No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

People keep mentioning that a lot of regular cruisers book before the 6 month time period so it doesn't matter. It does matter because if you request a price change within that 6 month period (when a lot of price drops may occur) you will lose your balcony discount if you reprice (according to what is being said).

So it affects more than people who book with less than 6 months until sailing.

It really affects anyone who is eligible for a balcony discount due to C&A level.

Due to the generous D+ balcony/suite discount we routinely add a week creating a b2b or upgrade our cabin within two months of sailing. The recent decision will diminish this opportunity for us.

I just got an email from RCI "we're celebrating you this week" with the C&A exclusive limited time offer to get the balcony discount of the next higher tier. Nothing about removing the discount for sailings within 6 months. We shall see.

Same here. If they were to eliminate, wouldn't RCL make an announcement to the general C&A population.

Same here. If they were to eliminate, wouldn't RCL make an announcement to the general C&A population.

Past experience and observation is that no, RCI does not normally make announcements to the general C&A population about changes to the C&A program, especially negative-impacting changes. As with this situation, it is done quietly and discreetly.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Past experience and observation is that no, RCI does not normally make announcements to the general population about changes to the C&A program, especially negative-impacting changes. As with this situation, it is done quietly and discreetly.

I agree. Then they await the response and decide how to proceed.

This is very true we do lose our balcony discount if we book less than 6 months. This was a benefit I used a lot this was a reason for being loyal to Royal. This was a benefit no one else had. Now if they take the benefit away as they are doing time to explore other lines. I haven't finished seeing the world yet. I was hoping to do it with Royal. It won't be long and the balcony discount will be gone all together.

Let's face it Royal can say one thing and then do whatever they want and we are still in the same position.

They can just make the balcony discount noncombinable with certain 'very special offers'. It's probably easier to say 'no discounts after this point' but it aggravates the customer more than saying, 'oh sorry, looks like our price is so low that other discounts are not combinable!' They do it now!

I don't know why they even opened up this can of worms, it was someone's rookie move.

On top of taking away the balcony discount has anyone checked out the new rules for bookings made on board? Request a new booking invoice for anyone of your cruises booked. The rules for making a change to them result in major penalties. I have no clue what they just did and why. I have a lot of cruises booked. There is one I would like to change to a longer sailing. I just don't feel like spending two weeks not that ship. Well after the hoops I would have had to jump through I just gave up.

But with these changes if I want to cruise less than 6 months out do it on another cruise line and don't bother booking on board. Living in Central Florida we are getting new ships other than Oasis in Port Canaveral. I have never been on a Disney cruise time to check it out along with the Epic.

Sad it only took me 5 years to make Pinnacle and now time to cruise another line.

On top of taking away the balcony discount has anyone checked out the new rules for bookings made on board? Request a new booking invoice for anyone of your cruises booked. The rules for making a change to them result in major penalties. I have no clue whatt they just did and why. I have a lot of cruises booked. There is one I would like to change to a longer sailing. I just don't feel like spending two weeks not that ship. Well after the hoops I would have had to jump through I just gave up.

But with these changes if I want to cruise less than 6 months out do it on another cruise line and don't bother booking on board. Living in Central Florida we are getting new ships other than Oasis in Port Canaveral. I have never been on a Disney cruise time to check it out along with the Epic.

Sad it only took me 5 years to make Pinnacle and now time to cruise another line.

It's not so much that there are new rules. They have actually just closed a loophole that was allowing people to take advantage of the NCC.

People were able to book a longer cruise and take the high OBC instantly and then change it to a shorter cruise. Same with booking a suit and then changing to an inside. That was never how the instant OBC was supposed to work and people were taking advantage of that loophole.

At the end of the day you are still getting exactly what you paid for and are not out any money, you just received less OBC.

Just called crown and anchor and according to their documentation it is still set to lose the balcony discount for less than 6 months out. But they are tracking who is calling to voice their concerns and it could make a difference. So if you haven't voiced with Royal do so. I nicely told Diamond plus desk that it will make a difference in my cruising.

It's not so much that there are new rules. They have actually just closed a loophole that was allowing people to take advantage of the NCC.

People were able to book a longer cruise and take the high OBC instantly and then change it to a shorter cruise. Same with booking a suit and then changing to an inside. That was never how the instant OBC was supposed to work and people were taking advantage of that loophole.

At the end of the day you are still getting exactly what you paid for and are not out any money, you just received less OBC.

I didn't know that had changed. When we booked onboard Liberty in February, they recommended we book a higher category to get the bigger OBC. I never would have done it otherwise.

I agree with that part but I am trying to change a 6 night balcony to a 7 or 9 night balcony and they are saying I will have to lose part of my deposit and have put down the full deposit required for the cruise I am trying to book to. I think they went from one extreme to the other.

I didn't know that had changed. When we booked onboard Liberty in February, they recommended we book a higher category to get the bigger OBC. I never would have done it otherwise.

Nancy that is why they changed it. Crown and Anchor did tell me a few months ago that they were trying to stop the Next Cruise from suggesting the higher categories for more OBC. But now that they told you to book the higher category, you will be the one that has to pay for the changes you make in your cruise.

I agree with that part but I am trying to change a 6 night balcony to a 7 or 9 night balcony and they are saying I will have to lose part of my deposit and have put down the full deposit required for the cruise I am trying to book to. I think they went from one extreme to the other.

Cruises from 5-7 nights are in the same category so nothing additional should be involved. Going to a 9 night might require additional deposit though.

I suspect that like most things the interpretation of this will depend on who you get on the phone. Have you tried calling back?

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just called crown and anchor and according to their documentation it is still set to lose the balcony discount for less than 6 months out. But they are tracking who is calling to voice their concerns and it could make a difference. So if you haven't voiced with Royal do so. I nicely told Diamond plus desk that it will make a difference in my cruising.

That goes against everything I've read since yesterday that indicates that the elimination of the balcony/suite discount program for sailings booked within 6 months is NOT going to change. Corporate has made a point of contacting those who wrote in (and have posted here) to let them know that the new change was first put on hold and subsequently removed.

Regarding your separate issue of changing a booking made onboard: if you booked onboard and then changed your booking, you would then be subject to the current pricing, deposit amount, etc.

Edited by travelgoddess1

This just started appearing on the guest booking invoice recently.

image_zpsxtfimxks.png

Obviously they are trying to stop people from making any changes to bookings. I think that is also the reason they want to eliminate the balcony discount for bookings under 6 months. Slowly closing up all loopholes. Congress should take a lesson from them. :p

That goes against everything I've read since yesterday that indicates that the elimination of the balcony/suite discount program for sailings booked within 6 months is NOT going to change. Corporate has made a point of contacting those who wrote in (and have posted here) to let them know that the new change was first put on hold and subsequently removed.

Regarding your separate issue of changing a booking made onboard: if you booked onboard and then changed your booking, you would then be subject to the current pricing, deposit amount, etc.

Posters should read this

Jackie, maybe you missed my post yesterday (and a few others posted,too). They have rescinded the "less than 6 months" loss of balcony discount. I was told this yesterday afternoon by Mr. Bayley's office.

Correct. It really is a good idea to go to the END of a thread to see what the latest news is. These kind of threads move fast sometimes.

I can just imagine the kind of complaints they got! CruiseCritic is just ONE source; think of the other social media!

Edited by pcur

Send email. Many of us received calls from corporate. I did, yesterday. Write to:

Mbayley@rccl.com