Transatlantic East or West???

pendan

We are considering a Transatlantic Cruise to or from the Mediterranean / Florida. To those of you who have done this, please share your insight into the pluses and minuses of traveling back to the States in late Oct /early Nov, vs from the States in late April / early May.

I would appreciate your insight on this as well as anything else you might add for such a cruise as this is new geography for us.

Thanks you,

Alan

There are several threads on this exact topic. Recommend you do a search of this forum. Great info and good debates.

For example here is one. There are tons more

Crossing the Atlantic either way

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2052971&share_tid=2052971&share_fid=24703&share_type=t

Edited by Tommy3putts

Hi Alan, welcome to Cruise Critic!

My wife and I have done 4 TAs, 3 westbound and 1 eastbound.

As Americans, we prefer the westbound. We like to fly over to Europe early and tour there, then sail home, with a bunch of 25-hour days along the way. On the eastbound TA, we found that losing an hour a day for so many days became tiring, even though it does not sound like much. The eastbound TA was our first TA, so perhaps we might do it "better" if we sailed in that direction again, but I think it would have to be a special itinerary.

Our westbound TA on the Silhouette two years ago out of Civitavecchia to FLL was essentially a Med cruise followed by a wonderfully relaxing crossing. We loved it.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

We do both, but prefer the Westbound - Med to Florida. For one thing, you get 6 25-hour days, and you upload the ports at the beginning of the cruise and cross the pond to relax at the end of the cruise.

If you live in the US, the westbound is by far the better choice. It's much easier to be sailing that direction with the time changes than the opposite way.

When I did my eastbound TA, every night had another hour added onto it so that I was going to sleep later & later at night (or even early morning) and waking up later & later in the day. I felt like I had wasted the whole morning sleeping. It got a little frustrating. Actually, I felt more jet lag traveling eastbound than I did flying from the west coast of California many times to England, Switzerland and Italy.

I've done two TAs - one east and one west. Frankly, I don't remember the east... I was 7 :) But west was great. I agree with the time change comments. Would be much less jarring going westbound.

The biggest concern I have with eastbound is that I understand the weather travels with you. So if you start out with bad weather, you could have that all the way across. Especially in April when weather can be volatile. I almost booked an eastbound a few years ago, but cancelled. Tracked it anyway, and it left Florida in stormy weather. I just imagined it being stormy for 8 days across.... :eek:

At least with westbound, you'll be passing through any number of weather systems, so even if there is a bad spell, it shouldn't last long.

The other difference is temperature progression. The Oct/Nov westbound will start out pleasant (upper 50s/low 60s) and get progressively warmer (low 80s). The Apr/May eastbound will start out warm (low 80s) and get progressively cooler (upper 50s/low 60s). Might not matter to you. Or it might.

Done 16 TAs, half east- and half west-bound.

The itinerary is much more important than the direction. Have no need for 25 hour days (and 23 hour days not a problem) so that is not a factor. Gaining or losing 5 or 6 hours over a 10 or 11 day period no issue, arrive with no jet lag either way.

Do the itinerary that best fits your needs.

We've done both, and I much prefer going west, even though we live in Europe and have a long flight with jet lag at the end. The 25-hour days are wonderful. I love staying up late and having a lie-in the next morning. On the east-bound Transatlantics, we're routinely skipping breakfast by the end, because it's a struggle to get up in the morning. I should add that neither of us are morning people anyway. :o

We have done one of each and both were great. We did both in conjunction with another cruise (B2B). If you do the West bound, you enjoy the main cruise first, then have the TA to relax more.

The extra hour in the day is of some benefit, but not a big deal to me.

We have a Westbound on Eclipse booked for next year from Southampton to Miami that stope in Boston, NYC and Bermuda. That should be a good one.

Done 16 TAs, half east- and half west-bound.

The itinerary is much more important than the direction. Have no need for 25 hour days (and 23 hour days not a problem) so that is not a factor. Gaining or losing 5 or 6 hours over a 10 or 11 day period no issue, arrive with no jet lag either way.

Do the itinerary that best fits your needs.

Multiple time changes don't bother us either. We prefer eastbound because they are usually cheaper than westbound.

We have done one Eastbound and in the Fall a Westbound. The thing I like about Westbound is that it is port intensive the first week, then casual and relaxing the second week as you cross the pond. Eastbound is the opposite.

We have done one Eastbound and in the Fall a Westbound. The thing I like about Westbound is that it is port intensive the first week, then casual and relaxing the second week as you cross the pond. Eastbound is the opposite.

Unfortunately, the port-intensive part starts when you are the most tired from the flight to Europe - unless you arrive several days prior to the cruise.

Multiple time changes don't bother us either. We prefer eastbound because they are usually cheaper than westbound.

Ding..Ding...Ding...we have winner. If cost is any consideration to you, the best deals are eastbound. Of course, I've only done two, and they were both eastbound. I have my 1st westbound booked for next year.

I didn't feel the time changes were a big deal, and I have to add you are certainly well rested by the time you hit the ports :).

I have done one of each, preferred the westbound because I did not have a transatlantic flight at the end of my cruise.

I do look at the itinerary as well. The east bound was very port intensive at the end of the cruise followed by a long transatlantic flight. The west bound cruise had our stops spread out because we had stops in Europe, then Iceland and then Eastern Canada. It was nice to only have a 3 hour flight home at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Grayce

I've done 4 transatlantic cruises - 2 in each direction - and would state my preference for the Westbound as well. I like having the port intensive portion of the holiday at the beginning, then relaxing into the longer days and slower pace of life of multiple days at sea. No long flight at end to get home allows me to end the holiday truly recharged! I also find the weather on crossings beginning/ending in Mediterranean ports to be warmer than the more northerly crossings, which means a better chance of some sunbathing for at least 1/2 the cruise or more.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We are considering a (WHOLE BUNCH OF) Transatlantic Cruise(s) to (and) from the Mediterranean / Florida.

Alan

Just thought I'd help you out a little and correct your post... :eek: :D ;)

Eight transatlantic cruises and two transpacific cruises in the last 5 years, both directions on both oceans...

They are the most enjoyable, relaxing, and reasonably priced vacations you can get!

GO THERE!!! DO THEM *A*L*L*!!! ENJOY! :)

Edited by teecee60

We've done both, and I much prefer going west, even though we live in Europe and have a long flight with jet lag at the end. The 25-hour days are wonderful. I love staying up late and having a lie-in the next morning. On the east-bound Transatlantics, we're routinely skipping breakfast by the end, because it's a struggle to get up in the morning. I should add that neither of us are morning people anyway. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums