No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

This should be interesting to see what becomes of it all.

I would have no objection if they left the 25.00 increase for Pinnacles in place starting now;):)

Are you kidding????

They are sitting there and saying, "Ok, fine. You don't like the new balcony discount policy, eh? Then we're not going to give you damn Painicles an extra $25!!! HA! Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!"

:rolleyes: :p :D

It might be a good argument except for one point -- C&A balcony discounts did not exist when the only available ships had few balconies, ie, Vision Class and older. I can't quote you the date when balcony discounts were created, but it was after Voyager Class and above were built. My best guess is that around the time Diamond Plus tier level was created, in 2004, is when the discounts first appeared, maybe even later.

TG1 or Cruisenfever....my historians! ....do y'all know the approximate date the "savings certificates" were terminated? Was that around the same time the balcony discount was instituted? Or did we have them both fir awhile? I think I remember they terminated all of the "combinabilty" back in 2008?

Just off the phone with C and A and were told that yes the policy has been postponed and also the "Customer Appreciation" Promo has been postponed as well.

Why would they need to postpone customer appreciation week??? What does one have to do with the other??? Other than confirm my suspicion that they were only doing it so they could put out that flyer with a "positive spin" in order to "slide in" the negative news!

TG1 or Cruisenfever....my historians! ....do y'all know the approximate date the "savings certificates" were terminated? Was that around the same time the balcony discount was instituted? Or did we have them both fir awhile? I think I remember they terminated all of the "combinabilty" back in 2008?

They overlapped. And yes, they used to be combinable. Ah, the good old days: balcony discount, coupon/savings certificate discount, shareholder's OBC............<sigh>

Why would they need to postpone customer appreciation week??? What does one have to do with the other??? Other than confirm my suspicion that they were only doing it so they could put out that flyer with a "positive spin" in order to "slide in" the negative news!

Bingo

Wow, I get slammed when I say PE is to long a drive from PC. :eek:

My POV.....I can drive to PC, but I am 30 minutes from PE and an hour from Miami.....so why would I drive 3 hrs to PC. Not saying I couldn't just wouldn't.....it take something awfully special for us to do it....and just can't imagine what that would be.....Well -- maybe a FREE cruise given to me by Royal.

As it goes, everyone has their price....LOL.

Now it will be interesting to see if they make any further changes before the Presidents cruise or wait until after. Either way I'm sure Mr. Bayley will be getting an earful on that cruise.

Several years ago I met the VP of Food and Beverage for the entire fleet (Royal, Azamara, Celebrity) on an airplane. We had a wonderful chat and it was mentioned to me that one of Mr. Bayley's 'big things' was brand loyalty of its' cruisers. I have to image that the 'fervent amount of emails' to the various addresses that were made public on this issue, must have been unrelenting. THAT IS GREAT, because consumer's voicing their displeasure, so that those 'bean counters' can translate it into 'lost revenue' making their heads spin. New cruisers of course can make up for lots of it, but NOT all of it.

ON that cruise, he will want some 'earplugs'.

Sorry, SG, I don't keep close track of the dates. I remember that savings coupons were still available in 2009. My best guess is January, 2011, around the time they changed from cruise credits to cruise points.:o

It's like hiding a pill in your pet's favorite food so that he will swallow it -- that is my guess as to why Member Appreciation Week was created and subsequently scuttled, as you said. :rolleyes: (And it's Member, not Customer, which would include non-C&A first-time cruisers.)

That would not surprise me either. Note no one said it has been cancelled , just postponed.

I think they are going to seriously review what their overall goal is and try to find a way to achieve it, and still give 'loyal cruisers' something to want.

Someone I know high in the C&A department emailed to tell me that the change in discount was not moving forward. They did not use "at this time" nor did the word 'postponed'. This person has always been honest and straightforward with me in the past.

Edited by Paulette3028

Sorry, SG, I don't keep close track of the dates. I remember that savings coupons were still available in 2009. My best guess is January, 2011, around the time they changed from cruise credits to cruise points.

I'm not an historian, but I know the savings certicates were available at least until late summer 2013. I was looking for a certicates for a transatlantic at that time.

Several years ago I met the VP of Food and Beverage for the entire fleet (Royal, Azamara, Celebrity) on an airplane. We had a wonderful chat and it was mentioned to me that one of Mr. Bayley's 'big things' was brand loyalty of its' cruisers. I have to image that the 'fervent amount of emails' to the various addresses that were made public on this issue, must have been unrelenting. THAT IS GREAT, because consumer's voicing their displeasure, so that those 'bean counters' can translate it into 'lost revenue' making their heads spin. New cruisers of course can make up for lots of it, but NOT all of it.

ON that cruise, he will want some 'earplugs'.

I'm actually wondering if Mr Bayley was even aware of this change prior to receiving the mass amounts of e mails or if this was approved by someone below him.

I remember when he took over at RCI Following a period of time that RCI was without a president there were many decisions being made that appeared to be reversed once he took over.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Sometimes it is interesting to imagine that you were in a position to put together the 'next Loyalty Program' for Royal. As I sit back and think about it, and try to be realistic as to what would make sense for both the cruiser and the company.....some ideas come to my mind. I will just share them. We know what they were planning to do, that has now been 'set aside'.

What if Royal went to an totally new incentive program. Let's pretend it was a percentage off system.

Example: Gold level - 2%, Platinum - 3%, Emerald - 4%, Diamond - 6%, D+ - 7%, Pinnacle - 8%. DH and I just used this basis for a cruise (9 nighter in a balcony cabin) we are looking at for 2018. The numbers came out very nice for the sailing. Using the pricing that we have for this cruise Gold, Platinum and Emerald members lost a few bucks, Diamonds were essentially the same, D+ and Pinnacles earn a nicer reward (as it should be with the greater amount of cruises they have taken).

In my opinion it would be a better program if they incentivized every cabin booked regardless of type of cabin, therefore giving incentives to those that book insides or OV -- making the savings very much in the hands of the cruiser.

Make it combinable with any sale being offered (eg BOGOHO, 30% off, GGG or whatever else they have).

I almost think they could lower the percentage by a point and allow the combination of offers again with Shareholder Credit, for example. Right now the Shareholder Credit is almost unusable unless you pay full price (and who really does).

Just musing.....

Edited by Paulette3028

I'm not an historian, but I know the savings certicates were available at least until late summer 2013. I was looking for a certicates for a transatlantic at that time.

We didn't start cruising again until 2011 and I remember them being available for a couple of years after that so I would agree with your 2013 timeline.

Sometimes it is interesting to imagine that you were in a position to put together the 'next Loyalty Program' for Royal. As I sit back and think about it, and try to be realistic as to what would make sense for both the cruiser and the company.....some ideas come to my mind. I will just share them. We know what they were planning to do, that has now been 'set aside'.

What if Royal went to an totally new incentive program. Let's pretend it was a percentage off system.

Example: Gold level - 2%, Platinum - 3%, Emerald - 4%, Diamond - 6%, D+ - 7%, Pinnacle - 8%. DH and I just used this basis for a cruise (9 nighter in a balcony cabin) we are looking at for 2018. The numbers came out very nice for the sailing. Using the pricing that we have for this cruise Gold, Platinum and Emerald members lost a few bucks, Diamonds were essentially the same, D+ and Pinnacles earn a nicer reward (as it should be with the greater amount of cruises they have taken)

In my opinion it would be a better program if they incentivized every cabin booked regardless of type of cabin, therefore giving incentives to those that book insides or OV -- making the savings very much in the hands of the cruiser.

I almost think they could lower the percentage by a point and allow the combination of offers again with Shareholder Credit, for example.

Just musing.....

I would love it if it were a % off system available on all cabins and the % taken off the final fare price after all other discounts.

This would also benefit those of is in other countries whose $ is weaker in relation to the US $. Currently we are paying a 30-35% premium over fares in US$ yet we still receive the same balcony discount only it is in CDN$.

We didn't start cruising again until 2011 and I remember them being available for a couple of years after that so I would agree with your 2013 timeline.

And when they went away there were supposed to be these CAS Savings that would change frequently. If you go into the Member Area and Click on the Crown and Anchor Exclusive Rate tab there are 776 of them:eek:

I checked two and the rates while logged in and not logged in are the same. I guess they are calling the 30% their Exclusive rate even though those are available to anyone.

I don't recall if there really ever were any savings after the certificates stopped

Edit- At the very least they should give the Pinnacles the $25 extra discount,IMHO

Edited by molly361

Savings certificates were officially eliminated at the time of the March 2014 onboard booking/next cruise (whatever you want to call it) overhaul.

Supposedly they were going to add C&A discounts on specific sailings directly in the booking engine. I remember seeing some at first, but none since they started using all the "sale" promo marketing.

I'm actually wondering if Mr Bayley was even aware of this change prior to receiving the mass amounts of e mails or if this was approved by someone below him.

I remember when he took over at RCI Following a period of time that RCI was without a president there were many decisions being made that appeared to be reversed once he took over.

I can't imagine that this did not have lots of eyes looking over it before it went out.....including his. Vicki Freed, who oversees Sales and Marketing, for sure had to be a part of this, and she and Bayley must be on the same wavelength. Perhaps, they have 'drank too much of the koolaid' of the theory that most cruisers book prior to 6 months and it won't matter much.

How surprised they were with the flood of emails from cruisers.

And when they went away there were supposed to be these CAS Savings that would change frequently. If you go into the Member Area and Click on the Crown and Anchor Exclusive Rate tab there are 776 of them:eek:

I checked two and the rates while logged in and not logged in are the same. I guess they are calling the 30% their Exclusive rate even though those are available to anyone.

I don't recall if there really ever were any savings after the certificates stopped

Edit- At the very least they should give the Pinnacles the $25 extra discount,IMHO

That's what I miss most about the new website (I still call it new even though it is what..2 years old?) they eliminated the ability to search for senior, military, residence and C&A rates.

I don't understand why they would want them hidden. You would think that because they are offering the discount they need to sell cabins and that they would want people to be able to see those deals easily.:confused:

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Savings certificates were officially eliminated at the time of the March 2014 onboard booking/next cruise (whatever you want to call it) overhaul.

Supposedly they were going to add C&A discounts on specific sailings directly in the booking engine. I remember seeing some at first, but none since they started using all the "sale" promo marketing.

March 15, 2014 to be exact and along with the elimination of the C&A Savings Certificates, balcony discounts on cruises of 3-5 nights were also eliminated at the same time.

Edited by cruisenfever

March 15, 2014 to be exact and along with the elimination of the C&A Savings Certificates, balcony discounts on cruises of 3-5 nights were also eliminated at the same time.

You can still get balcony discounts on cruises 3 -5 days. It must have gotten re-instated at some point

Edited by molly361

That's what I miss most about the new website (I still call it new even though it is what..2 years old?) they eliminated the ability to search for senior, military, residence and C&A rates.

I don't understand why they would want them hidden. You would think that because they are offering the discount they need to sell cabins and that they would want people to be able to see those deals easily.:confused:

Try this.....After you choose a date.....and before you choose cabin category......there is a drop down menu on the right that says "See if you qualify for exclusive rates". (sorry for the small picture).

2021907383_CArate.jpg.22484877b17442d67666031dbfda4de4.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Whatever their supposed reason for postponing Customer Appreciation Week I'm sure Mr. Bayley was not pleased to have a firestorm created a month before the inaugural President's cruise. Whether they try to institute the new 6 month policy after the President's cruise remains to be seen. This way he won't have to hide in his cabin all week. LOL.

After you can choose a date.....and before you choose cabin category......there is a drop down menu on the right that says "See if you qualify for exclusive rates". (sorry for the small picture).

[ATTACH]392074[/ATTACH]

Yes, but before the change you could, from the general search function select resident (or senior or whatever applied) and it would bring up a shortened list if only the cruises that we're offering the particular discount that you had selected. Usually a list of about 20 instead if the 700 and change that it currently brings up.