Sailing in Allure, enough time from port to FLL?

Will be sailing first time in Allure from Fort Lauderdale! Ship is scheduled to return to port at 6:15 AM, would it be enough time to catch a flight at 8 AM at FLL airport with luggage to check in an hour prior to the flight? Airport is close to port (map), though we never sailed in ship this size, and not sure about the traffic situation from port to FLL airport.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Everything involving debarkation needs to go off without any issues for you to make a 8am flight. I have done a flight at 10am from FLL and I was nervous about that. It is a very short drive from the port to the airport but in my opinion it is not worth the risk and more importantly the stress involved with trying to make a flight that early.

Will be sailing first time in Allure from Fort Lauderdale! Ship is scheduled to return to port at 6:15 AM, would it be enough time to catch a flight at 8 AM at FLL airport with luggage to check in an hour prior to the flight? Airport is close to port (map), though we never sailed in ship this size, and not sure about the traffic situation from port to FLL airport.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Flight is too early!

Edited by clarea

We often push the envelope of sanity when booking flights home (by that I mean booking very early flights) and Port to FLL some of the quickest trips that there is at any port.

Having said that, 8 am is really pushing it as everything has to go just right. You never know upon return if there might be a hiccup with customs or with clearing the ship etc.

we have made 10 am flights many times out of FLL but any earlier than that is very risky. Consider the alternative if you did miss the 8 am flight before you lock-and-load the tickets

You are definitely pushing the envelope with an 8am flight, but disembarking Oasis/Allure is much different from disembarking other ships, largely due to their earlier scheduled arrival time.

It's really hard to recommend an 8am flight, but if your risk tolerance is high I can tell you that I have successfully made an 8:30 flight after Oasis/Allure with plenty of time to spare, and there have been numerous posts from others who did likewise (I do also have the advantage of priority check in with my airline of choice, and TSA PreCheck). If there are no delays with the ship arriving in port and clearing customs (and usually there aren't) and you self disembark, it's possible. There are definitely risks though; a minor delay getting off the ship and you could miss the window to check your bags, etc. Definitely have a back-up plan in mind if you decide to attempt this.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

I would change it to 08:15 AM to be on the save side!:D

I was going to ask a similar question. Do you think it's possible to make a 10:25 flight out of FLL? Originally we couldn't get on a flight out of FLL, so we have one booked out of Miami. American now added a flight and it would be much easier to leave from FLL. Just want to make sure we have enough time.

I was going to ask a similar question. Do you think it's possible to make a 10:25 flight out of FLL? Originally we couldn't get on a flight out of FLL, so we have one booked out of Miami. American now added a flight and it would be much easier to leave from FLL. Just want to make sure we have enough time.

I would have no problem with a 10:25am flight out of FLL for an Oasis/Allure arrival.

No. Planning on doing that verges on the insane.

Is there a possibility that you could make it? Yes.

Is it worth the risk? Not in my book!

:eek:

Ship could be cleared late, one accident on way to airport tangles traffic for miles, Many a person has missed a flight due to traffic. No way would I book a return flight before 11 am

Thanks for the overwhelming replies overnight, I'll not take the chance and will look for later flights. I was looking for 8 am flight because the other direct flights out of FLL or MIA would not be until about 8 pm for us, and way more expensive. Now I have to look for a way to entertain the family in the meantime besides breaking the wallet :)

Chuck

Thanks for the overwhelming replies overnight, I'll not take the chance and will look for later flights. I was looking for 8 am flight because the other direct flights out of FLL or MIA would not be until about 8 pm for us, and way more expensive. Now I have to look for a way to entertain the family in the meantime besides breaking the wallet :)

Chuck

It might be cheaper to take that 8 am flight the next day and just get a hotel for one night. Worth looking into if your schedule is a little flexible.

I would not risk the 8 am.

Options for the Pm flight and not breaking the bank.... Rent a car for the day (usually can find form under $50, take a scenic drive to the Everglades or beaches, there are a few free nature centers with sea turtle rehab (gumbo Limbo nature center in Boca Raton) lots of options...

Take the 8am flight the next day and get a reasonable hotel,and make it a beach day....

But I would not put the family throu the stress of the 8 am flight...

while the ship MIGHT arrive at 6:30, assuming no delays of any kind.... keep in mind that the ship has to clear customs before passengers can leave. Also Customs needs to be set up and ready for passengers... and you are among hundreds trying to leave early.

I would recommend a noon flight, otherwise if you are like me you will be stressing, beginning the day before arrival as you plan how to get all your stuff off quickly.... don't do it.

No. Planning on doing that verges on the insane.

Is there a possibility that you could make it? Yes.

Is it worth the risk? Not in my book!

:eek:

Verges, I think it slipped by insane, insane jumped on its back and is riding along! But then you qualify it nicely. I thought this might be another 9:30 to 10:3o question. I do miss the golden days when airlines honored each other's tickets, and there were no penalties for changing. It was good while it lasted.

I would have no problem with a 10:25am flight out of FLL for an Oasis/Allure arrival.

I'm going to roll the dice and take a shot even though knowing there is probably a 24% chance we don't make it . Just booked a flight at 9:40am:eek:

There is a reason it is only $101. If we don't make it hopefully we can catch a later flight. If not we will have another day in FLL.

Bill

I'm going to roll the dice and take a shot even though knowing there is probably a 24% chance we don't make it . Just booked a flight at 9:40am:eek:

There is a reason it is only $101. If we don't make it hopefully we can catch a later flight. If not we will have another day in FLL.

Bill

Just be at the front of the self-assist line to depart.:)