did not allow passengers to leave the ship until around 10 am. If that happens in November, you would need a miracle to make your flight. I suggest either trying to get a later flight or changing your flight to Nov. 3 and staying overnight at the airport.

Jackie,

Based on my experience and from what I've read on Cruise Critic, there are often delays clearing the ship after a transatlantic cruise. The transatlantic I was on did not allow passengers to leave the ship until around 10 am. If that happens in November, you would need a miracle to make your flight. I suggest either trying to get a later flight or changing your flight to Nov. 3 and staying overnight at the airport.

Thanks Dave - I was not aware of issues related to transatlantic sailings. I think you are still on our November sailing. What time is your flight?

Edited by Travelcat2

I live very near MIA and lived in Miami prior to Palm Beach. This is a very busy port and you would be really pushing it and stressed out. During the week forget about it the Dolphin Expressway is busy going east and west and with an accident really forget about it. TSA in MIA is horrible even with pre-clearance. Don't chance it.

Thanks Dave - I was not aware of issues related to transatlantic sailings. I think you are still on our November sailing. What time is your flight?

Jackie, our flight is not until about 3:45 pm so we have plenty of time.

Greetings from South Beach, purpleally. In November, 2011, we returned on Marina's TA, and first trip to the US. Because of the lengthy inspection, we did not begin leaving the ship until after 11:00am. Many people had already run out of time to make their flights. This year, there is a building boom going on here, as well. At least change your early flight to a later one.

Mary

MIA is one of the American airports with an Amex Centurion lounge - if one has either an Amex platinum or centurion card, they are eligible to enter the lounge for free.

For those who have never had the pleasure of experiencing the Centurion lounge, consider them an upscale airport club with the amenities dependent on the location. When they are not crowded, they make the waiting time for a flight much more bearable and the bar selection also helps!

Instead of stressing out worried about whether or not one will be able to make a flight, I would rather be sitting in a club waiting for a plane than sitting in traffic watching the minutes tick by so very quickly.

gnomie :)

Greetings from South Beach, purpleally. In November, 2011, we returned on Marina's TA, and first trip to the US. Because of the lengthy inspection, we did not begin leaving the ship until after 11:00am. Many people had already run out of time to make their flights. This year, there is a building boom going on here, as well. At least change your early flight to a later one.

Mary

Interesting! So they did the inspection with the passengers on board...... never thought of that. Think I'm going to have to discuss changing flights with my DH over cocktails tonight..... hope he is in a good mood:D

gnomie1 - agree about the Centurion Lounge. Our current flights were booked partly because it was giving us 2 1/2 hours in Dallas where the best Centurion Lounge is. We have one in Seattle (small) and hear that the lounge in MIA is often very crowded. Will definitely spend time there if we change flights.

Hopefully you all have gotten the feedback that you need.

We have arrived back to Miami on many sailings. This includes crossings, voyages where we cleared immigration a day or more before (such as Key West), simple R/T Miami cruises and World Cruises.

My recommendation is always to not book a flight before Noon.

Could you possibly make one earlier than that? Yes.

Is there risk?

Yes.

I also would say the same thing about arrivals to other USA ports and Canada Ports too.

There are just too many things that can go wrong and immigration/customs is one of them.

What else?

Work slowdown taking the luggage off the ship.

Have I seen this happen?

Yes, more than once.

Even other issues such as a medical emergency and the ship arriving late.

As to Miami, many locals I know prefer Fort Lauderdale over Miami.

As a tourist, I prefer Miami and that includes the Airport and staying in Miami over Fort Lauderdale.

If I have to spend a few hours at the airport Miami is where I want to be. I can check in luggage earlier than at Fort Lauderdale. There is the Centurion Club that has been mentioned but also other airline Clubs. Lots of choices for dining. In January we stayed in Fort Lauderdale before a cruise and flew out of there for our return. Yes, the drive from the port was a bit shorter to the airport but the airport reminded me of almost a third world airport and really needs to be updated. By airport I am talking about the terminal area. With all of the tourism they really should get it into the 21st century.

Keith

I emailed a GM on Oceania and asked this question since he is familiar with "new" ships arriving in Miami for the first time. While there are no guarantees, he feels that our 11:20 a.m. flight out of Miami should be okay. So, we decided not to pay $400 and to leave things as they are. Will try not to worry but know that there are other flights that leave later than we might be able to change to in case we are delayed at the port.

Travelcat2, just have a back up plan just in case.

You do have a good chance of making it. Likely you will. The word "should" is the key.

I always say the most chilling thing about cruise is flying.

I wish we could just be beamed to and from the ship as they do on Star Trek.

Maybe someday. But not in our lifetime I am afraid.

Keith

Travelcat2, just have a back up plan just in case.

You do have a good chance of making it. Likely you will. The word "should" is the key.

I always say the most chilling thing about cruise is flying.

I wish we could just be beamed to and from the ship as they do on Star Trek.

Maybe someday. But not in our lifetime I am afraid.

Keith

Thanks Keith - always appreciate your input:)

No one mentioned the HORRIBLE line for a taxi at the airport. It is HUGE. I know a way to ameliorate it, but it incites riots. The airlines do not hold flights any more either. I think they have a time that you have to be there for sure before the flight.

I have taken my own luggage off to try to make an early flight, but Miami is HUGE and all those elevators.

This is asking for trouble.