What is the appeal or value of Johnny Rockets cover charge?

We don't "love it", but it is a nice change of pace for a lunch one day during a cruise. It's always pretty full in my experience, so I guess they've found a price point where they still stay pretty full, keep all the kids from camping out in there, and help out the bottom line a bit.

I also enjoyed the free JR breakfast on Oasis, but so did everyone else, so you had to get there early... Would not be surprised if they start a nominal cover charge then too...

Not sure how it got to be so high since it never seemed to be in high demand after the cover was in place.

I agree, it was a $3.95 cover charge back in May of 06. That was our first cruise so we paid it, even though we have JR's here. Our next cruise was Majesty and freedom which both have JRs. We were gold and got one coupon in our coupon books eliminating the cover.

Not trying to entice flamers just wondering....

Recently back from Majesty of the Seas, and saw the Johnny Rockets restaurant, with a $6.95 cover charge. Other than shakes, what benefit is there from paying the cover? Our group of 4 didn't go in, since we couldn't justify the $28 charge, so I'm asking in advance of the next trip.

I understand the food quality is better, burgers, fries, onion rings, and unlimited, but all the other food was unlimited as well.

So just asking. I did read on here that you don't have to pay cover if you just want to get a shake to go, which would have been nice to know. And with premium drink package, free soft drinks wouldn't have mattered either.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I agree....I've been on ships where there is a cover charge but the food is usually many steps higher than average: lobster, french food, etc. I wouldn't go to Johnny Rockets for any cover.

Porcelain Palace

You beat me to it, I have one 600 yards away from home. This was a Columbus creation, I remember the original Poncho's other reference, Skyline, I have about 5 with 10 miles, Gina and I can have Dinner for $10.

As several have stated, taste and value are subjective and I guess that is why the larger ships have so many different dining options.

Personally we always make a point of going to JR's at least once a cruise and sometimes twice depending on what we feel like. We do not have a JR's on land close to us, but I have gone to ones on land when visiting other places. I have not been impressed with the land restaurants at all. However we love the ones on the ships! (Maybe just the ocean air :D )

I am in LOVE with their apple pie with ice cream and would eat there just for dessert!

The value to me (although it appears the cover charge has risen again since we last sailed on a RCI ship with a JR's) is that for at least once on a 7 night cruise I can get a decent burger (yes I know that is subjective) as opposed to the disgusting excuse for a burger served in the WJ at lunchtimes.

This also includes a decent dessert as those in the WJ are mediocre at best (unless you like plastic looking slices of mousse which lack taste).

However, I will agree that the free burgers served on Celebrity, P&O and especially Carnival (just the run of the mill ones, not even Guys) are far superior to those served on RCI. So I don't feel the need to spend extra on those ships for burgers (even if they offered the option), but on RCI I have to if I want a half decent burger.

That's what I can't understand, how other lines can serve decent burgers for no fee, but RCI can't, or is it more like they won't so they can entice people to JR's?:rolleyes:

As several have stated, taste and value are subjective and I guess that is why the larger ships have so many different dining options.

Personally we always make a point of going to JR's at least once a cruise and sometimes twice depending on what we feel like. We do not have a JR's on land close to us, but I have gone to ones on land when visiting other places. I have not been impressed with the land restaurants at all. However we love the ones on the ships! (Maybe just the ocean air :D )

I am in LOVE with their apple pie with ice cream and would eat there just for dessert!

So agree with all your comments (especially as we don't have JR's in the UK)

We may go every other cruise-it depends. We do not have one in Savannah,Ga-they did open one up in one of the outlet malls near here, recently. There are only 2 of us cruising now- I would not go with a large family-too pricey. We went on one of the last few sea days-Oasis -in May. Did not want to dress up for MDR- or the chaos of windjammer- I justed wanted a nice hot good old cheeseburger and fries, after eating regular food all week in MTD. We set outside and enjoyed the view. I got apple pie to go-and ate it later that evening-it was great! I agree it was nice when it was $3.95 - but cruiser pay $12-14 dollars for a drink on RCL- and think nothing of it- I would rather eat my $6.95 meal.:rolleyes:

You beat me to it, I have one 600 yards away from home. This was a Columbus creation, I remember the original Poncho's other reference, Skyline, I have about 5 with 10 miles, Gina and I can have Dinner for $10.

White Castle is my childhood. Down here we have Crystal. Pretty much the same, different mustard. Only place I know that has both is Louisville, KY.

But when I cruise I avoid the same food I can get at home. So you won't find me scarfing down burgers and fries as a general rule

Same here. I get it with kids, but I'll never understand the adults' attraction for burgers and pizza on ships.

Burt

$7 for 2 cups of latte/cappucino (often 2x a day) or $7 each for a JR burger and smothered fries for lunch. Is it worth it or not? Value is whatever you think it is or should be for the moment.

Edited by cruziJenn

I try to eat as healthy as possible -most of the time.My child is grown-so I may eat burgers only a few times a year- and rarely do fast food either for that matter. But- "On Vacation"- after eating grown-up food all week- I crave a "kid" meal- by the 6-7th day on a cruise. Now I can not stomach RCL Sorentos - that's a whole another thread!

We like JR's because it is something different. The MDR is a bit too loud and intense for us to enjoy everynight. Add the fact that if you want a decent burger, there is no other choice on Royal! Those pre-cooked, gray patties in a pan at the Windjammer just look aweful! Another plus for us is that on Voyager and Freedom class ships, it is the only outside dining area, we we do enjoy at twilight time.

Not trying to entice flamers just wondering....

Recently back from Majesty of the Seas, and saw the Johnny Rockets restaurant, with a $6.95 cover charge. Other than shakes, what benefit is there from paying the cover? Our group of 4 didn't go in, since we couldn't justify the $28 charge, so I'm asking in advance of the next trip.

I understand the food quality is better, burgers, fries, onion rings, and unlimited, but all the other food was unlimited as well.

So just asking. I did read on here that you don't have to pay cover if you just want to get a shake to go, which would have been nice to know. And with premium drink package, free soft drinks wouldn't have mattered either.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

burgers are good but not worth the cover charge in the slightest. sail carnival where guy's burgers are better and don't cost a penny.

DH and I have gone to JR's both times were on Freedom and enjoyed it. Is it the best burger that we have had, of course not. Is it even better than Guys on Carnival, not always...but it is something different and we enjoy the atmosphere and we use the b1g1 shake coupon. I enjoy the JR breakfast though, that is not charge (or wasn't the last time we were on Freedom).

I must admit that when we sail Harmony in November, we won't bother going to JR's simply because there are so many other eating venues on the ship.

I like Guys. I love Johnny Rockets.

Back in the day, before the cover charge, kids would takeover the restaurant to hangout, drink shakes and chat all day long. It was darn near impossible as couple or a family to get in there for lunch. We were told when they implemented the cover-charge, it was to stop that from occurring, which it did. ...

Double dat, a very good point. We sailed on Allure one Easter/Spring Break week, and I can only imagine how that would've been if JR was still free.

$7 for 2 cups of latte/cappucino (often 2x a day) or $7 each for a JR burger and smothered fries for lunch. Is it worth it or not? Value is whatever you think it is or should be for the moment.

I was gonna say I do resent the price increase, but you just talked me out of it.

:rolleyes:

Well I'm from New Zealand, and as I understand JR doesn't operate here or in Aus. So when Voyager/Explorer are down under it's a bit of a novelty. I'd give it a shot onboard at least once - even though I've been to JR in the states.

They don't do the waiter dance anymore either, do they? When it was on the ships in the beginning, even after the cover charge was initially put in, they would do the "doo-wop" type dance to a song. My daughter liked it, as she danced with the waiters, and it gave a little something to the cover charge.

I'm not one to do JR, but the onion rings are pretty good which are hard to get elsewhere sometimes. The shakes as well, though we would just get those to go instead of the cover charge.

JR left me scratching my head on my first cruise back in 2001. I just didn't get it! I'm a Texan and Whataburger is our local burger joint. I wouldn't pay $6.95 cover charge to eat their either. Free burger vs $6.95 burger. FREE would win every time!!!

We like JR's because it is something different. The MDR is a bit too loud and intense for us to enjoy everynight. Add the fact that if you want a decent burger, there is no other choice on Royal! Those pre-cooked, gray patties in a pan at the Windjammer just look aweful! Another plus for us is that on Voyager and Freedom class ships, it is the only outside dining area, we we do enjoy at twilight time.

Totally agree. MDR is one thing on oasis class that is not all that memorable to me, plus I just love the huge variety of choices on those ships, and yes outside, always love that. If we could have it delivered to a table in Central Park would be even better! :)

I was gonna say I do resent the price increase, but you just talked me out of it.

:rolleyes:

:p

We tried JR on the LOS a few years ago and I found it was OK. I, actually, liked that I could order a California burger (Original) without all the insane garbage restaurants like to put on hamburgers these days. The simplicity of the food was what I wanted. Sure I can make a better burger, but who cares? The service was also very good as well and I didn't have to cook. :). To each their own I guess. People get all excited about honey stung chicken, too. A lot of hype for a piece of average breaded chicken.

Voyager class first sailed with Johnny Rockets there was no cover. Was really busy but lot of waste, uneaten burgers and fry's all over deck and pool area. They added and removed charge couple times in 2000/2001. Sure now as then it's also about $$$... And I do love the shakes!